ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 2020 Schedule / Win/Loss Prediction

“Injured plagued team” is disguise for “we have no depth.”
Teams who lose a lot better t starters still win 9-10 games, then debate how they would be without injuries. Bad teams go below .500 and then discuss injuries.
Our team depth is getting better. At least our team can beat Ohio State. Last time I saw Ohio State and ND matchup was Fiesta Bowl and A.J. Hawk nailed both Brady Quinn and Laura Quinn later that night. LOL
Go back to your ND site. We’ll match up soon enough.

Last edited:
Grant would've been starting most/all season at safety but for the torn labrum. And it is Sparks at WR. He wouldve likely ended up by mid season opposite Bell. That other spot ended up being manned by a freshman also.
No way in terms of your argument with the IU guys on here can you pencil in Grant as a starter all year and say he was lost. He may not even start this year when healthy. I’m with you in this debate in general and agree with all your other points but not this one. He is good I agree and will have a shot this year but he wasn’t going to start last year.

Last edited:
Purdue played that Bucket game with the QB who began the year FOURTH on the depth chart - let me know when your loosiers have to go that deep on the depth chart. In addition, Purdue lost it's starting RB before the season began, starting(and all B10 calider)DT before the season, 2 starting WR's(including probably the top one in the B10), 2 starting O-linemen, an all B10 LB, a starter at DB all for the season early/during the year. In addition another starter at LB and DE was lost for multiple games as was another DB. Even with that loss of depth it took the best loosier team in a generation double OT to get the win. Even with all the aforementioned injury losses had Purdue played the iu schedule it's likely purdue goes bowling last year. Not sorry if those facts hard for you to swallow.
People love to bring up that he started 4th on the depth chart but let’s be honest he was the 2nd best QB on the roster probably. So you were using the 2nd best QB just like IU was. Just because the coaching staff had the depth chart wrong to start the year is meaningless.

As far as 85 asking me to name another team that lost people “as crucial” as Purdue did, that’s circular logic. Ask me to find a team that lost players as talented, sure. But crucial? They’re so crucial because Purdue had no depth. Other teams lost more talented players but they weren’t “as crucial” because those teams had somebody else that could step in.

and again... with everybody healthy... couldn’t beat Nevada. So I have a hard time believing this was some team poised to make noise in B1G if not for a few injuries.
I think purdue will be much better in 2020 though.

People love to bring up that he started 4th on the depth chart but let’s be honest he was the 2nd best QB on the roster probably. So you were using the 2nd best QB just like IU was. Just because the coaching staff had the depth chart wrong to start the year is meaningless.

As far as 85 asking me to name another team that lost people “as crucial” as Purdue did, that’s circular logic. Ask me to find a team that lost players as talented, sure. But crucial? They’re so crucial because Purdue had no depth. Other teams lost more talented players but they weren’t “as crucial” because those teams had somebody else that could step in.

and again... with everybody healthy... couldn’t beat Nevada. So I have a hard time believing this was some team poised to make noise in B1G if not for a few injuries.
Sindelar- 3 year starter ( first game anyway) with NFL talent and Plummer were both better than O’Connell. Will agree with you that he wasn’t the “4th best on the roster“, as he was 3rd best. Certainly wasn’t 2nd

There's so much BS in this post.

The impact of losses is the issue. That's not circular logic, just plain d@mn logical. We didn't play with another program's roster, we played with ours. And it's been well documented and discussed for months as to our depth (or lack of), what's being done to address it, and where we stand. It's simply insane to try to argue the losses weren't as significant as they were because we didn't have depth. Talk about "circular logic"!

While Aiden O'Connell performed admirably under the circumstances, there's no way he was #2.

Wow...

so you’re basing what could’ve happened for an entire season on one game multiple time zones away? Come on now.

Counterpoint: Nevada. Disagree. Team had zero depth. People get mad when you bring up that IU also played the bucket with a back up QB because “wahhh but he was starter quality!” Uhhh.. yea. That’s the point. To have more than one person that is starter quality at each position.

You can’t and won’t replace a Rondale, so I get it to an extent, but it’s football and injuries happen. If the only difference between a 7-5 team and a 4-8 team is one guy, then that’s not much of a team at all. Sorry if this news is hard to swallow for anybody. Disclaimer- Not trying to Edimucate purdue fans, just talking football.

It’s not rocket science. In football, you can’t easily overhaul a crappy roster in a short period of time like you can in basketball. The depth is still being built up from a terrible roster inherited from Hazell. That plus losing nearly all of your major contributors factored into the 4-8 record last year.

Okay.

ND, 2015.

First game against Texas, lost 5 Star RB Folston. Lost starting Zaire QB second game. Lost 5 Star, future All American, Pro Bowl, 1st team All Pro, Quentin Nelson 3rd game. Lost his replacement, future NFL OL, Alex Bars, the next game. Lost Folston replacement, 1,000 yard rusher in 8 games & future NFL draft pick CJ Procise in week 9. Lost 1st team All American & award winner Jaylon Smith. Lost starting CB Crawford in week 1, and future NFL pick DT Jarron Jones in first week. Lost other starting CB Kavarie Russell.

Still won 10 games, including a 2 point loss (on final play of game) on the road to eventual National Runner Up Clemson. And a 2 point loss on a final FG on the road to top 5 Stanford.

I think you might be the “moron.”

Tell me you’re not comparing Purdue’s overall roster last year to ND’s in 2015. Did that 2015 ND inherit a Darrell Hazell roster? Your reading comprehension needs some work.

Reactions: purduepat1969

Bullshit! O'Connell may(MAY at best) have overtaken Sipe at some point during the season without injuries but wouldn't have started a game but for injuries to Sindelar AND Plummer. Add in the ridiculous number of additional roster losses and it was an unusually high number of hits to a roster that was already nowhere near ready to absorb them. Again, even with all of the injuries, had Purdue faced iu's schedule, even with the attrition it would've made a bowl.

Also, your loosiers would most likely have lost to Nevada, playing out there, 1st game of the season. Good thing iu continually schedules a near high school level of non-conference opponents annually.

Purdue was down the cheerleaders in the Bucket game those cheerleaders took Indiana to double overtime. That's how many injuries Purdue had last year. Lol

Reactions: Inspector100
Also, your loosiers would most likely have lost to Nevada, playing out there, 1st game of the season. Good thing iu continually schedules a near high school level of non-conference opponents annually.
Blame the AD who scheduled the game at Nevada (may he rest in peace). Was not a great decision.

Last edited:
Sounds like there is a reasonable chance the schedule gets cut to only P5 opponents. Ouch, only 4 home games. I'd say 5-5 is reasonable if it goes that direction.

@Nebraska
@ Boston College
Rutgers
@ Illinois
@ Michigan
Northwestern
@ Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
@ Indiana

Also a decent chance BC, Rutgers, and Northwestern opt out of the football season. Double ouch!

Last edited:
Sounds like there is a reasonable chance the schedule gets cut to only P5 opponents. Ouch, only 4 home games. I'd say 5-5 is reasonable if it goes that direction.

@Nebraska
@ Boston College
Rutgers
@ Illinois
@ Michigan
Northwestern
@ Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
@ Indiana

Also a decent chance BC, Rutgers, and Northwestern opt out of the football season. Double ouch!
10 BIG games - 5 home, 5 away. 8-2.

at Nebraska - W - Brohm gets off the snide in openers and continues to haunt Scott Frost.
Michigan State - W - MSU struggles out of gate with new coach.
Rutgers - W - Even with Schiano, they are a bad team.
at Illinois - W - They were lucky last year in the rain, not this year.
at Michigan - L - As much as I’d love to see us beat UM in the Big House, I don’t see it.
Northwestern - W - Northwestern will be better this year, so will we - much better.
at Minnesota - L - I hate Fleck with a passion, but we have trouble winning in Minneapolis.
Wisconsin - W - Finally the curse of “The Fumble” is broken. Badgers don’t have Taylor to haunt us anymore.
Iowa - W - Brohm continues his good success vs. the Hawkeyes.
at Indiana - W - Brohm avenges least season’s injury-plagued OT heartbreaker in dominant fashion.

Reactions: Purdue85
Bullshit! O'Connell may(MAY at best) have overtaken Sipe at some point during the season without injuries but wouldn't have started a game but for injuries to Sindelar AND Plummer. Add in the ridiculous number of additional roster losses and it was an unusually high number of hits to a roster that was already nowhere near ready to absorb them. Again, even with all of the injuries, had Purdue faced iu's schedule, even with the attrition it would've made a bowl.
O’Connell is better than Plummer. 2nd best on the roster behind Sindelar last year. TBD on whether he is better than the 3rd stringer off a 4-8 UCLA team.

O’Connell is better than Plummer. 2nd best on the roster behind Sindelar last year. TBD on whether he is better than the 3rd stringer off a 4-8 UCLA team.

O'Connell played well the last part of the season, but is not better than Plummer. O'Connell also began the year FOURTH on the depth chart, a fact that you continue to ignore. Both are better than a former utah(backup) transfer who looked pretty bad in his appearance for iu last year(a real "deer in the headlights" look with that guy).

Plummer is better IMO. Oh and what’s with TeeJay being so delusional over there? It’s actually really funny to read. He claims we have huge problems on o-line, TE, RB, DB, and DL. O-line should be the best that Brohm has had, TE is young but talented, RB is young but talented (Doerue and Tirek Murphy), DB we have both starters back and add DJ Johnson from Iowa who should be eligible immediately. DL has one of the best linemen in the conference and assuming Neal comes back to his old self, he’s a top 3 or 4 round NFL guy. Not to mention we have the best WR room in the conference. I also get a kick out of the Brohm being overpaid comments too (I think you posted that actually). If IU had been in the same boat, no way they pay that kind of money to keep Brohm. That’s what happens when other programs want your coach. You’ll know what that feels like if/when other programs seriously try to poach Allen. Brohm getting a big pay increase didn’t suddenly make the dumpster fire he inherited any easier. Losing McCulley sucks but I think Allen is going to be a beast.

O'Connell played well the last part of the season, but is not better than Plummer. O'Connell also began the year FOURTH on the depth chart, a fact that you continue to ignore. Both are better than a former utah(backup) transfer who looked pretty bad in his appearance for iu last year(a real "deer in the headlights" look with that guy).

There's a narrative trying to be sold here, in an effort to make our devastating injuries seem not as severe/significant as they were.

It won't work.

Ok and David Bell started fall camp 2nd on the depth chart, does that mean he’s the 4th or 6th best receiver on the team? Of course not. By the bucket game O’Connell was playing better than any QB on the roster save Sindelar. Had your 2nd best QB play the game just like IU did. IU’s 2nd stringer was just a lot better. Not trying to be controversial, just facts. The injury narrative is sad. What it really is is a depth narrative as I continue to point out.

Ok and David Bell started fall camp 2nd on the depth chart, does that mean he’s the 4th or 6th best receiver on the team? Of course not. By the bucket game O’Connell was playing better than any QB on the roster save Sindelar. Had your 2nd best QB play the game just like IU did. IU’s 2nd stringer was just a lot better. Not trying to be controversial, just facts. The injury narrative is sad. What it really is is a depth narrative as I continue to point out.

No way to know what Plummer would’ve looked like by that point in the season. He very well could’ve been playing extremely well by then. By the bucket game, we were down to AOC and a freshman who they would’ve had to have pulled a redshirt from. There were talks of letting freshman safety Cam Allen take over as emergency QB to be able to preserve Piferi’s RS. We lost Sindelar, Plummer, and Sipe all at points during the year.

10 BIG games - 5 home, 5 away. 8-2.

at Nebraska - W - Brohm gets off the snide in openers and continues to haunt Scott Frost.
Michigan State - W - MSU struggles out of gate with new coach.
Rutgers - W - Even with Schiano, they are a bad team.
at Illinois - W - They were lucky last year in the rain, not this year.
at Michigan - L - As much as I’d love to see us beat UM in the Big House, I don’t see it.
Northwestern - W - Northwestern will be better this year, so will we - much better.
at Minnesota - L - I hate Fleck with a passion, but we have trouble winning in Minneapolis.
Wisconsin - W - Finally the curse of “The Fumble” is broken. Badgers don’t have Taylor to haunt us anymore.
Iowa - W - Brohm continues his good success vs. the Hawkeyes.
at Indiana - W - Brohm avenges least season’s injury-plagued OT heartbreaker in dominant fashion.
Interesting and would love to see 8-2.
I'm going with 6-4:
Losses will be:
Michigan - It is the Big House. Never been favorable for Purdue.
Wisconsin - Even though J. Taylor is gone, they'll have a running game.
Minnesota - Would love this to turn around this year. Could be toss up if healthy.
NW or if Penn State is added...them. Pat Fitzgerald will not let NW suck as bad as they were two years in a row. NW won't beat themselves.

No way to know what Plummer would’ve looked like by that point in the season. He very well could’ve been playing extremely well by then. By the bucket game, we were down to AOC and a freshman who they would’ve had to have pulled a redshirt from. There were talks of letting freshman safety Cam Allen take over as emergency QB to be able to preserve Piferi’s RS. We lost Sindelar, Plummer, and Sipe all at points during the year.
Hey, I’m on your side of the Purdue - IU banter and debate, but your comment regarding Cam Allen is totally false. This was never given consideration by Brohm , only in here with the fans . And the comment regarding Piferi is as well. We could have let O’Connell finish the Nebraska game, as he did when Plummer got hurt, and then Piferi could have played the last 3 and hung on to his redshirt as he had not appeared in any game in the season yet.

That's simply void of any logic.

By the Bucket game Aiden was the ONLY QB playing, so OF COURSE he was playing "better than any QB on the roster". The only reason Aiden got the chance to play was due to the devastating injury to Jack Plummer.

Clearly, you're smarter than Jeff Brohm.

You keep beating the depth drum. No sh*t, Sherlock. We've addressed that ad nauseum on this forum. Someone did the research already, and demonstrated that there was no other team hit by injuries like 2019 Purdue team.

Goodness.

and now we have GBI writers writing stories about we should be happy our non-conference games were canceled, and we should have a better record because of it. If this team in it's 4th year under Brohm with all the talent he has brought in can't beat teams like Memphis, Air Force and Boston College this year, then it never will, and no progress has really been made other than to bring purdue back to mediocrity. Those 3 teams despite their records are not really formidable teams. It's not like we're playing Auburn, or USC, or UNC, or ND or Miami . We're talking Memphis and USAF. and we should be happy we won't have to play them? We lost to both Nevada and some team from Michigan. Western? Eastern? Southern? northern? if purdue is afraid of losing to Memphis, they should apply to the MAC! or join University of Chicago.

I guess this forum LOVES mediocrity and 6-6 records..

Even the most casual fan knows we beat OSU on a very emotional day at Purdue. On any other day or field, OSU would have won. th t game was much like the first Saints game after katrina. The entire world could sense whoever the Saints played, they would have won. the same was with purdue on that special day.

So to say this team is great because we beat OSU on a very emotional day is not really accurately describing how good or bad our team is/was. We also beat Michigan 14-13 one year. anybody with a brain knows our team was nowhere close to the level of that team either.

I know some of you love this team, and you will scream your head off at anybody who tries to be realistic. Face the facts, while 6-6 is better than what hazell could produce, going 7-6, 6-7 and 4-8 is really nothing to brag about.

That's simply void of any logic.

By the Bucket game Aiden was the ONLY QB playing, so OF COURSE he was playing "better than any QB on the roster". The only reason Aiden got the chance to play was due to the devastating injury to Jack Plummer.

Clearly, you're smarter than Jeff Brohm.

You keep beating the depth drum. No sh*t, Sherlock. We've addressed that ad nauseum on this forum. Someone did the research already, and demonstrated that there was no other team hit by injuries like 2019 Purdue team.

Goodness.

there were other QBs on the team at that time. it's just Aiden was thought to provide purdue the best chance of winning. Aiden was a walk-on. we had several other walk-ons. We also had several QBs playing other positions who could have gone back to playing QB. like Sparks! if the need arose.

there were other QBs on the team at that time. it's just Aiden was thought to provide purdue the best chance of winning. Aiden was a walk-on. we had several other walk-ons. We also had several QBs playing other positions who could have gone back to playing QB. like Sparks! if the need arose.

and.he.was.the.4th.QB.

In other words, my point remains.

and now we have GBI writers writing stories about we should be happy our non-conference games were canceled, and we should have a better record because of it. If this team in it's 4th year under Brohm with all the talent he has brought in can't beat teams like Memphis, Air Force and Boston College this year, then it never will, and no progress has really been made other than to bring purdue back to mediocrity. Those 3 teams despite their records are not really formidable teams. It's not like we're playing Auburn, or USC, or UNC, or ND or Miami . We're talking Memphis and USAF. and we should be happy we won't have to play them? We lost to both Nevada and some team from Michigan. Western? Eastern? Southern? northern? if purdue is afraid of losing to Memphis, they should apply to the MAC! or join University of Chicago.

I guess this forum LOVES mediocrity and 6-6 records..

Even the most casual fan knows we beat OSU on a very emotional day at Purdue. On any other day or field, OSU would have won. th t game was much like the first Saints game after katrina. The entire world could sense whoever the Saints played, they would have won. the same was with purdue on that special day.

So to say this team is great because we beat OSU on a very emotional day is not really accurately describing how good or bad our team is/was. We also beat Michigan 14-13 one year. anybody with a brain knows our team was nowhere close to the level of that team either.

I know some of you love this team, and you will scream your head off at anybody who tries to be realistic. Face the facts, while 6-6 is better than what hazell could produce, going 7-6, 6-7 and 4-8 is really nothing to brag about.

there's zero point to your post. ZERO.

Unless, of course, you want to make everyone as miserable as you.

Some people are fans; they love to follow (and believe in) this program. Fine... you don't. You want to crap all over it. Duly noted.

I've never understood the, "you're accepting mediocrity" nonsense. As if you're not accepting it? If you're not, then what is it ... of SUBSTANCE ... you're doing about it? What the h*ll are you doing about it??? I mean, other than p*ssing and moaning at other people posting here, and patting yourself on the back for wanting "more". (As if you're the only person wanting improvement.)

Who is saying 'this team is great'? most everyone posting has recognized the facts: the depleted roster Brohm inherited; the fantastic results he posted early on; the step back in the W/L column; the massive (and unimaginable) injuries that killed our season; the lack of depth; the slow improvement in depth... (and on, and on).

Nobody has "scream(ed) (their) head off" at you, or anyone else. Do people hold you to account when you post something ridiculous? Yes. Do you ignore many of those responses, because you've painted yourself into a ridiculously indefensible corner? Yes.

Don't get me wrong; P*ss and moan all you like. Lately, you've had a variety of posts that I've simply ignored (to be clear, those posts to which I've not responded). This one is just absurd, even by your standards.

Good greif, bigs.

Reactions: jindy
there's zero point to your post. ZERO.
Unless, of course, you want to make everyone as miserable as you.
Bigs seems to desire for the fanbase to remain miserable. I'm excited for this season. I'm sad with regards to non-conference cancellations as it would be good measuring stick to see if Purdue improved. On the plus side is reduced injuries and less exposure to COVID-19, travel, hotels, etc.

Reactions: jindy

Just facts? Bullshit. Plummer was ahead of O'Connell on the depth chart for a reason. He also threw for 400+ yards in a game and played pretty damn well at Iowa also. So congratulations, the iu 2nd string QB(who had started basically the entire prior season by the way) got a win against Purdue's 3rd best QB(a walk-on who began the year 4th string, yet still had 400 yards against iu's defense). Just facts.
The number of injuries suffered by Purdue last fall was sad, especially to a roster that wasn't in position to absorb them.
Brohm took over a program devoid of any true depth with very poor records prior to his arrival and went to bowls in his first two seasons. Under him purdue has 7 wins over teams that finished with winning records(6 of them P5 programs). Conversely Allen took over a program with far more depth and recent success yet has just 3 wins over teams that finished with winning records(only one of which is a P5 program, and one of those other "monumental" wins was against an FCS program). Had iu suffered anywhere close to the number of injuries that Purdue did last fall iu wouldn't have gone bowling (even with a JV level non-conference schedule).

Sparks was injured, dummy. He played 2 games, got hurt then tried to play in the Iowa game and was subsequently done for the year. Thus, would've been a little hard for him to play QB.

More cluelessness from the wole keyboard.

Just facts? Bullshit. Plummer was ahead of O'Connell on the depth chart for a reason. He also threw for 400+ yards in a game and played pretty damn well at Iowa also. So congratulations, the iu 2nd string QB(who had started basically the entire prior season by the way) got a win against Purdue's 3rd best QB(a walk-on who began the year 4th string, yet still had 400 yards against iu's defense). Just facts.
The number of injuries suffered by Purdue last fall was sad, especially to a roster that wasn't in position to absorb them.
Brohm took over a program devoid of any true depth with very poor records prior to his arrival and went to bowls in his first two seasons. Under him purdue has 7 wins over teams that finished with winning records(6 of them P5 programs). Conversely Allen took over a program with far more depth and recent success yet has just 3 wins over teams that finished with winning records(only one of which is a P5 program, and one of those other "monumental" wins was against an FCS program). Had iu suffered anywhere close to the number of injuries that Purdue did last fall iu wouldn't have gone bowling (even with a JV level non-conference schedule).
Wow, I just agreed with jindy.
Only addtl comment I'd toss in was IU needed OT to win it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT