Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - L
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - W
@ Indiana - W

That would put us at 7-5. If we were to play just in-conference 10 game schedule, I could see us at 5-5. And maybe we squeak out another win and go 6-4.

So here's my take on 2020 with predicted wins/losses:

@ Nebraska - L
Memphis - W
Air Force - W
@ Boston College - W
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - L
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - W
@ Indiana - W

That would put us at 7-5. If we were to play just in-conference 10 game schedule, I could see us at 5-5. And maybe we squeak out another win and go 6-4.

@ Nebraska - W
Memphis - L
Air Force - W
@ Boston College - W
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - W
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - W
@ Indiana - W

Iowa and Nebraska are tough ones for me. I could see us going 2-0, 0-2, 1-1.

@ Nebraska - L
Memphis - L
Air Force - W
@ Boston College - W
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - W
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - L
@ Indiana - L

@ Nebraska - L
Memphis - L
Air Force - W
@ Boston College - W
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - W
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - L
@ Indiana - L
Nice try troll. I know that you don't believe this. If you do let's get a bet going and everyone on this board can get in on it.

@ Nebraska - L
Memphis - W
Air Force - W
@ Boston College -L
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - L
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - L
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - W
@ Indiana - Toss Up But I'll take PU even at IU. W
7 losses. 5 wins.

There's some boys on BC who will remember what PU did to them in their last game, and you might switch Northwestern and IU.

@ Nebraska - L
Memphis - L
Air Force - W
@ Boston College - W
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - W
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - L
@ Indiana - L

Losing our last 4 games lol.

@ Nebraska - L
Memphis - W
Air Force - W
@ Boston College - W
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - L
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - W
@ Indiana - W

If healthy 7-5, if not 5-7 or 4-8. It is time to stop the L’s to Wisconsin and get a W this year. We have been close to winning two of the last three years.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
If they avoid the slow start, 9 wins.

If first few games are like it's been the last couple years, 5 or 6.

That’s the thing. We’ve yet to have a cake non-conference schedule. It feels like we’re always up there in terms of difficult in terms of non-conference SOS. Air Force and Memphis are solid and playing a road ACC game isn’t easy either.

That’s the thing. We’ve yet to have a cake non-conference schedule. It feels like we’re always up there in terms of difficult in terms of non-conference SOS. Air Force and Memphis are solid and playing a road ACC game isn’t easy either.
woof.....I just looked up when the Memphis contract was signed and it was August of 2017, on the heels of 8 ('16), 9 ('15), and 10 ('14) win seasons. Ambitious scheduling for 2020 when your easiest non-con game is probably a middle of the pack ACC team.

At least you all get Oregon St., UCONN, and Indiana St. peppered in over the next few years.

woof.....I just looked up when the Memphis contract was signed and it was August of 2017, on the heels of 8 ('16), 9 ('15), and 10 ('14) win seasons. Ambitious scheduling for 2020 when your easiest non-con game is probably a middle of the pack ACC team.

At least you all get Oregon St., UCONN, and Indiana St. peppered in over the next few years.

I doubt any of the future Purdue schedules will measure up to Ball State, Eastern Illinois and UConn.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
Lulz. I wasn't trying to stir up any hornet nests with scheduling comparisons.

I sincerely meant that it'll be better for your team to have at least 1 "breather" game a year in the future. Because it doesn't look like it's going to be this year.
duly noted. thanks for the follow up. (This forum gets infested with a lot of bullsh*t on a regular basis.)

Reactions: TMFT
I doubt any of the future Purdue schedules will measure up to Ball State, Eastern Illinois and UConn.

:rolleyes:

Ball State is a good non-con opponent. UConn was better when they were scheduled. But Eastern Illinois - no reason for that game whatsoever.

Ball State is a good non-con opponent. UConn was better when they were scheduled. But Eastern Illinois - no reason for that game whatsoever.

Well, for IU, maybe. It gives IU a reasonable chance to pad the "W" count.

I guess it depends on what the word "good" means.

Ball State would not be considered a "good non-con opponent" for most P5 teams.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I will say 7-5. and i' m tired of people using injuries as excuses for losing. our competition also has injuries. OSU played without star players and still trounced their competition. By now, we should have developed enough depth at every position that we can overcome injuries to key players. Good teams win games despite injuries. I' m tired of the but … but... but … but posts. You have to build a team and expect injuries. If you don't you're not preparing or developing your team. IU lost Cronk last year. They found a better replacement. We should have done the same with Neal and Bailey. Our depth has sucked for the past 4 decades. We are not a 22 man team. Our second stringers need to step up.

looking at the other posts, I see the most optimistic poster pointing towards a 7-5 season at best. Is that actually something we all expected with the talent we brought here? two years ago, people were talking 8-9 wins and challenging for the Big 10 West crown, and now we're saying 7-5 if we're healthy?

I said it before and I'll say it again, I prefer a boring 8-4 or 9-3 record against inferior teams and a low scoring offense than having a high powered scoring offense and going 6-6 again. Going 7-5 seems like kind of a disappointment after reading all the posts from the previous 3 years and all the hype.

the reality of Purdue being Purdue sets in. it would be nice if we went to a bowl game I've actually heard of once in 10 years.

Reactions: wakeman2626
I will say 7-5. and i' m tired of people using injuries as excuses for losing. our competition also has injuries. OSU played without star players and still trounced their competition. By now, we should have developed enough depth at every position that we can overcome injuries to key players. Good teams win games despite injuries. I' m tired of the but … but... but … but posts. You have to build a team and expect injuries. If you don't you're not preparing or developing your team. IU lost Cronk last year. They found a better replacement. We should have done the same with Neal and Bailey. Our depth has sucked for the past 4 decades. We are not a 22 man team. Our second stringers need to step up.

looking at the other posts, I see the most optimistic poster pointing towards a 7-5 season at best. Is that actually something we all expected with the talent we brought here? two years ago, people were talking 8-9 wins and challenging for the Big 10 West crown, and now we're saying 7-5 if we're healthy?

I said it before and I'll say it again, I prefer a boring 8-4 or 9-3 record against inferior teams and a low scoring offense than having a high powered scoring offense and going 6-6 again. Going 7-5 seems like kind of a disappointment after reading all the posts from the previous 3 years and all the hype.

the reality of Purdue being Purdue sets in. it would be nice if we went to a bowl game I've actually heard of once in 10 years.
I don’t think we have had time to build the kinda depth you are talking about. Our 2018 recruiting class ( redshirt freshman) were just getting on the field for the first time ( except J Alexander) and all contributed nicely. Bramel, Miller( once they got a little experience), Plummer, Amad Anderson, Durham on offense and Trice, Alexander, Sullivan, Johnson on Defense. The 2019 class were true freshman who had a few nice contributors, and the 2020 class just got here. That’s not a lot of time for depth building. Your post will hold some merit if you reposted it 3 years from now. Now it’s just your normal hot air.

What a negative Nelly. If you follow Big Ten football you’ve heard of (formerly) the Foster Farms Bowl. And if you follow any college football you’ve heard of the Music City Bowl. Can’t take your hyperbole, you’re too much.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Sorry for the IU hijacking of your thread. I know it frustrates me on ours.

But back to the original point of the thread,

What game(s) is your predictor on whether it's going to be a "good" season?

Like, obviously a 4-0 start through a tough beginning of season would be portend well for the rest of the year and what's possible. But is your number 4-0, 3-1, or even 2-2? I'd think 3-1 would still lend itself to a good year without having to rely on going gangbusters through the B1G schedule.

Sorry for the IU hijacking of your thread. I know it frustrates me on ours.

But back to the original point of the thread,

What game(s) is your predictor on whether it's going to be a "good" season?

Like, obviously a 4-0 start through a tough beginning of season would be portend well for the rest of the year and what's possible. But is your number 4-0, 3-1, or even 2-2? I'd think 3-1 would still lend itself to a good year without having to rely on going gangbusters through the B1G schedule.
IMHO, 2-2 with solid finishes in losses after first four games.
First three games will be tough with Big CONF game on the road and 2 quality opponents that know how to win. Would love win 2 of 3 out of the gate...trying to be real though.

@ Nebraska - L
Memphis - L
Air Force - W
@ Boston College - W
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - W
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - L
@ Indiana - L
We're talking football so why are you even here? Aside from your trollish list here, IU fans shouldn't be trying to predict anything.

Oh and if unlike last year and we are healthy, there zero chance we lose to IU.

Why do iu fans obsess with us so much? Seriously.

If we're healthy unlike last year, we have the talent to be really good again I think.

@Nebraska - L
Memphis - W
Air Force - W
@ Boston College - W
Rutgers - W
@ Illinois - W
@ Michigan - L
Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - L
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - W
@ Indiana - W (By a lot)

I'm more of a probability guy

@Nebraska - 50%
Memphis - 60%
Air Force - 65%
@ Boston College - 65%
Rutgers - 80%
@ Illinois - 50%
@ Michigan - 20%
Northwestern - 65%
@ Minnesota - 35%
Wisconsin - 25%
Iowa - 65%
@ Indiana - 60%

6.4 W - 5.6 L

Reactions: Level 42
I'm more of a probability guy

@Nebraska - 50%
Memphis - 60%
Air Force - 65%
@ Boston College - 65%
Rutgers - 80%
@ Illinois - 50%
@ Michigan - 20%
Northwestern - 65%
@ Minnesota - 35%
Wisconsin - 25%
Iowa - 65%
@ Indiana - 60%

6.4 W - 5.6 L

I'd go a little higher on Mich, Minn, & Wis.

I'd go a lot higher on Illinois (like 75%). I don't know if it was the weather causing all the PU drops, but that was just a very poorly executed game that didn't reflect the teams, IMO.

Probably a tick lower on Iowa.

Lot of coin flip (more or less) games, which sounds accurate. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they took 2 of the bigger upsets and also lose one head scratcher.

We're talking football so why are you even here? Aside from your trollish list here, IU fans shouldn't be trying to predict anything.

Oh and if unlike last year and we are healthy, there zero chance we lose to IU.

Why do iu fans obsess with us so much? Seriously.

I'm here because I can be...

Saw this tweet ranking top OL’s in country.
Purdue has to play multiple teams (Iowa & Minny), & even the top G5 OL in AF.

I'd go a little higher on Mich, Minn, & Wis.

I'd go a lot higher on Illinois (like 75%). I don't know if it was the weather causing all the PU drops, but that was just a very poorly executed game that didn't reflect the teams, IMO.

Probably a tick lower on Iowa.

Lot of coin flip (more or less) games, which sounds accurate. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they took 2 of the bigger upsets and also lose one head scratcher.
I don't know what to make of Illinois, honestly. I agree that game was kind of flukey with the weather, but they did also beat Wisconsin and made a bowl game. Not sure if they are on the upswing or if that was an aberration. Going on the road is never easy, regardless - see PU vs. Rutgers 2017.

As for Wiscy, staring down a 14 game losing streak.. 25% may actually be a bit generous. And a 1-in-5 chance at the Big House is well above our historical average in that stadium.

I am tempering expectations (for now) with an unrelenting schedule and needing a bunch of things to fall into place on the defensive side of the ball. Making an opening statement in Lincoln could change the tone quickly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT