ADVERTISEMENT

Projected Wins by Vegas

To be honest the issue isnt offense. Purdues offense has done well enough to win games. Their defense lost them.

This is the biggest misconception that rarely gets challenged. Purdue has averaged 8th in the B10 in scoring offense over the last two years. Now one could say the issue is both and I don't have a problem with that but Brohm hasn't lived up to the hype of the offensive guru we hoped he was.

Purdue's backfield is so weak, i don't see Purdue making great strides on offense until they upgrade the quarterback and running back positions. They may want to start by trying to find starters that other P5 schools thought were worthy of a scholarship,

If we start 5 walkons again this year that's not good.

Everything certainly isn’t great. Last year especially for me was a disappointment (Rutgers game especially). I just don’t buy into the sky is falling. But even last year we won double(should have been triple) the number of Big Ten games we were winning under Hazel.

We must get better on defense. And we then have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot when we have chances to score.

I see hope because I think there was a LOT of young guys playing last year and some pf them are talented. If I remember correctly we had 15 starters as freshman and sophomores in our starting line up. That is a lot.

I agree with everyone that we need to see some improvements though. I think now the floor should be bowl game.

To me the problem, since 2003, has been the bottom end .. since then, we always have had one or more guys that opposing coaches could pick on enough to hurt us.

“well, what do you mean by that?” What I mean is.. Deante Ferrell (eventually pollard), Kevin nesfield and Brent Grover may not have been NFL bound, but they weren’t guys where an opposing coach can yell “stop the film!!! That guy!! Right there.. him. We will make a living off of him.”

you couldn’t say “oh yeah well Shaun Phillips will never get to the QB because we will just get the ball out quick by making our lunch money off of Ferrell in space.” You had to say “let’s see if we can get a quality throw while Ferrell tries to hold his coverage/be in the right place/not be victimized in space. Oh.. wait, what’s that.. brady Quinn is rolling around on the ground because ferrell didn’t get abused and Phillips and terrill popped him?”

so you say.. a lot of young guys played. In defense? Where? Who? Marvin grant started but he’s been hurt both years. If he gets nicked up again who goes next to cam Allen? Khali Saunders got run? Any young linebackers or were they relying on Kieran Douglas? Were they relying on semisi? DEs? DTs? We had young skill guys playing on offense. I didn’t see all these young guys playing overall.

and this isn’t to crap on you or brohm but.. if we see the immediate effect of an oc brothers and guys like that and it’s like 2017 where you say “oh this is instantly different” then fine, I’ll be the first one to raise my hand. But suggesting that we have any reason to believe that sanoussi Kane or khali Saunders or Greg Hudgins will give us anything is founded on nothing. We lost a whole season defensively

Funny how Brohm was made out to be the QB whisperer with this high octane offense. At this point he's nothing more than a snake oil salesman who took Purdue for a lot of cash...
Yeah, since Sindelar was leading the nation prior to getting hurt and we lost one of the top 5 Receivers in the country. That year was going to be statistically huge for the offense. Wins? Not sure. But numbers by a QB.. huge.

It might be a pipe dream, but I refuse to predict a loss to IU. I am going with 6-6. The rest of the predictions look reasonable.

Yeah, since Sindelar was leading the nation prior to getting hurt and we lost one of the top 5 Receivers in the country. That year was going to be statistically huge for the offense. Wins? Not sure. But numbers by a QB.. huge.

i hear you. The problem with brohm to me from an offensive play call standpoint is.. he got the big contract and then ended up in injury scenarios where to me.. if you go for broke and fail, a reasonable person is like “yeah he went for the throat in scenarios where we were gonna suck any damn way.” But then he coached Like he had something to protect and got the bad Results he seemed to be afraid he’d get lol.

I’m in the middle on brohm and the program. I don’t think we have Mac talent and brohm is Danny hope .. yet. But I also don’t buy into this idea that you can’t look around and say “dude they’ve had four years, why is this guy out there.. not that I have a problem with this young man wanting to compete, but how have they not done better at this spot??”

I’d like to see brohm, regardless of how the roster looks, go back to 2017 where he was taking the kind of risks that had players like Jackson anthrop and Gregory Phillips making big plays. I’m not with the people that think he doesn’t have it in him. I just wanna see it.

Really picking on Grover?
i hear you. The problem with brohm to me from an offensive play call standpoint is.. he got the big contract and then ended up in injury scenarios where to me.. if you go for broke and fail, a reasonable person is like “yeah he went for the throat in scenarios where we were gonna suck any damn way.” But then he coached Like he had something to protect and got the bad Results he seemed to be afraid he’d get lol.

I’m in the middle on brohm and the program. I don’t think we have Mac talent and brohm is Danny hope .. yet. But I also don’t buy into this idea that you can’t look around and say “dude they’ve had four years, why is this guy out there.. not that I have a problem with this young man wanting to compete, but how have they not done better at this spot??”

I’d like to see brohm, regardless of how the roster looks, go back to 2017 where he was taking the kind of risks that had players like Jackson anthrop and Gregory Phillips making big plays. I’m not with the people that think he doesn’t have it in him. I just wanna see it.
Brohm is starting to remind me of colletto. Aggregator of talent. Questionable head coach

Really picking on Grover?

Brohm is starting to remind me of colletto. Aggregator of talent. Questionable head coach

I’m not picking on Grover. I’m saying he couldn’t be victimized. We’ve always had at least one guy who could. Since 03.. usually more than one.

when you think top end vs. bottom end.. having bell, Wright and Moore on the field together couldn’t overcome the number of players we had that could be exploited by opposing coaches.

A couple of analysts in Vegas are projecting Purdue with 5 to 5 1/2 wins in 2021. IMHO, that would be disappointing to say the least.

What is everyone's thoughts on wins this season based on the schedule?

Based on past performances in the Brohm era, I'd say most likely 3 with 4 a possibility. Outside shot at 5 if the league is weak? Anything less than 7 this many years into his tenure should put him on the hottest of hot seats.

Last edited:
Instead of just throwing out a number, why not just go through the schedule & assign a W or L & at the end count them up?
Oregon St. W
UConn W
at ND L
Illinois W
Minn W
at Iowa L
Wisconsin L
at NU L
MSU W
at OSU L
at N L
IU L

That’s 5-7.
There are four games that could go either way so I split them 2-2, and that’s being generous becaus I could easily see 1-3 in those games.

Even with a bonus win that’s 6-6.
Is 4-8 to 6-6 good enough?

Disagree? What’s your schedule breakdown?
You could flip Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Indiana.

- Brohm always seems to have Iowa's number.
- Northwestern loses approximately 97 seniors.
- Wisconsin looked pretty not good last year except for 1 game against Illinois, unless Mertz can be God every game, there's no Jonathan Taylor to carry them offensively anymore and they lose some important defensive pieces from what was a very good defense
- Nebraska lost their best player and don't have a QB that could hit the ocean with a football while out deep sea fishing.
- Indiana, rivalry games rarely are overly 1-sided, coin flip can land on both sides.

Hard to win games when both lines aren't developing strength like we would expect.
Neither line was the reason we lost last year (outside of maybe Nebraska). Defensive scheme cost at least 1 if not 2 games. Refs cost a game as well.

Coaching on both sides was the issue last year.

They werent dominated in that game. Purdue lost its best defender (Barnes) and Diaco made zero adjustments. Dafuq was he doing running a 3 man front when it was obvious they were going to run the veer for an entire quarter.

Reactions: purduepat1969
They werent dominated in that game. Purdue lost its best defender (Barnes) and Diaco made zero adjustments. Dafuq was he doing running a 3 man front when it was obvious they were going to run the veer for an entire quarter.
May have been the low point of the season, watching them line up and drive the ball like that. And we stay in a 3 man front. Smh.

The defense scheme was bad, but if we don't get blown off the line every snap, it would have helped.

I about threw up watching that crap.

And for everyone wailing about the offense not being very good, having a defense that almost never gets stops makes offense harder. The fact that we have had an atrocious defense for 3 years and haven't lost 25+ games is remarkable

The defense scheme was bad, but if we don't get blown off the line every snap, it would have helped.
With a 4 man front, you would have at least had another OL taken up, keeping the LBs cleaner. As it was, the Gs had a free run at our LBs.

5-7. Brohm always starts out the year losing to somebody we have no business losing to. Brohm's best season was his first year with the talent Hazell collected. it's obvious Brohm knows his talent assembled has under achieved. Just look at his transfer portal signings this off season as quick fixes in a win now mode. He hasn't added this many quick fix experienced players since his first year. I really like that kicker he signed. brohm is a great judge of talent. he wouldn't be so active in quick fix actions unless there was a reason. Either he knows he needs to win now, or he's not impressed with the current players returning. or both.

Several points most people don't talk about much.

Several posters pointed out Purdue still lacks depth. this is hard to believe. But it's hard to build depth when your mediocre players with experience keep leaving and are replaced with transfers and first year players. at some point in time, purdue needs to see the importance of keeping mediocre experienced players rather than constantly bring in classes of 25+ new players. at some point in time, you need to stop blaming previous coaches and ask yourself, why does this team always have a lack of depth? the main reason is this team does NOT develop its players who are not starters. there is a tremendous drop-off between the starters and their replacements. look at Iu and cronk. whe n he became injured, they found another player who was even better and he replaced him. return your eyes to purdue. When our star players were hurt, we found nobody really capable of replacing them. our second string players were nowhere close to the ability of our starters. That's not a knock on recruiting. that's called lack of development.

I will readily admit Purdue has made a lot of progress under brohm. his offense has scored a lot of points. The players' talent level has significantly increased. the facilities are a lot better. and fan interest has increased. Purdue football is a lot better since brohm arrived. it's a lot more exciting.

BUT ....................................

the same exact statement can be said for every team Purdue plays. Drop by a UW or IU forum. they believe their team has made tremendous progress and is the best ever. Minn fans and ND and OSU fans all say the same thing. Even illinois fans think their team has improved.

For some reason the Purdue AD decided it was a brilliant idea to eliminate the cream puff out of conference opponents, and build a much stronger non-conference schedule. the end result is we're more competitive, but with more losses.

this forum has a tendency to compare our current team against our past team. That is flawed logic. I've said it before, we are not playing ourselves. While we may be better than our previous teams, are we better than our opponents? We spend very little time talking about UW, Nebraska, iowa, Minnesota , Illinois and all the rest of the BIG 10 teams. Purdue is definitely improved. and purdue has a lot of talent. But all those other teams have a lot too. Iowa and UW are great teams. ND is a great team. OSU is a great team. one day Nebraska will figure it out. Northwestern, Minnesota, MSU, and IU are no longer push-overs.

I recall two magic days in football history. The first was when the New Orleans Saints returned to play in the Super Dome following hurricane Katrina. You knew it didn't matter who their opponent was. They were going to win that game. and the result wasn't close. the other magical day in football was Purdue playing OSU. You knew with all of the outside activities leading up to that game, with all the emotions of the fans and the players, that Purdue was going to win that game no matter who the opponent was. if Purdue had played Alabama that day, they would have won. those two games and their memories will last a lifetime. but you can't expect just because Purdue won that day that they are close to beating OSU in the near future.

all of you make some great points.

I raise the question. What do you really want? Do you want tough opponents? Do you want a high scoring offense? Do you want a high powered flashy passing attack? Do you want a lot of fans and to generate a lot of revenue? a bowl game ?

personally, I prefer wins. I prefer boring, low scoring games, where the offense keeps the ball for the last 5 minutes and just runs out the clock to secure the victory. I prefer winning 8-10 games every year and going to a bowl game I've actually heard of. I prefer being in BIG 10 championship games. i prefer being ranked in the top 25. i prefer the boring Steelers, packers and bears over the pass happy Chargers and Dolphins. How many Super bowls did marina and Fouts win verses McMahon, Bradshaw and Starr?? i look back to the Bob Greise team that won the Rose Bowl and also to the Bob Greise Dolphin and the Troy Aikman Cowboy teams . They were known for their ability to win games more than their flashy offense. then i look at the packers with Rodgers and Favre. Their teams were built to score a lot of points.

if points and a lot of offense is what you crave, you will love brohm and be excited each year he is your coach. But if a lot of wins are what you seek, you will most likely be disappointed. growing up, i respected Penn St and Joe Paterno. their offense was never very flashy, and they seldom ran up the score on anybody. they just won. At the end of the year, they always had their 8-10 wins. those are my dreams for purdue.

i'm not even going to discuss, recruiting, redshirting, players or posters. I'm just looking at our team and our schedule. and i agree with the majority of posters here. i see 5-6 wins. i wish there were more. i never want to see purdue lose. when a purdue recruit receives a 4/5 star rating, you say those national analysts are smart and know what they're talking about. these are the same people predicting 5 wins. NAT is probably the smartest and most knowledgeable poster on this board. he says 5-6 wins. I can't argue with him.

I don't know how many people have said this before. They said you win games in the trenches. I'll admit people hate me because I'm a broken record about recruiting undersized linemen and then redshirting them for a year trying to add pounds and strength to their bodies. When was the last year Purdue emphasized the trenches as their priority? When you look at winning programs, look at their trenches. when you look at the 4th quarter, what wins games? Wide receivers and hail Marys? or trenches? For every hail Mary Favre completed, he threw 3 interceptions.

Would firing brohm and hiring a new coach solve the problem? NO. Do i have the answers? Not really. if i were the AD, I'd hire a coach with a proven winning record at a power 5 school. i would stop hiring supposed up and coming young coaches. if a guy over 70 can handle the job of being President of the U.S., surely a guy over 60 can coach a football team. look at lou Saban. was he he a better coach when he was young? or now that he's old? look at Coach Wooden. was he better when he was younger or older? if you hire some 60 year old coach, he should still have 10-15 good years left. IU is thinking of hiring larry brown. last time i looked, he's OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the problem is while i may seek to hire some old coach with a long resume of winning, would that old guy actually want to come to purdue to coach? Would Tony Dungy want to come to Purdue? Would the coaches recently fired at auburn and texas want to come to purdue? or would the Purdue AD go after another young coach and hope it gets it right this time?

I'll ask again, what is it you seek and crave? i seek and crave wins. I really don't care about the score. unfortunately, like most people here i only see 5-6 wins. for some people, they call that progress and they're happy and satisfied. For some , all they care about is just beating IU. beating IU makes their entire season. . i call winning 5-6 games another forgettable, losing season. pardon me for being disappointed in our progress over the past 5 years. rather than seeing progress, I'd prefer to see wins.

5-7. Brohm always starts out the year losing to somebody we have no business losing to. Brohm's best season was his first year with the talent Hazell collected. it's obvious Brohm knows his talent assembled has under achieved. Just look at his transfer portal signings this off season as quick fixes in a win now mode. He hasn't added this many quick fix experienced players since his first year. I really like that kicker he signed. brohm is a great judge of talent. he wouldn't be so active in quick fix actions unless there was a reason. Either he knows he needs to win now, or he's not impressed with the current players returning. or both.

Several posters pointed out Purdue still lacks depth. this is hard to believe. But it's hard to build depth when your mediocre players with experience keep leaving and are replaced with transfers and first year players. at some point in time, purdue needs to see the importance of keeping mediocre experienced players rather than constantly bring in classes of 25+ new players. at some point in time, you need to stop blaming previous coaches and ask yourself, why does this team always have a lack of depth? the main reason is this team does NOT develop its players who are not starters. there is a tremendous drop-off between the starters and their replacements. look at Iu and cronk. whe n he became injured, they found another player who was even better and he replaced him. return your eyes to purdue. When our star players were hurt, we found nobody really capable of replacing them. our second string players were nowhere close to the ability of our starters. That's not a knock on recruiting. that's called lack of development.

I will readily admit Purdue has made a lot of progress under brohm. his offense has scored a lot of points. The players' talent level has significantly increased. the facilities are a lot better. and fan interest has increased. Purdue football is a lot better since brohm arrived. it's a lot more exciting.

the same exact statement can be said for every team Purdue plays. Drop by a UW or IU forum. they believe their team has made tremendous progress and is the best ever. Minn fans and ND and OSU fans all say the same thing. Even illinois fans think their team has improved.

For some reason the Purdue AD decided it was a brilliant idea to eliminate the cream puff out of conference opponents, and build a much stronger non-conference schedule. the end result is we're more competitive, but with more losses.

this forum has a tendency to compare our current team against our past team. That is flawed logic. I've said it before, we are not playing ourselves. While we may be better than our previous teams, are we better than our opponents? We spend very little time talking about UW, Nebraska, iowa, Minnesota , Illinois and all the rest of the BIG 10 teams. Purdue is definitely improved. and purdue has a lot of talent. But all those other teams have a lot too. Iowa and UW are great teams. ND is a great team. OSU is a great team. one day Nebraska will figure it out. Northwestern, Minnesota, MSU, and IU are no longer push-overs.

I recall two magic days in football history. The first was when the New Orleans Saints returned to play in the Super Dome following hurricane Katrina. You knew it didn't matter who their opponent was. They were going to win that game. and the result wasn't close. the other magical day in football was Purdue playing OSU. You knew with all of the outside activities leading up to that game, with all the emotions of the fans and the players, that Purdue was going to win that game no matter who the opponent was. if Purdue had played Alabama that day, they would have won. those two games and their memories will last a lifetime. but you can't expect just because Purdue won that day that they are close to beating OSU in the near future.

I raise the question. What do you really want? Do you want tough opponents? Do you want a high scoring offense? Do you want a high powered flashy passing attack? Do you want a lot of fans and to generate a lot of revenue? a bowl game ?

personally, I prefer wins. I prefer boring, low scoring games, where the offense keeps the ball for the last 5 minutes and just runs out the clock to secure the victory. I prefer winning 8-10 games every year and going to a bowl game I've actually heard of. I prefer being in BIG 10 championship games. i prefer being ranked in the top 25. i prefer the boring Steelers, packers and bears over the pass happy Chargers and Dolphins. How many Super bowls did marina and Fouts win verses McMahon, Bradshaw and Starr?? i look back to the Bob Greise team that won the Rose Bowl and also to the Bob Greise Dolphin and the Troy Aikman Cowboy teams . They were known for their ability to win games more than their flashy offense. then i look at the packers with Rodgers and Favre. Their teams were built to score a lot of points.

if points and a lot of offense is what you crave, you will love brohm and be excited each year he is your coach. But if a lot of wins are what you seek, you will most likely be disappointed. growing up, i respected Penn St and Joe Paterno. their offense was never very flashy, and they seldom ran up the score on anybody. they just won. At the end of the year, they always had their 8-10 wins. those are my dreams for purdue.

i'm not even going to discuss, recruiting, redshirting, players or posters. I'm just looking at our team and our schedule. and i agree with the majority of posters here. i see 5-6 wins. i wish there were more. i never want to see purdue lose. when a purdue recruit receives a 4/5 star rating, you say those national analysts are smart and know what they're talking about. these are the same people predicting 5 wins. NAT is probably the smartest and most knowledgeable poster on this board. he says 5-6 wins. I can't argue with him.

I don't know how many people have said this before. They said you win games in the trenches. I'll admit people hate me because I'm a broken record about recruiting undersized linemen and then redshirting them for a year trying to add pounds and strength to their bodies. When was the last year Purdue emphasized the trenches as their priority? When you look at winning programs, look at their trenches. when you look at the 4th quarter, what wins games? Wide receivers and hail Marys? or trenches? For every hail Mary Favre completed, he threw 3 interceptions.

Would firing brohm and hiring a new coach solve the problem? NO. Do i have the answers? Not really. if i were the AD, I'd hire a coach with a proven winning record at a power 5 school. i would stop hiring supposed up and coming young coaches. if a guy over 70 can handle the job of being President of the U.S., surely a guy over 60 can coach a football team. look at lou Saban. was he he a better coach when he was young? or now that he's old? look at Coach Wooden. was he better when he was younger or older? if you hire some 60 year old coach, he should still have 10-15 good years left. IU is thinking of hiring larry brown. last time i looked, he's OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the problem is while i may seek to hire some old coach with a long resume of winning, would that old guy actually want to come to purdue to coach? Would Tony Dungy want to come to Purdue? Would the coaches recently fired at auburn and texas want to come to purdue? or would the Purdue AD go after another young coach and hope it gets it right this time?

I'll ask again, what is it you seek and crave? i seek and crave wins. I really don't care about the score. unfortunately, like most people here i only see 5-6 wins. for some people, they call that progress and they're happy and satisfied. For some , all they care about is just beating IU. beating IU makes their entire season. . i call winning 5-6 games another forgettable, losing season. pardon me for being disappointed in our progress over the past 5 years. rather than seeing progress, I'd prefer to see wins.
I didn't read your post, but good to see you back on the forum.

you've been gone too long.

Good to see you back. BTW, we weren't able to secure Adrian Martinez in the transfer portal, so our TE position likely won't be as strong as we'd like...😁

Instead of just throwing out a number, why not just go through the schedule & assign a W or L & at the end count them up?

Oregon St. W Loss
UConn W Win
at ND L Loss
Illinois W Loss Lovie's gone.
Minn W Loss
at Iowa L Loss
Wisconsin L Loss
at NU L Loss
MSU W Win
at OSU L Loss
at N L Win
IU L Loss

3 Wins....9 Losses
And no....4 wins isn't nearly good enough.

Last edited:

Best case - 7-5
What I think - 5-7
Worst case - 4-8

Who's the QB?
Who's the RB?

Better OL.
Better defense.

Bell is a stud.

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85
Horvath is the rb

you’ve got problems then .. defenses can let horvath get his while widening out on their coverage knowing full well he can’t hit the home Run ...

any moron can just rely on horvath. Getting Doerue to do the things horvath can do in addition to his better speed ... THAT IS what you’re making millions for...

you’ve got problems then .. defenses can let horvath get his while widening out on their coverage knowing full well he can’t hit the home Run ...

any moron can just rely on horvath. Getting Doerue to do the things horvath can do in addition to his better speed ... THAT IS what you’re making millions for...
Depends on how you use horvath. If you ride him like brian did against Iowa. Good at picking up the blitz and a solid receiver too

Depends on how you use horvath. If you ride him like brian did against Iowa. Good at picking up the blitz and a solid receiver too

he’s not terrible .. but it’s also not the 2009 big ten.. have to be better than not bad

he’s not terrible .. but it’s also not the 2009 big ten.. have to be better than not bad
Doerue is a similar player with slightly more speed. They need the cross kid to come in ready to get 5 or so touches a game

Doerue is a similar player with slightly more speed. They need the cross kid to come in ready to get 5 or so touches a game

I think doerue runs much better past the second level but doesn’t play much faster YET in that 0-6 yard Area

you know the general principle I’m getting at though right? You don’t need to pay someone brohms salary so he can Take the easy way out and roll B. Thienemann out there. My mom can do that.

if you’re paying brohm money you’re supposed to have your David bells and karlaftis. And then at positions where you don’t have someone that good you should at least have a deante ferrell or Ralph turner. That’s how northwestern has become what they are. There isn’t a David Owen, Sean petty, Zach Logan, James dunnigan, Logan link or Dan bick ever ever ever starting for Fitzgerald. That’s why he has dusted our Sorry asses without having a Rondale Moore or drew Brees

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
you know the general principle I’m getting at though right? You don’t need to pay someone brohms salary so he can Take the easy way out and roll B. Thienemann out there. My mom can do that.

if you’re paying brohm money you’re supposed to have your David bells and karlaftis. And then at positions where you don’t have someone that good you should at least have a deante ferrell or Ralph turner. That’s how northwestern has become what they are. There isn’t a David Owen, Sean petty, Zach Logan, James dunnigan, Logan link or Dan bick ever ever ever starting for Fitzgerald. That’s why he has dusted our Sorry asses without having a Rondale Moore or drew Brees
Doesnt hurt that he is tough as nails and his team takes on his personality.

Doesnt hurt that he is tough as nails and his team takes on his personality.

I like horvath. He’s no Mac talent. Id just like to see doerue becomemore Developed and utilized. Even if it just keeps horvath from getting hurt by taking too much of a pounding it’s a good thing in my book.

but honestly Joey Harris or Ralph bolden shouldn’t be too much to ask

I like horvath. He’s no Mac talent. Id just like to see doerue becomemore Developed and utilized. Even if it just keeps horvath from getting hurt by taking too much of a pounding it’s a good thing in my book.

but honestly Joey Harris or Ralph bolden shouldn’t be too much to ask
Doerue was hampered by an injury all last year. I think he lags in pass catching which is valuable if you have Plummer out there

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Doerue was hampered by an injury all last year. I think he lags in pass catching which is valuable if you have Plummer out there

but healthy he may not. If they try to ride horvath like he’s mr. all everything they will pay for their stupidity. Just like they paid through the nose for being stupid enough to not realize they had absolutely no safeties a couple years ago

7-8. Counting on our D to be significantly improved.
Significant improvement would simply get them back to average or decent, and, I am not confident that is enough to make a great difference ultimately.

It would be nearly impossible to be worse...but, it was so bad, even if it were significantly better, I don't know if it would be good enough to have a huge impact from a W/L standpoint.

Until we have a better than meh qb, don’t expect a lot of wins

talent is better than the hope years, but so is the rest of the big ten
Coaching should be as well...better talent...with better coaching...should generate better results. It is not as if the B1G West is stacked by any means, and, Hope did not even have that benefit in his favor.

Here is another novel idea...quit scheduling non-conference games that they have no chance to win, much less multiple ones each year...and, more so in that, to your point, the conference is better/more difficult.

Much like harbaugh, I think recruiting the position is a bigger problem than his ability to develop.
If a guy that has the offensive philosophy that he seemingly does...with his pedigree...at a place like Purdue given the history of the position...can't recruit the position...that says way more about Brohm. I mean, Hazell was able to recruit the position and that guy had literally about next to nothing to offer...Hope recruited the position...yet, somehow, Brohm is not capable of doing so? Like say, if that is the case, that is much more of an indictment of Brohm.

hear you. The problem with brohm to me from an offensive play call standpoint is.. he got the big contract and then ended up in injury scenarios where to me.. if you go for broke and fail, a reasonable person is like “yeah he went for the throat in scenarios where we were gonna suck any damn way.” But then he coached Like he had something to protect and got the bad Results he seemed to be afraid he’d get lol.
This is my biggest problem with Brohm. Somewhere in year 3 he started being more conservative, instead of being the riverboat gambler that got us to bowl games in year 1 and 2. Hopefully he has someone pointing that out to him.

Good to see you back. BTW, we weren't able to secure Adrian Martinez in the transfer portal, so our TE position likely won't be as strong as we'd like...😁
It is good to see Wole back. BTW, who is Lou Saban? I thought it was an error, but by gosh, he was a mediocre head coach in a variety of H.S., College and semi-pro and, NFL teams.
I believe the real reference was Nick Saban not 2nd cousin Lou Saban.

• Haha
Maybe I missed something but I thought O'Connell played very well last year. He moved the team. IMO, Horvath is a top running back and Bell is the best receiver. A RB who consistently gets 4-6 yards 15-20 times a game is much better than one who gets a couple of yards15-18 times a game and breaks one for 20+ years twice a game. Our TE's and WR's are very good also. We may have the top WR's in the league because of Bell. We lost our best OL but hopefully, our other linemen have gained strength, experience, and adhesion. What no one mentioned was Brohm ran much fewer trick plays, which keeps the D guessing, and IMO our O loose and having fun.

Our D is a major concern having lost 2 key players. I am still flabbergasted over the Rutgers game and IMO other teams will try running the ball down our throat and all I can say is that it better not work.

If the D meets expectations, then our Achilles heel will be Special Teams. Can anyone explain our progress if any there?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT