ADVERTISEMENT

Projected Wins by Vegas

Instead of just throwing out a number, why not just go through the schedule & assign a W or L & at the end count them up?
Oregon St. W
UConn W
at ND L
Illinois W
Minn W
at Iowa L
Wisconsin L
at NU L
MSU W
at OSU L
at N L
IU L

That’s 5-7.
There are four games that could go either way so I split them 2-2, and that’s being generous becaus I could easily see 1-3 in those games.

Even with a bonus win that’s 6-6.
Is 4-8 to 6-6 good enough?

Disagree? What’s your schedule breakdown?

Instead of just throwing out a number, why not just go through the schedule & assign a W or L & at the end count them up?
Oregon St. L
UConn W
at ND L
Illinois W
Minn L
at Iowa W
Wisconsin L
at NU L
MSU W
at OSU L
at N W
IU toss up L
Playing IU for a bucket and potential bowl bid. 5-7
I’m not convinced that Brohm has the offensive guru factor like he did when arrived at Purdue. He got stale following the first year. Rondale Moore was a unicorn and we never got to see his full healthy season 2.

Last edited:
I agree with this. I would add that our defense needs to be able to get off the field. There were several games last year that we didn’t give up a ton of points but it was mostly because we let the other team dominate the clock for a whole quarter.

I think our offense did well enough last year but we were hit with some untimely turnovers and penalties when we needed touchdowns. Need to clean that up for sure.

I think with a better red zone offense and improved defense we get 6 or 7 wins.
Hey, here's our resident reversible jacket. Do you have one of those divided house plates on the front of your truck with IU/PU on it? Except you're just divided with yourself...

you know I’m not a rose pusher.. but there are all kinds of 5-7.
And there are all kinds of 2-4's, 4-8's, and 6-6's. Brohm hasn't had a winning regular season yet. He's 19-25 at Purdue. That's a 0.431 winning %, which is lower than Danny Hope. His seat will be getting very hot if he doesn't have a winning record in 2021...

I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm very much hoping he can. But if he can't, he shouldn't be coaching at Purdue...

LOL, that WOULD certainly qualify as an absolute disaster.

The hard truth of it all is if he doesn't right his ship in short order and PU does end up letting him go, it's going to be another frustrating rebuild for you.

LOL, that WOULD certainly qualify as an absolute disaster.

The hard truth of it all is if he doesn't right his ship in short order and PU does end up letting him go, it's going to be another frustrating rebuild for you.
In many ways, this reminds me of Colletto. Brough in after a dumpster fire. Acquired a lot of talent but hasnt gotten results.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Dump Brohm and his staff, lose a lot of his recruits, and you’re signing up for another 4-5 year rebuild. 5-7 and signs of progress is the better option.

Dump Brohm and his staff, lose a lot of his recruits, and you’re signing up for another 4-5 year rebuild. 5-7 and signs of progress is the better option.
I don't see 5-7 as a sign of progress. I also don't like the former. But I'd rather go thru another rebuild than languish in 5-7 or 6-6 land for the next 5 to 7 years. That's essentially what we had with Hope. In year #5, Brohm has to show better progress than a losing record, period.

Regardless, there's little faith by the media that Brohm is putting together a conference championship level program. Year 5 and predictions of 5 to 6 wins is worse than what we had with Danny Hope. Pretty sad...

I couldn't give 2 sh*ts about media analysis. I want him to build a program, and not one based on some imaginary timeline. Make progress. If he does that, his naysayers can have all the sads.

I don't see 5-7 as a sign of progress. I also don't like the former. But I'd rather go thru another rebuild than languish in 5-7 or 6-6 land for the next 5 to 7 years. That's essentially what we had with Hope. In year #5, Brohm has to show better progress than a losing record, period.
As someone noted above 5-7 could come in a lot of different flavors. That’s why I specifically said 5-7 AND signs of progress, not 5-7 IS a sign of progress. Is the young depth developing? Is it apparent that past weakness are being addressed, Year one of new defensive scheme could be rough but are there signs of positive change? Is the team playing better as the season goes on? Do we take teams like ND or Wisconsin to the wire or are they running roughshod over? I don’t see the 2021 team as Brohm’s magnum opus, but it should show that there is something to build on.. are the details pointing in the right direction?

His buyout is too high. He will get 2022 barring absolute disaster.
IF Purdue has a crappy year (<5 wins), then 2022 Brohm feels a lot like 2021 Archie was going to feel for IUBB next year. Dead man walking and everybody knows it. A big buyout can be more profitable than strangling a program for an entire year, especially with the transfer rules as they are nowadays.
That said, I think they win 5 or 6 games (but I don’t see them holding opponents under 25 PPG as you said earlier... haven’t been below ~30 PPG since Brohm’s first year when he was using Hazel players)

Reactions: ChuckJr
Reasons for optimism:

• Pass rush. In the final four games, Purdue had zero pass rush (let alone recording even a single sack) due to the scheme and the injuries that sidelined Karlaftis and limited Mitchell. This year, the DE position is a strength and rushing the passer could be the calling card of this defense. Anderson, Hunter, Hudgins, and many others provide solid depth. An improved pass rush will help Purdue's coverage and should lead to more turnovers.

• Defensive scheme and versatility. The buzzword this offseason is "attacking" defense, and the roster on paper gives Lambert a lot of flexibility in moving players to show multiple looks. Lambert found success at Marshall with a defense that was also undersized upfront, so he is familiar with scheming around one of Purdue's bigger concerns.

Anderson can play DT or DE. Mitchell and Jenkins can play DE or LB. Graham and Brothers are speedy and versatile linebackers that Lambert could use for blitzing. Unlike limited offseason last year, Purdue has more practice time to install a new defense this time around. Also, a non-conference schedule will give the defense opportunities to learn from mistakes before conference play.

• Tyler Witt. Why is a short offensive line grad transfer from a CUSA school number so high on this list? In the Nebraska game last year, Purdue went with a true freshman at right guard and Garvin at center, who struggled all season. Witt ensures Hartwig can anchor the center position, who is a player that will likely show good improvement this offseason developing and gaining strength with more experience.

Witt has a ton of experience and could be the strongest player on the team. If this interior line can open more inside rush lanes with the type of running backs on the current roster, then it will open up the passing game and help the offense find its rhythm. I think effective and consistent runs up the middle is as valuable as having home run threats from the backfield, which Purdue currently lacks.

• Offensive line depth, finally! If Purdue had four injuries on the offensive line in Brohm's first year, then you would throw that season in the trash. It's amazing the number of injuries Purdue has sustained on the offensive line the past two seasons. A greater percentage of the roster is getting older and there are fewer questions marks compared to the prior seasons. Craig, Long, Miller, Monnot, and Bramel at tackle. Witt, Holstege, Jornigan, and a grab bag of other options at guard. Garvin is an experienced backup, but I hope Hartwig stays healthy all year.

• Slot wide receiver. At the beginning of the offseason, this was a potential area of need with Rondale Moore leaving. However, spring camp seems to indicate TJ Sheffield could bring upside to the position, as he builds on the display of his athletic ability from returning kicks last year. After interpreting weeks of coach speak, it sounds like Sheffield won the job, and Anthrop is looking for other ways to contribute next year beyond being his backup. Purdue needs as many options to move the ball as possible to give Brohm flexibility in scripting a sequence of plays and keeping defenses from cheating against YOLO throws to David Bell.

• A plethora of wide receivers vying for playing time. David Bell should get more help from a growing supporting cast. Wright will look to make a big leap this year. Rice is healthy. Carr and Sheffield should get more opportunities. Sullivan, Yaseen, and M. Moore have the talent to contribute this year too. A full offseason will help the wide receivers as much as anyone, especially in building rapport with the QBs.

• Run game. Yes, running the ball will again not be the focal point of Purdue's offense next year. However, Horvath returns for another year to continue his improvement. He had an impressive 5.0 ypc and was 3rd in all purpose yards per game in the Big Ten. Doerue was injured to start last season, but he should be motivated by the opportunity in front of him after Murphy's decision to transfer. As an aside, Murphy still hasn't found a new team yet.

It will be interesting to see if Hewitt gets a chance to play more. Purdue's running attack should continue to show improvement and this will help the offense find greater balance. Even small improvements can change how defenses approach Brohm's offense. Depth is still a concern, but from a relative perspective, Purdue is in better shape at this point in time compared to last year. The big question is how much the offense will improve executing running plays on short yardage situations. Will Moore get snaps in the backfield as a speedster? Will Moore or Burton run wildcat packages?

• Team chemistry. One of the glaring reasons for Purdue's lackluster end to last season was when we learned about team chemistry issues during Diaco's short tenure. I think it's easy for fans to underestimate the impact of locker room issues to the performance and energy on the field. The jury is still out on the new defensive staff, but I've been impressed with the interviews they have given so far. I also think Poindexter leaving is a good thing, because it eliminates any potential conflicts with the new staff. We haven't seen a wave of transfers leaving, and Purdue will likely end up with a decent net gain from the transfer portal.

• QB Consistency. Plummer should continue to improve. He completed 71% of passes in the small sample size of games played in 2021. He threw 4 touchdowns per 1 interception. He avoided getting sacked in two of three games. Only the second half of the Rutgers game did Plummer seem a bit lost to me, but I credit Schiano for confusing him with different pre-snap looks that he was obviously not prepared for by the coaching staff. I expect more consistency from Plummer. More practice this offseason should help build cohesion between Plummer and the young wide receivers. It's easy to forget, but Plummer was coming off a bad injury last year during Covid. Despite this, I think he showed improvement from the prior year.

Brohm said Alaimo has looked great in camp and has the best arm on the team, so he may get an opportunity if Plummer regresses into bad habits. With AOC limited in the spring and unable to improve his mobility, I wouldn't be surprised if the depth chart at the beginning of the season had Plummer starting with Alaimo as the backup. Burton is a wildcard. If he doesn't win the job outright, then it will be interesting to see if he gets playing time next year either by sharing time at QB for a certain number of drives each game or special game situations, like short yardage or goal line.

Better depth, greater consistency, and more experience, while being less predictable on both offense and defense are reasons why Purdue has an excellent opportunity to surprise people in 2021, despite the understandable disengagement recently from the fanbase. The key stat for me to follow is how much Purdue can improve its 3rd conversion rate on both offense and defense.

Last edited:
Reasons for optimism:

• Pass rush. In the final four games, Purdue had zero pass rush (let alone recording even a single sack) due to the scheme and the injuries that sidelined Karlaftis and limited Mitchell. This year, the DE position is a strength and rushing the passer could be the calling card of this defense. Anderson, Hunter, Hudgins, and many others provide solid depth. An improved pass rush will help Purdue's coverage and should lead to more turnovers.

• Defensive scheme and versatility. The buzzword this offseason is "attacking" defense, and the roster on paper gives Lambert a lot of flexibility in moving players to show multiple looks. Lambert found success at Marshall with a defense that was also undersized upfront, so he is familiar with scheming around one of Purdue's bigger concerns.

Anderson can play DT or DE. Mitchell and Jenkins can play DE or LB. Graham and Brothers are speedy and versatile linebackers that Lambert could use for blitzing. Unlike limited offseason last year, Purdue has more practice time to install a new defense this time around. Also, a non-conference schedule will give the defense opportunities to learn from mistakes before conference play.

• Tyler Witt. Why is a short offensive line grad transfer from a MAC school number so high on this list? In the Nebraska game last year, Purdue went with a true freshman at right guard and Garvin at center, who struggled all season. Witt ensures Hartwig can anchor the center position, who is a player that will likely show good improvement this offseason developing and gaining strength with more experience.

Witt has a ton of experience and could be the strongest player on the team. If this interior line can open more inside rush lanes with the type of running backs on the current roster, then it will open up the passing game and help the offense find its rhythm. I think effective and consistent runs up the middle is as valuable as having home run threats from the backfield, which Purdue currently lacks.

• Offensive line depth, finally! If Purdue had four injuries on the offensive line in Brohm's first year, then you would throw that season in the trash. It's amazing the number of injuries Purdue has sustained on the offensive line the past two seasons. A greater percentage of the roster is getting older and there are fewer questions marks compared to the prior seasons. Craig, Long, Miller, Monnot, and Bramel at tackle. Witt, Holstege, Jornigan, and a grab bag of other options at guard. Garvin is an experienced backup, but I hope Hartwig stays healthy all year.

• Slot wide receiver. At the beginning of the offseason, this was a potential area of need with Rondale Moore leaving. However, spring camp seems to indicate TJ Sheffield could bring upside to the position, as he builds on the display of his athletic ability from returning kicks last year. After interpreting weeks of coach speak, it sounds like Sheffield won the job, and Anthrop is looking for other ways to contribute next year beyond being his backup. Purdue needs as many options to move the ball as possible to give Brohm flexibility in scripting a sequence of plays and keeping defenses from cheating against YOLO throws to David Bell.

• A plethora of wide receivers vying for playing time. David Bell should get more help from a growing supporting cast. Wright will look to make a big leap this year. Rice is healthy. Carr and Sheffield should get more opportunities. Sullivan, Yaseen, and M. Moore have the talent to contribute this year too. A full offseason will help the wide receivers as much as anyone, especially in building rapport with the QBs.

• Run game. Yes, running the ball will again not be the focal point of Purdue's offense next year. However, Horvath returns for another year to continue his improvement. He had an impressive 5.0 ypc and was 3rd in all purpose yards per game in the Big Ten. Doerue was injured to start last season, but he should be motivated by the opportunity in front of him after Murphy's decision to transfer. As an aside, Murphy still hasn't found a new team yet.

It will be interesting to see if Hewitt gets a chance to play more. Purdue's running attack should continue to show improvement and this will help the offense find greater balance. Even small improvements can change how defenses approach Brohm's offense. Depth is still a concern, but from a relative perspective, Purdue is in better shape at this point in time compared to last year. The big question is how much the offense will improve executing running plays on short yardage situations. Will Moore get snaps in the backfield as a speedster? Will Moore or Burton run wildcat packages?

• Team chemistry. One of the glaring reasons for Purdue's lackluster end to last season was when we learned about team chemistry issues during Diaco's short tenure. I think it's easy for fans to underestimate the impact of locker room issues to the performance and energy on the field. The jury is still out on the new defensive staff, but I've been impressed with the interviews they have given so far. I also think Poindexter leaving is a good thing, because it eliminates any potential conflicts with the new staff. We haven't seen a wave of transfers leaving, and Purdue will likely end up with a decent net gain from the transfer portal.

• QB Consistency. Plummer should continue to improve. He completed 71% of passes in the small sample size of games played in 2021. He threw 4 touchdowns per 1 interception. He avoided getting sacked in two of three games. Only the second half of the Rutgers game did Plummer seem a bit lost to me, but I credit Schiano for confusing him with different pre-snap looks that he was obviously not prepared for by the coaching staff. I expect more consistency from Plummer. More practice this offseason should help build cohesion between Plummer and the young wide receivers. It's easy to forget, but Plummer was coming off a bad injury last year during Covid. Despite this, I think he showed improvement from the prior year.

Brohm said Alaimo has looked great in camp and has the best arm on the team, so he may get an opportunity if Plummer regresses into bad habits. With AOC limited in the spring and unable to improve his mobility, I wouldn't be surprised if the depth chart at the beginning of the season had Plummer starting with Alaimo as the backup. Burton is a wildcard. If he doesn't win the job outright, then it will be interesting to see if he gets playing time next year either by sharing time at QB for a certain number of drives each game or special game situations, like short yardage or goal line.

Better depth, greater consistency, and more experience, while being less predictable on both offense and defense are reasons why Purdue has an excellent opportunity to surprise people in 2021, despite the understandable disengagement recently from the fanbase. The key stat for me to follow is how much Purdue can improve its 3rd conversion rate on both offense and defense.

Well written, and good info.

It's a good balance to the, "Brohm sucks", "hot seat", and the bizarre, random references to Darrell Hazell and Danny Hope.

Reactions: Beorik

It's a good balance to the, "Brohm sucks", "hot seat", and the bizarre, random references to Darrell Hazell and Danny Hope.
Funny, you seem fine with losing records as long as some immeasurable "progress" is being made. Nowhere else but in Purdue fan rationalizations is a losing record in year 5 progress. When you set the bar low, like Brohm did the past 2 seasons, I guess anything has to look like progress. Literally, and I'd truly like to understand your perspective on this, what actions has Brohm taken (other than firing someone he should have never hired) that make you believe that his program will ever contend for a conference title? Or a winning record in the next 2 years? Are you OK with sustainable 5 to 7 win seasons? Middle of the pack in the B1G?

And BTW, to answer your previous question (and no it's not Bobinski's hot seat), but Brohm is clearly considered to be on the hot seat at #3...

IF Purdue has a crappy year (<5 wins), then 2022 Brohm feels a lot like 2021 Archie was going to feel for IUBB next year. Dead man walking and everybody knows it. A big buyout can be more profitable than strangling a program for an entire year, especially with the transfer rules as they are nowadays.
That said, I think they win 5 or 6 games (but I don’t see them holding opponents under 25 PPG as you said earlier... haven’t been below ~30 PPG since Brohm’s first year when he was using Hazel players)
Because you're generally an idiot IU fan, I don't agree with you, ever. But on this particular post, I do.

Anyone without rose colored Purdue glasses on sees this for what it is...

Reactions: ChuckJr
Funny, you seem fine with losing records as long as some immeasurable "progress" is being made. Nowhere else but in Purdue fan rationalizations is a losing record in year 5 progress. When you set the bar low, like Brohm did the past 2 seasons, I guess anything has to look like progress. Literally, and I'd truly like to understand your perspective on this, what actions has Brohm taken (other than firing someone he should have never hired) that make you believe that his program will ever contend for a conference title? Or a winning record in the next 2 years? Are you OK with sustainable 5 to 7 win seasons? Middle of the pack in the B1G?

And BTW, to answer your previous question (and no it's not Bobinski's hot seat), but Brohm is clearly considered to be on the hot seat at #3...

Yes.

It's my fault.

Because it's ... "funny" ... that I'm "fine with losing records".

You, not so much. That's what matters. You're a better fan...

It's defined by what you... or I... are "fine with".

That makes all the difference. Especially when you can link to some nonsensical media figures defining who's on ... the HOT seat.

Congrats. You can spread your disdain for Jeff Brohm, knowing full well you're supported by someone in ... DA MEDIA.

I don't give a fat rat's @ss about that.

He'll live or die based on what he and his bosses deem "progress". Not based on whether or not some anonymous internet poster hates him, loves him, wants him gone, wishes he was never hired, etc etc etc.

team played well against Iowa, then a few injuries on OL , Rondale out, then George out, and a few other key injuries , kind of killed the team, played close games just got beat. Look for a lot better year this coming season.

And there are all kinds of 2-4's, 4-8's, and 6-6's. Brohm hasn't had a winning regular season yet. He's 19-25 at Purdue. That's a 0.431 winning %, which is lower than Danny Hope. His seat will be getting very hot if he doesn't have a winning record in 2021...

I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm very much hoping he can. But if he can't, he shouldn't be coaching at Purdue...

for example, in 2009 when Danny hope was 5-7, yeah the northern Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin losses sucked. But.. you look at that close loss to Oregon, notre dame and Michigan state and it just wasn’t a bad 5-7. Then, you have to consider that the league top to bottom is way better now.

you know I’m not a rose pusher. But if we like beat notre dame or Ohio state, have a heartbreaker preseason (which even happened in 2003), and a couple of Purdue officiating screw jobs... I could picture 5-7 not being terrible.

will next year be “oh everything is great” no.. but it wouldn’t be like “fire this Guy now.”

I think either we look around and know that this thing has turned around right away, OR 5-7 might be optimistic ..

Last edited:

You realize they put Nick Saban on that list when he didnt make the playoff. That list is laughable.

Reasons for optimism:

• Tyler Witt. Why is a short offensive line grad transfer from a CUSA school number so high on this list? In the Nebraska game last year, Purdue went with a true freshman at right guard and Garvin at center, who struggled all season. Witt ensures Hartwig can anchor the center position, who is a player that will likely show good improvement this offseason developing and gaining strength with more experience.

Hudgins is playing DT.

Reactions: BoilerData
Yes.

It's my fault.

Because it's ... "funny" ... that I'm "fine with losing records".

You, not so much. That's what matters. You're a better fan...

It's defined by what you... or I... are "fine with".

That makes all the difference. Especially when you can link to some nonsensical media figures defining who's on ... the HOT seat.

Congrats. You can spread your disdain for Jeff Brohm, knowing full well you're supported by someone in ... DA MEDIA.

I don't give a fat rat's @ss about that.

He'll live or die based on what he and his bosses deem "progress". Not based on whether or not some anonymous internet poster hates him, loves him, wants him gone, wishes he was never hired, etc etc etc.
You still haven't answered my question. What actions has Brohm taken?

why do I need to?
You don't. We have differing opinions. You don't seem to believe there's any merit in mine whatsoever and I was asking for your perspective on why you believe Brohm will turn this around. I'm not a better fan. I'm just done with the attitude that somehow next year will be better and all will be OK if he makes progress from a horrible position that was his own doing to begin with.

You don't. We have differing opinions. You don't seem to believe there's any merit in mine whatsoever and I was asking for your perspective on why you believe Brohm will turn this around. I'm not a better fan. I'm just done with the attitude that somehow next year will be better and all will be OK if he makes progress from a horrible position that was his own doing to begin with.

I think that's incorrect. I don't think our opinions are very far off.

You post like you're looking for every opportunity to b*tch about Brohm. Every thread. Every conversation. You post like you have no interest in a reasonable discussion.

Right now, you're giving off that you're itching for a fight.

You: "...you seem fine with losing records..."

I could go on, but... goodness, brother. There are times/topics where you write home run posts. But, with Brohm.... you just go off the deep end.

OK, so I take it that list has zero merit then? And Brohm shouldn't be on the hot seat?

the question mark is always “who you gonna get?” If you can get someone really good and you know it, like say.. Ohio state if there is a vacancy, then brohm would have been gone

we may agree that brohm doesn’t suck, but there’s a lot of room for improvement. It seems like people are in the camp that he’s the worst OR everything is great

Reactions: purduepat1969
we may agree that brohm doesn’t suck, but there’s a lot of room for improvement. It seems like people are in the camp that he’s the worst OR everything is great

Everything certainly isn’t great. Last year especially for me was a disappointment (Rutgers game especially). I just don’t buy into the sky is falling. But even last year we won double(should have been triple) the number of Big Ten games we were winning under Hazel.

We must get better on defense. And we then have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot when we have chances to score.

I see hope because I think there was a LOT of young guys playing last year and some pf them are talented. If I remember correctly we had 15 starters as freshman and sophomores in our starting line up. That is a lot.

I agree with everyone that we need to see some improvements though. I think now the floor should be bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT