ADVERTISEMENT

Projected Wins by Vegas

I'm going with my wallet vs heart. 5 wins at best from the last two seasons performances.
Coach Brohm's words (not mine) is he and the staff are still concerned with Special Teams and no game changers at QB or RB. That is easily +/- 2 games in either direction. Sadly, 3 to 7 games is my opinion and I'll stay with 5.
I and everybody else on this board would like to see more wins, but Purdue has not made consistent uptick in performances at this point. A lot of piece parts have changed in coaches and players. What I hope to see is a coach that takes reasonable gambles in special teams like we used to and that may have been more on Tony Levine's confidence than that of Coach Brohm.
Just my $.02, I would get coach Levine on retainer as a Quality Control Analyst working from home office and in this modern day of Zoom meetings, work at Chick- Fil-A doing your ownership business and 10-15 hrs a week watching films of Special Teams practice, edit and evaluate Texas talent. He would never have to game day travel, nor in home visits in Texas. Just watch films, analyze tendencies & scout talent. Coach Levine was money and if you paid attention to his NW and WI games in 2017, you'd realize that is true. Coach Biagi would not have to feel threatened, just collaborate to be the best in the business. That will help get 2 more W's as better field position is the game changer and we have flat out stunk (notably blocked punts and kicks) at most facets of special teams for two years running.

Last edited:
Those arent vegas analysts. Theyre beat writers.

6 is about right unless one of the QBs takes a massive leap.

Regardless, there's little faith by the media that Brohm is putting together a conference championship level program. Year 5 and predictions of 5 to 6 wins is worse than what we had with Danny Hope. Pretty sad...

I see six wins based on the schedule, maybe seven if we're lucky. Five wins is also possible and would be disappointing given what we've invested in coaching.

Reactions: Silver Buyer
Regardless, there's little faith by the media that Brohm is putting together a conference championship level program. Year 5 and predictions of 5 to 6 wins is worse than what we had with Danny Hope. Pretty sad...
Until we have a better than meh qb, don’t expect a lot of wins

talent is better than the hope years, but so is the rest of the big ten

two things .. can’t hire Diaco and you can’t Have players that fall below the minimum talent level starting on your team. It is not 1996. Coaches can zero in on guys and build an entire attack around exploiting them.

when you don’t have but one big ten caliber starting safety, you need to know that RIGHT MFING NOW, and start sounding every alarm you can.

your bottom end is more important than your top end. If I’m an opposing offense and I can victimize your secondary in space, I can get the ball out before karlaftis gets to my QB.

I think of players like Ralph turner and I say to myself.. not a miracle worker, nobody’s super star. But give me 22 turners at their position before I start worrying about what star power I can add, and I can guarantee you a pretty solid football team. And that’s been our problem since 2003 ended ...

You go back and tell me what player on the 2003 team coaches could zero in on and say “stop the film! THAT guy.”

In 04 I watched Erasmus James lift David Owen off the ground and plant him into Kyle Orton, and we’ve had at least one guy like that ever since.

As much as I’d like to see Marvin grant stay healthy and become a stud, I’d love to know that after Cam Allen we have two Ralph turners in case grant does get hurt.

when that happens, we can get a bunch of gimmes on the schedule. But I don’t know that we are any closer to that then we were at any point in the past 18 years

In case you’re wondering, If you’re looking for a team that has had that for a while, northwestern is that team. If you’re looking for a team that was better at a lot of positions that lost to us because WE exploited one or two guys enough to beat a more talented team, go back and watch ferentz’s loss to brohm. Go watch Michael Ojemudia and manny rugumba and come back with Purdue85 to tell me how much if a meanie I am lol

Reactions: Silver Buyer
You must not have heard. They fired him and hired a guy who is certain to be better at deploying the talent we have.

And in the year we lost 7-8 became an extreme high end outlook if we get all the bounces.

oh you mean you’re giving me an alternative reality where we hired this guy 12 months ago and he worked out? And Marvin grant had a decent season next to cam Allen and even though he got hurt he was picking the game up? And khali Saunders was developed into a guy who was turning heads before the Indiana game was cancelled? And we also got a new strength coach who also worked out 12 months ago .. and now we are seeing all that extra beef up front on both sides?

Yeah, maybe then

Until we have a better than meh qb, don’t expect a lot of wins

talent is better than the hope years, but so is the rest of the big ten

you beat me to the second part. Yeah I’d love to see brohm against that big ten. Many teams that have their shit halfway together now didn’t then

Funny how Brohm was made out to be the QB whisperer with this high octane offense. At this point he's nothing more than a snake oil salesman who took Purdue for a lot of cash...
Much like harbaugh, I think recruiting the position is a bigger problem than his ability to develop.

I'll believe it when I see it. Brohm hasn't inspired confidence in any of his hires thus far. Sooner or later the common denominator will come back to him and his nepotism that Purdue pays for...
No, it is true. Diaco is gone.

Much like harbaugh, I think recruiting the position is a bigger problem than his ability to develop.
Hmm, I haven't seen much in the way of development. All I've seen is a carousel of QBs with zero stability at the position. You can't keep calling all of his QBs recruiting misses...

5-8 wins this year, I’ll take 6. I am hoping on improved OL play. I’d like to see us be able to run the ball with more consistency. Cautiously optimistic on that.

Defense could/should be better. However, I’m not counting on being the 85 Bears either.

He developed a walk on into a middle of the pack big ten starter.
Wasn't he leading the btn in passing, or close, when he got injured? I may be misremembering.

He has a pretty decent arm and seemed to make pretty good decisions. Main problem was lack of mobility.

Reactions: Poprudy and Beorik
You completely missed the point.

look at where aoc started and look at where he is. Must be a harder concept than I thought.

the issue is identifying someone who can be an all big ten qb
I get your point. However, the revolving door of ineffective scholarship QBs hasn't been a good look for Brohm...

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
I get your point. However, the revolving door of ineffective scholarship QBs hasn't been a good look for Brohm...
Agree

he did make blough much better. His inability decide between the two was a mess

I don’t think there is a player that is head and shoulders better, unfortunately. I’d like to see burton and alaimo get snaps this year, even if in mind up duty

Reactions: _slabach
I'm going with my wallet vs heart. 5 wins at best from the last two seasons performances.
Coach Brohm's words (not mine) is he and the staff are still concerned with Special Teams and no game changers at QB or RB. That is easily +/- 2 games in either direction. Sadly, 3 to 7 games is my opinion and I'll stay with 5.
I and everybody else on this board would like to see more wins, but Purdue has not made consistent uptick in performances at this point. A lot of piece parts have changed in coaches and players. What I hope to see is a coach that takes reasonable gambles in special teams like we used to and that may have been more on Tony Levine's confidence than that of Coach Brohm.
Just my $.02, I would get coach Levine on retainer as a Quality Control Analyst working from home office and in this modern day of Zoom meetings, work at Chick- Fil-A doing your ownership business and 10-15 hrs a week watching films of Special Teams practice, edit and evaluate Texas talent. He would never have to game day travel, nor in home visits in Texas. Just watch films, analyze tendencies & scout talent. Coach Levine was money and if you paid attention to his NW and WI games in 2017, you'd realize that is true. Coach Biagi would not have to feel threatened, just collaborate to be the best in the business. That will help get 2 more W's as better field position is the game changer and we have flat out stunk (notably blocked punts and kicks) at most facets of special teams for two years running.
Agreed I would definitely take the under on 5 1/2. I have faith but no confidence yet

Not exactly revolving. Elijah and Blough were already here when CJB arrived, and played quite well much of the time between injuries.

Plummer has played very well at times and still has 2-3 years to go. And AOC played surprisingly well that season when we ran out of QBs after Plummer got hurt, and then at times last season. Alaimo sounds promising, as does the recruit coming in 22.

Reactions: _slabach
To be honest the issue isnt offense. Purdues offense has done well enough to win games. Their defense lost them.

Both sides had major shortcomings but the defense was awful cause of Diaco.

Offensively:

1) When we had everyone healthy to start the season last year, the OL looked much better. Can they plug in witt and move Craig to LT, while also having someone actually play better than “okay” at RT?

2) the issue with the skill guys is less a lack of talent and more of the defense being able to cheat. Defenses will obviously cheat to cover bell. Can:

a) we run the ball when they dare us to and can king get and stay involved so we have a longer run threat
b) Sheffield be a smooth slot receiver who can make plays without looking cumbersome. We don’t need him to be Moore. Just threaten space
c) whoever is at QB hit the quick hitters when the defense tries to make things happen too fast for them. If it’s O’Connell, can h be Mobil enough

Let’s keep this going. @nat100 to me the path to 6 has to start with a good preseason. Oregon state doesn’t look like a gimme. Your thoughts

Let’s keep this going. @nat100 to me the path to 6 has to start with a good preseason. Oregon state doesn’t look like a gimme. Your thoughts
No gimmes on that schedule. Frankly, if purdue's defense can hold teams to 25 a game, we should win 6, especially given Brohm is supposed to be an offensive guru.

Reactions: Beorik
No gimmes on that schedule. Frankly, if purdue's defense can hold teams to 25 a game, we should win 6, especially given Brohm is supposed to be an offensive guru.

I agree with this. I would add that our defense needs to be able to get off the field. There were several games last year that we didn’t give up a ton of points but it was mostly because we let the other team dominate the clock for a whole quarter.

I think our offense did well enough last year but we were hit with some untimely turnovers and penalties when we needed touchdowns. Need to clean that up for sure.

I think with a better red zone offense and improved defense we get 6 or 7 wins.

Key to 6 wins is defensive starters staying healthy. Depth is a bit scary.
If we can stay healthy AND significantly improve the run game, I could go as high as 7 or 8.

ADVERTISEMENT