ADVERTISEMENT

probably playing Iowa again on Friday

Apr 27, 2009
What do you guys think about Iowa right now? Still struggling or will they regroup and whip Purdue again? I'm still mad about losing to Iowa at home.

What do you guys think about Iowa right now? Still struggling or will they regroup and whip Purdue again? I'm still mad about losing to Iowa at home.
Should be another home game for Purdue. I like how we are playing right now. Probably shooting the 3 as well as anyone in the country over the last 4 or 5 games.

Iowa is not a deep team, playing on short rest, I like our chances of wearing them down.

I think that Purdue is the better team and I like the Boilers' chances in a rematch.

Should be another home game for Purdue. I like how we are playing right now. Probably shooting the 3 as well as anyone in the country over the last 4 or 5 games.
spot on... our guards are lights out dippin' 3's, biggie string music'ed one tonight and it's all chicken and gravy vs. Iowa. Should be a good game tho....... Purdue by 7+

Yes and no. Many more Purdue fans than Iowa. But we share the session with a certain fan base that will be sticking around to root against us.
maybe, maybe not. A rematch in Indy would be sick. I'm guessing most IU fans would like to see it as much as we would.

Reactions: rasrar
If I'm an IU fan there is no way I'm cheering from PU. IU would much rather play Iowa instead of PU, plus you get to cheer against your rival.

I think that Purdue is the better team and I like the Boilers' chances in a rematch.
IMO Purdue is easily the better team at the moment. Iowa getting a win the day before could build confidence though.
Purdue caught Iowa early on when they were hot. IU would have to beat Iowa 3 times to advance, but I would rather them than play Purdue again.
Overall, I see the Big doing well in the tournament though. Some teams cause huge mismatch problems.

i liked the more aggressive style vs wiscy. there are still 3 guys that you almost have to force them to shoot it. everyone has to be a threat form here on.
the mighty boilers will turn it on and win the B1G and maybe the big dance.

another round of kool aid for everyone.

How well do you guys / gals think other teams will travel. I will just throw out a list in the order I think, but since my predictions have just truly sucked lately, I defer.
1) iu
2) purdue
3) wisky
4) ohio state
5) MSU
6) Michigan
7) Maryland (i could be underestimating them)
8) Iowa
9) Northwestern
10) Penn State
11) Nebraska
12) Rutgers
13) Illinois (only because a very down year)
14)
If I'm an IU fan there is no way I'm cheering from PU. IU would much rather play Iowa instead of PU, plus you get to cheer against your rival.
IU would rather have a hole in their head than desire to play us again. They know it would be much different away from the comfort of assembly hall.

Meh. If your team has earned a double bye, the price of no game until Friday is an opposing team that could send you home if you're not on it. Then, you'll get a short turnaround and have to play an even tougher opponent (in all likelihood) in the semis. You play who you earn the right to play. It's good. It's March.

LOL. Our fans will NOT show up in force for a weekday game during the day. Nice thought though.

Iowa is not a deep team, playing on short rest, I like our chances of wearing them down.

I'd agree with this more if it was the semifinals/finals - but playing 2 games in 2 days isn't THAT big of a deal. Yes, they will not be fully rested, but they can also get into a rhythm, whereas we'll be off for several days. Also depends on their game Thursday - if they blow the team out easily, not using as much energy.

You can look at it multiple ways, I don't think there's a clear edge either way. Some teams do better with preparation - some teams do better with momentum. Right now, I think we're in a pretty good groove - a matter of us keeping that up. We didn't exactly have a memorable game last time at that venue...

Meh. If your team has earned a double bye, the price of no game until Friday is an opposing team that could send you home if you're not on it. Then, you'll get a short turnaround and have to play an even tougher opponent (in all likelihood) in the semis. You play who you earn the right to play. It's good. It's March.
So you are saying that IU fans will be cheering for PU on Friday? What world do you live in??

IU will be cheering for Iowa for 2 reasons:

1. It's Purdue, they don't want Purdue to win anything.
2. Iowa is a better match up for them.

I get you are trying to play it off like "we really don't care" but you know that isn't true.

LOL. Our fans will NOT show up in force for a weekday game during the day. Nice thought though.
I believe Paint Crew is taking busses to the game. Start of spring break. I know a lot of Purdue fans going. I'm still thinking about going if I can get some decent tix at a reasonable price.

So you are saying that IU fans will be cheering for PU on Friday? What world do you live in??

I get you are trying to play it off like "we really don't care" but you know that isn't true.
The IU fans I know would root against Purdue, regardless of who they matched up better with in the next round.

If I'm an IU fan though, I'm not totally convinced as you are that they match-up better against IA. Their size, style, and personnel are more comparable for sure, but comparability isn't the same as match-up analysis. Match-ups are about using your strengths and minimizing your weaknesses while exploiting the other team's weaknesses and trying to take away their strengths. IU won that battle the first time around by making it more of a perimeter game. Interestingly though, Purdue made its run playing a more uptempo style not terribly unlike IU's.

Reactions: Secrefreakintariat
Love the bracket we are in...should be fun to see how well we can do against Iowa and possibly IU and then MSU.....

Nice tune up before big NCAA.....

Exactamundo.

IU fans will root like crazy against Purdue.

Like always.

I think we will get a motivated Iowa team who probably is a little upset with themselves for not winning the regular season.

Purdue is playing well too and if we can overcome our shooting woes in Indy by being aggressive and driving the ball and getting the other team in foul trouble and utilizing our depth, we should be good.

I love that we play in a venue with the high dome tough back drop so our shooters can get some practice and success in these facilities, before the Big NCAA Tourney.

Big difference shooting in a no backdrop dome than a small arena and our success will be hinged on shooting well, rebounding, hitting our free throws and our depth......

Boiler Up!

The IU fans I know would root against Purdue, regardless of who they matched up better with in the next round.

If I'm an IU fan though, I'm not totally convinced as you are that they match-up better against IA. Their size, style, and personnel are more comparable for sure, but comparability isn't the same as match-up analysis. Match-ups are about using your strengths and minimizing your weaknesses while exploiting the other team's weaknesses and trying to take away their strengths. IU won that battle the first time around by making it more of a perimeter game. Interestingly though, Purdue made its run playing a more uptempo style not terribly unlike IU's.
I get what you are saying. I'm coming more from the fact IU beat Iowa twice (including on the road) and the style of play is more to their liking.

Not scientific at all......But all of my IU friends admit they would much rather play Iowa again instead of PU. Especially outside of AH. Our size really worries them and they know the home court advantage was a big part of our 1 meeting. I'm not suggesting IU is afraid of anybody right now with the way they are playing, just if they are honest they will take Iowa over PU.

I believe Paint Crew is taking busses to the game. Start of spring break. I know a lot of Purdue fans going. I'm still thinking about going if I can get some decent tix at a reasonable price.

I mean, I'm not saying Purdue doesn't have support. But in an 18,000 seat NBA arena - 50-100 Paint Crew members in the upper level isn't going to make it some intimidating home court advantage for Purdue. It's great to have that support, but the Purdue section in the lower parts will probably be half full/mixed with IU fans.

Purdue should have 5,000 fans there. IU fans will probably outnumber Purdue fans 4 or 5 to 1.

I mean, I'm not saying Purdue doesn't have support. But in an 18,000 seat NBA arena - 50-100 Paint Crew members in the upper level isn't going to make it some intimidating home court advantage for Purdue. It's great to have that support, but the Purdue section in the lower parts will probably be half full/mixed with IU fans.

Purdue should have 5,000 fans there. IU fans will probably outnumber Purdue fans 4 or 5 to 1.
If we have 5k, then that's impossible for them to have 4:1

Looks like cheapest seats are $67 on StubHub. Those are terrible seats, looks like "good" seats are around $90. Really good gets into the mid $100 to $300. Price you pay for being in the same session with IU in Indy.

I am looking forward to a rematch with Iowa and then a matchup with IU. A chance to get a little payback. I like our chances.

Michigan St. fans travel well too. I would expect a good number of their fans

That's because half of the iu fanbase will get the day off from McDonald's to attend the game. The other half will be there because the authorities plan to open the gates to the trailer parks and let them all out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT