ADVERTISEMENT

probably playing Iowa again on Friday

That's because half of the iu fanbase will get the day off from McDonald's to attend the game. The other half will be there because the authorities plan to open the gates to the trailer parks and let them all out.
the person who said 500-1000 paint crew members are crazy, try 5000-10000

Well I heard all 39,000 Purdue students are planning to march from West Laf to BLF and set up camp outside the stadium. Southbound I65 will be shut down Thursday and Friday to accommodate the masses. Also, due to the overwhelming ticket demand, organizers are considering moving the event to Lucas Oil. We'll beat Iowa by 40, IU by 50, but then MSU by only 30 because they aren't awful..

Back to the OP........ I think this is a true 50/50 game. Will be interested to see who Vegas likes on a neutral court at this point in the season. That bounce back game against Michigan concerns me, mainly because it appears the reports of the demise of Uthoff were greatly exaggerated. With that said, I love the motivational/revenge factor going for us in this game. Like it or not, some of our guys need to be challenged to bring out their best.

So you are saying that IU fans will be cheering for PU on Friday? What world do you live in??

IU will be cheering for Iowa for 2 reasons:

1. It's Purdue, they don't want Purdue to win anything.
2. Iowa is a better match up for them.

I get you are trying to play it off like "we really don't care" but you know that isn't true.

Bit of a leap you make there. I'm absolutely aware that IU fans will be cheering for Iowa. It's the old "my two favorite teams are" thing.

As far as match ups go, my point was exactly what I stated before. If you're playing in the semis, you're not going to get a stiff for an opponent. Personally, and I can't speak for any other IU fans, if you made it a life or death decision for me, I'd prefer that IU play Purdue again. Mainly because it would provide that second meeting that needs to happen every year. Beyond that, I like the chances of beating a solid opponent twice in one season more than beating an equally solid opponent for the third time in a season.

Bit of a leap you make there. I'm absolutely aware that IU fans will be cheering for Iowa. It's the old "my two favorite teams are" thing.

As far as match ups go, my point was exactly what I stated before. If you're playing in the semis, you're not going to get a stiff for an opponent. Personally, and I can't speak for any other IU fans, if you made it a life or death decision for me, I'd prefer that IU play Purdue again. Mainly because it would provide that second meeting that needs to happen every year. Beyond that, I like the chances of beating a solid opponent twice in one season more than beating an equally solid opponent for the third time in a season.
Not a leap at all. Go back and read your original post that I was responding to. You even started it with "meh". Trying to act like there really wasn't any difference in who you would play. I get it you are trying to down play it but there is no way IU fans "prefer" to play PU over Iowa. You may feel that way, and have every right to your opinion, but don't try and convince anybody that the IU fan base as a whole shares that opinion.

Not a leap at all. Go back and read your original post that I was responding to. You even started it with "meh". Trying to act like there really wasn't any difference in who you would play. I get it you are trying to down play it but there is no way IU fans "prefer" to play PU over Iowa. You may feel that way, and have every right to your opinion, but don't try and convince anybody that the IU fan base as a whole shares that opinion.

I can only speak for me. It's a big fan base so I would guess there's plenty of them who feel like I do, I would guess there's an equal( who knows maybe greater) number who see it like you do. Like I said, your first line of reasoning, the anybody but Purdue thing is unquestionably right for the fan base "as a whole", no argument there. I'll stand by my "meh" in regards to your second point.

I can only speak for me. It's a big fan base so I would guess there's plenty of them who feel like I do, I would guess there's an equal( who knows maybe greater) number who see it like you do. Like I said, your first line of reasoning, the anybody but Purdue thing is unquestionably right for the fan base "as a whole", no argument there. I'll stand by my "meh" in regards to your second point.
Fair enough.

On related topic (sort of) would be curious to see what hypothetical point spread would be for:

IU vs PU
IU vs Iowa

I tried to do a quick Google search and didn't come up with any sites that do that. I know I have seen others post hypothetical spreads before but don't know where they got them. If anybody has a good site for that please share.

If we have 5k, then that's impossible for them to have 4:1

Sorry I meant that as Purdue SHOULD have that many, but will not. And if we were to play IU, it'd be a road game practically. Our fans just aren't good at supporting. Sucks to say, but it's true.

Fair enough.

On related topic (sort of) would be curious to see what hypothetical point spread would be for:

IU vs PU
IU vs Iowa

I tried to do a quick Google search and didn't come up with any sites that do that. I know I have seen others post hypothetical spreads before but don't know where they got them. If anybody has a good site for that please share.
You can use the advanced analytics on sites like KenPom as a starting point. Purdue and Iowa are very evenly rated, so the opening lines should be similar. And actually both teams are very close to IU. But the opening line will probably factor in some "momentum" for IU and sway for the #1 seed playing close to home. Maybe some other factors unique to the circumstances, such as Iowa playing a 3rd game in 3 days. I'd say either Purdue or Iowa would open as about a 4 pt dog to IU, perhaps a bit less if the Purdue-Iowa game is a blowout.

You can use the advanced analytics on sites like KenPom as a starting point. Purdue and Iowa are very evenly rated, so the opening lines should be similar. And actually both teams are very close to IU. But the opening line will probably factor in some "momentum" for IU and sway for the #1 seed playing close to home. Maybe some other factors unique to the circumstances, such as Iowa playing a 3rd game in 3 days. I'd say either Purdue or Iowa would open as about a 4 pt dog to IU, perhaps a bit less if the Purdue-Iowa game is a blowout.
Thank you for the info, I will check it out.

Do you realize how large the Purdue fan base is world-wide? It's massive. The alumnus is really large but the number of non-alum fans is huge as well. Think about all the people who grew up above the I-74 corridor who had huge families that followed everything Purdue for years and years and years...baby boom generation, etc. It's a massive following and the representation will clearly show through and shine come Friday, I mean really shine. You will be amazed at how many show up for the IOWA game, The Michigan game, and then the Maryland game......I want you to come back to this post and congratulate me for my amazing Purdue picks and how I also nailed the other picks as well. Just wait....If I were ALL of you, I would play this as a parlay in Vegas and win thousands and thousands of dollars. You can thank me later or at Scotty's Brewhouse or at one of the games. I'll be the one wearing lots of purdue gear with Honey Badger written on the front and back of my custom Purdue regalia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT