ADVERTISEMENT

Play calling vs Iowa

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I realize we're playing with one arm tied behind our back, but Purdue was still in good position to have a shot at winning Saturday.

I thought Brohm made a few questionable play calls that hurt.

1) Not going for it on 4th and 4 midway through the 4th with the ball at midfield. I know, I know...great call if you make it, terrible call if you don't.
2) kicking onsides down 7 with plenty of time left and the defense playing well ( and Iowa playing very conservatively). We gave them the ball at the 40 and they scored 2 plays later.
3) on a few late 4th qtr drivers, calling QB draws? Never understand why you call a QB draw with a pocket passer. Isn't that how Sindelar got hurt? It also burns precious clock that you need when you're behind late in the game.

On the QB draws, I think calling them in those situations can be good because the defense is in prevent, trying not to let anyone (Bell) behind them. So if executed right, it can be an easy way to pick up 10 yards and stop the clock.

In general I thought Plummer had many opportunities to run or call draws during the bulk of the game and it didn't really happen until late. He's got decent wheels; better than Sindelar but not as good as Blough. I saw lots of green grass in the middle of the field early in the game. It would be better than trying a late flat pass to a covered guy or a tough sideline pass late in the play.

On the onsides kick, clearly it wasn't the best idea, but it was bad from an execution standpoint more. The rules keep adjusting so it makes it harder to recover an onsides kick these days. You really have to just hope that the other team ****s up. I believe the Bears recovery yesterday was the first in the NFL all season. One of these days, and Saturday was a perfect opportunity for it, I'd like to see the kicker aim it straight at the guy in the middle at the front line. Odds are it's a guy that doesn't have the best hands, even if they have the hands team in. Kick it HARD at him and maybe it goes off his chest or a leg and it's live. If it misses him it ends up squibbing down the field where anything can still happen.

On the onsides kick, clearly it wasn't the best idea, but it was bad from an execution standpoint more. The rules keep adjusting so it makes it harder to recover an onsides kick these days. You really have to just hope that the other team ****s up. I believe the Bears recovery yesterday was the first in the NFL all season. One of these days, and Saturday was a perfect opportunity for it, I'd like to see the kicker aim it straight at the guy in the middle at the front line. Odds are it's a guy that doesn't have the best hands, even if they have the hands team in. Kick it HARD at him and maybe it goes off his chest or a leg and it's live. If it misses him it ends up squibbing down the field where anything can still happen.
I told my brother the same thing. Break the huddle late and tell everyone in the huddle "we are going to drill #55" Kick it hard as hell at him and play for the rebound. If you miss, the ball goes deeper downfield - which is fine.

Good point. I think the execution of that play was pretty bad - which then exacerbates the second guessing....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT