ADVERTISEMENT

What changes would you like to see vs VaTech?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I was expecting to see Card use his legs a lot more on RPOs, bootlegs, etc. (that 4th down slant call at the end of the game was just horrid. 4th and 2 and you call a low % pass?). With the OL struggling, let the QB make things happen.

Thought the D looked fast and locked in during the 1st quarters. QBs played tight, made plays, etc. Not sure what happened after that. DL looked like it got worn down and couldn't get a rush. Did we not do a good job of rotating guys to keep them fresher?

Other thoughts:
Up 28-17 midway through the 3rd, getting nice chunks on the ground. Score there and at 35-17 game might be over. Instead we miss a FG and the momentum swings the other way.

Bad clock management to give up the FG at the end of the half.

I think with Card, he's got to understand the offense is squarely on his shoulders. He's got to make plays. If the throw isn't there, run. And run towards the sticks. I dont think he had a bad game by any means, but I would like for him to be more of the alpha, get on my back type of guy. I'll be looking for that against Va Tech.

Reactions: pboiler18
I was expecting to see Card use his legs a lot more on RPOs, bootlegs, etc. (that 4th down slant call at the end of the game was just horrid. 4th and 2 and you call a low % pass?). With the OL struggling, let the QB make things happen.

Thought the D looked fast and locked in during the 1st quarters. QBs played tight, made plays, etc. Not sure what happened after that. DL looked like it got worn down and couldn't get a rush. Did we not do a good job of rotating guys to keep them fresher?

Other thoughts:
Up 28-17 midway through the 3rd, getting nice chunks on the ground. Score there and at 35-17 game might be over. Instead we miss a FG and the momentum swings the other way.

They did a terrible job of rotating out the DEs. Someone stated Scourton played every snap. They have to do better in this area, especially playing away from home.

Other thoughts:

The defensive line pressure on the FSU QB stopped after the penalty for roughing the passer. That isn't on the scheme, but those that execute it.

IMO that call was typical of the officiating we saw last year, and I still don't agree with it.

Reactions: Schnelk
Let me start off by saying I trust these coaches know a million times more than I do so I am sure what I see is seen with way more clarity by them.

But I would like to see.

1. Our O-line improve. From what I have read our backup center, who took most of the snaps in spring/summer ball will be back. Hopefully with his return we see some improvement and at least get an idea of what we can do from a blocking standpoint.

2. Mockabee more involved in the offense (especially early). Last week I think he only had 6 touches in the whole first half. He might be our most talented offensive player. He will likely never get 30 carries in this offense but I think we need him to have somwhere between 20-30 touches.

3. More tempo. It feels like I heard a lot about tempo in the offseason and I just didn’t see it in week 1. Perhaps this team isn’t capable of a fast pace yet in the coaches eyes.

4. More varied defense. Again I heard all offseason about this defense being designed to confuse the qb by looking the same but not always being the same. It looked to me like we played straight man with a single high safety 75+% of our defensive snaps. Most of which was identified immediately by offensive shifts pre snap. That’s not going to confuse any qb imo.

5. Quick reads and spread the ball around. Unlike many I don’t really care if our qb runs even a yard. The same thing can be achieved by making quick decisions and getting the ball out of the qbs hands. We only had 17 receptions last week and only 1 guy had more than 50 yards receiving and nobody had more than 4 receptions. When I think of air raid I think of 30ish completions per game. Lets get the ball out quick and move the ball around.

Reactions: Woodsa
While Purdue made some big plays, I want them to make plays at crunch time, like stopping VT on 3rd downs a lot of the time, and converting short yardage for a first down or to score.

Let me start off by saying I trust these coaches know a million times more than I do so I am sure what I see is seen with way more clarity by them.

But I would like to see.

1. Our O-line improve. From what I have read our backup center, who took most of the snaps in spring/summer ball will be back. Hopefully with his return we see some improvement and at least get an idea of what we can do from a blocking standpoint.

2. Mockabee more involved in the offense (especially early). Last week I think he only had 6 touches in the whole first half. He might be our most talented offensive player. He will likely never get 30 carries in this offense but I think we need him to have somwhere between 20-30 touches.

3. More tempo. It feels like I heard a lot about tempo in the offseason and I just didn’t see it in week 1. Perhaps this team isn’t capable of a fast pace yet in the coaches eyes.

4. More varied defense. Again I heard all offseason about this defense being designed to confuse the qb by looking the same but not always being the same. It looked to me like we played straight man with a single high safety 75+% of our defensive snaps. Most of which was identified immediately by offensive shifts pre snap. That’s not going to confuse any qb imo.

5. Quick reads and spread the ball around. Unlike many I don’t really care if our qb runs even a yard. The same thing can be achieved by making quick decisions and getting the ball out of the qbs hands. We only had 17 receptions last week and only 1 guy had more than 50 yards receiving and nobody had more than 4 receptions. When I think of air raid I think of 30ish completions per game. Lets get the ball out quick and move the ball around.
18% on Third Downs will certainly reduce your reception numbers....

Loved how Card made plays with his legs yesterday. That was big.
Didn’t see a ton of separation for our WRs but I think VT DBs are pretty good. Burka was getting frustrated because he had a lock down corner on him.
Max Klare? Is gonna be a good one. He was big.
We have a very good run D.
Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a defensive strategy that sets up the free safety 25-30 yards downfield.
Please run some screens! That will slow down the rush and it’s an easy, high % play.
Tracey looks quicker and with more burst this year.

Loved how Card made plays with his legs yesterday. That was big.
Didn’t see a ton of separation for our WRs but I think VT DBs are pretty good. Burka was getting frustrated because he had a lock down corner on him.
Max Klare? Is gonna be a good one. He was big.
We have a very good run D.
Don’t know if I’ve ever seen a defensive strategy that sets up the free safety 25-30 yards downfield.
Please run some screens! That will slow down the rush and it’s an easy, high % play.
Tracey looks quicker and with more burst this year.
Virginia tech plays a 4-2-5 cover 3 cover 4. Those defenses deny you the deep ball and make you work the flat. So when card ran to the outside then hit downing on the run up the sideline, that was good execution

Virginia tech plays a 4-2-5 cover 3 cover 4. Those defenses deny you the deep ball and make you work the flat. So when card ran to the outside then hit downing on the run up the sideline, that was good execution
Card made some really good decisions on dumping off to the RBs. The late one to Mock probably won the game.
Still want them to run a bunch of screens and just get the ball into guys hands who can do damage.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT