ADVERTISEMENT

Piferi enrolling early

Does that change our scholarship count or does he stay in 2019?
He counts towards last years. Looks like there will be 5 enrolling early. If that’s the case, it likely opens up another two spots if Bell also jumps on board. Possibly wait and see with Can Williams and/or grad transfers at LB (Holt’s son at WKU) or OL.

He counts towards last years. Looks like there will be 5 enrolling early. If that’s the case, it likely opens up another two spots if Bell also jumps on board. Possibly wait and see with Can Williams and/or grad transfers at LB (Holt’s son at WKU) or OL.
I believe 5 is the max you can count towards 2018 for mid-year enrollees, and only if there were open spots. Last year we had 24 so only one open spot, but I thought we had 3-4 2018 early enrollees that would have counted towards 2017. We currently have 24 known commits for 2019 so we could have as many as 30 provided we have some attrition to stay below 85 and we can roll back all 5 early enrollees. That would be good for Bell and maybe some surprises :).

I believe 5 is the max you can count towards 2018 for mid-year enrollees, and only if there were open spots. Last year we had 24 so only one open spot, but I thought we had 3-4 2018 early enrollees that would have counted towards 2017. We currently have 24 known commits for 2019 so we could have as many as 30 provided we have some attrition to stay below 85 and we can roll back all 5 early enrollees. That would be good for Bell and maybe some surprises :).
Thanks for the better analysis!!

BTW, I'm asking the obvious question, would Piferi enroll to Purdue and come 1/2 way across the U.S. if Brohm were leaving?
That would seem to tailspin the recruiting class into a wait and see moment where Piferi would likely NOT proceed thru the enrolling process and instead would open his recruitment for Fall 2019 enrollment.

At this point, the 85 player limit is the concern

this is what happens when you start recruiting a better brand of player. You no longer have the player attrition you once experienced as few players are flunking out getting suspended off the team, or players leaving because they are just not good enough, and are encouraged to leave. this is a good thing.

Sure , you'd like to add 30 new players a year. but the players we currently have are pretty darn good. It would appear if you really want to add more players, the attrition will have to come from some of our current verbals.

this is what happens when you start recruiting a better brand of player. You no longer have the player attrition you once experienced as few players are flunking out getting suspended off the team, or players leaving because they are just not good enough, and are encouraged to leave. this is a good thing.

Sure , you'd like to add 30 new players a year. but the players we currently have are pretty darn good. It would appear if you really want to add more players, the attrition will have to come from some of our current verbals.

There is always attrition and a big part of that is playing time. So your argument you have solid players works the other way where you have good players that see the writing on the wall and want to leave. What if Brohm tells our two redshirt seniors who contributed next to nothing he won't give them a scholarship for a 5th year (Turner and Trussell)? With all our good WRs in 2018 and 2019 would not surprise me if guys like Catlett, Franklin, and Hamilton would look elsewhere for more playing time. Last year many folks on this board freaked out about the 85 and we came in way under that. Also, I am only trying to establish a cap, I doubt we pick up 6 more commits while holding onto the 24 we have!

I will agree that having 54 scholarships locked into 2 classes may create issues for future classes, but if we have some very good players that want to switch over I would take that problem!

BTW, I'm asking the obvious question, would Piferi enroll to Purdue and come 1/2 way across the U.S. if Brohm were leaving?
That would seem to tailspin the recruiting class into a wait and see moment where Piferi would likely NOT proceed thru the enrolling process and instead would open his recruitment for Fall 2019 enrollment.
I would think this would be another indication he is not leaving.

You have Milton Wright verbal 2 weeks ago when he knew that Petrino was going to get fired. He just said on Friday night, after his team’s win, to the Courier-Journal in a video that he is going to Purdue. They asked him twice. He answered Purdue twice.

Moore made his statement on Saturday after the game. I believe Brohm to a very honest and straightforward person. I know the arguments for him leaving, but I think he is on the verge of something big with us, and the foundation is there with just a couple of more verbals. That statement was to you Mr. Bell, if you are listening. I think he wants to see it through. After that, he could probably go anywhere he would want to go, including NFL.

Brohm will stay at Purdue because he knows Bell will come on board. As an offensive guy, JB is salivating at schemes and plays he will be able to draw up next fall. If Brohm leaves, Bell likely goes out of state.

Reactions: ahhculdee
Brohm will stay at Purdue because he knows Bell will come on board. As an offensive guy, JB is salivating at schemes and plays he will be able to draw up next fall. If Brohm leaves, Bell likely goes out of state.
I think that is a given that he goes out of state, if Brohm would happen to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT