ADVERTISEMENT

Perry, Harris, and Forsythe class of 2024

Looks like we are taking a look at another PG. Kid was originally committed to Rutgers.

Wonder if this is Painter trying to get one of the other prospects to commit.

It makes since. I think Perry is more of a PG than Harris, but both are likely combo guards and the roster needs another true PG with Smith going forward IMO.

Sounds like Perry has some stiff competition. Really hope he doesn't wind up at IU, but they have clear path to playing time.

Everything you read says Purdue is in great shape with Harris.

Adding an athletic PG like Warren to pair with another skilled guard like Perry or Harris would compliment this roster nicely

It makes since. I think Perry is more of a PG than Harris, but both are likely combo guards and the roster needs another true PG with Smith going forward IMO.

Sounds like Perry has some stiff competition. Really hope he doesn't wind up at IU, but they have clear path to playing time.

Everything you read says Purdue is in great shape with Harris.

Adding an athletic PG like Warren to pair with another skilled guard like Perry or Harris would compliment this roster nicely
Not sure our chances with Warren. @cubuffsdoug replied to another post about Cam Spencer and said Warren wants to be the lead PG and Rutgers got another kid who is taking that spot. Would he be fine with playing behind Smith for 2 year? Not sure but something to consider

All are combo guards Purdue is recruiting for the 2024 class. All have won their conference championships. With Benter and Catchings already in the class both wings and combo guards both won their conference championships as well. With Edey, Morton, Gillis, and Newman set to exit in 2024. Purdue could take two of the three. But with Flory Bidunga on the table, should they? While this is a good problem to have it gets even more complicated when you factor in 2025 one and done Jalen Haralson. I was recently asked which one I would take. To answer that question, we have to look at what we will have. Loyer, Smith, Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and Benter. Six players for 3 spots. IMO Painter will add just one of them. Colvin will find playing time in 2023 he reclassified up a year. He is a big strong 6'6 wing with more physical abilities than anyone on the team. Colvin will be here 2 years only. Catchings is a one and done talent at 6'8 he is the best option to back up Smith and Furst as well as both wings. He will be on the floor at all times. Jack the backboard slayer is the toughest of them all or at least tied with Colvin. He can play either wing spot I would say 1, 2, and 3 but Catchings is the better option at PG. And we all know some of what Smith and Loyer bring to the table. So, which one would I take? Perry scored 61 points against an inferior team last week. Dayton Forsythe scored 45 points with 12 boards and 11 assists against a school twice their size. Harris won his conference championship scoring 41 points vs the second ranked team in Georgia. Harris is a big strong guard who loves to play defense his game is physical and translates well in the B10. Perry is a scorer not sure his body is B10 ready, but he can score in so many ways. Forsythe is a Braden Smith clone he has a warrior mentally and is simply a winner the best passer of the 3 he makes everyone better a pass first PG who averages 25 per. I would take the first one to commit. If that isn't Forsythe, then I would hope he doesn't go to Nebraska. Jaden Ivey and Carsen Edwards have put Purdue near the top of any combo guards list. Just to complicate thing I am hearing Markus Burton a Notre Dame signee is in play. He will likely win MR. BB edging out Xavier Booker. Even with Brey leaving I am not sure he would pick Purdue a 5'10 point guard competing with Smith?

When I think about the 2024 season, I can't even come up with a starting five. Smith, Loyer, Furst, Colvin seem to be locks. With Kaufman-Renn and Berg sharing time at the 5. But then you leave out Catching whom I believe is one of best players Painter has ever landed. Good problems to have maybe?
TKR isnt' a center and can't guard them (well). He has a bit of low post game so he played the Zack role last year. Furst can guard and rebounds better. TKR shoots better and has a nice jumper.
Caleb = 5, TKR = 4, both will start and will be needed together to replace Zack's rebounding. - Book it ;)

TKR isnt' a center and can't guard them (well). He has a bit of low post game so he played the Zack role last year. Furst can guard and rebounds better. TKR shoots better and has a nice jumper.
Caleb = 5, TKR = 4, both will start and will be needed together to replace Zack's rebounding. - Book it ;)
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have to wonder that, if true, why didn't Painter play TKR as the backup 4 and Furst as the backup 5 last year? Was it that he wanted Furst on the floor more than TKR and there were more minutes available at the 4? I'm really puzzled here and not attacking your post.

Not sure our chances with Warren. @cubuffsdoug replied to another post about Cam Spencer and said Warren wants to be the lead PG and Rutgers got another kid who is taking that spot. Would he be fine with playing behind Smith for 2 year? Not sure but something to consider

Yeah, maybe he won't like that then and it might be a red flag if he doesn't want to compete for time.

I do like that Purdue is going after another true PG and more athleticism at the guard spot though.

All are combo guards Purdue is recruiting for the 2024 class. All have won their conference championships. With Benter and Catchings already in the class both wings and combo guards both won their conference championships as well. With Edey, Morton, Gillis, and Newman set to exit in 2024. Purdue could take two of the three. But with Flory Bidunga on the table, should they? While this is a good problem to have it gets even more complicated when you factor in 2025 one and done Jalen Haralson. I was recently asked which one I would take. To answer that question, we have to look at what we will have. Loyer, Smith, Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and Benter. Six players for 3 spots. IMO Painter will add just one of them. Colvin will find playing time in 2023 he reclassified up a year. He is a big strong 6'6 wing with more physical abilities than anyone on the team. Colvin will be here 2 years only. Catchings is a one and done talent at 6'8 he is the best option to back up Smith and Furst as well as both wings. He will be on the floor at all times. Jack the backboard slayer is the toughest of them all or at least tied with Colvin. He can play either wing spot I would say 1, 2, and 3 but Catchings is the better option at PG. And we all know some of what Smith and Loyer bring to the table. So, which one would I take? Perry scored 61 points against an inferior team last week. Dayton Forsythe scored 45 points with 12 boards and 11 assists against a school twice their size. Harris won his conference championship scoring 41 points vs the second ranked team in Georgia. Harris is a big strong guard who loves to play defense his game is physical and translates well in the B10. Perry is a scorer not sure his body is B10 ready, but he can score in so many ways. Forsythe is a Braden Smith clone he has a warrior mentally and is simply a winner the best passer of the 3 he makes everyone better a pass first PG who averages 25 per. I would take the first one to commit. If that isn't Forsythe, then I would hope he doesn't go to Nebraska. Jaden Ivey and Carsen Edwards have put Purdue near the top of any combo guards list. Just to complicate thing I am hearing Markus Burton a Notre Dame signee is in play. He will likely win MR. BB edging out Xavier Booker. Even with Brey leaving I am not sure he would pick Purdue a 5'10 point guard competing with Smith?

When I think about the 2024 season, I can't even come up with a starting five. Smith, Loyer, Furst, Colvin seem to be locks. With Kaufman-Renn and Berg sharing time at the 5. But then you leave out Catching whom I believe is one of best players Painter has ever landed. Good problems to have maybe?
Flory? Seriously?

• Wow
Reactions: Boiler Buck
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have to wonder that, if true, why didn't Painter play TKR as the backup 4 and Furst as the backup 5 last year? Was it that he wanted Furst on the floor more than TKR and there were more minutes available at the 4? I'm really puzzled here and not attacking your post.
Yes, very clearly he wanted Futst on the floor and more and obviously there were more minutes available at the four than the five.

Painter has already been quoted at least twice in the last two months saying that he needs to find more minutes for TKR’s this season.

Who knows, that's on the coaches. I suspect that they agreed with me that Caleb was further along and could help the team more in that given role. He's not been as effective as I anticipated and we ended up needing shooting more than most expected. He boards well and has helped the team there a lot, but his scoring hasn't been there much. Hence TKR's role as backup Edey being the low post threat.
Matt said he should have found more minutes for TKR as we needed more shooters.

Who knows, that's on the coaches. I suspect that they agreed with me that Caleb was further along and could help the team more in that given role. He's not been as effective as I anticipated and we ended up needing shooting more than most expected. He boards well and has helped the team there a lot, but his scoring hasn't been there much. Hence TKR's role as backup Edey being the low post threat.
Matt said he should have found more minutes for TKR as we needed more shooters.
Furst needed more PT towards the end of the season. Painter blew that one.

Why would anybody ask you what you think?

We might be pretty loaded next year....

There's usually a few of us here who are pretty loaded....so there's some symmetry, which is nice.

caddyshack-bill-murray.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT