ADVERTISEMENT

Painter goes into the portal

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
With what PU has coming in, and coming back, does CMP look into the portal for another Jones?

And with Meetchicken and OSU losing coaches, are there any players from those schools you'd like to see as a Boiler.

Okay, I'll bite. I think the only option here is raiding the Michigan roster, considering that OSU just hired Diebler as the head coach. I would be shocked if anyone left. He has that program trending on an upward swing.

From UM's roster, I would probably try to poach Dug McDaniel or maybe Terrance Williams as a grad senior. Other than those two, no thanks.

Reactions: wferrel
Lot of things would have to happen for us to hit the portal. Would need more than 2 to leave along with a potential starter. I doubt that happens but stranger things have happened to us.

I think we see Furst and Morton leave and maybe even Waddell. Perhaps even Gillis hangs it up. With the strength of our incoming class, you want to give them a chance to shine.

Okay, I'll bite. I think the only option here is raiding the Michigan roster, considering that OSU just hired Diebler as the head coach. I would be shocked if anyone left. He has that program trending on an upward swing.

From UM's roster, I would probably try to poach Dug McDaniel or maybe Terrance Williams as a grad senior. Other than those two, no thanks.
McDaniel is a big no way for me. Guy couldn't even play full time this year because of "academic issues". That smells of trouble to me.

No. We start next year by giving the players committed to us a chance to perform. Culture is important to Coach Painter and I don't think he recruited a huge class with the intention of portalling over them before they set foot on campus. If (multiple) people leave and something opens up so be it but I don't think that is the plan or intention.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if one or even up to 3 players go to the portal. We could have one that really surprises us with why? It is so easy to go that route now and it can come down to an instance that pissed them off one time or another.

Reactions: Fugs and ChoiceBeef
That too....but I have to believe we lose one or two players who might be asked to not come back or simply redshirt. I do want Furst and Gillis on the team next year along with Loyer, Smith, and TKR.
i think Morton may want to come back but will encourage otherwise. Could see him offers a assistant role however. i know if Mason wanted to come back every year for the next decade I would let him, just be the consummate playmaker and teammate, love that guy. i would hate to see it but I'm sure that braydon will at least dip his toe in the NBA waters. the rest i would only be speculating. I hope colvin knows just how big a piece he will be in next years team. i could see him taking the role of jones. harris as awesome as he looks i thingk will take at least a half a season to integrate. Caleb may be the only casualty i worry. but i may be wrong he has taken his role in stride this year for the great er good and he played great last year so who knows. going to be exciting and painful all at the same time

Ok, from another thread several of you said it was perfectly ok for that IU player to ask out of his LOI to attend IU even after he signed his LOI.

Many of you keep speculating about a current player leaving Purdue to make room for our 6 incoming recruits.

I’ll put this suggestion to you. If the player can get out of his IU commitment, can’t a Purdue recruit do the same thing?

And while you ‘re talking portals and transfers, rather than going after a Michigan player, why not send one of our new recruits packing and go after the guy who backed out of his IU contract?

Personally I don’t see Painter being a big player in the portal. He has usually used the portal only as a last resort to fill a hole rather than going after someone to build a team around. Jones has worked out well, but if Painter had signed the guard he was recruiting, he wouldn’t have been looking in the portal.

I’m not sure if Newman left because he wanted to start or if he received the talk and was suggested to leave! If Newman had stayed, jones would never have been a boilermaker

That too....but I have to believe we lose one or two players who might be asked to not come back or simply redshirt. I do want Furst and Gillis on the team next year along with Loyer, Smith, and TKR.
Why would we tell someone to not come back and then recruit someone from the portal? What do we need next year that we won’t have already?

Reactions: boilermaker75
To keep all the incoming class plus Gillis plus a portal guy you would need 3 of Heide, Colvin, Berg, Waddell to not come back.

No. We start next year by giving the players committed to us a chance to perform. Culture is important to Coach Painter and I don't think he recruited a huge class with the intention of portalling over them before they set foot on campus. If (multiple) people leave and something opens up so be it but I don't think that is the plan or intention.
Not to mention these guys are supposedly ready to play....... to what extent remains to be seen.
You'd rather bring in frosh i think. Lance has been amazing for us, but here and gone in a year isn't ideal.
Two combo guards, here's hoping one of them can fill that role. Not as starter but important next guard.
I thought Gillis was a senior?

Not to mention these guys are supposedly ready to play....... to what extent remains to be seen.
You'd rather bring in frosh i think. Lance has been amazing for us, but here and gone in a year isn't ideal.
Two combo guards, here's hoping one of them can fill that role. Not as starter but important next guard.
I thought Gillis was a senior?

Mason Gillis and Ethan Morton can take COVID years.....they both went through senior day festivities, so my guess (and that's all it is) would be that if they took it, they would play elsewhere.

THIS season isn't done yet, however. :)

Not unless we have surprise departures, and even then, I think he still just looks for a solid senior to bring experience. We're not going for anything crazy with such a massive class coming in and both Heide and Colvin will get major minutes, and probably Berg too

McDaniel is a big no way for me. Guy couldn't even play full time this year because of "academic issues". That smells of trouble to me.
Yeah, good call on McDaniel. We certainly don't need a troublemaker on the team. Williams seems like a good kid, though. Not that we have room for him anyway. Just playing along with the "what if" scenario laid out by Twin.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
There is a kid on Westfield from New Zealand (nic book) who is creating some buzz. No real offers but remember that name…

I like the makeup of this team with one grad-transfer and the rest being original recruits. The unity and playing for each other I doubt you see that team on a team that is 80% from the portal. I like that Painter is maintaining this culture and doing it the right way.
He can play it as long as Purdue is viewed a top program and he gets who he wants. He is betting on a team beating individual talent in some cases and as long as he keeps having players get older he can do that. We are in a different world a world that Saban said is different than his 50 years of coaching.

Reactions: Lionheart1
i think Morton may want to come back but will encourage otherwise. Could see him offers a assistant role however. i know if Mason wanted to come back every year for the next decade I would let him, just be the consummate playmaker and teammate, love that guy. i would hate to see it but I'm sure that braydon will at least dip his toe in the NBA waters. the rest i would only be speculating. I hope colvin knows just how big a piece he will be in next years team. i could see him taking the role of jones. harris as awesome as he looks i thingk will take at least a half a season to integrate. Caleb may be the only casualty i worry. but i may be wrong he has taken his role in stride this year for the great er good and he played great last year so who knows. going to be exciting and painful all at the same time
wat

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
He can play it as long as Purdue is viewed a top program and he gets who he wants. He is betting on a team beating individual talent in some cases and as long as he keeps having players get older he can do that. We are in a different world a world that Saban said is different than his 50 years of coaching.
It will be interesting to see how Catchings plays out. There is a chance Catchings won't be an all league type player his freshman year, but scouts could still see his potential and he could get drafted. Purdue hasn't had a recruit that was on anybody's draft board for a while (if ever).

I'm looking forward to seeing him play but I'm not confident he'll have a huge impact on Purdue's success over the next several years like Edey, Edwards, Moore.......

I like the makeup of this team with one grad-transfer and the rest being original recruits. The unity and playing for each other I doubt you see that team on a team that is 80% from the portal. I like that Painter is maintaining this culture and doing it the right way.
The goal is to win a NC, not just put together group of players who get along. Plus, none of us are in the locker room, we don't know whether these guys like eachother or not. But, if you can use the portal to build a better team and upgrade the talent, you absolutely do so.

You don't think you can find better players in the portal than what you already have? About every position is upgradable.

I hear you, Lenny.....and in theory yes. However, you do have to weigh/balance what effect it has on the team chemistry and also build in system learning curve, IMO. It makes more of a delicate balancing act because of the program/roster construction and recruiting commitments/profile. Painter though has acknowledged the portal and its utility.

There is a rush/emphasis on short-term results (or goals), and I get why that is, but there is more to it than that. I loathe this idea of just rolling out a new team (or a major portion of it) every year, but......so be it I guess.....the train is coming. Was intercollegiate athletcis really designed for wild west free agency?

Now.....fair point if people think otherwise.

I'm getting too worked up already for a Monday.....Aye Yai Yai.

It will be interesting to see how Catchings plays out. There is a chance Catchings won't be an all league type player his freshman year, but scouts could still see his potential and he could get drafted. Purdue hasn't had a recruit that was on anybody's draft board for a while (if ever).

I'm looking forward to seeing him play but I'm not confident he'll have a huge impact on Purdue's success over the next several years like Edey, Edwards, Moore.......
I hear you, Lenny.....and in theory yes. However, you do have to weigh/balance what effect it has on the team chemistry and also build in system learning curve, IMO. It makes more of a delicate balancing act because of the program/roster construction and recruiting commitments/profile. Painter though has acknowledged the portal and its utility.

There is a rush/emphasis on short-term results (or goals), and I get why that is, but there is more to it than that. I loathe this idea of just rolling out a new team (or a major portion of it) every year, but......so be it I guess.....the train is coming. Was intercollegiate athletcis really designed for wild west free agency?

Thank you...saved me from typing about chemistry and such. Plugging a spot will most likely take place down the road sometime and it could grow to two possibly, but Matt's approach right or wrong is more cerebral (lot of sets and language to learn) with the team being more than a collection of individuals. Play a different style and recruit a different player and the portal could provide more interest IMO

Reactions: POTFHBTFU

like you Kanon's years will probably be few

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
You don't think you can find better players in the portal than what you already have? About every position is upgradable.
well we have six coming in so taking out of the portal means the 7th guy is upgradeable. Disagree on Braden, TKR, Heide, Colvin, and Loyer. You don’t recruit over those guys. That leaves Berg, Furst, and Waddell and one of those guys already is gone as we are over signed. Reports are Waddell is really good he just plays behind too many good players. If you can get a Hunter Dickinson type player at center I would agree but we won’t. But my guess is Painter will be happy with the 4 options he has at center (although decent chance one won’t be here). At the 4 we can play TKR and Heide. We are so good at guard next year I don’t see why anyone worth a crap would be willing to come here, certainly not someone better than Loyer.

The goal is to win a NC, not just put together group of players who get along. Plus, none of us are in the locker room, we don't know whether these guys like eachother or not. But, if you can use the portal to build a better team and upgrade the talent, you absolutely do so.
MP is not going to the portal unless someone leaves voluntarily (in addition to whoever is leaving to fix the oversign)

well we have six coming in so taking out of the portal means the 7th guy is upgradeable. Disagree on Braden, TKR, Heide, Colvin, and Loyer. You don’t recruit over those guys. That leaves Berg, Furst, and Waddell and one of those guys already is gone as we are over signed. Reports are Waddell is really good he just plays behind too many good players. If you can get a Hunter Dickinson type player at center I would agree but we won’t. But my guess is Painter will be happy with the 4 options he has at center (although decent chance one won’t be here). At the 4 we can play TKR and Heide. We are so good at guard next year I don’t see why anyone worth a crap would be willing to come here, certainly not someone better than Loyer.
Maybe I’m the minority but I want to get away from the slow dump it into the post style. Love Zach and all he has brought to Purdue but the potential returning players + new class = world of possibilities to play faster and more dynamic. I think the ideal starting lineup day 1 is TKR, Catchings, Colvin, Loyer and Braden. Maybe do Nebraska style line changes with 2nd 5 of Berg, Burgess, Cam, Cox and Harris.....just spitballing

Maybe I’m the minority but I want to get away from the slow dump it into the post style. Love Zach and all he has brought to Purdue but the potential returning players + new class = world of possibilities to play faster and more dynamic. I think the ideal starting lineup day 1 is TKR, Catchings, Colvin, Loyer and Braden. Maybe do Nebraska style line changes with 2nd 5 of Berg, Burgess, Cam, Cox and Harris.....just spitballing
Agreed beef! Zach has been amazing to watch and make Purdue what they are. But next years team and beyond is going to be a different type of offense we haven’t seen since maybe 2019? Play more to the strengths of Braden and have the offense run through him.

I like your lineup choices…and it doesn’t even include Jacobsen, which I’m super interested in seeing if he is able to separate himself when he gets to campus and even same with Benter.

I think whether or not people like it, you are going to get your wish.

I like that except i would swap loyer for Heide and essentially play 4 guards. Heide is faster, stronger to the rim, better rebounder, and more upside on defense.

I think whether or not people like it, you are going to get your wish.

More ball-hawking on the wings and back-court.....less drop coverage and continued increase in tempo (which has gone up dramtically this year) with a little more mobile (but certainly less dominating) post play. Still plenty of shooters.

Painter has chosen to play the hand he was dealt (and to a large extent play the percentages (maybe too stubbornly for many)) - and Zach Edey turned out to be pocket aces. Now, do you always win with that? No. Painter also does not bluff, whether you like it or not or whether or not he should once in a while.

JMHO.

It's not all-in yet, although it feels like that sometimes. Hopefully, the result will not be like recent years..... :)

F6u.gif

I think you're taking an idealistic approach, which I understand. But the reality is, the NCAA has created a free agency system for college athletes and the best ones are going to take advantage of that financially (as they should).

I think the team chemistry thing is overblown. The only teams chemistry needed is a collective commitment to winning. Obviously you don't want any locker room headaches and you have to vet guys to ensure you can make them fit, but these guys all know what's happening now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT