ADVERTISEMENT

Painter goes into the portal

Agreed beef! Zach has been amazing to watch and make Purdue what they are. But next years team and beyond is going to be a different type of offense we haven’t seen since maybe 2019? Play more to the strengths of Braden and have the offense run through him.

I like your lineup choices…and it doesn’t even include Jacobsen, which I’m super interested in seeing if he is able to separate himself when he gets to campus and even same with Benter.
I agree on Jacobsen and Benter. Biggest challenge for Jacobsen, in my opinion, is Berg will be in year 3 on the team and being developed and Jacobsen is young. That is a big hill to climb.

As for Benter, dude appears to have a complete bag by scoring abilities at all 3 levels. Going to be fun watching how the spring and summer practices go. We were all shocked when day 1 of 22-23 season rolled up that Smith and Loyer were starters. Never say never on who our starting 5 will be.

MP is not going to the portal unless someone leaves voluntarily (in addition to whoever is leaving to fix the oversign)
I expect Mason to enter the portal, where he will be very attractive to some big-spending programs, to play one more year.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I think you're taking an idealistic approach, which I understand. But the reality is, the NCAA has created a free agency system for college athletes and the best ones are going to take advantage of that financially (as they should).

I think the team chemistry thing is overblown. The only teams chemistry needed is a collective commitment to winning. Obviously you don't want any locker room headaches and you have to vet guys to ensure you can make them fit, but these guys all know what's happening now.
Agee and disagree. Miami on paper had that and they were awful this year. Same argument could be made about Michigan.

On the other hand, if you focus on winning and keeping egos in check, then nothing else matters.

well we have six coming in so taking out of the portal means the 7th guy is upgradeable. Disagree on Braden, TKR, Heide, Colvin, and Loyer. You don’t recruit over those guys. That leaves Berg, Furst, and Waddell and one of those guys already is gone as we are over signed. Reports are Waddell is really good he just plays behind too many good players. If you can get a Hunter Dickinson type player at center I would agree but we won’t. But my guess is Painter will be happy with the 4 options he has at center (although decent chance one won’t be here). At the 4 we can play TKR and Heide. We are so good at guard next year I don’t see why anyone worth a crap would be willing to come here, certainly not someone better than Loyer.
I think Loyer is probably the most likely upgrable. Not naming names, but there's probably some 6'5 shooting guards out there who can hit 40% from 3 but also be an upgrade on D.

Why do you say "worth a crap willing to come here"? By all the metrics, Jones was an unlikely addition and he's turned out to be pretty good.

MP is not going to the portal unless someone leaves voluntarily (in addition to whoever is leaving to fix the oversign)
Which has been a criticism of mine for Painter and lack of using the portal since it became what it is now.
Maybe Painter is that loyal to the recruits that commit as freshman and he doesn't like the hired gun approach.

Agee and disagree. Miami on paper had that and they were awful this year. Same argument could be made about Michigan.

On the other hand, if you focus on winning and keeping egos in check, then nothing else matters.
What, Miami? They went to the FF last year? You don't think Purdue would trade an awful year for a FF year? Come on.

I'm focused on winning (in March) when it matters.

What, Miami? They went to the FF last year? You don't think Purdue would trade an awful year for a FF year? Come on.

I'm focused on winning (in March) when it matters.
What seed is Miami in the tourney this year?

I like that except i would swap loyer for Heide and essentially play 4 guards. Heide is faster, stronger to the rim, better rebounder, and more upside on defense.
I hope he shows more aggression in looking for his shot. I understand that the offense is not designed for him to do that right now, since he’s down in the pecking order. But hope he displays that next year!

We have no clue if either of those four can fill Jone's void. Heide has shown some promise, but not at the level Jones has played...and yes, I know Jones is older.
We had no idea jones would be who he is this year. Heide, Colvin or Harris could be that way next year. Also l, no guarantees a transfer guy would come in if he he isn’t guaranteed playing time, as he sees how much competition there is for mins.

We had no idea jones would be who he is this year. Heide, Colvin or Harris could be that way next year. Also l, no guarantees a transfer guy would come in if he he isn’t guaranteed playing time, as he sees how much competition there is for mins.
True, but CMP evidently did. One thing for sure, guys next year will certainly have to step up their games...and I'm not counting on the freshman class to make a huge difference.

How about another Lance Jones? I'd damn sure take another one or two of him. I don't see anyone on the current bench that can fill his role.
I think Harris can, and Colvin, Catchings and Heide can also provide a bit off the ball speed and strength he has. If you get another Lance where do you take the minutes from? Even if you play small you have Braden, Loyer, Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and Harris splitting 160 mpg. Braden plays close to 40 mpg on his own.

I think Loyer is probably the most likely upgrable. Not naming names, but there's probably some 6'5 shooting guards out there who can hit 40% from 3 but also be an upgrade on D.

Why do you say "worth a crap willing to come here"? By all the metrics, Jones was an unlikely addition and he's turned out to be pretty good.
I would agree on Loyer he’s about hit his ceiling.

we had a lot of minutes to give and Lance saw the opportunity. We lose one guard and pick up two and also Heide and Colvin will also be looking for more minutes and showed a ton of potential.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
True, but CMP evidently did. One thing for sure, guys next year will certainly have to step up their games...and I'm not counting on the freshman class to make a huge difference.
for sure but where do mins come from for the transfer?

Smith will be 30-35 (Harris/cox other 5-10?)
Loyer/colvin will be 30 minimum (Harris/cox the other 10?)
Heide/catchings will be 40
TKR/ Berg/burgess/jacobsen/furst will be combo of 80 min in front court

He can play it as long as Purdue is viewed a top program and he gets who he wants. He is betting on a team beating individual talent in some cases and as long as he keeps having players get older he can do that. We are in a different world a world that Saban said is different than his 50 years of coaching.
He might even know that he wants another experienced guy if he doens't think the frosh will be Big 10 ready.
I would agree on Loyer he’s about hit his ceiling.

we had a lot of minutes to give and Lance saw the opportunity. We lose one guard and pick up two and also Heide and Colvin will also be looking for more minutes and showed a ton of potential.
Oh goodness no. Strenth is still holding him back. Another year stronger and I'm hoping he doesn't hit the floor so much. That's not to say that others won't push him, but i'll be very surprised if he's not a big factor next 2 years.

They're still talking about their FF run last year. What seed was Purdue last year? How'd that work out for us?
And then what? 2 highly ranked recruits already in the portal and supposedly 2 more ready to jump as well after finishing ahead of Louisville in their conference.

Did we crap the bed last year as a 1 seed? Yes but we are back as a 1 seed. Miami players are hoping their Life Lock checks clear.

Seriously, never met a bigger noodle brain in my life.

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG
This is the kind of talk that makes me hate the portal. As soon as we start turning over 50% of our team each year, I will be out as a fan. I'm about there with the football team. I'm not opposed to NIL, and I don't blame the players for chasing as much as they can make during their college years; but I just have no interest in this new semi-pro game. To me, it's not the right thing for the players' development as men. How are they even working the college credits with all the transfers? Are fewer graduating now? I'll step of my boomer soapbox now.

And then what? 2 highly ranked recruits already in the portal and supposedly 2 more ready to jump as well after finishing ahead of Louisville in their conference.

Did we crap the bed last year as a 1 seed? Yes but we are back as a 1 seed. Miami players are hoping their Life Lock checks clear.

If only we had gotten Xavier Johnson. We wouldn't have had to take that small, unathletic Braden Smith kid and we would be moving toward our 2nd or 3rd championship. Stubborn Painter. And that Lance Jones kid? What was Painter thinking?

Hopefully we pull the UVA turnaround and go from embarrassment to national champion.
The portal giveth and the portal taketh.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If only we had gotten Xavier Johnson. We wouldn't have had to take that small, unathletic Braden Smith kid and we would be moving toward our 2nd or 3rd championship. Stubborn Painter. And that Lance Jones kid? What was Painter thinking?
I wanted Marcus Carr, not XJ

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Which has been a criticism of mine for Painter and lack of using the portal since it became what it is now.
Maybe Painter is that loyal to the recruits that commit as freshman and he doesn't like the hired gun approach.
Nah you can have "the talk" about playing time with guys but if they want to stay, they stay. I do wish we'd be super aggressive with top portal guys when we do have an opening.

He might even know that he wants another experienced guy if he doens't think the frosh will be Big 10 ready.

Oh goodness no. Strenth is still holding him back. Another year stronger and I'm hoping he doesn't hit the floor so much. That's not to say that others won't push him, but i'll be very surprised if he's not a big factor next 2 years.
We’ve been saying that since he was in high school. I’m not banking on it.

Maybe I’m the minority but I want to get away from the slow dump it into the post style. Love Zach and all he has brought to Purdue but the potential returning players + new class = world of possibilities to play faster and more dynamic. I think the ideal starting lineup day 1 is TKR, Catchings, Colvin, Loyer and Braden. Maybe do Nebraska style line changes with 2nd 5 of Berg, Burgess, Cam, Cox and Harris.....just spitballing
I'm with you, regarding the slow post dump. I like winning just like the next guy, but there's something of a cheap high from doing the same thing over and over again...and getting away with it. Kinda like spamming a Tiger Uppercut in Street Fighter because your opponent can't figure out how to stop it.

I'm with you, regarding the slow post dump. I like winning just like the next guy, but there's something of a cheap high from doing the same thing over and over again...and getting away with it. Kinda like spamming a Tiger Uppercut in Street Fighter because your opponent can't figure out how to stop it.

As Ken or Ryu, just need to throw Hadoken when you are away from him and anticipating that uppercut. Catches him in a vulnerable position you counter. Obviously, you sucked at Street Fighter.

Even THIS team is much better when the tempo stays up.
The best we've been this season we were getting out and running a lot more.

This is the kind of talk that makes me hate the portal. As soon as we start turning over 50% of our team each year, I will be out as a fan. I'm about there with the football team. I'm not opposed to NIL, and I don't blame the players for chasing as much as they can make during their college years; but I just have no interest in this new semi-pro game. To me, it's not the right thing for the players' development as men. How are they even working the college credits with all the transfers? Are fewer graduating now? I'll step of my boomer soapbox now.
Most Universities require students to get the final two years of credits from the University to get a degree from that University.

If anyone even cares about the educational aspect of "student athletes" we could see a slowdown in transfers after the extra year for Covid expires. Unless athlete's redshirt we'll be back to student's only getting 4 years of eligibility and four years to complete their degrees.

Most Universities require students to get the final two years of credits from the University to get a degree from that University.

If anyone even cares about the educational aspect of "student athletes" we could see a slowdown in transfers after the extra year for Covid expires. Unless athlete's redshirt we'll be back to student's only getting 4 years of eligibility and four years to complete their degrees.
as long as NIL $ is an option, they'll be a strong incentive for guys to test the market. Where they get a degree from is way down the list of priorities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT