ADVERTISEMENT

Painter at Center Grove this morning

On topic...

MSU was the early favorites but he has since taken a serious liking to IU. I believe it will be a two horse race between MSU and IU. I wouldn't be surprised if he committed early to one of these programs.

Edit: It's recruiting of 16/17 year old kids so anything is possible.

This post is filled with misinformation. Purdue was the first to offer and an early favorite. IU offered him and seemed to pull interest away from Purdue. Purdue isn't out though and he knows what the big guys do at Purdue. MSU just finally got involved and offered. I think all three have a good chance. He still has a long way to go before a decision will be made and many things could happen as far as becoming a top 10 players and teams like Duke/Kentucky/Kansas get involved or he could go the other way and get injured. Purdue has just as good of a shot as any. Saying anything else is dishonest at this point.

He did say he wanted to commit early, but right after that he got some more P5 offers. That tells me that with the offers he had and wanting to sign early, Purdue was very high on his list.

never heard those before...but like them. ;)

Maybe a bit obtuse....but it's not deliberate.

movieposter.jpg

Just a gauge here of my fellow posters....how many of you have blocked 1973 at this point? I mean, I try to keep him unblocked because it's never a bad thing to see the opposing view of arguments but it generally just seems he is either totally depressed (complains about it being sunny and then complains that it is cloudy kind of thing) or just a total troll to fill his time from missing sliding in to the Clapper's tanning booth after Tommy left for the evening.
tell me how to block and I will. Sick and tired of the same old negativity from him and a few others... Can you block on Android or do you have to login to a computer browser.

I completely agree that "hard work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard." Wichita State has had a few great years under a great coach but isn't close to the elite schools. Anything can happen in a one game scenario, the lesser talented team could upset a team loaded with 5* players. My stance, and the facts, back up the claim that the elite programs get their more often with elite programs. The Cinderella story in the tournament is always great to follow; however, if you're a power 5 school wanting to be elite you need to more success than one year. There is a reason that Izzo is able to pull elite recruits and get results. It's also the reason that many other Big Ten schools are still hoping to get to that level.
Still that is your opinion

tell me how to block and I will. Sick and tired of the same old negativity from him and a few others... Can you block on Android or do you have to login to a computer browser.
Click on the user's profile pic. Then hit the ignore button.

If Williams only gets 15 minutes a game, then the practices he has had recently seems unjust. He has worked relentlessly on his dribbling. I believe Louisville will use him as a 3-4 and he will flourish.

Reactions: tynd10
I understand the frustration and the temptation. But not succumbing to it is the definition of integrity.

John Wooden quotes “Be more concerned with your characterthan your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” “The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.”

...both in The Edge ;)
maybe the best post I've ever read... Thanks for posting it!

5* players are not immediately given a starting job. if they have a quality coach they earn that right. I believe Eastern if not a 5* player, is at least very close in those metrics to being one. yet, on this team, he is starting out as PJ's back-up. it's highly possible by the end of the year, he could be starting. but if he does, that will mean he's put in a lot of work and earned the starting position. I believe Eastern could start for a lot of other Division 1 teams. He could possibly start at Sf.
But the promise made to Eastern was that he'd be given first crack at being a point guard, knowing he'd have to beat out PJ for additional playing time. and with Carsen, we have a lot of flexibility.

And I believe painter has been proven to be good on his word. When he signed Swanigan, most critics thought he'd only be at Purdue one year. And Painter was honest and sold him on the opportunity to play PF. if painter informed him he'd be playing center, he'd probably have signed elsewhere.

I believe Eastern's play probably affected Phinisee's decision. Phinisee is a very talented basketball player. But he's limited to playing PG. and he saw the writing on the wall as being a back-up for his first three years to Eastern. and after eastern graduates, there will be another 4-5* PG coming in. So Phinisee saw the possibility of always being a back-up. IU probably promised him an opportunity to start. and that's probably something painter was too honest and couldn't give him that promise.

Reactions: PurdueGator
5* players are not immediately given a starting job. if they have a quality coach they earn that right. I believe Eastern if not a 5* player, is at least very close in those metrics to being one. yet, on this team, he is starting out as PJ's back-up. it's highly possible by the end of the year, he could be starting. but if he does, that will mean he's put in a lot of work and earned the starting position. I believe Eastern could start for a lot of other Division 1 teams. He could possibly start at Sf.
But the promise made to Eastern was that he'd be given first crack at being a point guard, knowing he'd have to beat out PJ for additional playing time. and with Carsen, we have a lot of flexibility.

And I believe painter has been proven to be good on his word. When he signed Swanigan, most critics thought he'd only be at Purdue one year. And Painter was honest and sold him on the opportunity to play PF. if painter informed him he'd be playing center, he'd probably have signed elsewhere.

I believe Eastern's play probably affected Phinisee's decision. Phinisee is a very talented basketball player. But he's limited to playing PG. and he saw the writing on the wall as being a back-up for his first three years to Eastern. and after eastern graduates, there will be another 4-5* PG coming in. So Phinisee saw the possibility of always being a back-up. IU probably promised him an opportunity to start. and that's probably something painter was too honest and couldn't give him that promise.
You bring up my point about stretching the truth. CMP sold Biggie on the idea of playing PF, but Biggie spent a lot of time (including most of his sophomore year) playing the 5. That's the kind of selling I want to see more of. When a recruit commits and starts playing CMP will play him wherever his best fit is on the team. It usually works out well. Carsen committed to play PG and turned out to be way better suited at the 2.

This post is filled with misinformation. Purdue was the first to offer and an early favorite. IU offered him and seemed to pull interest away from Purdue. Purdue isn't out though and he knows what the big guys do at Purdue. MSU just finally got involved and offered. I think all three have a good chance. He still has a long way to go before a decision will be made and many things could happen as far as becoming a top 10 players and teams like Duke/Kentucky/Kansas get involved or he could go the other way and get injured. Purdue has just as good of a shot as any. Saying anything else is dishonest at this point.

He did say he wanted to commit early, but right after that he got some more P5 offers. That tells me that with the offers he had and wanting to sign early, Purdue was very high on his list.
Apologies, I was thinking of Brooks with the early interest in MSU.

As my edit stated, it's recruiting and anything can happen. However, I doubt he leaves the area and I feel pretty confident he'll end up at MSU or IU. I have heard the same about Brooks. Rumblings, "sources", "insiders", however you want to call him have this feeling. It could all change tomorrow and he could verbal to Purdue.

Painter has learned to figure players strengths to their game and put each kid in position to showcase that. Biggie was told the truth by painter he allowed him to b who he was a 5 man in a 4 man body. He was given the green light to shoot bcuz he worked on it and got better at it why painter allowed him to play both positions and he played them well. Had biggie stayed at Mich state he wud have been playing traditional back to the basket big man and that wud have been it. Nick ward how many 3 point shots did he shoot last year none. Not that Izzo lies it's just that he has his system that fits his personal and he sticks to it. My son will have a chance to be who he is as well. If u find some videos of painter talking about his players in this class you will hear him talk about my son versatility. he knows my son can play 4 positions which is why he learning the play book of all the perimeter positions and possibly some 4 more so defensively bcuz of his size. No promises or lies or stretching the truth we were told he wil b able to play 4 positions especially the PG position as well. Carsen played along side deandre fox and fox primarily played PG and carsen was a natural scorer why painter recruited him as well to b who he is a scorer. He has size of a PG but his strengths to his game is his ability to score. I'm saying this is bcuz many coaches get u in there system and cud change things up a bit but for the most part painter has figured out how to maximize each players potential that ultimately helps himself and the team.

Still that is your opinion
True, it is my opinion with facts and stats to back it up. I believe any college basketball fan with an unbiased perspective would have a similar "opinion."

They're elite programs for a reason. The means to reach that level can be questioned but the fact they're there cannot.

True, it is my opinion with facts and stats to back it up. I believe any college basketball fan with an unbiased perspective would have a similar "opinion."

They're elite programs for a reason. The means to reach that level can be questioned but the fact they're there cannot.
Ok whether your facts are right doesn't mean I have to agree with you sir. I'm gonna go off my experience of what I have been through and seen with my own eyes and still feel the way that I feel right or wrong facts or opinions. No argument here I'm stating what I no and your unbiased facts or opinions that may support your reasoning won't change how I feel.

I have used the "Let me find out" line many times. However, I disagree with stretching the truth. When a client asks for a deadline, I give them our best deadline (that is assuming absolutely nothing goes wrong we will have it for you by this date). It's the business world and there are a lot of moving parts, so sometimes that deadline is not met. In that case I get on the phone and explain to the client what happened and give them the new deadline. The truth would be that we could achieve the deadline, but there could be circumstances where the deadline will need to be extended. I simply wouldn't include the second part in this situation. I have never had a complaint from a customer, or needed to "explain a lie". My methods (his methods) work, so as the old saying goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
Of course nobody sells the same......to each their own style, but basics are the same for all.

Like wine or beer...everyone likes what they like and no telling them different.

Reactions: B1GBBFan and tynd10
Ok whether your facts are right doesn't mean I have to agree with you sir. I'm gonna go off my experience of what I have been through and seen with my own eyes and still feel the way that I feel right or wrong facts or opinions. No argument here I'm stating what I no and your unbiased facts or opinions that may support your reasoning won't change how I feel.
They're not my facts though. They're actually what has happened. I had no hand in creating them. I just know them from watching and following college basketball.

"Arizona comes to mind with 5star all American talent every single year and hasn't come close to and elite 8"

Arizona has in fact been to multiple Elite 8s in the recent past. I know this because I watched and followed college basketball. I had no involvement in creating that fact.

Kansas 2012 since its reached final 4.

This statement is true. However, Kansas has reached an Elite 8 with that 5* talent. They have also won the (true round robin) Big 12 Championship for 13 years straight. I know this because I have followed college basketball. I had no involvement creating that fact.

Kentucky 2014 I believe Duke 2014 Louisville 2013, to name a few who has not been to a final 4 since

The first two, Kentucky and Duke, are false statements. Kentucky went to the Final Four in 2015 where they lost to Wisconsin. That same year Duke won a championship with several (Oakfor, Jones, and Winslow) 5* freshmen. These are facts. I know this because I watched the game. I had no involvement in creating these facts.

You can argue the means in which these teams were built. You could argue, in a few instances, the impact these 5* players had on those teams. If you look at the roster breakdown of the elite players you'll find that elite programs get elite players (5* and high 4*). I know this because I follow college basketball. I'm not making this stuff up. There are a few programs that are good to great because they have a system and great coaches in place to make up for the lack of talent. However, those programs are not consistently winning power 5 conference championships and making deep runs in March.

Reactions: DG10 and tynd10
You bring up my point about stretching the truth. CMP sold Biggie on the idea of playing PF, but Biggie spent a lot of time (including most of his sophomore year) playing the 5. That's the kind of selling I want to see more of. When a recruit commits and starts playing CMP will play him wherever his best fit is on the team. It usually works out well. Carsen committed to play PG and turned out to be way better suited at the 2.
Keep in mind that while Biggie was for a significant amount of time in most games the biggest Purdue player on the floor he was not playing a traditional 5 position. He played a high post like a traditional 4 both facing and back to the basket. He also played as a stretch four going out to the arc. While he did work the low block occasionally CMP never made Biggie plant himself on the low block facing the other end for long stretches.
So yes Biggie was sometimes the big, but he was never the center on offense. I agree on Carsen although I am not aware of any promises to play point...you Hoosier troll!!!:eek::D

Keep in mind that while Biggie was for a significant amount of time in most games the biggest Purdue player on the floor he was not playing a traditional 5 position. He played a high post like a traditional 4 both facing and back to the basket. He also played as a stretch four going out to the arc. While he did work the low block occasionally CMP never made Biggie plant himself on the low block facing the other end for long stretches.
So yes Biggie was sometimes the big, but he was never the center on offense. I agree on Carsen although I am not aware of any promises to play point...you Hoosier troll!!!:eek::D
I agree with this. I don't recall any promises to Carsen either.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I'm unaware of any promise for Carsen to play point as much as his promise to try to allow him to transition more towards that position. I never saw a hint of true PG in Carsen before coming to Purdue other than his physical skills. he never played PG on his high school team. Carsen was and is a scorer and I'm sure will continue to develop more PG skills

John Wooden quotes “Be more concerned with your characterthan your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” “The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.”

...both in The Edge ;)
Purdue Dave...any chance your last name starts with a Sch and you used to TA or teach at MSU?

They're not my facts though. They're actually what has happened. I had no hand in creating them. I just know them from watching and following college basketball.

"Arizona comes to mind with 5star all American talent every single year and hasn't come close to and elite 8"

Arizona has in fact been to multiple Elite 8s in the recent past. I know this because I watched and followed college basketball. I had no involvement in creating that fact.

This statement is true. However, Kansas has reached an Elite 8 with that 5* talent. They have also won the (true round robin) Big 12 Championship for 13 years straight. I know this because I have followed college basketball. I had no involvement creating that fact.

Kentucky 2014 I believe Duke 2014 Louisville 2013, to name a few who has not been to a final 4 since

The first two, Kentucky and Duke, are false statements. Kentucky went to the Final Four in 2015 where they lost to Wisconsin. That same year Duke won a championship with several (Oakfor, Jones, and Winslow) 5* freshmen. These are facts. I know this because I watched the game. I had no involvement in creating these facts.

You can argue the means in which these teams were built. You could argue, in a few instances, the impact these 5* players had on those teams. If you look at the roster breakdown of the elite players you'll find that elite programs get elite players (5* and high 4*). I know this because I follow college basketball. I'm not making this stuff up. There are a few programs that are good to great because they have a system and great coaches in place to make up for the lack of talent. However, those programs are not consistently winning power 5 conference championships and making deep runs in March.[/QUOTE. Your point !!!!!! I explained to u I do not care what facts or research you bring to the table I simply don't care you want to debate I'm not gonna debate with you bcuz you go look it up and pull out facts still does not I have to support findings sir. You can look up so more and more facts that's on you I simply won't acknowledge it bcuz you find information on it sir. I'm ok with disagreeing with you no matter what facts or stats you pull off the internet. Have you ever played basketball or being recruited than bcuz you look it up on the internet I'm suppose to agree with your finding I don't and I won't so if you feel the need to find more facts, stats of what each of those teams did or didn't do I'm stating my position sir and I'm ok with what I no.

You can argue the means in which these teams were built. You could argue, in a few instances, the impact these 5* players had on those teams. If you look at the roster breakdown of the elite players you'll find that elite programs get elite players (5* and high 4*). I know this because I follow college basketball. I'm not making this stuff up. There are a few programs that are good to great because they have a system and great coaches in place to make up for the lack of talent. However, those programs are not consistently winning power 5 conference championships and making deep runs in March.
As I stated b4 you can find stats , facts of what each of those teams did and it still will not make me agree with your findings sir. You trying to bring home a point and I'm simply so not care what your findings are whether I was wrong or right. I told u I did not follow college basketball till 2014 when my son entered HS and that is when I stated my opinions and some facts. I'm aware of what each of those teams did but still you looking this up won't change how I feel sir. I'm ok with how I view and see things in my eyes and my eyes only and whether like it or not. My son is at purdue not Kentucky or Duke and he is just as good as some of those kids too so you need not bring this to my attention any longer. College fan or whatever you are I'm standing on my opinions is that ok with you.

I'm unaware of any promise for Carsen to play point as much as his promise to try to allow him to transition more towards that position. I never saw a hint of true PG in Carsen before coming to Purdue other than his physical skills. he never played PG on his high school team. Carsen was and is a scorer and I'm sure will continue to develop more PG skills
That seems like my recollection as well. Just like forwards and centers are becoming interchangeable, points and twos are interchangeable in this system. I for one love it.

Reactions: tjreese
you are right. I've learned a few things from my mistakes. I doubt my future posts will ever be brief. And I will always speculate. that's my nature.
Now I get it...and I mean this in the nicest possible way, Wole. For the parts of your posts that I read, it seems like you are just making things up, when in fact that is exactly what you are doing. ;)

As I stated b4 you can find stats , facts of what each of those teams did and it still will not make me agree with your findings sir. You trying to bring home a point and I'm simply so not care what your findings are whether I was wrong or right. I told u I did not follow college basketball till 2014 when my son entered HS and that is when I stated my opinions and some facts. I'm aware of what each of those teams did but still you looking this up won't change how I feel sir. I'm ok with how I view and see things in my eyes and my eyes only and whether like it or not. My son is at purdue not Kentucky or Duke and he is just as good as some of those kids too so you need not bring this to my attention any longer. College fan or whatever you are I'm standing on my opinions is that ok with you.
I'm not looking to change how you feel about other programs. I was simply disputing your opinion (?) that those programs weren't having success with 5* players.

Like every other college player that does right by his family and program, I hope your son has success in college and is able to fulfill his dream to play basketball for a living.

Sorry to inform you or your father who taught you about sales but sales is about the following:

Lessons selling:
1) Learn to sell yourself first, which means be confident and know your product, but always do it with honesty and integrity, never stretch truth or state anything but fact once trust is broken you are nothing but hot air.

2) Selling really isn't selling at all...it is listening and finding potential partners who are in need. If you try to be dishonest and force a sale, 90% of the time it is returned because their was no need.

For young sales people their is nothing wrong with answering, "Let me find out and get your the correct information", rather than making something up. Truth and facts are better than lies or "stretching of truth"

Knowing your product so you can educate your potential partners, listening or uncovering their potential needs and building trust with honesty integrity will bring you more sales in business......doesn't hurt to use those attributes in life either.

Happy Selling.......or should I say happy listening.

This is not a lecture but one tenured sales leader helping another.
Well said Chevy. For the poster who says stretching the truth is the way to go...yikes, glad I don't do business with him. I was in sales for a couple of years in my career a while back, and I was truthful 100% of the time and did very well. I am more of a listener anyway which worked out well putting myself in their shoes and determining which solutions worked best for them. The products I sold were also very technical, expensive, and needed to be reliable, so a delivery slipping by one day would cost customers over $1M. Everything had to be exact...no room for stretching. In my current job, if I stretched the truth, I would go to jail and my business would be heavily fined.

Reactions: Inspector100
I'm not looking to change how you feel about other programs. I was simply disputing your opinion (?) that those programs weren't having success with 5* players.

Like every other college player that does right by his family and program, I hope your son has success in college and is able to fulfill his dream to play basketball for a living.
Fair enough gotcha

I agree with this. I don't recall any promises to Carsen either.

he and painter talked a lot about the position & the future after his signing:

"They told me they haven't had a player like me in a while at the point guard position, a player who can score the ball as well. They said they'd like to have one and they needed a point guard to come in and compete and maybe make an impact as a freshman. I felt like that's where I should go." -edwards

“We feel in each of the last four years that we have gotten a dead-eye shooter in each class with the addition of Carsen. He gives us something that we haven’t had in a while and that is a scoring point guard. Carsen is a scorer, but he’s got big-time speed and quickness and toughness. He is a person of value when on the court.” -painter

Well said Chevy. For the poster who says stretching the truth is the way to go...yikes, glad I don't do business with him. I was in sales for a couple of years in my career a while back, and I was truthful 100% of the time and did very well. I am more of a listener anyway which worked out well putting myself in their shoes and determining which solutions worked best for them. The products I sold were also very technical, expensive, and needed to be reliable, so a delivery slipping by one day would cost customers over $1M. Everything had to be exact...no room for stretching. In my current job, if I stretched the truth, I would go to jail and my business would be heavily fined.
If the situation called for being precise I would obviously be precise. I work for a software company. When companies buy our software they need it heavily modded to fit their needs. The deadlines I was speaking of come from these mods. It costs the clients $0 to push Go-Live a week or two if necessary. As I have stated, my company has never had complaints with this as our sales plan. It works. My company is happy, the clients are happy, and I am happy. It's all good.

Please don't take this as me picking on you, but this is misinformation. (See bold above)

Arizona: Elite 8 (2011, 2014, 2015) Sweet 16 (2013)
Kansas: Title (2008) Runner up (2012) Elite 8 (2016) Eleventy Billion Straight Big 12 titles
Kentucky: Title (2012), Runner up (2014) Final Four (2015)
Duke: Title (2010, 2015) Elite 8 (2013)
Louisville: Title (2013) Final Four (2012) Elite 8 (2015)

Who is getting all the 5 star players and who is getting results? For every Wasington, LSU, soon to be Mizzou there is a program getting results with those 5* recruits. It's not a big secret that talent rules the day in college basketball at the highest level. Any program in the Big Team would be drooling for that kind of success.

I enjoy your perspective as a parent who has gone through the recruiting process. Your knowledge in that particular are is unmatched by almost everyone on these boards. However, at the end of the day facts prove that these elite programs recruit elite players to pair with elite coaching for elite results. Outside of MSU, and Michigan for a few years, the Big Ten hasn't touched that in the recent past. It very well could change in the near future with programs like Purdue on the rise and a few other making coaching changes hoping to climb the ladder.

i think there may be a mix of different aspects that have led to the arguments here.
when looking at a broader picture, it reveals the importance of several things.

recruit rankings & individual success:

most of the highly recruited players have aspirations of being drafted and earning that pro paycheck.
recruit rankings have provided good indications at who will be drafted.
over nearly a decade period:
-5 stars: 63% drafted
-4 stars: 15%
-3 stars: 3%
-less than 3 star: 0.4%
(and even within the 3 star category... named in the top 150 = 7.5% drafted, outside the top 150 = 1.6%).

recruit rankings & team success:
a team's success can be enhanced by the higher rated players (who end up pros), but also by their experience level.
over nearly the same recent time frame (8years thru 2014), the info was:

-average recruit rankings of the starters on the championship team:
10, 21, 26, 29, 33, 38, 66, 70.

-class of the leading scorer of the championship team:
Fr - 1 team,
Jr - 4 teams,
Sr - 3 teams.

-only 6 of the final four teams had more than 1 one-and-done freshman (most of those calipari's)

Reactions: B1GBBFan
i think there may be a mix of different aspects that have led to the arguments here.
when looking at a broader picture, it reveals the importance of several things.

recruit rankings & individual success:

most of the highly recruited players have aspirations of being drafted and earning that pro paycheck.
recruit rankings have provided good indications at who will be drafted.
over nearly a decade period:
-5 stars: 63% drafted
-4 stars: 15%
-3 stars: 3%
-less than 3 star: 0.4%
(and even within the 3 star category... named in the top 150 = 7.5% drafted, outside the top 150 = 1.6%).

recruit rankings & team success:
a team's success can be enhanced by the higher rated players (who end up pros), but also by their experience level.
over nearly the same recent time frame (8years thru 2014), the info was:

-average recruit rankings of the starters on the championship team:
10, 21, 26, 29, 33, 38, 66, 70.

-class of the leading scorer of the championship team:
Fr - 1 team,
Jr - 4 teams,
Sr - 3 teams.

-only 6 of the final four teams had more than 1 one-and-done freshman (most of those calipari's)
That's a good break down. Out of curiosity I looked up our starters this year for their average recruit ranking. It came out to be 196.

Reactions: BoilerBabyGirl
he and painter talked a lot about the position & the future after his signing:

"They told me they haven't had a player like me in a while at the point guard position, a player who can score the ball as well. They said they'd like to have one and they needed a point guard to come in and compete and maybe make an impact as a freshman. I felt like that's where I should go." -edwards

“We feel in each of the last four years that we have gotten a dead-eye shooter in each class with the addition of Carsen. He gives us something that we haven’t had in a while and that is a scoring point guard. Carsen is a scorer, but he’s got big-time speed and quickness and toughness. He is a person of value when on the court.” -painter
I guess I either forgot that or never read it... :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT