ADVERTISEMENT

Painter at Center Grove this morning

a point above was touched on, but not discussed thoroughly.

Plan A. Did I understand you to say some coaches have a system and plug in players who fit that system? Painter, Izzo.

Plan B. While others are great at recruiting and bring a bunch of 5 star athletes in and let the boys figure it out much like AAU basketball? and don't really do much coaching or teaching or developing players because they know they'll be gone in a year. So they leave the coaching and development to the pros? and the play calling to the players. Pitino, Callipari.

Plan C. And a third type of coach who adjusts his system each year to the players he signs ? Coach K, Self.

I see certain flaws in the first two. Plan A works well if you have players who buy into your system, and if the system is actually a good one.

Plan B works great if you have a 5* player who is your floor general and coach on the floor much like LeBron. With a guy like LeBron, all you really need to do is add talent, and let him do the rest.

Plan C would be hard to accomplish, because you are going to have returning players. And it will be hard to transition from one year to another system the next year taking advantage of those new talents.

Hmm not in today's society. North Carolina has been dishonest a couple decades and they just won a championship.
fair point...wasn't thinking grades but coaches telling players things differerent than reality. I'm not sure that has happened

fair point...wasn't thinking grades but coaches telling players things differerent than reality. I'm not sure that has happened

With 'ol Roy? Nah....

roy-williams-hula.jpg

Saw this today: "Convicted rapist sues, granted temporary order that bars Youngstown State from banning him from playing in games".

He raped her while she was passed out and took pictures of her naked body and spread them around school. I'm sorry but Wooden's noble conservative ideas don't benefit you in today's liberal society. That's why the hurricanes come, Jennifer

I knew a family whose mother taught her kids the fine art of shoplifting. She taught them to run if spotted, and lie if caught. They were proud of their momma, too.

Just because you learned it from your dad doesn't make it virtuous. In my long career, if I found that a salesman "stretched the truth" in dealing with me, trust was destroyed and my company was no longer a customer for him and the company he worked for. The same goes with my home life. If you are intentionally "stretching the truth", then your intent is to deceive. That is lying, plain and simple.
If it makes you feel better to compare me to shop lifter, then so be it. It doesn't hurt me in the least.

I came here to talk Purdue basketball. Yes, I believe Purdue could/should be better at recruiting, and landing plan A guys. I believe the plan A guys would set Purdue up to win a championship in the future. West Lafayette is not a bad city. Purdue does not have a bad basketball history. CMP is a good coach. There is a reason the plan A guys don't pick here in higher numbers. It's obvious that my opinion on recruiting is not welcome on this site. I will give my input less in the future as to not have more threads like these. Boiler Up.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Great guy great coach glad my son got to be coached by him. He is what you called married to basketball but got my son prepared for college that is for sure. Truly the best 4 years my son had being coached by mike
I'm delighted to hear that, although I am not surprised in the least to hear it. It was a great opportunity for him so I am glad for him but now that my grandson is playing at Mike's former school I regret his choice more than previously.
FWIW former Boiler Mike Robinson graduated from the school.
Wishing you and those close to you an enjoyable, exciting and rewarding time as Boiler faithfuls.

Reactions: BBG and tjreese
If it makes you feel better to compare me to shop lifter, then so be it. It doesn't hurt me in the least.

I came here to talk Purdue basketball. Yes, I believe Purdue could/should be better at recruiting, and landing plan A guys. I believe the plan A guys would set Purdue up to win a championship in the future. West Lafayette is not a bad city. Purdue does not have a bad basketball history. CMP is a good coach. There is a reason the plan A guys don't pick here in higher numbers. It's obvious that my opinion on recruiting is not welcome on this site. I will give my input less in the future as to not have more threads like these. Boiler Up.
Id just keep posting how you want that's what i do and really don't give a crap if the resident peanut gallery doesn't agree. Besides, in reality those people aren't the majority of actual purdue fans. It's about 5-10 circle jerkers on this site who can't handle a different opinion.

You are and idiot sir a down right A hope of a man who thinks he knows everything that comes out of your mouth on this board. You are absolutely wrong if you think Matt painter would compromise his name to accommodate a 5 star player you out of you mind. Maybe other schools would do that which Is why some won't bother to come to purdue Because he isn't promising these so called star status players NOTHING. You a down right idiot if you believe that SIR. You need to find a life because it's one thing to come a message board and give your opinion or even have a debate but you hide behind a keyboard say things that makes you look more miserable as I thought you were. my son may not have a status behind his name bcuz I have never ever concerned myself with man made rankings neither has my son but only concerned myself as well as my son to him putting work in the gym to get better and he has since the 4th grade. He better player than many many so call 5 star players I no this I was in the gym when he played against many of those kids at Duke Kentucky Louisville Kansas etc all at the USA tryouts and on the EYBL circuit and he did his thang against many of them. He's being look at as we speak by pro scouts sir he is that good. Stop your negative rant you now look very silly with your negative remarks. get a life
I recommend that you no longer reply to 1973

Reactions: tynd10
You are and idiot sir a down right A hope of a man who thinks he knows everything that comes out of your mouth on this board. You are absolutely wrong if you think Matt painter would compromise his name to accommodate a 5 star player you out of you mind. Maybe other schools would do that which Is why some won't bother to come to purdue Because he isn't promising these so called star status players NOTHING. You a down right idiot if you believe that SIR. You need to find a life because it's one thing to come a message board and give your opinion or even have a debate but you hide behind a keyboard say things that makes you look more miserable as I thought you were. my son may not have a status behind his name bcuz I have never ever concerned myself with man made rankings neither has my son but only concerned myself as well as my son to him putting work in the gym to get better and he has since the 4th grade. He better player than many many so call 5 star players I no this I was in the gym when he played against many of those kids at Duke Kentucky Louisville Kansas etc all at the USA tryouts and on the EYBL circuit and he did his thang against many of them. He's being look at as we speak by pro scouts sir he is that good. Stop your negative rant you now look very silly with your negative remarks. get a life

I tend to agree with you but are you sure that you want to continue to read his posts?
Ma'am, I'm not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do but I'm not sure if you are aware that you can set your preferences to have particular posters not appear on threads you read. If you decide that you don't want to read someone's post, simply tap on their name and when their information then comes up you select the "Ignore" indicator.
Certainly, it's up to you, but since you're new I wanted to be sure that you are aware of the option.

Plan A. Did I understand you to say some coaches have a system and plug in players who fit that system? Painter, Izzo.

Plan B. While others are great at recruiting and bring a bunch of 5 star athletes in and let the boys figure it out much like AAU basketball? and don't really do much coaching or teaching or developing players because they know they'll be gone in a year. So they leave the coaching and development to the pros? and the play calling to the players. Pitino, Callipari.

Plan C. And a third type of coach who adjusts his system each year to the players he signs ? Coach K, Self.

I see certain flaws in the first two. Plan A works well if you have players who buy into your system, and if the system is actually a good one.

Plan B works great if you have a 5* player who is your floor general and coach on the floor much like LeBron. With a guy like LeBron, all you really need to do is add talent, and let him do the rest.

Plan C would be hard to accomplish, because you are going to have returning players. And it will be hard to transition from one year to another system the next year taking advantage of those new talents.
Good assessment on several college coaches. I'd put Pitino into Plan A. I believe he's only had one OAD player, this past season. He employs a pressure defense with athletes and generally recruits the same type of guards and bigs.

I tend to agree with you but are you sure that you want to continue to read his posts?
Ma'am, I'm not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do but I'm not sure if you are aware that you can set your preferences to have particular posters not appear on threads you read. If you decide that you don't want to read someone's post, simply tap on their name and when their information then comes up you select the "Ignore" indicator.
Certainly, it's up to you, but since you're new I wanted to be sure that you are aware of the option.
Thanks for sharing that information and I will take that into account. But he gives me great pleasure to respond to his silly messages. I lost it a bit but I'm good now. He wants attention I'll give it to him. Thanks Again for reaching out and sharing information and I still might do what you suggest anyway. Have a great evening

Tom Izzo is a stand up guy who hates social media. I got to see a different side of Izzo when my son and i took our official visit to Mich state when we were going through this process. Trust me when I tell you a lot of crooked things going on in recruiting I've seen it some tried to come at me with it but u get caught doing it you loose out in the end. Izzo good guy and so is painter both do things the right way.

Thank you for confirming this. Izzo, rather we like him or not is a HOF coach that Painter one day hoped to be. We don't like him cus he get a lot of our recruits that we wants. I would take him anytime if he ever want to come to Purdue.

Yes, one game suspension. Izzo Cheeted.

with purdue recruits also having michigan state among 'final' school choices,
it's interesting to see the difference in perceptions/concerns that have been discussed before about izzo/msu (whether it is cheating, player arrests, etc)

Actually I don't make things up. I do sometimes make mistakes. And I'm terrible with names and dates. I've just lived a very extraordinary life that most people would never believe could possibly happen. I realize there are many people who doubt my words. My military record is most likely a matter of public record. PMO has a recording of me singing Sweet Little Jesus Boy at a PMO Christmas Show. you can find my son's bio at the SIU track page. You can sniff my Coach K autographed shoe. You can see me among the fans as part of Clifford Alexander's AAU highlight reel. My son was the Illinois Bear he dunked on. My wife is an optometrist and graduated from Eye U (the Indiana University posters probably know where Eye U is) and when not posting tonight, I was at a Church financial meeting, a sea scout committee meeting, and a Lions Club meeting. and there are 19 cases of Pepsi products in my car to be sold at an upcoming haunted hayride. There are two U.S,. flags that are prominently displayed in my house. One that flew over Iraq, and one that flew over Afghanistan. And in 8th grade I made 2 of 2 Ft attempts for a 100% Ft percentage. In high school, I played church league basketball with former Twins GM Terri Ryan, and was a friend to Sen Fiengold's sister who is now a female Jewish Rabbi. I made two federal budget proposals that were fully funded. it's in a freedom of information act file. and I live in the same community as SI Boiler, although he'd never admit on this board that he actually knows me.

I pale in comparison to my brother's accomplishments . He's a state of Wisconsin and US National Special Olympics coach for over 30+ years. He knows the meaning of champions.

and if you want to shorten my name, I prefer you use the other 3 letters and call me by what most people call me: BIGs !

Can we add you to that post on the football board about why Missouri shouldn't be ashamed of losing to Purdue later today?

All kidding aside, although a very big humble brag (says the guy who humble bragged his near perfect SAT English portion back in 2002)...you sound like an interesting dude and one I would enjoy having a brew with. Also know SIBoiler from his years of posting...good dude.

How did you derive what coaches fit where? I see that Matt had to play small ball with lewjack, smith, byrd, hummel and...and then play big with AJ, Haas. I see Huggie Bear going to all out full court pressure versus half court D over the years. Where do we get the idea that some coaches don't adjust to the talent they have? How many schools really get the pick of the litter...get the media support?

All these coaches recruit the best players available that can mix into their culture and into the school...and into the location...and...

I just don't see Self and K adjusting anymore than others. The only real "change" I've seen in 30 years was Loyola Marymount...where they just tried to outscore the opposition. The rest just adjust to the talent they have

Can we add you to that post on the football board about why Missouri shouldn't be ashamed of losing to Purdue later today?

All kidding aside, although a very big humble brag (says the guy who humble bragged his near perfect SAT English portion back in 2002)...you sound like an interesting dude and one I would enjoy having a brew with. Also know SIBoiler from his years of posting...good dude.
I suspect most people here would be decent to chat with over a beer (well, except the teetotalers). While I am 99% convinced 73 is an IU fan trolling our fellow Boilers, in real life I bet he'd be civil and you could congenially converse with him. Something about the interwebs brings out the a-hole in people (we are all guilty to some extent, think about how you act when a driver follows too closely or cuts you off, you respond angrily in a way you otherwise likely wouldn't standing next to someone). As far as blocking people, only the pedantic and imho unhinged and thoroughly over the top Illuminutty guy has earned that distinction from me. OK, time for me to get off my soapbox ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: tynd10
How did you derive what coaches fit where? I see that Matt had to play small ball with lewjack, smith, byrd, hummel and...and then play big with AJ, Haas. I see Huggie Bear going to all out full court pressure versus half court D over the years. Where do we get the idea that some coaches don't adjust to the talent they have? How many schools really get the pick of the litter...get the media support?

All these coaches recruit the best players available that can mix into their culture and into the school...and into the location...and...

I just don't see Self and K adjusting anymore than others. The only real "change" I've seen in 30 years was Loyola Marymount...where they just tried to outscore the opposition. The rest just adjust to the talent they have
Yep. We have a perfect opportunity to see the transition happen right here at Purdue starting this season and into the next season. We are
moving from a traditional center dominated offense to a higher mobility stretched 4/5 offense.
I also think that because we are doing it without becoming small (actually looks like the average height increases), I think we are going to be a better defensive team in a couple years.

Reactions: tjreese
I suspect most people here would be decent to chat with over a beer (well, except the teetotalers). While I am 99% convinced 73 is an IU fan trolling our fellow Boilers, in real life I bet he'd be civil and you could congenially converse with him. Something about the interwebs brings out the a-hole in people (we are all guilty to some extent, think about how you act when a driver follows to closely or cuts you off, you respond angrily in a way you otherwise likely wouldn't standing next to someone). As far as blocking people, only the pedantic and imho unhinged and thoroughly over the top Illuminutty guy has earned that distinction from me. OK, time for me to get off my soapbox ;)

Teetotalers can be fun people. At Purdue, I went to a lot of frat parties, and never drank. But because of my sparkling personality, everybody thought I was bombed out of my mind.

Recruit, troll, integrity, cheaters, quotes, troll, chest thumping, integrity, quotes, refreshing POV from mom, integrity, my dads better than your dad, troll, quotes, integrity, cheaters, poster blocking.
Too funny! But sums it up nicely.

Recruit, troll, integrity, cheaters, quotes, troll, chest thumping, integrity, quotes, refreshing POV from mom, integrity, my dads better than your dad, troll, quotes, integrity, cheaters, poster blocking.
You just summed up just about every thread on here. Bravo and the only thing missing is a post from me with a drink recipe ;)

Thanks for sharing that information and I will take that into account. But he gives me great pleasure to respond to his silly messages. I lost it a bit but I'm good now. He wants attention I'll give it to him. Thanks Again for reaching out and sharing information and I still might do what you suggest anyway. Have a great evening
Personally, I haven't ever put anyone on ignore. Depending on my mood, I may or may not read certain posters.
Happy to have you here, and, of course your son, as if that needs any mentioning.

SAT scores today intrigue me. When I graduated way back in 1970 from that academic powerhouse of Benton Central my math and verbal combined was in the 1480-1500 range and I wasn't in the top 10 in my class. Of course we had been raised in a non-PC world where classroom competition, math and spelling contests were encouraged.

Doing it the Loyola Marymount way is exciting but sooner or later you have play D to win championships. For exhibit B I give you the Phoenix Suns.

SAT scores today intrigue me. When I graduated way back in 1970 from that academic powerhouse of Benton Central my math and verbal combined was in the 1480-1500 range and I wasn't in the top 10 in my class. Of course we had been raised in a non-PC world where classroom competition, math and spelling contests were encouraged.
OMG, another life that was forever shaped by Dale Butcher.

"Painter at Center Grove this morning"?

Glad we've moved on to more vital things.

Reactions: dwhitebash11
OMG, another life that was forever shaped by Dale Butcher.
Dale was just a pup in those days. I had little contact with him as we came together those first two years. He's now spearheading a celebration of the first 50 years at BC. Had a series of TED talks a week ago. Facebook can be a pain but it does keep you in touch with your past from afar.

any chance you may have known a Glen Musser? I'm not sure if he was Benton Central or not. Where did Earl Park residents go to school. His wife was a Connie Gordon from Earl Park.

any chance you may have known a Glen Musser? I'm not sure if he was Benton Central or not. Where did Earl Park residents go to school. His wife was a Connie Gordon from Earl Park.
Glen and his 11 brothers went to Otterbein, then BC ... great family, best farm Mom in the world ... well, there were some ties LOL

Glen and his 11 brothers went to Otterbein, then BC ... great family, best farm Mom in the world ... well, there were some ties LOL
I haven't seen him in 40 years. Did run into Connie at Purdue for lunch many years ago ... Connie lived at Meredith her freshman year ...

I read your posts and I know why you came here. You have made yourself clear. You stated that Painter should lie to get a teenager to get him to commit to play for him. And you think your upbringing justifies it.

And on your faux outrage of being compared to a shoplifter, I will tell you that many people consider a salesman who lies to get their money (a sale) to be a swindler and a thief.

Mussers were Otterency people before BC. Actually Otterency was BC for two years before the final consolidation in 1968. Earl Park was absorbed by Fowler in '64 then Fowler into BC in '70.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT