ADVERTISEMENT

OT: league competition

Heads up BOILER

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2021
I watched the Hoosier hysteria scrimmage. I did not see a top level team that they have been projected to be. I was not impressed. Offense was fairly stagnant with the usual Woodson offensive look.

Limited feedback seen after the Illini played, and have seen no film.

I watched the Hoosier hysteria scrimmage. I did not see a top level team that they have been projected to be. I was not impressed. Offense was fairly stagnant with the usual Woodson offensive look.

Illini, according to their fans, are a F4 team with best passer (Jakucionis) and player (Riley) and shooter (humrichous) and best big man (ivisic — who isn’t eligible yet).

It's a team that's been playing together for like 2 months and missing a couple guys. Will learn a little bit more on Sunday. But probably not much.

Still can’t shoot
“The scrimmage won’t do anything to quiet concerns over the team’s 3-point shooting potential. Goode hit back-to-back 3-pointers early in the game, but neither team hit another 3-pointer until the final minute.”

🧐

Seems like your assessment would be correct.

“The scrimmage won’t do anything to quiet concerns over the team’s 3-point shooting potential. Goode hit back-to-back 3-pointers early in the game, but neither team hit another 3-pointer until the final minute.”

🧐

Seems like your assessment would be correct.
Yeah, I checked it out. Goode will come off the bench most likely which is probably a mistake.

Galloway was the biggest. He doesn't help the shooting any, unless he returns to his junior year but he's still a 5th year guy. and then Newton was out. Not sure what minutes he sees anyways but just interested in seeing him play finally and getting healthy.
Meh doesn’t really move the needle either way. Newton won’t see many mins at all this year and won’t be up to the speed of the game yet. He’s still at least a year out. Galloway…maybe he will win something worthwhile this year?

Meh doesn’t really move the needle either way. Newton won’t see many mins at all this year and won’t be up to the speed of the game yet. He’s still at least a year out. Galloway…maybe he will win something worthwhile this year?
I don't know. But Galloway helps if there are other ball handlers on the court with him. Problem with last year, he became a primary ball handler. His junior year TJD and Hood-Schfino were ahead of him. So the hope is that having Rice and Carlyle will be a positive for him. He's a better slasher and driving off the ball swinging around the perimeter.

Yeah, I checked it out. Goode will come off the bench most likely which is probably a mistake.
Goode shot 4 threes a game last year at UofI, making 1.6 on average.

IU as a team shot 5/15.5 a game on average compared to 8.5/23.9 a game by UofI from 3. If Woody doesn’t incorporate the 3 more into the offense, I don’t see how Goode will get 4 attempts per game.

I don't know. But Galloway helps if there are other ball handlers on the court with him. Problem with last year, he became a primary ball handler. His junior year TJD and Hood-Schfino were ahead of him. So the hope is that having Rice and Carlyle will be a positive for him. He's a better slasher and driving off the ball swinging around the perimeter.
He going to start over Tucker?

He going to start over Tucker?
I'm not sure Galloway starts at all. Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, Reneau and Ballo were the starters for HH. 2nd team played pretty well with Cupps, Leal, Goode, Tucker and Hatton. I think that had more to do with having 3 5fh year guys in Leal, Goode and Hatton. They just played better team ball and hustled.

He's not a starter level player in the B1G IMO, but he can shoot well. And they have 3 highly paid (and likely promised PT) in front of him + Galloway and Mgbako. I just don't see how he gets on the court often enough for his shooting to make much of a difference. Nor will Woody design plays to get him a good look.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
He's not a starter level player in the B1G IMO, but he can shoot well. And they have 3 highly paid (and likely promised PT) in front of him + Galloway and Mgbako. I just don't see how he gets on the court often enough for his shooting to make much of a difference. Nor will Woody design plays to get him a good look.
Woody says he will look at playing Mgbako and Goode at the 4. Meaning he never will.

I'm not sure Galloway starts at all. Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, Reneau and Ballo were the starters for HH. 2nd team played pretty well with Cupps, Leal, Goode, Tucker and Hatton. I think that had more to do with having 3 5fh year guys in Leal, Goode and Hatton. They just played better team ball and hustled.
Second team played well with that lineup?? Is that not a bit concerning? How can that lineup compete with the first team?

I remember the IU board last year said Cupps and the second team were beating the first team and they thought that was a good thing lol

Second team played well with that lineup?? Is that not a bit concerning? How can that lineup compete with the first team?

I remember the IU board last year said Cupps and the second team were beating the first team and they thought that was a good thing lol
They just looked more cohesive. No surprise. No clue what things will look like when the actual season starts. There wasn't much to take from the scrimmage other than the bench guys tried harder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT