ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: is harbaugh on the hot seat

Summy1

Junior
Jun 17, 2015
Michigan beats the lower teams but can't beat the top teams. What are Michigan fans saying? Will he be on the hot seat if this is an average season for Michigan?

Michigan beats the lower teams but can't beat the top teams. What are Michigan fans saying? Will he be on the hot seat if this is an average season for Michigan?[/QUOTE
Fire him. Harbaugh will realize he will be better off to move on and will jump to another HC opportunity somewhere else.

Michigan beats the lower teams but can't beat the top teams. What are Michigan fans saying? Will he be on the hot seat if this is an average season for Michigan?
If he loses to both MSU and OSU this year and drops a bad one to IU, Rutgers, or Maryland...you could see UM and Harbaugh get the ‘Zook Treatment’ and fire his entire staff. That usually doesn’t work and is a sign of panic.

If the offense doesn’t look right, at the very least, that entire side of the ball is gone and I suspect UM goes after a young OC to boost the offense for 2019 (Maybe Tee Martin?)

Reactions: Frankie611
If they lose to nd, osu, PSU, and msu maybe. It would leave them at risk of being labeled a has been like what Nebraska is going through. I bet he gets another year though unless they have a complete disaster year and lose program momentum.

Reactions: rgarlitz
If he loses to both MSU and OSU this year and drops a bad one to IU, Rutgers, or Maryland...you could see UM and Harbaugh get the ‘Zook Treatment’ and fire his entire staff. That usually doesn’t work and is a sign of panic.

If the offense doesn’t look right, at the very least, that entire side of the ball is gone and I suspect UM goes after a young OC to boost the offense for 2019 (Maybe Tee Martin?)
They just got a new OC this offseason

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I agree with most of the above.

Harbaugh is a Michigan man who has had success everywhere he's been. Plus, the university is heavily invested in him. I think he's on a long leash.

Now, things will no doubt get testy if Michigan loses 5 games and has another middling B1G East finish.

Reactions: Mullah
Wonder what his buyout would cost $$$
USA Today reported that in April of 2018, Harbaugh’s total buyout would have been $20.5 million.

Brohm’s buyout as of April 2018 was $15.8 million, just behind Illinois’ Lovie Smith. That places Brohm as the 13th highest buyout in the country.

What I found interesting is that Purdue has the 38th largest pool for assistant coaches. My guess is that goes up and the success continues and Bobinski wants to keep the coaches in tact.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Last edited:

What's an "average season for Michigan"? Last year was a disappointing year and they won 8 regular season games.

The previous 2 seasons they had 10 win seasons (one being 10 regular season wins). He's also a Michigan alum. 8 regular season wins was Hoke's 2nd best year and Rich Rod never got 8 wins at Michigan.

He'll need to do something worse to find himself there that quickly.

Reactions: cidsports
What's an "average season for Michigan"? Last year was a disappointing year and they won 8 regular season games.

The previous 2 seasons they had 10 win seasons (one being 10 regular season wins). He's also a Michigan alum. 8 regular season wins was Hoke's 2nd best year and Rich Rod never got 8 wins at Michigan.

He'll need to do something worse to find himself there that quickly.
So far, Harbaugh is 1-5 vs. OSU and Michigan State. That kind of record is what could get him fired. Michigan has fired other coaches for not beating OSU and losing to Sparty never goes over well in Ann Arbor.

Reactions: SKYDOG and rgarlitz
The playoff has changed things. At programs like Michigan the expectations are all about the CFP now. This is why coaches like Harbaugh want it expanded. Another season without a CFP appearance and a loss to OSU, and his seat will be warm. Buyouts are about as irrelevant at Michigan as 10 win seasons.

Reactions: SKYDOG and rgarlitz
So far, Harbaugh is 1-5 vs. OSU and Michigan State. That kind of record is what could get him fired. Michigan has fired other coaches for not beating OSU and losing to Sparty never goes over well in Ann Arbor.

That's a good point SDBoiler1. But Jim Harbaugh isn't an ordinary coach. My sense is that it would be an enormous blow to the Michigan brand if he doesn't work out. That's why I think the administration will give him every possible chance. We'll see.

Reactions: SKYDOG
The playoff has changed things. At programs like Michigan the expectations are all about the CFP now. This is why coaches like Harbaugh want it expanded. Another season without a CFP appearance and a loss to OSU, and his seat will be warm. Buyouts are about as irrelevant at Michigan as 10 win seasons.

And, of course, the success that OSU has enjoyed over the past 15 or so years--both in the B1G and nationally. Until Michigan can break the OSU mystique they're going to be second fiddle.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
And, of course, the success that OSU has enjoyed over the past 15 or so years--both in the B1G and nationally. Until Michigan can break the OSU mystique they're going to be second fiddle.
Don't discredit Whisky in that idea. UM plays third fiddle to OSU and Whisky right now in terms of success.

Exactly right. Harbaugh was brought in to take on Urban and beat Urban, regularly. So far he’s failed miserably and he has a boring offensive team that many UM fans find revolting.

I expect that UM will begin to turn the corner soon.

QB: They have had some really bad luck at the QB position. OKorn wasn't very consistent and looked bad under pressure. And then they had injuries to deal with. They have a transfer in Shea patterson, a former 5 star whom should be very good and Brandon Peters didn't look too bad in brief stints last year. It seems that their future is much brighter at the QB position than their recent past. With the surrounding cast that they have, a good QB should look no less than stellar.

In other areas, they have recruited well across the board and have a really strong defense.

They could get 10 wins.

I believe Michigan is a top team, but how long can a coach at Michigan go constantly getting an 8-4 record? To me, beating MSU is a must win. and at Michigan, they expect to play in a significant Bowl game. to do so, the y need to actually beat significant teams like PUS, UW, MSU, ND, and OSU. While it was nice for Purdue to play in a bowl game last year, for Michigan fans, I believe they would have been embarrassed to see their long heralded team participate in that caliber of a bowl game. Even playing in the outback bowl would be a huge disappointment for Michigan fans. Harbaugh is quickly proving to be no better than Notre Dame's last 4 coaches.

A huge cost. a storied program , great recruits, a tremendous academic program. mediocre results.

Reactions: 72Boiler
Look for Harbaugh to sink or swim this season. He knows the score with the fans and alumna and if he cannot get it done, he find an exit plan that suits him.

Look for Harbaugh to sink or swim this season. He knows the score with the fans and alumna and if he cannot get it done, he find an exit plan that suits him.

That's an interesting side of the question I hadn't thought about, Milwaukee. Will Harbaugh look for his own way out if he can't get Michigan over the hump in the next couple seasons?

On the one hand, he hasn't been one to put down roots having never held a head coaching gig for more than four years. He's always called his own shots when it came time to move on. But, on the other hand, it's hard to see how leaving Michigan with a (comparatively) middling record would vault him into another marquee job. And, he seems to be a guy driven by ego.

That's an interesting side of the question I hadn't thought about, Milwaukee. Will Harbaugh look for his own way out if he can't get Michigan over the hump in the next couple seasons?

On the one hand, he hasn't been one to put down roots having never held a head coaching gig for more than four years. He's always called his own shots when it came time to move on. But, on the other hand, it's hard to see how leaving Michigan with a (comparatively) middling record would vault him into another marquee job. And, he seems to be a guy driven by ego.
There are NFL teams who would take a chance on him.

I was thinking there is always a school like LSU, Texas, Ok, USC, Notre Dame, Auburn, Texas A&M that would overpay to hire him.

Unlike Purdue and Brohm, Michigan is not a stepping stone job for Harbaugh. It's at the top of the college coaching gigs. and once, you're at the top, like baseball managers, schools tend to recycle old coaches. Maybe he will get a job at FOX or ESPN for 1-2 years and weigh his offers like Gruden.

Keady had several jobs after Purdue forced him to retire.

I won't feel sorry for him if he's fired. he has a very nice $$$$$ parachute.

Coming in Most people thought he would be at Michigan at most 5 years and poof gone.

Now is he on the long term track?
I hope he stays.
He's nuts.
Plus I want Brohm to beat Michigan and Hardblow.

He is their guy.
So, they are loyal to him.

Reactions: SKYDOG

That may be true, but not very prudent and ethical.

Change for the sake of change didn't do much for them post-Lloyd Carr.

He probably gets another year unless this year is a complete bust - .500 or worse. I suspect there are plenty of UM backers who are silently wishing he moves on by his own choice.

I expect that UM will begin to turn the corner soon.

QB: They have had some really bad luck at the QB position. OKorn wasn't very consistent and looked bad under pressure. And then they had injuries to deal with. They have a transfer in Shea patterson, a former 5 star whom should be very good and Brandon Peters didn't look too bad in brief stints last year. It seems that their future is much brighter at the QB position than their recent past. With the surrounding cast that they have, a good QB should look no less than stellar.

In other areas, they have recruited well across the board and have a really strong defense.

They could get 10 wins.

As much as everyone (including the pundits) wants to focus on the QB position, which definitely needs to improve, UM's biggest issue has been the offensive line. Their tackles have been downright atrocious the last 2 or 3 seasons. The D is good enough to keep them in games and Shea Patterson might be awarded UM's annual "September Heisman" award (see Denard Robinson, Devin Gardner, Tate Forcier, Sam McGuffie, etc), but if the OL hasn't improved they will falter in the meat of their schedule.

As much as everyone (including the pundits) wants to focus on the QB position, which definitely needs to improve, UM's biggest issue has been the offensive line. Their tackles have been downright atrocious the last 2 or 3 seasons. The D is good enough to keep them in games and Shea Patterson might be awarded UM's annual "September Heisman" award (see Denard Robinson, Devin Gardner, Tate Forcier, Sam McGuffie, etc), but if the OL hasn't improved they will falter in the meat of their schedule.
...also, Shea Patterson has never taken a snap under center before. He is used to running a spread / single read offense at Ole Miss. I'm interested to see whether Harbaugh adjusts the offense for the sake of his QB or if he continues to run his pro style attack, which will force Shea to learn how to read defenses, go through progressions, etc.

...also, Shea Patterson has never taken a snap under center before. He is used to running a spread / single read offense at Ole Miss. I'm interested to see whether Harbaugh adjusts the offense for the sake of his QB or if he continues to run his pro style attack, which will force Shea to learn how to read defenses, go through progressions, etc.
Their OC left this year and as far as I can tell UM never hired an official OC to replace him. They have a run game coordinator and a pass game coordinator call plays, which I think is screwy, but we are talking about Harbaugh here. Some people think that Harbaugh will be his own OC - he will make the final call on plays.

Their OC left this year and as far as I can tell UM never hired an official OC to replace him. They have a run game coordinator and a pass game coordinator call plays, which I think is screwy, but we are talking about Harbaugh here. Some people think that Harbaugh will be his own OC - he will make the final call on plays.

It is extremely screwy, which is why they were running play action passes and toss sweeps on 3rd and long situations last year. Nobody seems to be in charge of the offense, but all of the calls go through Harbaugh's headset. From what I'm told, Pep Hamilton was calling the passing plays last year and Drevno was calling the running plays...obviously that formula didn't work very well.

It is extremely screwy, which is why they were running play action passes and toss sweeps on 3rd and long situations last year. Nobody seems to be in charge of the offense, but all of the calls go through Harbaugh's headset. From what I'm told, Pep Hamilton was calling the passing plays last year and Drevno was calling the running plays...obviously that formula didn't work very well.
And both of those guys are gone now. Truth be told, that’s probably a good thing for UM. Their offense was typically putrid and their D kept them in games or won games.

And both of those guys are gone now. Truth be told, that’s probably a good thing for UM. Their offense was typically putrid and their D kept them in games or won games.

Only Drevno is gone. Pep Hamiton is still there. They now have Jim McElwain (supposedly WR coach)

Hot seat? Come on. Michigan only lost on Saturday night because Notre Dame's student hospital and visiting locker room are both even worse than ours!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT