ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Are the buzzards starting to circle in Columbus?

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
I can't see the threads there, but just going on some of the titles (and teaser top lines), is the seat starting to get warm for Day? The new reality of teams going full in on NIL and the portal: You can't lose.

EVER.

He has to be feeling the heat after losing to Michigan three straight years. I’m unsure if the benefactors in Columbus are as stupid as those at Texas A&M and will spend the money required to buy him out.

It’s hard to win a bowl game when your starting QB and WR decide not to play. And the QB you practiced with for the last 2 weeks injures himself in the first quarter.

I believe a lot will be decided in the next 2-3 years based on their performance against USC, Washington and Oregon.

Reactions: pboiler18
Didn’t OSU lose starting QB due to him not playing because of in Portal? That’s what kills most teams, and when backup went down, they had no offense, can’t put a lot of blame on coach, more like the transfer rules now, plus Harrison was out,

Reactions: rgarlitz
Didn’t OSU lose starting QB due to him not playing because of in Portal? That’s what kills most teams, and when backup went down, they had no offense, can’t put a lot of blame on coach, more like the transfer rules now, plus Harrison was out,
McCord left for Syracuse

I remember the Purdue vs Michigan game with mark hermann at Ann Arbor. It was close until Mark was injured. It’s very hard to prepare for a game with one QB And then have success if that player injures himself and to try to replace him mid game.

McChord would have had a lot more success than a mid game replacement with zero experience.

I can’t believe these transfers don’t wait until their seasons are over until declaring their transfers.

Or if a player transfers, he should be able to play immediately for his new team

Shouldn't NIL money be back loaded to cover bowl games?
That is the big debut now. Will some college Collectives require this sometime in the future.

With everyone sitting out now days, I think the bowl format that we have should just be scrapped. Have a 16 or 32 December Madness, like March Madness.

Reactions: RossMackey
I can't see the threads there, but just going on some of the titles (and teaser top lines), is the seat starting to get warm for Day? The new reality of teams going full in on NIL and the portal: You can't lose.

EVER.

it is telling that the USC 3rd string QB was ready to play in a Bowl game and OSU 3rd string was not. To be fair, Devon Brown had more prep reps for the bowl game. But make you wonder, does Day actually develop QBs or just recruit a 5* and plug and play. Lincoln is known for developing QB’s.

Another thought: McCord made the right decision to go to Syracuse, at least for this case. If McCord was playing the Cotton Bowl and OSU lost, the OSU fans would lose their mind. I am not sure if McCord would have made a difference for this game.

I imagine OSU has a good NIL, but other teams with money are able to catch up by buying players like Mizzou and Kentucky.

next year, how OSU looks interesting, stay tuned.

it is telling that the USC 3rd string QB was ready to play in a Bowl game and OSU 3rd string was not. To be fair, Devon Brown had more prep reps for the bowl game. But make you wonder, does Day actually develop QBs or just recruit a 5* and plug and play. Lincoln is known for developing QB’s.

Another thought: McCord made the right decision to go to Syracuse, at least for this case. If McCord was playing the Cotton Bowl and OSU lost, the OSU fans would lose their mind. I am not sure if McCord would have made a difference for this game.

I imagine OSU has a good NIL, but other teams with money are able to catch up by buying players like Mizzou and Kentucky.

next year, how OSU looks interesting, stay tuned.
I’m just thinking game preparation makes a lot of difference. Just think what would happen at Purdue if Card was injured during a game verses if Purdue had two weeks to prepare with a new QB.

Then again Purdue had those 2 weeks to prepare against Auburn with our backup and we were terrible.

I’m just thinking game preparation makes a lot of difference. Just think what would happen at Purdue if Card was injured during a game verses if Purdue had two weeks to prepare with a new QB.

Then again Purdue had those 2 weeks to prepare against Auburn with our backup and we were terrible.
Exactly. Get our guys ready. Do not want to repeat of the Northwestern game. Harrell will need to keep developing Browne, Meriwhether, DaVilla and have them ready to go.

I would not mind getting Browne in for wildcat or short yardage situations . Taysom Hill kind of thing. Just to get him snaps during the season.

Reactions: z_one
Day actually develop QBs or just recruit a 5* and plug and play. Lincoln is known for developing QB’s.
I don't follow NFL, so the question is has one OSU QB panned out after being drafted? OSU lives on recruiting...line and skill positions. They look to overwhelm with talent, not scheme.

I don't follow NFL, so the question is has one OSU QB panned out after being drafted? OSU lives on recruiting...line and skill positions. They look to overwhelm with talent, not scheme.

I will probably piss off OSU fan base. I would argue that Purdue QBs had better success than any previous OSU QB.

I do not recall a single OSU QB panning out in the NFL. Haskins flamed out of Washington. C Jones did not do much in Pittsburg. Fields is decent at Chicago, but he was a transfer from Georgia, so not sure if I can give Day credit for Fields development.

Stroud looks promising at Houston. He just might be that talented. Still his rookie season so will see how he works out in the NFL.

as for Purdue cradle of QB, i mean Brees. But before Brees, Griese, Danielson, Herman. But in recent years. Orton was a journeymen, but had flashes at KC and Buffalo. Chicago might have won a Super Bowl if Orton started over turnover prone Grossman. Blough is still active on an NFL roster. You have AOC (arguably the best rookie behind Stroud).

Purdue did have stretches of bad QB play. I was there for Pike years where he did not know how to make a forward pass.

Reactions: Dickie1
I will probably piss off OSU fan base. I would argue that Purdue QBs had better success than any previous OSU QB.

I do not recall a single OSU QB panning out in the NFL. Haskins flamed out of Washington. C Jones did not do much in Pittsburg. Fields is decent at Chicago, but he was a transfer from Georgia, so not sure if I can give Day credit for Fields development.

Stroud looks promising at Houston. He just might be that talented. Still his rookie season so will see how he works out in the NFL.

as for Purdue cradle of QB, i mean Brees. But before Brees, Griese, Danielson, Herman. But in recent years. Orton was a journeymen, but had flashes at KC and Buffalo. Chicago might have won a Super Bowl if Orton started over turnover prone Grossman. Blough is still active on an NFL roster. You have AOC (arguably the best rookie behind Stroud).

Purdue did have stretches of bad QB play. I was there for Pike years where he did not know how to make a forward pass.
Big Ten QBs with productive NFL careers. I would say Michigan and Purdue produced the most QBs who were productive in the NFL.

can anyone think of any other Big Ten teams that produced QBs who were productive in the NFL?

Big Ten had been notorious for bad QB play, but looking at QBs coming to Big Ten next year, Big Ten will be loaded with good QB play.

even the 2024 QB recruits in the Big Ten are better in quality than we had in previous years.

I was there for Pike years where he did not know how to make a forward pass.
Ha! From my hometown, went to school with his brother . And don't forget Curtis Painter, who wasn't successful from a statistical standpoint, he did get paid $5 million for holding Peyton Mannings clipboard, which I would qualify as successful financially. :)

Stroud has had a tremendous rookie season. Fields is a freak who can do things no one else can but can be bad at times. His last season’s worth of games are very very good statistically though. I think the Bears are going to stick with him.

Stroud has had a tremendous rookie season. Fields is a freak who can do things no one else can but can be bad at times. His last season’s worth of games are very very good statistically though. I think the Bears are going to stick with him.
They would be idiots to stick with Fields instead of drafting Williams or Maye. But it’s the Bears, so…

Reactions: pboiler18
They would be idiots to stick with Fields instead of drafting Williams or Maye. But it’s the Bears, so…
I think they're going to stay status quo. Eberflus looks to be staying, and I can't imagine that doesn't include Fields. Trade down the #1 pick to say, Washington, and get a vet OL plus more picks. Somewhere in there draft Harrison Jr.

I would say Stroud is going to be a really good one.....we shall see. After that, as for NFL success, the most yards as NFL QB since the draft era? Mike Tomczak.....

ae833d36-c2ba-44b9-a072-69457a58d0e3_text.gif

I remember Rex kern in Seattle. Like every other OSU qb, he was not a great nfl qb

Fields gets a lot of very bad press. But if you look at his stats, He is close to being one of the Bears top 5 QBs in the entire history of their franchise. I was shocked to see cutler was the bears greatest qb of all time.

Tomzach was an Ohio st qb Who had a mediocre nfl career. He also started for the bears. He was a capable backup qb and probably made over $1 million in his career.

I remember mark Herrmann was never known as a starter in the nfl. But he had a long career as a backup. And he was making $750k -$1 mil as a backup. Which is nice pay. As part of that pay, he received front row seats to watch every nfl game he wasn’t playing in . He had a nice career even though he wasn’t a starter.

I think they're going to stay status quo. Eberflus looks to be staying, and I can't imagine that doesn't include Fields. Trade down the #1 pick to say, Washington, and get a vet OL plus more picks. Somewhere in there draft Harrison Jr.
I think so too. I’ve never been a fan of Eberflus but they’ve gone from 3 wins to 7 maybe 8 and they should be sitting at 10-6 right now. They’re not firing him with things going in the right direction. They should be in the playoffs next year so I don’t see them going with a rookie QB.

I would only do that if Fields agrees to a team friendly extension between now and the draft.

I think so too. I’ve never been a fan of Eberflus but they’ve gone from 3 wins to 7 maybe 8 and they should be sitting at 10-6 right now. They’re not firing him with things going in the right direction. They should be in the playoffs next year so I don’t see them going with a rookie QB.
They’re not winning a Super Bowl with Flus and Fields. But that may not be their goal.

They’re not winning a Super Bowl with Flus and Fields. But that may not be their goal.
Maybe not but they’re going to have a stacked roster and a big time defense. All the draft capital Poles has acquired is going to pay off. Already is actually. And they’re going to get 2 more 3rd round picks once the GM hiring cycle ends on top of whatever massive haul they get for this #1 pick.

Maybe not but they’re going to have a stacked roster and a big time defense. All the draft capital Poles has acquired is going to pay off. Already is actually. And they’re going to get 2 more 3rd round picks once the GM hiring cycle ends on top of whatever massive haul they get for this #1 pick.
I'm going to be curious as to what their haul will be. Last year's blew me away, and that was with a question mark as to who a team should take at #1. Now this year it seems back to being a lock for Caleb Williams again, so shouldn't it be worth even more?

The question of all NFL teams is do they want to build a winning team and sell tickets? Or do they want to build a championship caliber team and win a Super Bowl?

It should be obvious to many if a QB or a player can lead a team to a championship and if you could win a championship building around that player. If that player is available, you should draft him no matter who else is on your team and regardless if you need him or not! Payton Manning and Elway and Marino were the type of players that GMs thought could lead their teams to a championship. Barry sanders was not seen as a player who could lead his team to a championship.

So put on your Bears GM hat. Do you believe Fields is that guy who could lead your team to a championship? I’m sorry, but I don’t see Fields as being that guy. Is Williams that guy? I would say yes. Now comes the dilemma. Could Fields paired with Harrison lead the Bears to a championship? My answer is maybe. If I was the Bears GM, instead of drafting a qb and trading Fields, I may be more interested in drafting Harrison and keeping Fields. Who is most likely to lead the bears to a championship? QB Williams? Or WR Harrison?

A second question to ask, how much in return would the bears receive in return for trading fields verses trading their pick? Would they receive a better return trading their pick than drafting Harrison?

Last year, the Bears made a smart decision trading down, But they made a dumb decision with the player they selected in last year’s draft. They were given a second chance this year. They could trade down once more and get a future first round pick and a top 10 pick. Will the bears make a smart decision if they trade their pick away with the top 10 pick they receive? Doubtful.

I'm going to be curious as to what their haul will be. Last year's blew me away, and that was with a question mark as to who a team should take at #1. Now this year it seems back to being a lock for Caleb Williams again, so shouldn't it be worth even more?
Yeah last year’s was one of the best trades in history for sure. It’ll be interesting to see who he trades it to and if there will be another established player in the deal.

We’ll see. Chase Claypool and Darnell Wright were essentially Poles’ top 2 picks this year. Meh.

We’ll see. Chase Claypool and Darnell Wright were essentially Poles’ top 2 picks this year. Meh.
He has made 2 bad errors with Claypool and Velus. Otherwise, he has been great. Darnell Wright pick was a fine pick, he's going to be a good player for a long time at RT.

He has made 2 bad errors with Claypool and Velus. Otherwise, he has been great. Darnell Wright pick was a fine pick, he's going to be a good player for a long time at RT.
Wright was a good pick. the guy the Eagles picked was better.

Wright was a good pick. the guy the Eagles picked was better.
Maybe, maybe not. He certainly got off to a heck of a start, but Poles got Dexter later and he has outperformed Carter over the last 6 or 7 weeks. Poles was not interested in a guy with character concerns at #9 overall and got a 4th round pick for nothing to move back a spot. Howie, who is universally praised as an awesome GM, gave Poles 2 4th rounders last year for literally nothing.

Bump. The NFC North is hoping the Bears “continue to build around Fields.”

Looks good against bad defenses. Once he slows down some in his late twenties he will be next to worthless as a starting QB.

If at the end of year 3, you’re still debating whether or not a quarterback is the guy, he ain’t the guy.

Bump. The NFC North is hoping the Bears “continue to build around Fields.”

Looks good against bad defenses. Once he slows down some in his late twenties he will be next to worthless as a starting QB.

If at the end of year 3, you’re still debating whether or not a quarterback is the guy, he ain’t the guy.
I don't think he's very good and I would be moving on from both Fields and the coaching staff. It should never be decided based on one game, but that performance yesterday may have changed things for Poles. Or maybe Warren steps in and make an executive decision.

If it was me I think I'd be taking Maye and hope that one of the weapons makes it to 9. Get Harbaugh or Ben Johnson or whatever offensive guy you like.

I don't think he's very good and I would be moving on from both Fields and the coaching staff. It should never be decided based on one game, but that performance yesterday may have changed things for Poles. Or maybe Warren steps in and make an executive decision.

If it was me I think I'd be taking Maye and hope that one of the weapons makes it to 9. Get Harbaugh or Ben Johnson or whatever offensive guy you like.
The reality is he hasn’t done much against good defenses over the last 3 years.

CJ Stroud has a crappy supporting cast also and he just wins.

The reality is he hasn’t done much against good defenses over the last 3 years.

CJ Stroud has a crappy supporting cast also and he just wins.
Hell, the Packers aren't even a good defense and they had no shot at scoring a TD in that game. You just come after him and it's over. No chance.

I'm just worried that they hand a new QB to Eberflus and Getsy.

Hell, the Packers aren't even a good defense and they had no shot at scoring a TD in that game. You just come after him and it's over. No chance.

I'm just worried that they hand a new QB to Eberflus and Getsy.
I’d offer Harbaugh $15-20 million per, full personnel control, and let him come in and clean house.

I’d offer Harbaugh $15-20 million per, full personnel control, and let him come in and clean house.
I would support a Harbaugh hire, but Poles can stay on as GM. He has made 2 errors, no GM is perfect, and he has them in this once in a lifetime position with the draft capital and cap space.

I am absolutely fascinated by the QB options though. I have a bad feeling about Williams, think I'd take Maye over him. Or they could end up looking at one of these other guys. Maybe they trade back to 3 and look at Daniels. Or how about trading to 3 and taking MHJ there then Penix at 9?

Running QBs are failures unless they can also throw the ball. Throwing the ball 2500 yards and running for 1000 yards is an awesome fantasy stat, but it doesn’t win many games. It’s time for the Bears to invest in a real drop back QB. I hated Love, but even he was more productive than Fields. I’m sorry Bears fans, your offensive philosophy is flawed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT