ADVERTISEMENT

Could Regulations work in the Big Ten/CFB

Dec 14, 2023
The answer is probably no, but all the complaining about how the Big Ten is getting too big, why not? Often CFB has been compared to European soccer. No governing bodies, regional fan bases within a country. For England, they have a top league, The Premiere League. At the end of the season, bottom 3/4?? teams get demoted (regulated) to a lower league, and the top 3/4?? teams from the lower league gets promoted to the Premier League.

so for the Big Ten, suppose we expand to 20 teams, play the season, top 10 gets allocated to a tier 1 conference and the bottom ten gets tier 2 conference. everyone played everyone in respective conference. At the end of the year, bottom 4 teams from tier 1 conference gets demoted to tier 2, and the top 4 from tier 2 conference gets promoted to tier 1. And the top teams from tier 1 conference would be available for the CFP playoffs. It would give teams in the tier 2 something to play for, a promotion to tier 1. and the tier 1 teams to do everything they can to stay in tier 1.

Purdue may see saw between tier 1 and tier 2, while IU stays at the bottom of tier 2 purgatory.

Big Ten Presidents will not go for this but fun to think about.

The answer is probably no, but all the complaining about how the Big Ten is getting too big, why not? Often CFB has been compared to European soccer. No governing bodies, regional fan bases within a country. For England, they have a top league, The Premiere League. At the end of the season, bottom 3/4?? teams get demoted (regulated) to a lower league, and the top 3/4?? teams from the lower league gets promoted to the Premier League.

so for the Big Ten, suppose we expand to 20 teams, play the season, top 10 gets allocated to a tier 1 conference and the bottom ten gets tier 2 conference. everyone played everyone in respective conference. At the end of the year, bottom 4 teams from tier 1 conference gets demoted to tier 2, and the top 4 from tier 2 conference gets promoted to tier 1. And the top teams from tier 1 conference would be available for the CFP playoffs. It would give teams in the tier 2 something to play for, a promotion to tier 1. and the tier 1 teams to do everything they can to stay in tier 1.

Purdue may see saw between tier 1 and tier 2, while IU stays at the bottom of tier 2 purgatory.

Big Ten Presidents will not go for this but fun to think about.
Once you have Superconferences then the power of the NCAA as a governing and regulating body will diminish. They will remain for G5, Lower Divisions, etc, but not for elite CFB or BB.

I could see the B1G and SEC get so big there are essentially self governing because they can disregard the NCAA. Then I can see B1G /SEC merger like the NFL/AFL merger, with NIL caps, collective bargaining, pensions, etc. I don't think NIL is ever going away and I see it getting bigger.

It's gonna be crazy.

I wouldn't mind if they used MEDIA money instead of passing the buck to the fans. But of course they'll think of ways to get us to open our wallets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT