ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dickinson reportedly getting 4 mil to play at Kansas.

Zack saying come to joes is not worth big money. what you are saying is technically correct. but NIL is distributed through collectives and boosters. Zach would have a strong brand in west Lafayette but he's not someone who will garnish national endorsements and that's where the big money is. bottom line he isn't getting 15 million and if he did the rest of the team isn't getting anything.
Really? So, he can't get it directly from Nike or some other some other company that thinks he can sell their brand?

Reactions: oldboiler52
College athletics in now like professional sports with no salary cap.
NCAA at minimum should reinstate the 1 year sit out transfer rule.
I’m fine with 1 jump, after that a player should have to sit a year. As for Dickinson making $4 million, I’d be doing the same thing, don’t hate the player, hate the game lol.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It's a good gig, if you can get it.

This dude will have earned, what, more than $5M while in college? I could make that last the rest of my life, if I were in his position. :D

Really? So, he can't get it directly from Nike or some other some other company that thinks he can sell their brand?
so, Nike is going to give out a multi-million-dollar contract to a guy who could possibly go undrafted. Zion Williamson in college could have commanded something like that. Zach Edey are you serious.

But....but....I thought Purdue and Painter didn't get involved in the new dirty world of NIL? At least that's what the apologists have been saying.
Sorry, but as I recall, you are the only one spouting that Purdue isn't engaged in NIL. Done correctly, it is quite ethical. ...and the coach is not involved directly.

Sorry, but as I recall, you are the only one spouting that Purdue isn't engaged in NIL. Done correctly, it is quite ethical. ...and the coach is not involved directly.
Indiana obviously had to promise both ware and Mocambo something do you consider that ethical.

NIL rules state that $$$ cannot be tied to recruiting so yeah, it’s unethical if that’s what happened.
seems like an impossible situation to regulate. how can a kid make a decision on who to sign with, without the knowledge of what he can earn, would be like taking a job and not discussing what the salary is.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
It's a completely grey area. No, I don't believe Painter is writing checks or handing over envelopes of cash directly, but he's definitely involved and helping to move pieces around.

Do you really believe if Kanon Catchings says "Coach Painter, XYZ Univ is offering me $250K in NIL per year to come play there. That's a lot of money and could make a difference for me and my family. It'd be irresponsible of me to not to strongly consider this offer", that Painter wouldn't be on the phone 5 minutes later with Purdue NIL people?

Since you have no integrity, we all understand that you don't get it. C'mon man....
Do you think Purdue is the most ethical team in the country?

Was it unethical for Coach Walters to ask people to contribute to the NIL fund since it'll help in recruiting?

Do you think Purdue is the most ethical team in the country?

Was it unethical for Coach Walters to ask people to contribute to the NIL fund since it'll help in recruiting?
No idea about anyone on Purdue's staff, but you're on record as saying you're okay if skirting the rules results in FF or NC. That says a lot about your personal integrity. Hint....you have none.

No idea about anyone on Purdue's staff, but you're on record as saying you're okay if skirting the rules results in FF or NC. That says a lot about your personal integrity. Hint....you have none.
Skirting the rules is not the same as breaking the rules. As we all know, NIL, recruiting, etc is a very grey area.
It's like taking advantage of tax loopholes. Is it ethical for a billionaire to take advantage of loopholes in tax law to pay less in taxes?

But you didn't answer the question. Is our new football coach being unethical when he asks for donors to contribute to the NIL because it will help in recruiting?

Skirting the rules is not the same as breaking the rules. As we all know, NIL, recruiting, etc is a very grey area.
It's like taking advantage of tax loopholes. Is it ethical for a billionaire to take advantage of loopholes in tax law to pay less in taxes?

But you didn't answer the question. Is our new football coach being unethical when he asks for donors to contribute to the NIL because it will help in recruiting?
The rules are very clear: NIL money cannot be used as an inducement in recruiting.

If you want a coach who doesn’t follow the rules, bring a briefcase full of $16 million and make an appointment with Bobinski and Berghoff.

Who said anything about proper NIL deals being unethical? You love to move the goal posts. Yes, using NIL as a recruiting incentive, is unethical, but to-date, there is no evidence of anyone on Purdue's staff, alliance, or players being involved with using NIL improperly. You're the only one implying that they are (or at least you want them to).

Reactions: mathboy
Who said anything about proper NIL deals being unethical? You love to move the goal posts. Yes, using NIL as a recruiting incentive, is unethical, but to-date, there is no evidence of anyone on Purdue's staff, alliance, or players being involved with using NIL improperly. You're the only one implying that they are (or at least you want them to).
Bingo.

I'll ask it for a third time. Is Coach Walters being unethical when he asks donors to contribute to the NIL fund because it will help in recruiting?

Is unethical the same as breaking the rules?

I'll ask it for a third time. Is Coach Walters being unethical when he asks donors to contribute to the NIL fund because it will help in recruiting?
I don’t think you are understanding. Having a large NIL fund helps with recruiting without using it to recruit. It’s really a simple concept.

Last I checked, coach Walters is on Purdue's staff. I believe you have your answer. Unless of course reading comprehension isn't your thing.

I don’t think you are understanding. Having a large NIL fund helps with recruiting without using it to recruit. It’s really a simple concept.
That's some good ole circular logic right there.

"Hey kid, come to Purdue. We have a huge NIL fund, but don't let us telling you that sway your decision in any way, because we certainly don't want those NIL dollars to have any influence on whether you come to Purdue or not."

Not necessarily. Obviously breaking rules is unethical, but one can be 100 percent within the rules and still be unethical (for example lying to recruits).

But PurduePete said:

"NIL rules state that $$$ cannot be tied to recruiting so yeah, it’s unethical if that’s what happened."

So, if a team is using NIL $ to recruit, what's the punishment? Who has been punished so far? I seems like the Pack to Miami deal would certainly fall under that category?
So, did Miami break the rules or were they just unethical? Or both. And if both, why haven't they been punished?

That's some good ole circular logic right there.

"Hey kid, come to Purdue. We have a huge NIL fund, but don't let us telling you that sway your decision in any way, because we certainly don't want those NIL dollars to have any influence on whether you come to Purdue or not."
The coach doesn’t have to mention anything for the players to know what the NIL situation is.

An example is that everyone knows that every basketball player receives something from the alliance at Purdue. It’s also obvious that some players such as Edey can generate extra funds through NIL.

The alliance isn’t where the huge deals come from. Those deals are made with private companies and/or rich alumni outside of the basketball program.

I don’t understand how you can’t understand this simple concept. The coach can say a larger NIL fund helps in recruiting without actually using NIL to recruit.

But PurduePete said:

"NIL rules state that $$$ cannot be tied to recruiting so yeah, it’s unethical if that’s what happened."

So, if a team is using NIL $ to recruit, what's the punishment? Who has been punished so far? I seems like the Pack to Miami deal would certainly fall under that category?
So, did Miami break the rules or were they just unethical? Or both. And if both, why haven't they been punished?
You'd better ask the NCAA those questions.
I believe they cheated. I belive they're unethical scum, but apparently they're getting away with it. Or possibly they never offered Pack money to come.....nah - I don't buy that one.

Why no punishment? Probably the same reason Bill Self hasn't been punished for illegally buying players - the NCAA is spineless. But, just because the NCAA is spineless, doesn't mean Purdue should follow Kansas and Miami.

The coach doesn’t have to mention anything for the players to know what the NIL situation is.

An example is that everyone knows that every basketball player receives something from the alliance at Purdue. It’s also obvious that some players such as Edey can generate extra funds through NIL.

The alliance isn’t where the huge deals come from. Those deals are made with private companies and/or rich alumni outside of the basketball program.

I don’t understand how you can’t understand this simple concept. The coach can say a larger NIL fund helps in recruiting without actually using NIL to recruit.

I think you're being very naive to believe the coach isn't closely involved with NIL.
Do you really think that if Kanon Catchings says: "Coach Painter, let's talk about NIL. I'm very interested to hear what Purdue can offer because I'm getting some pretty attractive offers from some other schools"
That Painter is going to say "Well, I can't have that discussion. You'll have to reach out to Mr. Purdue Alliance Director to see what they're able to do."

I mean, if you want to live in this world where Purdue and Painter are perfect and would never step into the grey area, then go ahead if that makes you feel good.

Come on...surly you're not that dumb.
No..You tell me. You said it was unethical for a coach to use NIL in recruiting. At the same time, our new football coach ask donors to contribute to the Purdue NIL because it would help recruiting.
So, which is it?

You'd better ask the NCAA those questions.
I believe they cheated. I belive they're unethical scum, but apparently they're getting away with it. Or possibly they never offered Pack money to come.....nah - I don't buy that one.

Why no punishment? Probably the same reason Bill Self hasn't been punished for illegally buying players - the NCAA is spineless. But, just because the NCAA is spineless, doesn't mean Purdue should follow Kansas and Miami.

So, you'd be OK if Edey comes back next year and signs the largest NIL deals in the country? Which he's only going to get if he returns. He could go play overseas and make plenty of money, but maybe not as much in 1 year as some of the numbers being tossed around if he comes back to Purdue.

No..You tell me. You said it was unethical for a coach to use NIL in recruiting. At the same time, our new football coach ask donors to contribute to the Purdue NIL because it would help recruiting.
So, which is it?
You clearly don't understand the difference in having a large war chest of NIL funds available for guys to get NIL deals after they come to PU versus using those funds as a promise to a recruit to get him to come. The first is within the rules and what coach Walters is asking for. The 2nd is against the rules and not done at PU (as far as we know).

Reactions: Schnelk
So, you'd be OK if Edey comes back next year and signs the largest NIL deals in the country? Which he's only going to get if he returns. He could go play overseas and make plenty of money, but maybe not as much in 1 year as some of the numbers being tossed around if he comes back to Purdue.
Yes

I think you're being very naive to believe the coach isn't closely involved with NIL.
Do you really think that if Kanon Catchings says: "Coach Painter, let's talk about NIL. I'm very interested to hear what Purdue can offer because I'm getting some pretty attractive offers from some other schools"
That Painter is going to say "Well, I can't have that discussion. You'll have to reach out to Mr. Purdue Alliance Director to see what they're able to do."

I mean, if you want to live in this world where Purdue and Painter are perfect and would never step into the grey area, then go ahead if that makes you feel good.
Painter doesn’t need to step into the grey area and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t as he has been chastised on this board by those like yourself for not doing it.
What you fail to grasp is that it’s public knowledge that Purdue Alliance had a goal of $6 million raised for NIL. Recruits see this without Painter needing to comment on it. Now as to what the football coach said, do you not think that if that $6 mil number was $18 mil then that would improve recruiting? He doesn’t have to use NIL to recruit as what’s known publicly does that job without him needing to break rules.

The coaches don’t have to use NIL as a recurring tool. Recruits see these numbers, as well as reports of Edey making a million, or the fact that every member of the team has ann opportunity to receive a chunk of this cache. All of this happens without Painter saying a word or violating rules.

It’s really pretty simple yet somehow you fail to grasp it. I think you are, for one a Painter hater, so you find fault in anything he does amd in this case, things he doesn’t do. Secondly, I think you are so obsessed with yourself and your own opinion that since you have no problem being a cheater, then you try to convince others that it’s right to cheat just because you yourself don’t have the scruples to do what’s right.

Sad world you live in Bone. I’m not sure you even realize that being as successful as you portray on here is an empty victory if you yourself did what you feel Painter should do such as playing in the grey areas, or what’s commonly known as cheating.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
You clearly don't understand the difference in having a large war chest of NIL funds available for guys to get NIL deals after they come to PU versus using those funds as a promise to a recruit to get him to come. The first is within the rules and what coach Walters is asking for. The 2nd is against the rules and not done at PU (as far as we know).
But Coach Walters specifically said it would help in recruiting.
If a coach tells a recruit "Hey, come to Purdue. We have a NIL warchest of $10M".
Is the coach saying "Hey, come to Purdue and see if you can get yourself some of these NIL deals, but we can't help you do so as a coaching staff?"

Again, I know you think or wish Purdue runs the cleanest program in the country, but I think that's wishful thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT