ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dickinson reportedly getting 4 mil to play at Kansas.

Good for him. Seriously can't be upset for him cashing in if that is true.

2 thoughts:

1. If Kansas gets bounced in the Sweet 16 will boosters keep putting that kind of cash into NIL?

2. If he was clearly offered money on recruitment, which is illegal, and talking about it with quotes to reporters on record that it influenced his decision, why do we even need collectives? If the NCAA is going to turn their backs on this, just let the schools or boosters pay the players directly. What's the point of NIL if it's not being regulated?

Good for him. Seriously can't be upset for him cashing in if that is true.

2 thoughts:

1. If Kansas gets bounced in the Sweet 16 will boosters keep putting that kind of cash into NIL?

2. If he was clearly offered money on recruitment, which is illegal, and talking about it with quotes to reporters on record that it influenced his decision, why do we even need collectives? If the NCAA is going to turn their backs on this, just let the schools or boosters pay the players directly. What's the point of NIL if it's not being regulated?
They've always "turned' their backs. I would assume "back door'" deals are still happening today even with the NIL.

So does Kansas have any money left for mc Gumby ! I feel sad for Dickinson complaining he didn’t even get over $100,000 last year! And he said he had to think of himself and put his interests first over those of the team! And then saying if an ordinary person was offered$10,000 more, surely they would also jump at the opportunity to cash in. I guess money is all today’s players care about these days

Reactions: oldboiler52
My unsolicited advice to the NCAA.......

jaws-bigger-boat.gif

So does Kansas have any money left for mc Gumby ! I feel sad for Dickinson complaining he didn’t even get over $100,000 last year! And he said he had to think of himself and put his interests first over those of the team! And then saying if an ordinary person was offered$10,000 more, surely they would also jump at the opportunity to cash in. I guess money is all today’s players care about these days
You would be stupid to turn down 4 million for 100,000. Money isnt necessarily the only factor, but when its 40x more its an easy decision we all would make. I dont get shitting on him for making wise financial moves. 4 million is more than most of us will make in a life time...

Reactions: Poprudy
A national writer predicts Zach will receive Five Million plus to come back to Purdue this year. Changed his student visa to a work visa to earn U.S dollars. His prediction if he were to use his covid year he would command near Ten Million. He predicts Zach will use both but not necessarily at Purdue. The article was behind a paywall. I 100% agree if he isn't projected first round, he comes back for both years even if he has to walk on his covid year. He also predicts Lance Jones will be an instant impact player in the B1G Ten.

You would be stupid to turn down 4 million for 100,000. Money isnt necessarily the only factor, but when its 40x more its an easy decision we all would make. I dont get shitting on him for making wise financial moves. 4 million is more than most of us will make in a life time...
Maybe its the bastardization of our amateur athletics that some of feel sad about.
Can't blame him for his financial moves, no.
But we already have plenty of professional sports.
Certainly sad to see someone leaving his friends and school for his last year because of $.
Moreso by x10 that it just feeds even more into the "$ is EVERYTHING" attitude that permeates our society.
Very sad.

Reactions: Schnelk
A national writer predicts Zach will receive Five Million plus to come back to Purdue this year. Changed his student visa to a work visa to earn U.S dollars. His prediction if he were to use his covid year he would command near Ten Million. He predicts Zach will use both but not necessarily at Purdue. The article was behind a paywall. I 100% agree if he isn't projected first round, he comes back for both years even if he has to walk on his covid year. He also predicts Lance Jones will be an instant impact player in the B1G Ten.
...and who said that Purdue can't or won't work with the NIL? Bonefish, where are you?

Reactions: Poprudy
Plus it’s not like Michigan couldn’t have come up with similar money if they really wanted to.

Better program as well and might elevate his draft stock.

When folks state so and so is getting 4-5 mil in NIL. Are we talking 1 deal from 1 source or this from a multitude of deal and sources?

Other than those few boosters who can fork over cash under the guise of NIL, cant the players make whatever they want from whatever sources?

My point is once you are on a large regional or national level seems like $4-5 million or 10mil+ would be pretty attainable. A single shoe campaign could easily add up to millions by itself.

Plus it’s not like Michigan couldn’t have come up with similar money if they really wanted to.
Agree. U-M athletics are loaded, because in part they choose how to spend it. The big return there's on football.

Makes me suspect powers that be were glad to say bye-bye. How did Dickhead do "leading" a team with likely NBA draft picks Jett Howard and Kobe Bufkin on it?

Reactions: Schnelk
But....but....I thought Purdue and Painter didn't get involved in the new dirty world of NIL? At least that's what the apologists have been saying.

Maybe its the bastardization of our amateur athletics that some of feel sad about.
Can't blame him for his financial moves, no.
But we already have plenty of professional sports.
Certainly sad to see someone leaving his friends and school for his last year because of $.
Moreso by x10 that it just feeds even more into the "$ is EVERYTHING" attitude that permeates our society.
Very sad.
Not a single person on here, not one, would turn down 40X their current salary if another company offered that.

For a lot of people, money is everything. If you have the choice to be rich or poor, you'd choose rich every time.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
that's crazy Purdue is not going to pay him 15 million for 2 years. would deplete most if not all of their NIL funds.

I would expect Edey could get an endorsement from some national business regardless of the school he plays for. One article says he already has his own personal agent.

No one said that.
Quite on the contrary! Several posters who think Purdue and Painter are above the 'pay to play' NIL environment has stated repeatedly and confidently that Purdue and Painter wouldn't be involved in such absurdity.

Not a single person on here, not one, would turn down 40X their current salary if another company offered that.

For a lot of people, money is everything. If you have the choice to be rich or poor, you'd choose rich every time.
Being rich monetary is subjective....

Are you complacent, do you want more, do you love your place of employment and/or what's the risk/reward ratio. All these are factors that can determine a move, not just money. IMO

I was offered a potential bump of 5x my current wages, but I wasn't going to be happy with my current life situation. I'm married with kids(both are older, one graduate and another a freshman) but could it change my marriage? sure.... Sometimes monetary reasons can't reflect being rich. IMO

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Being rich monetary is subjective....

Are you complacent, do you want more, do you love your place of employment and/or what's the risk/reward ratio. All these are factors that can determine a move, not just money. IMO

I was offered a potential bump of 5x my current wages, but I wasn't going to be happy with my current life situation. I'm married with kids(both are older, one graduate and another a freshman) but could it change my marriage? sure.... Sometimes monetary reasons can't reflect being rich. IMO
This is guaranteed one time money. As a 23 year old, or whatever he is, getting $4M is more than enough to build a lifelong nest egg, even if he goes to play in Europe for another $1M/year.

We, the average Joes, are in the same ballpark in terms of life changing generation wealth that these guys have to opportunity to make. And as rare as anyone being offered 5X their salary to make a job change, 40X for 12 months is a different situation.

This is guaranteed one time money. As a 23 year old, or whatever he is, getting $4M is more than enough to build a lifelong nest egg, even if he goes to play in Europe for another $1M/year.

We, the average Joes, are in the same ballpark in terms of life changing generation wealth that these guys have to opportunity to make. And as rare as anyone being offered 5X their salary to make a job change, 40X for 12 months is a different situation.
Yes, as a 23 yr old. I agree.....but, that's not what you stated "Not a single person on here, not one, would turn down 40X their current salary if another company offered that."

That's why this is subjective. 5X is a true statement and I just love my wife and kids more than what any monetary situation can fulfill my needs. I do agree most people are "money runners" without any thought behind it, but there are still some out there.

that's crazy Purdue is not going to pay him 15 million for 2 years. would deplete most if not all of their NIL fundT

that's crazy Purdue is not going to pay him 15 million for 2 years. would deplete most if not all of their NIL funds.
NIL money is Zach selling his Name Image and Likeness. This has nothing to do with Purdue or Painter. Painter shares the same agent with Zach if that matters. Zach saying come to Joe's for BIG savings is worth what it's worth.

NIL money is Zach selling his Name Image and Likeness. This has nothing to do with Purdue or Painter. Painter shares the same agent with Zach if that matters. Zach saying come to Joe's for BIG savings is worth what it's worth.
Zack saying come to joes is not worth big money. what you are saying is technically correct. but NIL is distributed through collectives and boosters. Zach would have a strong brand in west Lafayette but he's not someone who will garnish national endorsements and that's where the big money is. bottom line he isn't getting 15 million and if he did the rest of the team isn't getting anything.

There are always factors involved. But I would agree if you are 20-24 years old, single, and with your entire life ahead of you, I would encourage the person to take the money. I would advocate you can always complete your degree at a later time. In the case of Dickinson, he could always go back to Michigan after playing for Kansas to get his Michigan degree. Big Dog took the money the NBA offered him and came back and finished his degree. Quonzo took the money and then came back to finish his degree.

Many agencies and businesses don’t really care where your degree is from or what your major is as long as you have a degree! The reality is there are many IU and ND engineering graduates who found a job. I’m quite certain somebody will hire Dickinson even if he has a degree from Kansas. The qb from Georgia went to college for 6 years, didn’t graduate and still received a job offer from the NFL. I may dislike Dickinson and his lack of loyalty , but I doubt he cares what I think.

There are always factors involved. But I would agree if you are 20-24 years old, single, and with your entire life ahead of you, I would encourage the person to take the money. I would advocate you can always complete your degree at a later time. In the case of Dickinson, he could always go back to Michigan after playing for Kansas to get his Michigan degree. Big Dog took the money the NBA offered him and came back and finished his degree. Quonzo took the money and then came back to finish his degree.

Many agencies and businesses don’t really care where your degree is from or what your major is as long as you have a degree! The reality is there are many IU and ND engineering graduates who found a job. I’m quite certain somebody will hire Dickinson even if he has a degree from Kansas. The qb from Georgia went to college for 6 years, didn’t graduate and still received a job offer from the NFL. I may dislike Dickinson and his lack of loyalty , but I doubt he cares what I think.
barring injury Dickinson will never have to have a real job if he's smart. worst case 4 mil from Kansas and even if he doesn't make the NBA can have a lucrative career overseas.

I still believe Zach could potentially receive a big money endorsement outside what the Purdue alliances and collective could offer! I have to believe there is some Canadian business that would love to have him endorse their product. I’m sure some Canadian business would want the best college player in North America wearing or eating or driving their product

Reactions: Tommaker
Quite on the contrary! Several posters who think Purdue and Painter are above the 'pay to play' NIL environment has stated repeatedly and confidently that Purdue and Painter wouldn't be involved in such absurdity.
Who said Painter wouldn’t want his players getting NIL money?

I still believe Zach could potentially receive a big money endorsement outside what the Purdue alliances and collective could offer! I have to believe there is some Canadian business that would love to have him endorse their product. I’m sure some Canadian business would want the best college player in North America wearing or eating or driving their product
maybe so, I don't see it, college basketball is an afterthought to most people until March madness. and he hasn't had a lot of exposure there.

the whole thing is a farce, how does Dickenson get guaranteed 4 million for nil before he ever stepped foot in Kansas. I don't think Painter is opposed to his players getting NIL I think he said it wouldn't be a recruiting tool.

Nobody did. Painter himself has said that they don’t get involved with NIL in the recruiting process. That’s completely different than helping Zach get the best NIL deal he can get as a returning player.

Personal opinion, I think that's why there's a Purdue game up there this fall. I mean now with Rush gone, what else do they have?

ADVERTISEMENT