ADVERTISEMENT

One thing is clear

Purdue shouldn’t play Loyer and Colvin together against teams with good guards. That stretch where they hit 3 straight 3’s in about a minute was the ugliest D we’ve played all season.
Not sure where in the game this is, but Jameer (sp?) Brown number 5 came off the bench and hit three 3s quickly… first one was baseline across from Purdue bench. Some will remember Purdue recruiting him and him decommitting (Verballef I believe) and going to PSU when Micah was hired. He was recruited as a shooter but didn’t play a lot last year

Reactions: Schnelk
Not sure where in the game this is, but Jameer (sp?) Brown number 5 came off the bench and hit three 3s quickly… first one was baseline across from Purdue bench. Some will remember Purdue recruiting him and him decommitting (Verballef I believe) and going to PSU when Micah was hired. He was recruited as a shooter but didn’t play a lot last year

A little over 6 minutes left in 1st half, TJ. Actually, Brown made the first two, and then Kern made the 3rd....9-2 run in just over a minute cut Purdue's lead from 44-21 to 46-30.

Fortunately, as a Purdue alum, I had my feathers numbered for just such an emergency. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

A little over 6 minutes left in 1st half, TJ. Actually, Brown made the first two, and then Kern made the 3rd....9-2 run in just over a minute cut Purdue's lead from 44-21 to 46-30.

Fortunately, as a Purdue alum, I had my feathers numbered for just such an emergency. :)

maxresdefault.jpg
Did they show the 74 NIT team members at half? I couldn't hear if the big guy was Scheffler/Garrett or McDermott. The second guy mentioned was a childhood friend whose dad in the early 60s was a high school coach that played "The Rule Defense" which was a frontrunner to Bill Green's matchup in the late 60s. I never saw any of those guys before the game although I tried. Pat Manahan was my friend, but think he was at Purdue only that year before transferring to Colorado and now is an attorney in Delphi. He had a pony tail and a bear or goatee ;) Did catch Zo, Roy Hairston and Tim Ervin before the game. Told Zo his podcast with Glenn was outstanding. Asked Roy how his shirt was...and that brought Zo and Roy laughing...talked to Tim about knowing he coached. Later I finally caught Shasha's dad. Been trying to find him since we used to talk before games when Sasha was playing and said Sasha loves what he is doing. Kim just stands to the side if she was with me and the only time with me was when I was talking to Dustin and Dave Shellhase for just a few. All that helps me get my Purdue fix. Couldn't find Bruce and maybe 7 or 8 years since I've seen him?

Did they show the 74 NIT team members at half? I couldn't hear if the big guy was Scheffler/Garrett or McDermott. The second guy mentioned was a childhood friend whose dad in the early 60s was a high school coach that played "The Rule Defense" which was a frontrunner to Bill Green's matchup in the late 60s. I never saw any of those guys before the game although I tried. Pat Manahan was my friend, but think he was at Purdue only that year before transferring to Colorado and now is an attorney in Delphi. He had a pony tail and a bear or goatee ;) Did catch Zo, Roy Hairston and Tim Ervin before the game. Told Zo his podcast with Glenn was outstanding. Asked Roy how his shirt was...and that brought Zo and Roy laughing...talked to Tim about knowing he coached. Later I finally caught Shasha's dad. Been trying to find him since we used to talk before games when Sasha was playing and said Sasha loves what he is doing. Kim just stands to the side if she was with me and the only time with me was when I was talking to Dustin and Dave Shellhase for just a few. All that helps me get my Purdue fix. Couldn't find Bruce and maybe 7 or 8 years since I've seen him?

Missed the half-time, TJ due to scrambling for lunch/sustenance....

Here's a good post-gamer with Matt Painter and the '74 team.

The tall guy was Dan McDermott.

Thank you !!! I was a bit surprised to see Pat with a pony tail standing beside Frank. Wish I could have talked with him. Wanted to talk to Bruce about Austin and how long he has been out of Cummins. Still not sure of some of the people. FWIW Gerald Thomas was in a wheelchair. Dave Schellhase told me he coached that group when they were freshmen and couldn’t play .

Seeing Gerald Thomas…the athlete he was was a reminder how quickly health can leave us.

Thank you !!! I was a bit surprised to see Pat with a pony tail standing beside Frank. Wish I could have talked with him. Wanted to talk to Bruce about Austin and how long he has been out of Cummins. Still not sure of some of the people. FWIW Gerald Thomas was in a wheelchair. Dave Schellhase told me he coached that group when they were freshmen and couldn’t play .

Seeing Gerald Thomas…the athlete he was was a reminder how quickly health can leave us.
Gerald was also my neighbor! He was great talking bball with and a great guy in general. Him and his wife raised two great sons!

Gerald was also my neighbor! He was great talking bball with and a great guy in general. Him and his wife raised two great sons!
Guessing that was in Lafayette…maybe west side just know his children went to Catholic.

Guessing that was in Lafayette…maybe west side just know his children went to Catholic.
Frank and family lived in west Lafayette and his kids went to school at Central Catholic. Gerald and family lived in west Lafayette and both kids went to West Side.

Reactions: tjreese

Two from Bruce on Bruce’s right side was Mike Steele. The other site has a podcast with some of these players a few days ago.. Bruce thought they finished ranked 9th or 10th

Two from Bruce on Bruce’s right side was Mike Steele. The other site has a podcast with some of these players a few days ago.. Bruce thought they finished ranked 9th or 10th

11th - finished 10-4 in conference for third behind Michigan/Indiana @ 12-2. I think that was the year they had a one-game playoff in Champaign-Urbana for the NCAA tournament bid, with Michigan winning it.

Reactions: tjreese
11th - finished 10-4 in conference for third behind Michigan/Indiana @ 12-2. I think that was the year they had a one-game playoff in Champaign-Urbana for the NCAA tournament bid, with Michigan winning it.
Can’t remember when Nichols hurt his knee, but that hurt Purdue

Reactions: Boilermb
I met one of his sons at the Alabama game in Toronto. He and his wife were sitting behind me and my buddy. Nice people. We had a good time talking basketball with them.
Also, my freshman year I lived in Owen Hall next door to Wayne Walls and Mike White. One time Dan McDermott knocked on my door by mistake, looking for Wayne and Mike. I had to walk out in the hall to see him. His head was above the door frame.

I met one of his sons at the Alabama game in Toronto. He and his wife were sitting behind me and my buddy. Nice people. We had a good time talking basketball with them.
Also, my freshman year I lived in Owen Hall next door to Wayne Walls and Mike White. One time Dan McDermott knocked on my door by mistake, looking for Wayne and Mike. I had to walk out in the hall to see him. His head was above the door frame.
What ever happened to Mike White.

Purdue shouldn’t play Loyer and Colvin together against teams with good guards. That stretch where they hit 3 straight 3’s in about a minute was the ugliest D we’ve played all season.
First 3 in the sequence was poor defense by Smith. He did not rotate onto the open man at the top. Decided to do a double team with Loyer. Resulted in a 2 on 1 for Colvin. Wide open 3. One of two PSU players on the top was going to have a wide open 3.

2nd made 3, TKR did not guard anyone, resulting in chaos by the Purdue guards.

Loyer was emulating the Morton style of defense. Chase from behind, “chicken with its head cut off”.

What ever happened to Mike White.
No idea...just kinda vanished. 6'8" I recall and built like Jim (not James) Brown. He was an enforcer to "Let's Get Physical" He wanted to hear their body talk...their body talk ;)

I've posted this before, but I have a very bright friend who tested out of two years of Chem E that didn't handle his alcohol well one night and wrecked into Mike's car in the North Stadium parking lot. There were only two cars in the lot at the time...Mike's and his and he managed to hit Mike's. Police threw him in jail for the night and we bailed him the next morning

• Haha
Reactions: Tommaker
First 3 in the sequence was poor defense by Smith. He did not rotate onto the open man at the top. Decided to do a double team with Loyer. Resulted in a 2 on 1 for Colvin. Wide open 3. One of two PSU players on the top was going to have a wide open 3.

2nd made 3, TKR did not guard anyone, resulting in chaos by the Purdue guards.

Loyer was emulating the Morton style of defense. Chase from behind, “chicken with its head cut off”.
you don't watch much basketball eh?

How good would we be if Johnell Davis of FAU had come here had 30 today against UAB

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
How good would we be if Johnell Davis of FAU had come here had 30 today against UAB

Naw, coaches didn't need to work with administration to get him eligible here. As Painter already had his #1 guard wrapped up & on scholie.......Morton. 😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT