ADVERTISEMENT

Now is the time when all good Purdue fan’s…

Not me. I have been looking for where sixth loss would come from for se on place teams.

Purdue has too favorable of a schedule. Indiana would have to win out and Purdue would have to lose another outside of that for even just a tie. And it's the same for Northwestern. Illinois would also need to win out, which would include winning at Mackey like Indiana.

I hear ya, KenTre. The reflexive Purdue disillusionment usually kicks in after a meltdown loss like this. What do they call it, Boilerepherine?

On the other hand, I also think tough losses now are good opportunities for growth. Better to face adversity in February than to be ill-prepared for it in March.

I still think this team can do something special.

I hear ya, KenTre. The reflexive Purdue disillusionment usually kicks in after a meltdown loss like this. What do they call it, Boilerepherine?

On the other hand, I also think tough losses now are good opportunities for growth. Better to face adversity in February than to be ill-prepared for it in March.

I still think this team can do something special.

You can thank @Cleanface for Boilerepherine and my endorsement deal for it. :)

Yes - season not over by a long shot.....this was a big blow but not a knock-out unless they allow it to be. I will be really interested to see what transpires TH.....a big big challenge the rest of the way. How do they handle it?

We shall see. Boilers still have a great opportunity.......it's also the long game and a building process. I'd recommend not selling them out if things don't work out this year, though.

Tough loss today, for certain.

Last edited:
Is it disillusionment or just the recognition of a pattern that seemingly repeats itself year after year?

yes - until it doesn't. :)

It may not be this year, but if they keep giving themselves better chances and have the necessary resolve and poise......sooner or later, it will happen. Now - I may not be around to see it....but some of you younger whippersnappers will be......and if that's the case, raise an extra glass for 'ol Tex.

yes - until it doesn't. :)

It may not be this year, but if they keep giving themselves better chances and have the necessary resolve and poise......sooner or later, it will happen. Now - I may not be around to see it....but some of you younger whippersnappers will be......and if that's the case, raise an extra glass for 'ol Tex.
I agree. People criticize Painter for not making the FF. But I do think he's nudging the program in that direction. Keep putting the program on the threshold of greatness, and somebody's going to kick in the door.

sphincters begin to tighten. The season will end cruelly, we just don’t know how. But, like Thanos, we know it to be inevitable.
Eff you.
We’re in a prime position, ONCE AGAIN because we have EARNED bit!

Purdue will strive for the pinnacle, and this Boilermaker will enjoy the ride ONCE AGAIN…

Methinks you’re nothing but a wannabe hater

You can thank @Cleanface for Boilerepherine and my endorsement deal for it. :)

Yes - season not over by a long shot.....this was a big blow but not a knock-out unless they allow it to be. I will be really interested to see what transpires TH.....a big big challenge the rest of the way. How do they handle it?

We shall see. Boilers still have a great opportunity.......it's also the long game and a building process. I'd recommend not selling them out if things don't work out this year, though.

Tough loss today, for certain.
It seemed a lot of fans thought Purdue would split this week. THAT may still happen. Going to undefeated Maryland at home and playing a team that does things that have caused Purdue to struggle would be a greater win than the Northwestern Loss. Maryland will have confidence and play their A game and we shall see what Purdue does. This isn't what Purdue wanted, but I'm not sure just how ready Purdue was to play. I expect Purdue to be more mentally ready Thursday, but that will also be against a team that was expected to be more trouble for Purdue.

It seemed a lot of fans thought Purdue would split this week. THAT may still happen. Going to undefeated Maryland at home and playing a team that does things that have caused Purdue to struggle would be a greater win than the Northwestern Loss. Maryland will have confidence and play their A game and we shall see what Purdue does. This isn't what Purdue wanted, but I'm not sure just how ready Purdue was to play. I expect Purdue to be more mentally ready Thursday, but that will also be against a team that was expected to be more trouble for Purdue.
Maryland pressed Indiana a lot and the refs swallowed their whistles.. if Purdue fans wanna complain about refs at Northwestern, get ready for them at Maryland.

Reactions: drewjin
Where were you went these Painter- coached teams evicserated WV, Duke, and Gonzaga??

Typical POS coward…

Reactions: Schnelk
Maryland pressed Indiana a lot and the refs swallowed their whistles.. if Purdue fans wanna complain about refs at Northwestern, get ready for them at Maryland.
Maybe that's what Purdue needs to face. It's apparent that handling a physical press and bigger athletic guards are two areas that Purdue needs more work. Face it, head on. Get better at it.

So recent history is that Purdue over the years drops two in a row and then regathers. It seems a lot of teams have switched to a 2-2-1 press from 1-2-1-1 or 1-2-2 in the past. Purdue knows this and knows that will be a lot of the game. It will be interesting how Purdue tries to attack and/or break the press quickly. Most use the press to allow less time for Zach to get the ball trying to prevent a post and repost preventing where the refs can see what is happening to Zach. Still, if loose with the ball then Maryland has some freebies and resets the press. So it is important to break the press and score so maryland is playing against your set D. If Maryland does not score (no press), then Purdue probably sees man in the half although it could see again the Zone or matchup zone as the clock winds down stay with the man in their area or already had as they morph to full man.

Maryland causes problems for Purdue on O as well. They spread you out , dribble drive and kick it out for the three ball. It is important that each person take pride in their D so it isn't up to everyone else all the time helping as much. Ethan will need to be solid on Hart and Braden will need to be solid on Young, but the contrast in styles is what makes this game difficult to grasp. The Purdue 3 ball needs some breaks if a lot of misses and get more vertical to become aggressive going to the rim. Soften the D and understand what is a good shot for one isn't a good shot for another...and seeing the rim may not be a good shot? They are undefeated at home this year and already played Purdue close. If Purdue can grab a W that will be better positive than the Lower negative worse than from Northwestern.

Is Purdue seeing the freshman wall? We shall see...

Reactions: drewjin and Schnelk
Maybe that's what Purdue needs to face. It's apparent that handling a physical press and bigger athletic guards are two areas that Purdue needs more work. Face it, head on. Get better at it.
You can work on it and get better, but at the end of the day you still have two freshman without years of Purdue weight training going against mature bodies and so there is a physical difference. It would be like telling the Rutger guards or IU guards to dunk on Zach when there is one minute to go and no risk of losing zach...it just isn't going to happen due to the physical difference. Braden and Fletcher are not going to have teh same strength as older players...especially Fletcher.

So aggressive hand checking D with length against those two will be a problem this year and will decrease as they get older. A "zone press" has a lot to do with other members as well as Braden. That can get better, but unless the officials really let it go I'm unsure it will be the same problem as big guards hand checking in the half, but that could be wrong. Playing Maryland will have 2 of Purdue's weaknesses on display on Maryland's court and so we shall see if the freshmen have hit that freshmen wall or just a learning bit on being prepared to play the game...no matter who you are playing

You can work on it and get better, but at the end of the day you still have two freshman without years of Purdue weight training going against mature bodies and so there is a physical difference. It would be like telling the Rutger guards or IU guards to dunk on Zach when there is one minute to go and no risk of losing zach...it just isn't going to happen due to the physical difference. Braden and Fletcher are not going to have teh same strength as older players...especially Fletcher.

So aggressive hand checking D with length against those two will be a problem this year and will decrease as they get older. A "zone press" has a lot to do with other members as well as Braden. That can get better, but unless the officials really let it go I'm unsure it will be the same problem as big guards hand checking in the half, but that could be wrong. Playing Maryland will have 2 of Purdue's weaknesses on display on Maryland's court and so we shall see if the freshmen have hit that freshmen wall or just a learning bit on being prepared to play the game...no matter who you are playing
An exhaustive, accurate analysis, but that’s assuming that UMD does everything perfectly on ifs end…
I’ll be there on Thursday, hoping that this stumble in Evanston translates into a pissed-off Purdue team, looking to make a statement!

Reactions: tjreese and drewjin
An exhaustive, accurate analysis, but that’s assuming that UMD does everything perfectly on ifs end…
I’ll be there on Thursday, hoping that this stumble in Evanston translates into a pissed-off Purdue team, looking to make a statement!
I wanted to go having a daughter one hour north and a bit west, but didn't swing it...thought I just layed out some things with no predictions other than what Purdue will see. No idea how well Purdue will do...

Where were you went these Painter- coached teams evicserated WV, Duke, and Gonzaga??

Typical POS coward…
No he wasn’t. Titanidope only posts after losses. He likes to tell us all about how we should have been shopping for players in the transfer portal. He is sure there was a big, fast, PG somewhere in there had we only looked harder.

No he wasn’t. Titanidope only posts after losses. He likes to tell us all about how we should have been shopping for players in the transfer portal. He is sure there was a big, fast, PG somewhere in there had we only looked harder.
Crap. I thought RossMackey's rant was directed at me.

• Haha
Reactions: DrEss

I definitely didn't expect Fletch to play a lot this year. I thought his lack of strength was just too significant to let him be a factor. Happy I wrong, and he's proven worthy of the mintues, but he is going to get taken out by good defenders that are significantly stronger and sometimes quicker. I've said many times, the freshman "wall" is other teams figuring out the guy is for real and he no longer gets the 5th best defender guarding him. With instructions to not let him catch the ball. There's your wall.
In 20/20 hindsight I'll wonder if this team might have a higher ceiling (THIS year) with a more physical Newman starting (and hopefully developing better) and Fletch off the bench as matchups allow. JMO!

I definitely didn't expect Fletch to play a lot this year. I thought his lack of strength was just too significant to let him be a factor. Happy I wrong, and he's proven worthy of the mintues, but he is going to get taken out by good defenders that are significantly stronger and sometimes quicker. I've said many times, the freshman "wall" is other teams figuring out the guy is for real and he no longer gets the 5th best defender guarding him. With instructions to not let him catch the ball. There's your wall.
In 20/20 hindsight I'll wonder if this team might have a higher ceiling (THIS year) with a more physical Newman starting (and hopefully developing better) and Fletch off the bench as matchups allow. JMO!
First, Purdue has not had a really bad loss. All losses were close. All loses were winable games. Sure there is a lot of tape on teams and the two key players to defend well are Zach and Braden. Unfortunately many of us had high hopes for really good play from Trey and Caleb and I imagine the expectations from many exceeded the resulting views from many. Thursday will be a good gage on whether improvements in turnovers AND getting the ball across midcourt happens using less clock. All teams have some tough games to go and so Purdue is in good shape to NOT share the Big and outstanding shape to share the Big, but there needs to be improvement.

In the tourney if refs use the whistle while not hurting zach for being so big, Purdue can survive against a lot of teams. If they swallow the whistle Purdue can survive the first 3 games "if" Purdue plays solid. Get through the first 3 games into the remaining 8 teams and you need to play really well for a week to get where you want...Can you imagine...one week of playing really well if you play 3 games solid and people are talking about you... ;) Get the Big Championship since there are no promises of anything else

Just a couple weeks ago AL got blown out by 25 @ OU when OU was last in the BXII. OU currently 12-13 (2-10) and AL is now #1.

At least NW is in the top three of the B1G. We be fine. Fail, learn, grow!

**Side note - I am currently hand crafting synthetic small batches of Boilerepherine™️ to get our inventory back to early March levels. Shelf-life of this Boilerepherine™️ is 48 mos, so if you have some left from the VA Elite 8 loss in ‘19 this will be your last season to use it. Potency will still be within acceptable effectiveness levels thru April.

I am also considering adding a fleet of drones for rapid same-day Boilerepherine™️ delivery if you are within a 200 mile radius of Louisville. Depending on how this year plays out, we could be partnering w Amazon on some of their available space in West Lafayette in the summer. This will help us accommodate the high, and immediate, Northern IN demands.

Boilerepherine™️ Up! (or preferably, down!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT