ADVERTISEMENT

Unhinged

Didn't mean it that way- it just made a last minute decision super easy when you can get good seats for like $50. If I didn't already have my Sunday full I would have gone after I found out Saturday tickets were dirt cheap
Haha that was a dig on the IU board about Purdue…sorry haha. They were implying all Purdue fans are poor and nowhere near as rich as IU fans so since tickets were finally in the range that Purdue fans could afford, they bought a bunch of tickets and THATS why Mackey Northeast had a lot of fans there.

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
Haha that was a dig on the IU board about Purdue…sorry haha. They were implying all Purdue fans are poor and nowhere near as rich as IU fans so since tickets were finally in the range that Purdue fans could afford, they bought a bunch of tickets and THATS why Mackey Northeast had a lot of fans there.

Aha - missed that one lol. Yeah it makes sense a bunch of engineers, IT folks, supply chain analysts/developers, etc. are poor. But all those general studies and "Business" degrees at IU make the big $$$

Reactions: TC4THREE and z_one
Aha - missed that one lol. Yeah it makes sense a bunch of engineers, IT folks, supply chain analysts/developers, etc. are poor. But all those general studies and "Business" degrees at IU make the big $$$
Yeah they think it’s only farmers (who are actually probably richer than a lot of IU folk) go to Purdue.

Reactions: Poprudy and z_one
I just post on rare occasions when some dolt over there says something totally ridiculous. It's fun poking an irrational bear(from a distance)LOL

Don't forget all those music and journalist majors!

Oh and don't forget. Braden Smith wanted to be a Hoosier😉😂😂🤷‍♂️
Last year they wanted their NIL collective to do everything to get Edey to transfer. When Purdue signed these players, the Indinia board was full of posts ridiculing Purdue signing a bunch of nobody players, and bragging about their own 5-star players.

Last year they wanted their NIL collective to do everything to get Edey to transfer. When Purdue signed these players, the Indinia board was full of posts ridiculing Purdue signing a bunch of nobody players, and bragging about their own 5-star players.
Just assurance that CMP is way better than anyone at IU since RMK. I swear this has been the same talk for many years with no success. I love that their soul is broken by everything Purdue does/is. BOILER UP!

Yeah they think it’s only farmers (who are actually probably richer than a lot of IU folk) go to Purdue.
Does anyone have any farmland in the Carroll County vicinity? I have been getting hounded by a clean energy company named Apex. So bad they drove up to FW to drop off information to my home while I'm at work. Seems desperate to me.

Does anyone have any farmland in the Carroll County vicinity? I have been getting hounded by a clean energy company named Apex. So bad they drove up to FW to drop off information to my home while I'm at work. Seems desperate to me.

They wanting you to lease you farmland to put solar panels on it?

I'll be honest, I'm totally against it. I'm assuming the surrounding farmers would feel the same. I was just curious if anyone else has been contacted or had any information.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
What happens at the end of the lifetime of those wind turbines if the company that owns them is bankrupt? You would be bankrupted having to take them down.
I'm not sure about Wind Mills but my county has ordinances in place for solar panels.
The Company is required to have an escrow and security agreement.
The account is reviewed annually to verify there is enough cash in the account to remove and dispose of the solar panels and make the farm ground tillable again.

Reactions: boilermaker75
These can be very good deals for farmers depends on the price per acre, length of deal, renewals and some other factors. I've done a few in Indiana plus CO2 storage. How many acres you have and how close you are to a transmission line affects the price per acre.

These can be very good deals for farmers depends on the price per acre, length of deal, renewals and some other factors. I've done a few in Indiana plus CO2 storage. How many acres you have and how close you are to a transmission line affects the price per acre.
This deal is broke down in KW's not by acre, unless you are referring to turbines per acre? They have expressed there isn't anything in the area to compare what my potential's are. The information is all speculation of what it could generate and not what the area has generated. My lease is guaranteed money and has been for 13 years with some of the highest per acre in the state. Might be a safe bet to keep it the way it is....farmland.

Recently talked to two friends up in the Rensselaer area, both with school-age children. They said there are clusters of farm fields up there that have been recently converted to solar fields edge-to-edge. It sounds to me like they are a source of concern to the surrounding community because they destroy the peaceful rural vibe. They told me if you haven’t been up there recently you wouldn’t believe how much they’re overtaking the landscape.

Recently talked to two friends up in the Rensselaer area, both with school-age children. They said there are clusters of farm fields up there that have been recently converted to solar fields edge-to-edge. It sounds to me like they are a source of concern to the surrounding community because they destroy the peaceful rural vibe. They told me if you haven’t been up there recently you wouldn’t believe how much they’re overtaking the landscape.
They don't eat much and commit very little crime.
Boggles the mind that people are objecting to solar farms when the world is burning up and Indiana makes its electricity from burning coal.

Reactions: RossMackey
Boggles the mind that people are objecting to solar farms when the world is burning up and Indiana makes its electricity from burning coal.
That sounds easy to say for someone who doesn’t have to live in an affected community. It directly negatively impacts their quality of life more than the impact of burning fossil fuels, which is a problem contributed by people all over the world and cannot be solved locally regardless of the sacrifice.

"The world is burning up"?

If you don't have them in your community, it isn't fair to criticize people who have problems with windmills and solar farms.

That sounds easy to say for someone who doesn’t have to live in an affected community. It directly negatively impacts their quality of life more than the impact of burning fossil fuels, which is a problem contributed by people all over the world and cannot be solved locally regardless of the sacrifice.
I live a county over from Jasper County.
What has affected my life in the last 50 years is the invasion of the FIPS.
They move out of Illinois and into our rural areas to get out of the city. They put homes in wooded areas that were once wild life habitat and wind breaks.
They than have to have their garbage picked up, so now I have garbage trucks running up and down my rural road.
Buy your own truck and haul the garbage to the dump.
They complain about the dust from tillage of farm ground.
They complain about the smell of KFO's.
They want to stop farmers from spraying herbicides and insecticides.
They complain about the farm equipment on the roads.
When close to municipal utilities they want annexed so they don't have to worry about their own wells and septic. They haven't figured out you can't throw tampons and rubbers in the toilet when you have your own septic system.
And I bet these are the people complaining about solar panels.

Reactions: PurdueDave
I live a county over from Jasper County.
What has affected my life in the last 50 years is the invasion of the FIPS.
They move out of Illinois and into our rural areas to get out of the city. They put homes in wooded areas that were once wild life habitat and wind breaks.
They than have to have their garbage picked up, so now I have garbage trucks running up and down my rural road.
Buy your own truck and haul the garbage to the dump.
They complain about the dust from tillage of farm ground.
They complain about the smell of KFO's.
They want to stop farmers from spraying herbicides and insecticides.
They complain about the farm equipment on the roads.
When close to municipal utilities they want annexed so they don't have to worry about their own wells and septic. They haven't figured out you can't throw tampons and rubbers in the toilet when you have your own septic system.
And I bet these are the people complaining about solar panels.
The problem with solar farms is that they destroy acres of wildlife habitat.

Let me ask from the positive posters about solar farms an/or wind mills. Are you guys farmers or former farmers? I have honestly not heard one positive from farmers on this matter.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The problem with solar farms is that they destroy acres of wildlife habitat.
This belongs on the general discussion forum.
But solar farms are taking up tillable farm ground. I agree this isn't a good idea.
But I think the solar panel undergrowth is good for quail and pheasant.
It's fenced off so deer can't get in but neither can coon or opossum that eat the bird eggs.

This belongs on the general discussion forum.
But solar farms are taking up tillable farm ground. I agree this isn't a good idea.
But I think the solar panel undergrowth is good for quail and pheasant.
It's fenced off so deer can't get in but neither can coon or opossum that eat the bird eggs.
My thought is that anything that would shut out a natural balance wouldn't qualify as a nature habitat. Even without a fence, deer can't move freely in the solar farms I have seen.

My thought is that anything that would shut out a natural balance wouldn't qualify as a nature habitat. Even without a fence, deer can't move freely in the solar farms I have seen.
True but what you are missing is the solar panels are taking up crop land. Open fields in the winter and crops in the summer. The deer will still have an abundance of crops to feed on.
Years ago the Government paid farmers to put ground in, set aside, put a cover crop on farm ground and mow the cover crop annually.

This was good habitat for quail and pheasant in particular.
it was great hunting when I was a kid.

The solar panel ground will also be covered with good habitat for foul.
I personally have 80 acres contracted for solar panels. I’ll make 5x what I can make farming it.
And the contract is guaranteed for 30 years with a guaranteed yearly increase.
There is also an example escrow account required so if the contract is violated there is money to dispose of the panels and return the ground tillable.

I‘m a solar panel hypocrite. I don’t agree with taking productive farm ground, a food source,
to produce electrical energy. I also don’t agree with using a food source to produce ethanol.
I did however, for 35 years, take advantage of the price of corn increases.

Not sure why large solar farms are not put a few feet higher in the air so small livestock can graze under the solar array.....or at least lower sun short crops can be planted & harvested. Seems like with a limited amount of good land, it only makes sense to multi use.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT