ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Brunk transferring from Butler

You didn't read what I wrote. I'm saying its common knowledge at their high school that the partiers go to iu and the smart kids go to Purdue. Could just be their high school but it is what it is.
I did read what you wrote, and it's not accurate. To imply only dumb people that just want to party go to IU is simply not accurate.

There are intelligent people that go to both schools, and both schools produce individuals that get high paying jobs out of college.

As has always been the case, Purdue and IU have certain fields that they excel in.

Purdue is obviously the school you want to go to if you want engineering, Computer Science, Pharmacy, ag, or pre Vet.

IU is the better school for Business, Music, Information Science, most anything pre med. Grad school obviously has the Med school, Dental school, and law school.

You didn't read what I wrote. I'm saying its common knowledge at their high school that the partiers go to iu and the smart kids go to Purdue. Could just be their high school but it is what it is.

A gross oversimplification maybe? I have a daughter who is a junior at Cathedral in Indianapolis and I consider most of the kids who go there to be "smart". About half go to IU and about half go to Purdue. I would assume the half that choose to go to Purdue are the ones who want to pursue an engineering degree or in a science related field and the other half who choose to go to IU wish to pursue a degree that gets them into medical/dental school after they graduate or business and finance. It's not a smart/party type thing. Could just be their high school but it is what it is. See what I did there?

it's not just their HS ... Ball State has passed IU as the place to go to get a good education - I, my wife and two daughters are in HS's every day ... several different ones over a semester.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I did read what you wrote, and it's not accurate. To imply only dumb people that just want to party go to IU is simply not accurate.

There are intelligent people that go to both schools, and both schools produce individuals that get high paying jobs out of college.

As has always been the case, Purdue and IU have certain fields that they excel in.

Purdue is obviously the school you want to go to if you want engineering, Computer Science, Pharmacy, ag, or pre Vet.

IU is the better school for Business, Music, Information Science, most anything pre med. Grad school obviously has the Med school, Dental school, and law school.
I don't think these comments apply to those who want those specialties, rather to those who want to party. Schools have always carried identities and IU has always ranked high in party school lists, as has Wiscy. The problem as all parents and students know, is the peer pressure.

Might literally be the dumbest thing I've ever heard
I can try harder, or I can line 100 random HS kids up ... doesn't make their perception true. Just makes it their perception. Actually, I even know two sets of twins who both split their attendance. one to BSU and one to IU .... both of the IU students clearly state it is easier there. Now, majors etc would definitely impact and I would guess that is true in these cases.

Reactions: ChuckJr
it's not just their HS ... Ball State has passed IU as the place to go to get a good education - I, my wife and two daughters are in HS's every day ... several different ones over a semester.
I'm not even sure how to respond to this lol. Just wow.

I don't think these comments apply to those who want those specialties, rather to those who want to party. Schools have always carried identities and IU has always ranked high in party school lists, as has Wiscy. The problem as all parents and students know, is the peer pressure.
You just said Ball State provides a better education than IU. Forgive me if I dont hold your opinion on the matter in high regard.

I can try harder, or I can line 100 random HS kids up ... doesn't make their perception true. Just makes it their perception. Actually, I even know two sets of twins who both split their attendance. one to BSU and one to IU .... both of the IU students clearly state it is easier there. Now, majors etc would definitely impact and I would guess that is true in these cases.

Let me know when and where. And the 100 kids you do line up....make sure they already haven't been rejected from Purdue or Indiana.

easy - visit a HS sometime ... or talk with some counselors.
Why would I give a crap what a high school counselor thinks? As someone in the business world, I can assure you that your assertion is incorrect. No reputable company has a perception that Ball State provides a better education than IU. Unless of course you are just speaking about Education majors. In that case, your degree could come from anywhere and it would be similar.

How would one twin know that it is easier at one school vs the other when they’re only experiencing one school? Wouldn’t they need to attend both schools at the same time to know which is easier? Or is this one of those magical twin powers I sometimes read about?

How would one twin know that it is easier at one school vs the other when they’re only experiencing one school? Is this some kind of magical twin power?
Media arts . BSU is well known in Hollywood. Architecture - very highly respected. There are others, but you're a businessman, so they're moot.

Why would I give a crap what a high school counselor thinks? As someone in the business world, I can assure you that your assertion is incorrect. No reputable company has a perception that Ball State provides a better education than IU. Unless of course you are just speaking about Education majors. In that case, your degree could come from anywhere and it would be similar.
We are discussing PERCEPTIONS of HS students ... I think that has been pretty clear. Using your criteria is no relevant.

Very true. Unless you're a communications major looking to get hired in that specific field, an IU degree holds more weight than a Ball State degree every single damn day of the week and twice on Sunday. Just an overall patently dumb and untrue statement. The kids going to Ball St (for the most part not all) are the kids who couldn't get in to IU and Purdue.

And I will say this, it is getting harder for in-state kids to get into IU. IU these days is definitely trying to brand their university nationally and are accepting more and more out of state kids from the east and west coast. It's why you see such large alumni followings for IU wherever you go. This in all honesty has likely helped Ball State because 15-20 years ago, in-state kids who were shoo-ins to IU are now getting passed over for out of state kids. All about $$$.

We are discussing PERCEPTIONS of HS students ... I think that has been pretty clear. Using your criteria is no relevant.
What do the perceptions of high school students have to do with anything? The discussion was that "IU students were dumb individuals that just want to party". That's simply inaccurate. The perception of a random high school student doesn't make it true.

Perceptions change on who you ask. What 100 high school students are you polling? Are you polling 100 students who don't have the grades or any realistic shot of getting into IU or possibly even polling students who have already been rejected by IU? There is no way, assuming the student you ask has been accepted by both schools, that the perception is Ball State is a better academic school.

A gross oversimplification maybe? I have a daughter who is a junior at Cathedral in Indianapolis and I consider most of the kids who go there to be "smart". About half go to IU and about half go to Purdue. I would assume the half that choose to go to Purdue are the ones who want to pursue an engineering degree or in a science related field and the other half who choose to go to IU wish to pursue a degree that gets them into medical/dental school after they graduate or business and finance. It's not a smart/party type thing. Could just be their high school but it is what it is. See what I did there?
Was your daughter one of the 19 valedictorians? Ha ha

Don't know many junior valedictorians.
My bad - I didn't read your post closely enough. I saw Cathedral and immediately thought of my buddy's daughter who has been bragging about being the valedictorian. I just learned the other day there were 18 other valedictorians. Ha ha.

My bad - I didn't read your post closely enough. I saw Cathedral and immediately thought of my buddy's daughter who has been bragging about being the valedictorian. I just learned the other day there were 18 other valedictorians. Ha ha.

I have heard that and think they have just as many salutatorians. Might have to skip her graduation next year if they all get to speak, hehe.

I have heard that and think they have just as many salutatorians. Might have to skip her graduation next year if they all get to speak, hehe.
I wondered the same thing - which one speaks or do they all? Apparently anyone who got all A's regardless of level of courses is a valedictorian. Which is odd because a kid who takes a bunch of AP courses who maybe got one or two B's in their four years would have a much higher GPA than a kid who didn't take any AP courses but got all A's. Just a weird way to do it.

I wondered the same thing - which one speaks or do they all? Apparently anyone who got all A's regardless of level of courses is a valedictorian. Which is odd because a kid who takes a bunch of AP courses who maybe got one or two B's in their four years would have a much higher GPA than a kid who didn't take any AP courses but got all A's. Just a weird way to do it.

They have an IB program that's weighted more than the regular curriculum and all 19 students I'm guessing got straight A's all 4 years taking the same classes, thus all having the same exact and maximum GPA.

Here's their grading scale. It does note that Cathedral doesn't rank its students so you could be right in that sense.

https://resources.finalsite.net/ima...wgjby8pqlinbwmzf/CHS_2018AcademicProfile_.pdf

Hey hunkgolden; tell your kids' friends not to hang out at the college parties TwinDegrees has been attending lately. Apparently they stink.

Twin - can you list the frat houses/dorms/apartments in Bloomington you've been partying at? Wouldn't want to send kids to a lame one on a Saturday night.

:)
Umm...I'm a bit old for that. Unlike you and other IU folks, I've matured and have no need to attempt to impress my friends by how much cheap booze I can drink. And I was referring to IU losing the title of the best party school, just as they've lost being feared for athletics.

They have an IB program that's weighted more than the regular curriculum and all 19 students I'm guessing got straight A's all 4 years taking the same classes, thus all having the same exact and maximum GPA.

Here's their grading scale. It does note that Cathedral doesn't rank its students so you could be right in that sense.

https://resources.finalsite.net/ima...wgjby8pqlinbwmzf/CHS_2018AcademicProfile_.pdf
My friend's daughter was not in that program. In fact, her brother who graduated a year earlier got a C in AP Chem so she just took the regular chem. Cheapens the distinction in my opinion.

My friend's daughter was not in that program. In fact, her brother who graduated a year earlier got a C in AP Chem so she just took the regular chem. Cheapens the distinction in my opinion.

I wouldn't disagree there. My daughter is in their honors program and will be taking a few AP courses next year, but I think IB is on a completely different level. Think every person takes the exact same courses throughout their 4 years.

I'm guessing a lot of Cathedral kids go to Notre Dame.

I have a friend who moved to Fishers so his son could go to Cathedral. Thought it would help him get in ND.

Last edited:

Pretty accurate. About four or five years ago Ball toughened the admission standards to make their degrees more valuable. I have several friends on staff there, and they swear they're not getting the "marginal" kids any more.

Now if they'd do that with athletics.

I'm guessing a lot of Cathedral kids go to Notre Dame.

Get a handful every year but the connection with Cathedral and Notre Dame now isn't what it used to be. Cathedral High School was founded by the Brothers of Holy Cross in the early 1900s, the same order who ran Notre Dame. Cathedral took the mascot of the Fighting Irish (logo and everything) in 1918 when they opened. Notre Dame didn't become the Fighting Irish themselves until the late 20s and adopted the same logo and mascot. The Brothers of Holy Cross sold Cathedral in the mid-70s due to financial struggles and Cathedral never trademarked their logo. Notre Dame sued Cathedral High School a few years ago for copyright infractions as they had trademarked the logo and mascot that Cathedral originally created. It was a pretty big deal.

Pretty accurate. About four or five years ago Ball toughened the admission standards to make their degrees more valuable. I have several friends on staff there, and they swear they're not getting the "marginal" kids any more.

Where did you go to college?

It's not accurate in the slightest. The average SAT score for a person admitted to Ball State is more than 100 points lower than the average score at Indiana. The median starting salary for an IU undergrad is nearly $10k more than the median starting salary for a Ball State grad and that doesn't include the starting salaries for those students who go to IU for pre-med and pre-dental school. Your assertion is 100% unfounded and completely inaccurate.

And they toughened their admission standards because they were getting an influx of applications from in-state students who were being rejected at Indiana to make way for more and more out of state students. My niece graduated from Brebeuf two years with a 3.5 and 1240 SAT score and was deferred at Indiana and ended up at Ball State. She was thankfully able to take a semester at Ball State and was finally admitted as a transfer to Indiana.

It's not accurate in the slightest. The average SAT score for a person admitted to Ball State is more than 100 points lower than the average score at Indiana. The median starting salary for an IU undergrad is nearly $10k more than the median starting salary for a Ball State grad and that doesn't include the starting salaries for those students who go to IU for pre-med and pre-dental school. Your assertion is 100% unfounded and completely inaccurate.

And they toughened their admission standards because they were getting an influx of applications from in-state students who were being rejected at Indiana to make way for more and more out of state students. My niece graduated from Brebeuf two years with a 3.5 and 1240 SAT score and was deferred at Indiana and ended up at Ball State. She was thankfully able to take a semester at Ball State and was finally admitted as a transfer to Indiana.
Can you share the link you're citing? Would be curious to go over options with my own junior daughter. Thanks in advance!

How quickly these threads go off the rail, this was supposed to be about Joey Brunk. This is ridiculous, stay on topic, make a new thread and grow the hell up!!!!!!

Reactions: Lionheart1
When I went to Purdue in the late 70's, Ball st had a reputation as having the best Education school in the state of Indiana. This reputation was earned from local school systems, job placement, and from professors who taught at all of the Indiana Universities.

I'm not sure if that is still true or what your criteria is for evaluating a school. But all of the best educational jobs went to Ball St grads.

Ball st was also known for having a unique more hands on teaching approach in educating its future teachers.

Something that has not been discussed is Purdue's agriculture school. It is one of the best in the country with a lot of patents and accomplishments a lot of people take for granted. The same could be said about IU's optometry and music schools. People would be shocked to learn how well respected some of these lesser talked about degree programs actually are.

And from the posts on this board, Purdue students and alum party just as much as any other school. Just check out some of our game threads. A lot of very spirited posts and people.

Reactions: mathboy
How quickly these threads go off the rail, this was supposed to be about Joey Brunk. This is ridiculous, stay on topic, make a new thread and grow the hell up!!!!!![/QUOTE

Why don't you? Brink went to IU. End of discussion. And talking about him got boring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT