ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Brunk transferring from Butler

So I plugged in a random SAT score and GPA of 1240 and 3.5 respectively. Interesting, one only has a 36% of getting accepted into Purdue with those scores while a 67% of getting into iu.

Indiana is accepting a lot of out of state applicants as it is looking to boost not only its national profile but global profile. Indiana has a very liberal president who is a globalist from Australia. Out of state tuition is up to $35k compared to Purdue at $28k. Less and less in-state kids are getting rejected from Indiana in favor of out of state kids. And if you’re an alum like me, it’s pissing a lot of people off.

It's not accurate in the slightest. The average SAT score for a person admitted to Ball State is more than 100 points lower than the average score at Indiana. The median starting salary for an IU undergrad is nearly $10k more than the median starting salary for a Ball State grad and that doesn't include the starting salaries for those students who go to IU for pre-med and pre-dental school. Your assertion is 100% unfounded and completely inaccurate.
Media arts . BSU is well known in Hollywood. Architecture - very highly respected. There are others, but you're a businessman, so they're moot.
You forgot to point out that their College of Entrepreneurship is one of the best.

Indiana is accepting a lot of out of state applicants as it is looking to boost not only its national profile but global profile. Indiana has a very liberal president who is a globalist from Australia. Out of state tuition is up to $35k compared to Purdue at $28k. Less and less in-state kids are getting rejected from Indiana in favor of out of state kids. And if you’re an alum like me, it’s pissing a lot of people off.
Your statements are a bit confusing. Are you saying its easier to get into IU because they're accepting lesser qualified out of state students?

Reactions: pboiler18
So I plugged in a random SAT score and GPA of 1240 and 3.5 respectively. Interesting, one only has a 36% of getting accepted into Purdue with those scores while a 67% of getting into iu.

https://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/Purdue-SAT-scores-GPA

Purdue’s average SAT score is 1286 which isn’t that much higher than IU which dispels the notion that Indiana is the dumb/party school and Purdue is the smart school. IU and Purdue both have excellent and highly regarded majors that you can’t receive at both schools. There’s smart people that go to both schools to pursue select majors.

it's not just their HS ... Ball State has passed IU as the place to go to get a good education - I, my wife and two daughters are in HS's every day ... several different ones over a semester.

I just showed this to an assistant superintendent, who is in charge of curriculum for one of the biggest school systems in the state, and he literally laughed out loud. In terms of both actual and perceived quality, he says your post can be described with one word: asinine

Reactions: B1G_Fan
Your statements are a bit confusing. Are you saying its easier to get into IU because they're accepting lesser qualified out of state students?

Yes my fault. Meant to say more and more in-state students are getting rejected, not less and less. But that is exactly what is happening, in-state kids are being passed over for out of state kids because it’s nearly a $20k price differential.

Reactions: LLaswell
So does Brunk’s demonstrated inability to play defense or play meaningful minutes on the last place team in Big East concern any IU fans?
He had the highest offensive rating and highest PER on the team. Butler's season went downhill when Brunk started getting less minutes.

To answer your question, no I'm not concerned about our backup center's defense.

He had the highest offensive rating and highest PER on the team. Butler's season went downhill when Brunk started getting less minutes.

To answer your question, no I'm not concerned about our backup center's defense.
As a Butler grad, I find your analysis interesting. I guess we will both find out.

All you said was his inability to play D. I figured there would be more to it than that.
He has zero lateral quickness. Doesn’t understand help defense. Can’t rebound. Have you ever watched him play?

By all accounts he’s a good kid who went through a terrible personal tragedy. But he couldn’t break into the lineup that could’ve really used him. I do think he could be a serviceable backup. But on a team trying to make the NCAA for the first time forever, I’m not holding my breath.

He has zero lateral quickness. Doesn’t understand help defense. Can’t rebound. Have you ever watched him play?

By all accounts he’s a good kid who went through a terrible personal tragedy. But he couldn’t break into the lineup that could’ve really used him. I do think he could be a serviceable backup. But on a team trying to make the NCAA for the first time forever, I’m not holding my breath.
I have seen him play many times. He's very good on the offensive end. Archie has show he can coach defense (offense is still a work in progress).

Not sure what you mean by a team trying to make an NCAA tournament for the first time. However, I believe he will be a very serviceable backup to Deron Davis. I expect him to average about what he did this year at Butler.

In other words, the scouting report says he might be a little more athletic than Tacos Carroll ;)

Reactions: mathboy

I am glad I got into Purdue when I did, because I would not have been accepted with the current standards. I made it out in four years, so I am glad they dipped down and took a chance on me and they have taken plenty of my money. Maybe clerical errors were more common back then.

Yes my fault. Meant to say more and more in-state students are getting rejected, not less and less. But that is exactly what is happening, in-state kids are being passed over for out of state kids because it’s nearly a $20k price differential.
That's the real reason. Cordova at Purdue did the same thing. Students were referred to as RGUs - revenue-generating units. If you want to maximize cash flow, bring in the higher RGUs.

IU has almost 58% in-state enrollment.

Purdue has 52% in-state enrollment.

It’s an apples to oranges comparison.

IU is the flagship, brand name public state school. It has the state name in the name of the university. Purdue has a world renowned engineering school that has attracted people from across the world and has for a long time.

I was just talking to my folks and in-laws about this at Easter. All went to IU in the late 60s/early 70s and described IU as being nearly 80% in-state kids. Hell, when I went there in the mid-90s that number was north of 70%. It’s rapidly declining and has been for the last 10-15 years, and there’s a reason for it. $$$$

Last edited:
It’s an apples to oranges comparison.

IU is the flagship, brand name public state school. It has the state name in the name of the university. Purdue has a world renowned engineering school that has attracted people from across the world and has for a long time.

I was just talking to my folks and in-laws about this at Easter. All went to IU in the late 60s/early 70s and described IU as being nearly 80% in-state kids. Hell, when I went there in the mid-90s that number was north of 70%. It’s rapidly declining and has been for the last 10-15 years, and there’s a reason for it. $$$$

eh?

The whole conversation has been about Purdue and IU. Enrollment... tuition... GPA/SAT.

Of course it's a comparison.

You noted that IU's in-state enrollment was coming down, and I compared it to Purdue. You might not like the comparison, but it is what it is.

Yes, Purdue's brand is more internationally recognized.

LOL... many IU fans don't like to admit that.

Progress..... !

eh?

The whole conversation has been about Purdue and IU. Enrollment... tuition... GPA/SAT.

Of course it's a comparison.

You noted that IU's in-state enrollment was coming down, and I compared it to Purdue. You might not like the comparison, but it is what it is.

Yes, Purdue's brand is more internationally recognized.

LOL... many IU fans don't like to admit that.

Progress..... !

Purdue and IU have almost identical enrollments and admission standards. Average SAT score for a Purdue student is 1280 and Indiana 1246. Purdue has a much lesser acceptance rate because of their engineering school. Purdue received almost 20k more applications than Indiana did for the fall of 2018 and I'm guessing the majority of those were for kids applying in hopes to get into the engineering school.

It is a comparison, your right, but the name brand, flagship public university of the state shouldn't (at least in my opinion) have a nearly equal ratio between in-state/out of state students. It wasn't ever that way until about 10-15 years ago. IU is not only deferring, but outright rejecting in-state kids in favor of out of state kids. That's why Indiana's acceptance rate is so high right now, they're willing to take as many out of state kids as possible for $$$.

Purdue and IU have almost identical enrollments and admission standards. Average SAT score for a Purdue student is 1280 and Indiana 1246. Purdue has a much lesser acceptance rate because of their engineering school. Purdue received almost 20k more applications than Indiana did for the fall of 2018 and I'm guessing the majority of those were for kids applying in hopes to get into the engineering school.

It is a comparison, your right, but the name brand, flagship public university of the state shouldn't (at least in my opinion) have a nearly equal ratio between in-state/out of state students. It wasn't ever that way until about 10-15 years ago. IU is not only deferring, but outright rejecting in-state kids in favor of out of state kids. That's why Indiana's acceptance rate is so high right now, they're willing to take as many out of state kids as possible for $$$.

Okay, we get it. You're grinding for IU.

There's nothing written (or implied) that one state school would/should have any different ratio than the other. Other than the fact they're run by different administrations.

Purdue's engineering school is a part of their academics. You don't separate out one (significant) program to strengthen your position.

Long before I became a Purdue guy it was well recognized that it was easier to get in IU than Purdue. Yes, you can twist yourself around to try to find ways to "yeah, but" the conversation.

It still is what it is.

Okay, we get it. You're grinding for IU.

There's nothing written (or implied) that one state school would/should have any different ratio than the other. Other than the fact they're run by different administrations.

Purdue's engineering school is a part of their academics. You don't separate out one (significant) program to strengthen your position.

Long before I became a Purdue guy it was well recognized that it was easier to get in IU than Purdue. Yes, you can twist yourself around to try to find ways to "yeah, but" the conversation.

It still is what it is.

Where did I ever say it was easier to get into Purdue than IU? You’re making things up. It’s harder to get into Purdue than it is IU by virtue of Purdue’s engineering school and the 20k more applications a year Purdue receives. You can be a lot more selective the more applicants you get. But the admission standards for Purdue are only marginally tougher than IU’s admission standard because Purdue can only accept X amount of engineering students a year.

It’s hard to have a conversation when you’re persistently putting words into other people’s mouths.

Where did I ever say it was easier to get into Purdue than IU? You’re making things up. It’s harder to get into Purdue than it is IU by virtue of Purdue’s engineering school and the 20k more applications a year Purdue receives. You can be a lot more selective the more applicants you get. But the admission standards for Purdue are only marginally tougher than IU’s admission standard because Purdue can only accept X amount of engineering students a year.

It’s hard to have a conversation when you’re persistently putting words into other people’s mouths.

I'm not making up anything.

The very sources that gave you the SAT statistics you wanted to lean on earlier also shows the admission statistics. You chose not to share those numbers.

What's more, Purdue's engineering school is a part of PURDUE. You don't "yeah, but.. Purdue Engineering" as a way to cover for IU.

It is harder to get into Purdue than IU.

Okay.

We've established it's easier to get into IU than Purdue.
Do you really need to educate this guy? I figured out it is a losing proposition. It seems like he just want to argue IU stuff on this board. He probably has a bet going with Courtsense or Jimbo about how many threads into which he can post something about IU.

Reactions: Purdue85
Do you really need to educate this guy? I figured out it is a losing proposition. It seems like he just want to argue IU stuff on this board. He probably has a bet going with Courtsense or Jimbo about how many threads into which he can post something about IU.

You realize that 95% of the threads I post on in here are already about IU or have turned into threads about IU? You do know that right?

How would you know that unless you are obsessing over every post here? Get some help with your obsession, it isn't healthy.

Reading a free forum is not obsessive. Commenting the same thing over and over as you continuously do however is. I know you like trying to be the voice of reason on here, but nobody cares.

I saw the title of this thread for the 100th time and something struck me. I'm old enough to remember when Butler fans used to be excited when a player at IU was unhappy and transferred to their school.

How times have changed.
Short list. Austin Etherington a few years back is the only one in history Butler's gotten from IU. While he became a plus for the program, fans excited about his transfer were a short list also.

Short list. Austin Etherington a few years back is the only one in history Butler's gotten from IU. While he became a plus for the program, fans excited about his transfer were a short list also.
You are missing the point. Now, how many players transferred from Butler to IU that the IU fanbase got excited about? And please don't tell us the fanbase isn't excited. We can read.

Reactions: BBG
I saw the title of this thread for the 100th time and something struck me. I'm old enough to remember when Butler fans used to be excited when a player at IU was unhappy and transferred to their school.

How times have changed.
You’re old enough to remember when IU was the better basketball program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT