ADVERTISEMENT

It's begun

I remember Al McGuire hosting an NBC (I think) special before the 1987-88 season where he picked Purdue to win it all. I forget what our initial AP ranking was that year, but it was the year in which I had the highest hopes (even up to the dreaded sweet 16 matchup against KSU). We really had a great opportunity to win it all that year. The 2023-24 team will be deeper and hopefully the result will be different this time.

I remember Al McGuire hosting an NBC (I think) special before the 1987-88 season where he picked Purdue to win it all. I forget what our initial AP ranking was that year, but it was the year in which I had the highest hopes (even up to the dreaded sweet 16 matchup against KSU). We really had a great opportunity to win it all that year. The 2023-24 team will be deeper and hopefully the result will be different this time.
Man I KNEW that team was going to win it all, or at least play Oklahoma in the final. Toughest sports viewing loss of my life.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
That was an interesting year. Gene tried running with that team thinking he had the firepower and needed more possessions at the start. Purdue barely got by Arkansas Little Rock (score was in the 90s I think) and then Johnny Orr beat Purdue with Iowa State. Gene then slowed it down a bit. I think Purdue beat KSU around 20 the first game. KSU played a matchup zone and Gene ran Flex against it. Flex was very popular in the 80s. In the tourney KSU played man and as we all remember Mitch hit a bank shot for 3 dead on and Everette uncharacteristically dribbled off his leg. Almost a decade earlier in the 1979 NIT final JoeBarry was getting hacked and sent to the FT line where he struggled and likewise Butch Carter hits a long shot that I think banked in as well.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
That was an interesting year. Gene tried running with that team thinking he had the firepower and needed more possessions at the start. Purdue barely got by Arkansas Little Rock (score was in the 90s I think) and then Johnny Orr beat Purdue with Iowa State. Gene then slowed it down a bit. I think Purdue beat KSU around 20 the first game. KSU played a matchup zone and Gene ran Flex against it. Flex was very popular in the 80s. In the tourney KSU played man and as we all remember Mitch hit a bank shot for 3 dead on and Everette uncharacteristically dribbled off his leg. Almost a decade earlier in the 1979 NIT final JoeBarry was getting hacked and sent to the FT line where he struggled and likewise Butch Carter hits a long shot that I think banked in as well.
yea Richmond hit that shot but wasn't it a guy named Wise that put up big points for them unexeptectantly

I remember Purdue having a large lead at half time.

True, 9 point lead. After a 43 point half.,,......followed by a woeful, hard to watch 27 point half. Yep, 27 points! That's what led to the loss. Can't have that type of production and expect to move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese

yea Richmond hit that shot but wasn't it a guy named Wise that put up big points for them unexeptectantly

It was Willie Scott - 17 points, and 5-5 from deep.....seemed like all of them were from really deep.

I remember Purdue having a large lead at half time.

Yes.....43-34, and it seemed larger than that......worst thing for Purdue was having to stop @ half-time. And to TJ's point, Purdue had beaten Kansas State early in the season 101-72, although it was in Mackey Arena.

Man I KNEW that team was going to win it all, or at least play Oklahoma in the final. Toughest sports viewing loss of my life.

Yes - unfortunately, the singular most disappointing Purdue sporting event I have witnessed.....partly because it was one of the few times to this day it appeared the most certain......keep in mind, the season before Purdue was top-5 for most of the season until it came crashing down at the very end of the regular season in Ann Arbor, and the Boilers fell from a likely top-seed to a #3......they lost only one key player, Doug Lee and were highly touted all year long, although they missed out on reaching the #1-ranking.

So, for Purdue faithful (and especially those gals and guys getting up there), few words evoke such strong emotions when uttered.......as "The Silverdome."

Others have relayed their tales in the past, and New Pal and Smokestack stated it above.....for which I can agree and empathize. For a larger purpose, I will briefly summarize my adventure, and I ask indulgence from the board from those who have heard this before.

I (along with three good friends and fellow alums) witnessed it first-hand.....1988 Midwest Regional @ the Pontiac Silverdome. Certainly one of Gene Keady's best Purdue teams and senior-laden. A large Purdue faithful contingent was present and ready to root on the Boilers to the next step toward the Final Four against Kansas State and Mitch Richmond. Mind you, Purdue had defeated Kansas State 101-72 back in December in Mackey Arena.

Purdue got rolling early off to a 10-0 lead, and the Purdue section was going bonkers. As a precursor of things to come, as my one friend and I were cheering and excited, we look over and our other friend (who was sitting next to his girlfriend) was in a heated exchange with an older gentleman in the row behind....it got to the point where we had to step in and cool things down (over a misunderstanding from standing up).....just crazy. Well, it just went downhill from there.....we all know the rest.....half-time was the worst thing for the Boilers.....they lost the lead and control of the game in the first stages of the second half.....Mitch Richmond and Scott got hot......and oh well.....even in the last minute, I thought Purdue would prevail, but two costly turnovers.....and what looked like a promising season and a possibility for a Purdue NCAA Championship ended suddenly. It was a long drive back to Fort Wayne to drop my buddy off.....no reason to worry about Sunday's game now. I didn't even stay over.....just drove down to Kentucky to visit my parents, who were not huge sports enthusiasts but followed Purdue a little through me.

Even though it was a bitter defeat for Purdue.....it's just a game for us spectators, even if it's our Alma Mater. As time goes by, you look at things a little differently, and even at the time, I was more disappointed for Coach Keady and the players.....they worked hard all year......represented the University well.....you'd like to see them get to experience that high level of success.....but hey, life can deal you adversity and not seem fair. I'm still glad I got to go to the NCAA Tournament that year and experience it with good friends.....Purdue win or loss.

With Gene Keady going into the hall of fame this year, it puts another different perspective on any one singular event.

This current Purdue team has a tremendous opportunity, as I am sure that Matt Painter has reminded them.....especially with the way last season unfolded. Now, does Purdue and Matt Painter have a lot of doubters given the recent NCAA tournament performances? Oh, you better believe it. Will they prevail? One never knows.....and expectations can be a heavy weight at times.....with life's travels, and its twists and turns......embrace the opportunity, the challenge, and the adversity, and let the chips fall where they may......

Enjoy the season and watching them develop....no matter where it leads and.....we shall see if the final result can finally match some's expectations.....

In the meantime, Boiler Up, my friends......and prepare for another wild ride......

f8293cdd-0c65-4b5d-baee-9b1507fdcf01_text.gif

Last edited:
It was Willie Scott - 17 points, and 5-5 from deep.....seemed like all of them were from really deep.

Yes.....43-34, and it seemed larger than that......worst thing for Purdue was having to stop @ half-time. And to TJ's point, Purdue had beaten Kansas State early in the season 101-72, although it was in Mackey Arena.

Yes - unfortunately, the singular most disappointing Purdue sporting event I have witnessed.....partly because it was one of the few times to this day it appeared the most certain......keep in mind, the season before Purdue was top-5 for most of the season until it came crashing down at the very end of the regular season in Ann Arbor, and the Boilers fell from a likely top-seed to a #3......they lost only one key player, Doug Lee and were highly touted all year long, although they missed out on reaching the #1-ranking.

So, for Purdue faithful (and especially those gals and guys getting up there), few words evoke such strong emotions when uttered.......as "The Silverdome."

Others have relayed their tales in the past, and New Pal and Smokestack stated it above.....for which I can agree and empathize. For a larger purpose, I will briefly summarize my adventure, and I ask indulgence from the board from those who have heard this before.

I (along with three good friends and fellow alums) witnessed it first-hand.....1988 Midwest Regional @ the Pontiac Silverdome. Certainly one of Gene Keady's best Purdue teams and senior-laden. A large Purdue faithful contingent was present and ready to root on the Boilers to the next step toward the Final Four against Kansas State and Mitch Richmond. Mind you, Purdue had defeated Kansas State 101-72 back in December in Mackey Arena.

Purdue got rolling early off to a 10-0 lead, and the Purdue section was going bonkers. As a precursor of things to come, as my one friend and I were cheering and excited, we look over and our other friend (who was sitting next to his girlfriend) was in a heated exchange with an older gentleman in the row behind....it got to the point where we had to step in and cool things down (over a misunderstanding from standing up).....just crazy. Well, it just went downhill from there.....we all know the rest.....half-time was the worst thing for the Boilers.....they lost the lead and control of the game in the first stages of the second half.....Mitch Richmond and Scott got hot......and oh well.....even in the last minute, I thought Purdue would prevail, but two costly turnovers.....and what looked like a promising season and a possibility for a Purdue NCAA Championship ended suddenly. It was a long drive back to Fort Wayne to drop my buddy off.....no reason to worry about Sunday's game now. I didn't even stay over.....just drove down to Kentucky to visit my parents, who were not huge sports enthusiasts but followed Purdue a little through me.

Even though it was a bitter defeat for Purdue.....it's just a game for us spectators, even if it's our Alma Mater. As time goes by, you look at things a little differently, and even at the time, I was more disappointed for Coach Keady and the players.....they worked hard all year......represented the University well.....you'd like to see them get to experience that high level of success.....but hey, life can deal you adversity and not seem fair. I'm still glad I got to go to the NCAA Tournament that year and experience it with good friends.....Purdue win or loss.

With Gene Keady going into the hall of fame this year, it puts another different perspective on any one singular event.

This current Purdue team has a tremendous opportunity, as I am sure that Matt Painter has reminded them.....especially with the way last season unfolded. Now, does Purdue and Matt Painter have a lot of doubters given the recent NCAA tournament performances? Oh, you better believe it. Will they prevail? One never knows.....and expectations can be a heavy weight at times.....with life's travels, and its twists and turns......embrace the opportunity, the challenge, and the adversity, and let the chips fall where they may......

Enjoy the season and watching them develop....no matter where it leads and.....we shall see if the final result can finally match some's expectations.....

In the meantime, Boiler Up, my friends......and prepare for another wild ride......

Ah, thanks for that booster shot of Boilerephrine Tex !!

Outstanding! Particularly liked, "Even though it was a bitter defeat for Purdue.....it's just a game for us spectators, even if it's our Alma Mater. As time goes by, you look at things a little differently, and even at the time, I was more disappointed for Coach Keady and the players.....they worked hard all year......represented the University well.....you'd like to see them get to experience that high level of success.....but hey, life can deal you adversity and not seem fair.

Those are always my thoughts...

Reactions: Zaphod_B
thanx Tex, I was in the ball park, that's the guy he was 5 - 5

Regardless of the nice half by KSU, it was Purdue offensive collapse in H2 that lost the game. 27 point halves nearly always open the door for defeat.....and unfortunately did again that day.

Reactions: Boilermb
Mine too since the Refs totally blew the VA FT shooter stepping over the line before the ball was even 4 ft from touching the rim! That game was stolen from us!
I was at the game and I have yet to be able to force myself to go back and watch it, even though I still have it on my DVR.

Mine too since the Refs totally blew the VA FT shooter stepping over the line before the ball was even 4 ft from touching the rim! That game was stolen from us!
if cline hits both free throws we are up 3 and it’s a different scenario for Ty Jerome. If we just get that damn rebound and if not allow it to get tipped back. We also had a chance to win in OT and didn’t get that done…pain I know. But a lot of plays in the game besides that one call that could have been different and gone in or against our favor.

Reactions: Schnelk
if cline hits both free throws we are up 3 and it’s a different scenario for Ty Jerome. If we just get that damn rebound and if not allow it to get tipped back. We also had a chance to win in OT and didn’t get that done…pain I know. But a lot of plays in the game besides that one call that could have been different and gone in or against our favor.
Every missed RB or FT hurt, they just hurt more late in the game at crucial times. The pressure these kids feel must be unbelievable.
Edwards needing to hit two FT in a row to tie TN in the S16 game (after missing the first).

I remember this like yesterday. My freshman year at Purdue. Riding high all year and then boom...Mitch Richmond. We destroyed the corner of SW Tarkington after that loss in anger. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT