ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah in the portal

What percentage of the teams points, rebounds and assists did those 3 provide tho? Double edged sword.

Dang. Ain’t got a song for that. No rhyme or reason for so many miscues, except they were always the focal points for passes for points. And credit Trevion for leading everyone in assists (112), just ahead of Sasha (111) and Jaden (110). Would’ve liked a few less meant to impress and a lot more 3-D looks by all -- drive, dish, dunk. Especially last Friday.

Also, you couldn't play the 3 of them at the same time ever. Very strange roster construction. We won 29 games so obviously there was a lot of good. But still hard to not have your best 3 on the floor the majority of the time.
Just for the record "I don't know that you couldn't play them at the same time, but Purdue didn't" and I understand never worrying about losing both 5s in a game. Also, Purdue never benefitted from Jaden as high as he will go in the draft. Purdue needed him less athletic this year and maybe where he was next year as far as his athletic ability. What nobody has mentioned that I've seen is the juggling act of Jaden making mistakes with the media pomotion of Purdue, should another gifted guard/wing want to come to Purdue. He can be the next one... ;)

I thought Thompson had a role on this team although a niche one, ie come off the bench and hit a couple of 3s.
There's plenty of D1 players who can do that will also not being a massive defensive liability.
It's tough to compete at this level when you're short, skinny, not very quick.

Just for the record "I don't know that you couldn't play them at the same time, but Purdue didn't" and I understand never worrying about losing both 5s in a game. Also, Purdue never benefitted from Jaden as high as he will go in the draft. Purdue needed him less athletic this year and maybe where he was next year as far as his athletic ability. What nobody has mentioned that I've seen is the juggling act of Jaden making mistakes with the media pomotion of Purdue, should another gifted guard/wing want to come to Purdue. He can be the next one... ;)
You may not know it but CMP did. How many minutes were the 3 of them on the floor together the whole season? If CMP thought there was any prayer they would be effective together he would have done it, even in short stints. That was my point of strange roster construction. The person that constructed the roster didn't think his 3 best players could play together.

Now if you mean we would have had to change some basic offensive or defensive philosophies to have them on the floor together, that is a whole different conversation.

I think most underestimate how hard it is to recruit good guards. Every team wants the best and for whatever reasons, most aren't attracted to Purdue.
Count me in that group then. I see lots of teams with good guard play, including a lot of mid majors with a fraction of our recruiting budget and facilities.
Penn St just in the last 4-5 years recruited Myreon Jones, Izaiah Brockington, Josh Reaves, Jamari Wheeler, Rasir Bolton, Myles Dread, and Jalen Pickett. That totally blows our guard recruiting out of the water in that same time period outside of Carsen and Jaden. Maybe we just aren't looking in the right places.

Athletic big men who have good hands and can move their feet are the rare ones.

Reactions: DAG10
Dang. Ain’t got a song for that. No rhyme or reason for so many miscues, except they were always the focal points for passes for points. And credit Trevion for leading everyone in assists (112), just ahead of Sasha (111) and Jaden (110). Would’ve liked a few less meant to impress and a lot more 3-D looks by all -- drive, dish, dunk. Especially last Friday.
I am thinking something with the tune of “Streets of Philadelphia” by Springsteen?

IT didn’t fail Purdue. Purdue and Painter failed him by not utilizing his skills.

something not being talked about. I suspect this will have a trickle effect on his brother
No, it won’t. GBI already talked about this. This was a mutual decision between IT, his parents, and Painter. It’s best for all involved.

Count me in that group then. I see lots of teams with good guard play, including a lot of mid majors with a fraction of our recruiting budget and facilities.
Penn St just in the last 4-5 years recruited Myreon Jones, Izaiah Brockington, Josh Reaves, Jamari Wheeler, Rasir Bolton, Myles Dread, and Jalen Pickett. That totally blows our guard recruiting out of the water in that same time period outside of Carsen and Jaden. Maybe we just aren't looking in the right places.

I agree 100%. There's a lot more skilled guards than skilled bigs. Painter might need to cast a wider net to find those types of guards (he got CE from TX...) Maybe someone needs to be recruiting NY and the east coast a little harder. Outside of Ivey, I'm having trouble coming up with our last really impactful ball handling guard from IN.

No, it won’t. GBI already talked about this. This was a mutual decision between IT, his parents, and Painter. It’s best for all involved.
what skills did IT have that Painter didn't utilize? He's a spot up 3 pt shooter. That's it. He literally does nothing else on offense and gets targeted on defense.

When IT was first recruited out of high school the experts here said he was a shooting guard in high school who could also handle the ball. He was not a pg! Painter tried to transform him into a pg that could shoot because he already had plenty of shooting guards.
Painter tried to make IT something he was not. He did the same with Hunter! Maybe one day Painter will recruit and sign an elite pg rather than another shooter.
Sorry, but that is not the way I remember the recruitment of Isaiah. Let me offer a small correction to your statements. IT was always going to play the role he played in high school, POINT GUARD. Painter didn't try to make him into anything different than what he was playing when recruited. Take a look at any of the recruiting serves. He was ranked in the 200's as a college player when recruited, probably because of his size.

I think all you are attempting to do is to pile on Painter. You are poorly trying to add one more sin to Painter's list, which is completely unnecessary.

Now, had you referenced Eric Hunter being a 2-guard converted to a PG, then I would have agreed with you. EHJ picked up the PG role because he was needed. I would say his transformation was successful and that Painter did a great job converting him. However, that is not what you said.

:cool:

Wisdom

I agree 100%. There's a lot more skilled guards than skilled bigs. Painter might need to cast a wider net to find those types of guards (he got CE from TX...) Maybe someone needs to be recruiting NY and the east coast a little harder. Outside of Ivey, I'm having trouble coming up with our last really impactful ball handling guard from IN.
After the last few seasons I am a bit down on guards from Big Ten country in general including Indiana. The top instate guards generally haven't been taking their games to the next level lately.

CJ Walker, Eron Gordon, Phinisee, Scruggs, Hunter, Thompson, Newman, Franklin, Landers, Leal, Galloway... meh

what skills did IT have that Painter didn't utilize? He's a spot up 3 pt shooter. That's it. He literally does nothing else on offense and gets targeted on defense.
He didn’t turn the ball over (that much). He was a good player in HS. Unfortunately, it didn’t translate to the BIG. His biggest downfall was his size. He’s 6’1” and rail thin at 160 lb. Bigger guards manhandle him and some post him up.

Bashing a player because he did not live up to others expectations gets really old. I doubt there is anyone on this board that could stay on the court with him on their best day.

And maybe IT really wants to be on a national champion and realizes that this is not the school that is gonna get it done for him. How about that?

Best wishes to him.

He didn’t turn the ball over (that much). He was a good player in HS. Unfortunately, it didn’t translate to the BIG. His biggest downfall was his size. He’s 6’1” and rail thin at 160 lb. Bigger guards manhandle him and some post him up.
I wish IT nothing but the best. He got more than his fair share of abuse on here. Some of this “fanbase” is pathetic.

I called it when he signed and said the same about Sasha! To the dismay of many here who resorted to being defensive and name calling. This team has badly needed a pg to run our team and that pg needs to also be able to play defense and be over 6 feet tall. Instead of going after more 5 star centers, it’s way past time we recruited and signed an actual point guard rather than another shooter! Rather than shooters, we badly need somebody who can handle the ball and also handle a press. IT was never that player
Anyone who follows recruiting knows that Painter recruits point guards very hard every year. Signing them is another question.

And what 5 star centers did he get?

Etwaun? Over a decade ago.

You may not know it but CMP did. How many minutes were the 3 of them on the floor together the whole season? If CMP thought there was any prayer they would be effective together he would have done it, even in short stints. That was my point of strange roster construction. The person that constructed the roster didn't think his 3 best players could play together.

Now if you mean we would have had to change some basic offensive or defensive philosophies to have them on the floor together, that is a whole different conversation.
He played them in last second situations and maybe one or two possessions. There is nothing I saw that said they couldn't play together for 5 minutes or maybe longer against certain teams...other than Matt liked having a fresh 5 that could always play. Matt values his 5s and that is shown as well by him doubling the other teams five as another method to keep the fouls away from Purdue's 5s. So I can see from an energy, from a foul and from a different look situation from the 5s reasons why Matt chose not to play the two together very much and it gets validated by the doubling of other post players to prevent fouls to Purdue's fives as well.

However, I'm fine with that. Just because Matt didn't play them together and I thought there were a few minutes to do such doesn't mean Matt is wrong. However, I think the reasons for not playing them together may be different than a lot of forum participants.

I am thinking something with the tune of “Streets of Philadelphia” by Springsteen?

That’d work, or maybe more Jimi Hendrix … using his words …

“Cross-town Traffic … so hard to get through to you.” (Trevion)
“Cross-town Traffic … I don’t need to run over you.” (Zach)
“Cross-town Traffic … all you do is slow me down.” (Jaden)
“And I’m trying … to get on the other side of town.” (Isaiah)

And still … “Man-ek De-pression.” (Boiler Nation)

I called it when he signed and said the same about Sasha! To the dismay of many here who resorted to being defensive and name calling. This team has badly needed a pg to run our team and that pg needs to also be able to play defense and be over 6 feet tall. Instead of going after more 5 star centers, it’s way past time we recruited and signed an actual point guard rather than another shooter! Rather than shooters, we badly need somebody who can handle the ball and also handle a press. IT was never that player
How are 5-star centers and 6"+ point guards who can play defense -- shoot well, even -- mutually exclusive? I will take one (or more) of each.

Now we just have to get them ...

Reactions: Zaphod_B

and Sam Sessoms

Actually, he turned the ball over a lot against pressure D. The other reason his ATO ratio was decent is because all he did was dump the ball into the post, he wasn’t creating or getting guys open.
and, Every P5 player was a good/great player in HS.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
He played them in last second situations and maybe one or two possessions. There is nothing I saw that said they couldn't play together for 5 minutes or maybe longer against certain teams...other than Matt liked having a fresh 5 that could always play. Matt values his 5s and that is shown as well by him doubling the other teams five as another method to keep the fouls away from Purdue's 5s. So I can see from an energy, from a foul and from a different look situation from the 5s reasons why Matt chose not to play the two together very much and it gets validated by the doubling of other post players to prevent fouls to Purdue's fives as well.

However, I'm fine with that. Just because Matt didn't play them together and I thought there were a few minutes to do such doesn't mean Matt is wrong. However, I think the reasons for not playing them together may be different than a lot of forum participants.
C'mon TJ, he played them together for what, 5 minutes the whole season? Let's just quit dancing around it. It doesn't matter whether you and I think they could play together. The point is the guy that constructed the roster didn't think they could play together. If he did there were so many times that he could have done it. Foul trouble had nothing to do with it in the 2nd half of games when each of them had 3 or less, which was most of the time.

The point is, you had a roster where your 3 best players were on the floor at the same time for 5 minutes the whole season. Name another team where that was the case. I sure can't think of one ever. It's not about the 2 bigs playing together, that's a whole different discussion. The point I'm trying to make is the roster was not constructed well if one of your best players is always on the bench.

Reactions: tjreese
C'mon TJ, he played them together for what, 5 minutes the whole season? Let's just quit dancing around it. It doesn't matter whether you and I think they could play together. The point is the guy that constructed the roster didn't think they could play together. If he did there were so many times that he could have done it. Foul trouble had nothing to do with it in the 2nd half of games when each of them had 3 or less, which was most of the time.

The point is, you had a roster where your 3 best players were on the floor at the same time for 5 minutes the whole season. Name another team where that was the case. I sure can't think of one ever. It's not about the 2 bigs playing together, that's a whole different discussion. The point I'm trying to make is the roster was not constructed well if one of your best players is always on the bench.
I’m sure he never thought Edey would be 1 of our 3 best players in his sophomore year.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT