ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah in the portal

For sure. He WAS going to get prime time minutes here where his brother played and now coaches and his family has 10 years of personal experience with. And there is no one else that he looks at thinks "that guy is getting all the minutes" ala Jayden this year.
He seems to get along well with all his teammates and by all accounts is a good student and person.
So other than personal reasons that we'll likely never know what does that leave?

Certainly can't be that our "fans" drove him away? That our "internet coaches" screaming "he's not good enough" ENDLESSLY damaged his self esteem and how he feels about himself?
F'ing idiots, every one of you that ever dissed this kid or any kid working his ass off to ENTERTAIN US.

I hope to hell that the reason(s) come out and that it's not what it looks like.
Yeah, it was for sure the fans…. No way it could have been painter giving him a talk that he’s looking to move in a different direction and minutes would have been very hard to come by next season.

Yeah, it was for sure the fans…. No way it could have been painter giving him a talk that he’s looking to move in a different direction and minutes would have been very hard to come by next season.
Painter did not have that talk with him before the decision was made...it was a multitude of things no doubt, but, it was not a conversation with Painter after the season had ended last week.

Never mind the complete obvious...at the moment, there is literally NOBODY to take any minutes next season.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Painter did not have that talk with him before the decision was made...it was a multitude of things no doubt, but, it was not a conversation with Painter after the season had ended last week.

Never mind the complete obvious...at the moment, there is literally NOBODY to take any minutes next season.
Also completely obvious is the fact that painter would be pursuing guards in the portal to play over Thompson. Blaming it solely on the fans is beyond idiotic.

Also completely obvious is the fact that painter would be pursuing guards in the portal to play over Thompson. Blaming it solely on the fans is beyond idiotic.
I don't disagree...entirely. Fans did not lead him to reaching his decision ultimately, and, were likely the least of factors, if even a factor...but, Painter absolutely did not encourage him to not return, never mind within 2 days of returning from Philadelphia.

For sure. He WAS going to get prime time minutes here where his brother played and now coaches and his family has 10 years of personal experience with. And there is no one else that he looks at thinks "that guy is getting all the minutes" ala Jayden this year.
He seems to get along well with all his teammates and by all accounts is a good student and person.
So other than personal reasons that we'll likely never know what does that leave?

Certainly can't be that our "fans" drove him away? That our "internet coaches" screaming "he's not good enough" ENDLESSLY damaged his self esteem and how he feels about himself?
F'ing idiots, every one of you that ever dissed this kid or any kid working his ass off to ENTERTAIN US.

I hope to hell that the reason(s) come out and that it's not what it looks like.
Just for clarification: are you seriously saying that IT May have read some things on the internet and that impacted his decision to leave?
I can’t tell of you’re serious or not.

Reactions: Boilerscuz
How far have the Gophers fallen to be competing with Northern Kentucky for recruits
Not really fair...and, a credit as well to Northern Kentucky for that matter.

I mean, easy to say that regarding Minnesota, but, just as easy for someone to take an equally unfair shot at Purdue and point out that its starting PG for more than half the year may be the starting PG at Northern Kentucky...as if that is some reflection of Purdue having "fallen."

If Isaiah was good enough to start at Purdue, there is no reason to believe as a Minnesota coach or fan that he would not be able to play there.

It stands to reason that his role, and, what he does ultimately, might be different at Minnesota than at Northern Kentucky, and, that is a consideration certainly as well.

I think Isaiah heard from upwards of 40 different programs...he narrowed it to 5...there were other P5 schools involved...so, to just single out Minnesota is not fair...there were other P5s that did not even make his list of 5...does that reflect on them that they could not even make his list ahead of Northern Kentucky?

I mean, easy to say that regarding Minnesota, but, just as easy for someone to take an equally unfair shot at Purdue and point out that its starting PG for more than half the year may be the starting PG at Northern Kentucky...as if that is some reflection of Purdue having "fallen."

If Isaiah was good enough to start at Purdue, there is no reason to believe as a Minnesota coach or fan that he would not be able to play there.

It stands to reason that his role, and, what he does ultimately, might be different at Minnesota than at Northern Kentucky, and, that is a consideration certainly as well.

I think Isaiah heard from upwards of 40 different programs...he narrowed it to 5...there were other P5 schools involved...so, to just single out Minnesota is not fair...there were other P5s that did not even make his list of 5...does that reflect on them that they could not even make his list ahead of Northern Kentucky?
Yeah Isaiah wouldn’t be that bad for a program like Minnesota. Has a lot of big ten experience and could provide some 3 pt shooting for them.

Reactions: TX4GB

Not sure what isn't "fair" about my statement.

Minnesota
Northern Kentucky
Florida Gulf Coast
Loyola Marymount
Grand Canyon

Minnesota fans should feel good about being in that company?

This says nothing about Purdue, other than perhaps being a recruiting miss from a few years ago. He was getting less than 10 mpg down the stretch this season for a team was thin on PG depth. That's why he is no longer here and Painter is competing with the big boys for a top portal recruit to backfill his spot.

Not sure what isn't "fair" about my statement.

Minnesota
Northern Kentucky
Florida Gulf Coast
Loyola Marymount
Grand Canyon

Minnesota fans should feel good about being in that company?

This says nothing about Purdue, other than perhaps being a recruiting miss from a few years ago. He was getting less than 10 mpg down the stretch this season for a team was thin on PG depth. That's why he is no longer here and Painter is competing with the big boys for a top portal recruit to backfill his spot.
What isn't fair is that it does not in any way reflect that Minnesota has in any regard "fallen" as you had suggested.

Minnesota fans could recognize that the starting PG at Purdue for the better part of the year and when they were ranked #1 nationally is considering playing there.

Just as it says nothing about Purdue, it says nothing about Minnesota either.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
What isn't fair is that it does not in any way reflect that Minnesota has in any regard "fallen" as you had suggested.

Minnesota fans could recognize that the starting PG at Purdue for the better part of the year and when they were ranked #1 nationally is considering playing there.

Just as it says nothing about Purdue, it says nothing about Minnesota either.
And Nojel was the starting PG on an elite 8 team, but couldn't get a sniff from a P6 program when he transferred.

The programs you compete with for recruits reflects on your program status, whether it is a high school recruit or transfer. This isn't any sort of new or controversial statement.

And Nojel was the starting PG on an elite 8 team, but couldn't get a sniff from a P6 program when he transferred.

The programs you compete with for recruits reflects on your program status, whether it is a high school recruit or transfer. This isn't any sort of new or controversial statement.

That's not completely true as he was supposed to be at Michigan until he was deemed not immediately available and then suddenly he wasn't academically eligible to get in. Funny how that all works.

That's not completely true as he was supposed to be at Michigan until he was deemed not immediately available and then suddenly he wasn't academically eligible to get in. Funny how that all works.
This is true. Michigan was excited to get him. Then the academic administration looked at his transcripts.

Reactions: Boiler8285

You sort of made the point...Nojel could not even get a sniff from another major program, yet, at Purdue, he was a key contributor somehow...a multiple-year one at that, and, would have remained one had he stayed there...so, the fact that one of Purdue's most key players could not even get a sniff anywhere else in major college basketball did not indicate that Purdue had fallen in any way...to your point, they had just played in an E8 with him as the starting PG.

Proctor started at Purdue, came from High Point, and, there was virtually no competition for him...it did not reflect that Purdue had fallen in any way.

Purdue is "competing with" Gonzaga and Duke allegedly for Pack...if Pack were not from IN, and, had not played for Weber at K-State...Painter/Purdue would not be in the mix even, never mind "competing"...so, not an accurate reflection at all of the program status.

Transfer portal recruiting is much different than HS recruiting...probably more so even for the recruit. It is about need in most cases for the school, and, usually immediate need at that...and, players are looking at/for different things as well (because of the experience that they have gained and had).

Again, Isaiah had multiple other schools that he could have shared as a list of those interested...he elected to share the list of 5 that he had narrowed it to...there are various reasons for each of the 5...that Minnesota is one of them does not in ANY way reflect poorly on Minnesota or its program....more so in that he absolutely could have returned to Purdue...may have even started again for that matter.

He was supposed to be at Michigan per Nojel and his mom. Michigan never commented on it. As predicted he never played college ball again. Never heard the potential landing spots lamenting his “loss”.

Reactions: johnboiler123
He was supposed to be at Michigan per Nojel and his mom. Michigan never commented on it. As predicted he never played college ball again. Never heard the potential landing spots lamenting his “loss”.
Of course not. When was the last time you heard someone associated with Purdue lamenting the loss of a recruit. It isn't done. The local and national news was all over the story that he was going to be a Wolverine. Even the UM student paper was all over it. This is the first time I have seen anyone suggest that Michigan did not want him.

Of course not. When was the last time you heard someone associated with Purdue lamenting the loss of a recruit. It isn't done. The local and national news was all over the story that he was going to be a Wolverine. Even the UM student paper was all over it. This is the first time I have seen anyone suggest that Michigan did not want him.
Really? I thought it was pretty evident at the time. It was pretty clear to me that they were trying to almost bully their way into Michigan. The excuse he used regarding transfer credits simply didn’t make any sense. The situation became more and more bizarre as it played out. Or at least to me it felt that way. Like you (the other end of perspective), I thought Nojel to UM was always a fallacy and pretty well accepted by most.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Really? I thought it was pretty evident at the time. It was pretty clear to me that they were trying to almost bully their way into Michigan. The excuse he used regarding transfer credits simply didn’t make any sense. The situation became more and more bizarre as it played out. Or at least to me it felt that way. Like you (the other end of perspective), I thought Nojel to UM was always a fallacy and pretty well accepted by most.
I searched the news stories to refresh my memory. Everyone thought he would be a big part of the rotation at UM.

The credits not transferring makes some sense when you recall that his mom's plan from the beginning was to get Nojel in the NBA. There was never any talk of obtaining a degree. I'm don't recall seeing that he ever declared a major. I assumed that he took classes just to stay eligible, and based on the news reports, they did not match any majors at UM. UM was forbidden by law to comment on his academics. They had nothing to gain either way.

I suppose it could all be a hoax perpetrated by the Eastern's, but I didn't see it that way at the time. And the news outlets may not have considered it a big enough story to probe deeper.

I searched the news stories to refresh my memory. Everyone thought he would be a big part of the rotation at UM.

The credits not transferring makes some sense when you recall that his mom's plan from the beginning was to get Nojel in the NBA. There was never any talk of obtaining a degree. I'm don't recall seeing that he ever declared a major. I assumed that he took classes just to stay eligible, and based on the news reports, they did not match any majors at UM. UM was forbidden by law to comment on his academics. They had nothing to gain either way.

I suppose it could all be a hoax perpetrated by the Eastern's, but I didn't see it that way at the time. And the news outlets may not have considered it a big enough story to probe deeper.
My recollection was that Howard might have wanted him for 1 year, assuming he was immediately eligible. Once it became clear he would have to sit for a year, then play 1, they weren’t interested.

Nojel's transfer always seem odd as UM never commented on it and I'm not sure he was ever offered a spot. Maybe his mom was trying to speak it into existence when she said her son was going to play FOR Howard (the coach) and he ended up playing for Howard (the school, albeit he didn't even play there).

Reactions: DAG10
My recollection was that Howard might have wanted him for 1 year, assuming he was immediately eligible. Once it became clear he would have to sit for a year, then play 1, they weren’t interested.
That's the way I understood it too and if he was immediately eligible, I have feeling they would've found a way to magically work out the academic part. Him being there two years screwed up the scholarship grid with guys actively being recruited, so the academic was a convenient way for Howard to back out of it.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
That makes some sense, too. If he had to sit out to get his credits caught up, then UM would have used 2 years of scholarships for a one-year player. I believe that was the 1st year of the portal and it had not yet been approved when the transfer to UM fell through.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
You mean he and his mom tried to con their way into Michigan when he never actually had an offer.
I was also under this impression. The family announced their “decision” to go to Michigan, where Nojel could be coached by “someone with NBA experience”. However it seems nobody on the UM staff was on-board. UM was graceful about it and let the story evolve into “he’s not eligible academically” which if examined carefully might prove to be nonsense given how they slide athletes through their school. Of course, it is possible that Nojel neglected his studies so badly he would have flunked out of Purdue too.

:cool:

Reactions: Inspector100
Looks like Isaiah to play for Pat "The Noose is Loose"
Chambers at FGCU.

Good luck, IT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT