ADVERTISEMENT

Is East Lansing a suburb of Flint?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Been to that campus a few times for games. I remember it being cold, dark and grey. It also smells funny up there. Not as bad as Bloomington, but an odd odor.

I've been to MSU for both a basketball game and a football game; pretty campus with the Red Cedar River running through it. I thought that their basketball arena was in the middle of nowhere, but central of campus and around the stadium is pretty.

Last edited:
I did some work up there a few summers. Pretty campus, I recall the buildings/layout reminding me a lot of Bloomington (campus wise). I really enjoyed Michigan in the summers, by the Lake north of Muskegon was the best.

Lansing itself is pretty run down.

Reactions: BSIT and pboiler18
I did some work up there a few summers. Pretty campus, I recall the buildings/layout reminding me a lot of Bloomington (campus wise). I really enjoyed Michigan in the summers, by the Lake north of Muskegon was the best.

Lansing itself is pretty run down.
Oldest son lives in White Lake Township northwest of Detroit. Hard to beat Michigan from Memorial Day thru mid- October. It's a house divided. Son is a Boiler fan. Grandson goes to UM and granddaughter plans on M$U in two more years.

Reactions: BSIT and TMFT
Is the OP dumb as shit?

OP made a statement, all the replies contradict his statement. End of story...until you post your jack ass comment. This is why a lot of Boilermaker fans (and other across the conference) think MSU fans are a bunch of a-holes. Congrats for enforcing the stereotype. Maybe you can go sexually assault some co-eds this weekend...or least make excuses for the long list of your student athletes and athletic department staff's who do.

Go Green! Go White! Can't Read! Can't Write!

Reactions: AgainstDaWind
Oldest son lives in White Lake Township northwest of Detroit. Hard to beat Michigan from Memorial Day thru mid- October. It's a house divided. Son is a Boiler fan. Grandson goes to UM and granddaughter plans on M$U in two more years.
Agreed. My son (Purdue Engineer grad) and his wife (IU Biology grad) live in West Bloomfield. Between biking the parks, hiking the woods, and boating on the lakes. Pretty great life for some mid-20-somethings. (Although Mich road maintenance is TRASH)

Reactions: BSIT
I've been to MSU for both a basketball game and a football game; pretty campus with the Red Cedar River running through it. I thought that their basketball arena was in the middle of nowhere, but central of campus and around the stadium is pretty.
This is a strange statement, because the Basketball Arena (Breslin Center) and Spartan Stadium are about 1500' away from each other on Campus. It's likely just the direction that you came from. Approach either form the east takes you through the center of campus and is beautiful. Approaching either from the West takes you through no man's land between Lansing and East Lansing, which is unappealing.

As a Spartan grad, believe me when I say that we wish Lansing didn't exist. The 3 miles between them isn't far enough. There are a few spots in Lansing that are improving, like the Stadium District (minor league baseball) and Capitol areas, but by in large, Lansing is a dump.

On the other hand, East Lansing and the campus is beautiful, particularly during spring bloom and fall colors. I might be biased though.

Not sure if the OP was joking, but if he thinks East Lansing (or even Lansing for that matter) is similar to Flint, then he's never been to Flint...lol

Reactions: BSIT and IndyGlen
This is a strange statement, because the Basketball Arena (Breslin Center) and Spartan Stadium are about 1500' away from each other on Campus. It's likely just the direction that you came from. Approach either form the east takes you through the center of campus and is beautiful. Approaching either from the West takes you through no man's land between Lansing and East Lansing, which is unappealing.

As a Spartan grad, believe me when I say that we wish Lansing didn't exist. The 3 miles between them isn't far enough. There are a few spots in Lansing that are improving, like the Stadium District (minor league baseball) and Capitol areas, but by in large, Lansing is a dump.

On the other hand, East Lansing and the campus is beautiful, particularly during spring bloom and fall colors. I might be biased though.

Not sure if the OP was joking, but if he thinks East Lansing (or even Lansing for that matter) is similar to Flint, then he's never been to Flint...lol
So you are saying you don’t want the athletes that come from lansing? Or you do? And all their families can kick rocks?

Based on my biased personel tours in the 1990's, East Lansing is an 8.5 out of 10.0 for a college town. Best B1G campus bars along/near Grand River Av and campus itself is very pretty. Flint is almost an hour drive away. I would rate Madison as a 9.0 on my B1G scale. Blmgt 7.5. Never been to College Park. MD but all the rest are inferior in my view.

I highly suspect you're right. During basketball game It was cold as ice out and the approach wasn't ugly...just seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere; VERY possible that I was just 1500' of the FB stadium...just not visible from my approach. Again, I think MSU's campus is very pretty.

I see your partisan education beliefs only transferred for one generation. 😆😆😆

Been to that campus a few times for games. I remember it being cold, dark and grey. It also smells funny up there. Not as bad as Bloomington, but an odd odor.
Obviously the OP is geography-challenged or a struggling comic.
Having visited both MSU and Purdue campuses many times, I find both way too similar to throw stones. 'Cold, dark and gray' is a good description for both. Both football and basketball facilities are great. Munn ice arena is world-class. E. Lansing is a suburb minus the 70 minute drive.

I see your partisan education beliefs only transferred for one generation. 😆😆😆
The grandson was within a whisker of being a Boiler until he was admitted to the Ross Business School with funding for his freshman year. Out of state fees in Krannert didn't stand a chance.

Obviously the OP is geography-challenged or a struggling comic.
Having visited both MSU and Purdue campuses many times, I find both way too similar to throw stones. 'Cold, dark and gray' is a good description for both. Both football and basketball facilities are great. Munn ice arena is world-class. E. Lansing is a suburb minus the 70 minute drive.
He can’t be both?

• Haha
Reactions: WMichBoiler
Based on my biased personel tours in the 1990's, East Lansing is an 8.5 out of 10.0 for a college town. Best B1G campus bars along/near Grand River Av and campus itself is very pretty. Flint is almost an hour drive away. I would rate Madison as a 9.0 on my B1G scale. Blmgt 7.5. Never been to College Park. MD but all the rest are inferior in my view.

What does Purdue rate in your system....heck rate all the big ten campuses you have been too.

Agree, we lived in Brighton just North of Ann Arbor for 11 years and Clarkston for another 10 and just love the summers. Nov - March is pretty grey.

5.5 but still well above the 3.2 that is New Brunswick, NJ

I did some research and people are harsh on Purdue's campus. I have been to about 3 dozen campuses, 5 Big Ten and always liked Purdue's campus, i know i am biased, but still. Never been to Rutgers, so I will take you word that it sucks, lol.

Reactions: WMichBoiler
I did some research and people are harsh on Purdue's campus. I have been to about 3 dozen campuses, 5 Big Ten and always liked Purdue's campus, i know i am biased, but still. Never been to Rutgers, so I will take you word that it sucks, lol.
I’ve desecrated iu’s campus many times.

• Haha
I’ve desecrated iu’s campus many times.
Lol, my wife is from Bloomington and I think the campus is overrated. However they do have a good medical school. Small world we just had our first optometrist appointment in Kauai and the optometrist is an IU grad and our cardiologist in California is also an IU grad

Lol, my wife is from Bloomington and I think the campus is overrated. However they do have a good medical school. Small world we just had our first optometrist appointment in Kauai and the optometrist is an IU grad and our cardiologist in California is also an IU grad
My Dad went to med school at Iu, one sis and BIL went to iu. I still hate that school with every fiber of my being.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT