ADVERTISEMENT

Passing

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
Is it just me or is the passing recently on a whole different level for these Boilers? Many times in the past few games I have anticipated a jump shot only to be surprised to see the ball fired into to Zach for a better shot or swung on the perimeter for a wide open 3. It’s been like a clinic from what I’ve seen and it isn’t just one guy doing it.

I checked Purdue’s assist rate and it is sixth in the nation at 64.2%. It is easy to point to having Zach in the middle and great shooting as reasons why Purdue has a great offense, but I think that it is sharing the ball at an elite level that is making it all work seamlessly.

The passes have a lot more zip and juice on them compared to years past. The ball moves soooo much faster. So impressive how good Edey's hands are with some of those fastballs being thrown into the post. Agree 100%, passing looks so much better then years past.
You probably didn’t know this but he used to play baseball.

Loyer has become a really good post passer , guards have to respect his shot and he is putting zip on his passes. We still make lazy passes on the perimeter but every team does that. Seems like most of our turnovers could be avoided

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
I thought the same about the ball movement and selflessness in passing up a shot for a better shot. These folks play together as a T-E-A-M. It makes it fun to watch them play.
I mentioned in another thread that Michigan just gave up on chasing the ball in the 2nd half because the passing and movement was so good.

Defenses seem to be setup to make the pass from PG to the post tough. Often fronting Zach to make it an awfully tough pass to make. But when Braden zips it to someone else and THEY zip the post feed, the D doens't have time to react to the change of angle and the post feed is there. Loyer, TKR, Furst, Jones, all getting pretty dang good at it after several years of practice. Thank you guys!! :)

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
Defenses seem to be setup to make the pass from PG to the post tough. Often fronting Zach to make it an awfully tough pass to make. But when Braden zips it to someone else and THEY zip the post feed, the D doens't have time to react to the change of angle and the post feed is there. Loyer, TKR, Furst, Jones, all getting pretty dang good at it after several years of practice. Thank you guys!! :)
The other thing beside the velocity that seems to be faster is that there is an improvement in angles as well. Purdue, not perfect, but better at getting more appropriate angles than in the past. IMO, this is taking pride in ensuring your pass is at a good angle and timing to allow Zach and/or Trey to keep any advantage of position possible. In the past I noted to take an extra dribble if needed to make that pass. Today, many times the timing is good enough that the good angle is there when passed and the dribble other than Braden many times is not needed.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
In this vein, I think it’s very impressive how much Zach himself has improved as a passer out of the post when he’s doubled… too often in the past, that was a turnover, but he’s been excellent lately in quickly and effectively kicking it out to work for better position for himself, or a better shot for someone else.

Reactions: tjreese
In this vein, I think it’s very impressive how much Zach himself has improved as a passer out of the post when he’s doubled… too often in the past, that was a turnover, but he’s been excellent lately in quickly and effectively kicking it out to work for better position for himself, or a better shot for someone else.
He doesn't seem to pass it 180 from where he is looking if it isn't a dive from somebody it seems to me. He is making the easier pass...see the guy start the rotation and do it again if necessarily. It doesn't have to happen in a single post like immediately looking for the home run or 180.

Is it just me or is the passing recently on a whole different level for these Boilers? Many times in the past few games I have anticipated a jump shot only to be surprised to see the ball fired into to Zach for a better shot or swung on the perimeter for a wide open 3. It’s been like a clinic from what I’ve seen and it isn’t just one guy doing it.

I checked Purdue’s assist rate and it is sixth in the nation at 64.2%. It is easy to point to having Zach in the middle and great shooting as reasons why Purdue has a great offense, but I think that it is sharing the ball at an elite level that is making it all work seamlessly.
We have elite passing. And trust in who is getting the ball.

The other thing beside the velocity that seems to be faster is that there is an improvement in angles as well. Purdue, not perfect, but better at getting more appropriate angles than in the past. IMO, this is taking pride in ensuring your pass is at a good angle and timing to allow Zach and/or Trey to keep any advantage of position possible. In the past I noted to take an extra dribble if needed to make that pass. Today, many times the timing is good enough that the good angle is there when passed and the dribble other than Braden many times is not needed.
I think the high low lob pass from TKR or Gillis is our most susceptible post pass. Those seem to get picked off a lot compared to the zip passes.

I think the high low lob pass from TKR or Gillis is our most susceptible post pass. Those seem to get picked off a lot compared to the zip passes.
Use a damn bounce pass! Fake up or side or whatever to get the man leaning one way and use a bounce pass to get it to wherever Zachs big Canadian mitts are.

Reactions: proudopete
He doesn't seem to pass it 180 from where he is looking if it isn't a dive from somebody it seems to me. He is making the easier pass...see the guy start the rotation and do it again if necessarily. It doesn't have to happen in a single post like immediately looking for the home run or 180.
Yeah for sure. Early on he’d hold it and make a tough pass/just think too much. He’s making it easier on himself by making the easy pass and resetting with position and giving the passer the ability to pass it back to him.

That being said, I rewatched the last few games and the Boilers' turn over often come from bad passes. Some from Zach throwing it back out under stress or a low bounce pass that big guys can't grab quick enough. So there is room for improvement.

However, my favorite play that Purdue runs is the outside-inside-outside-inside and then outside again for 3.

Part of that may be general passing ability of a non guard and a lob is not an easy pass to make or to put the right touch on many times

Loyer has become a really good post passer , guards have to respect his shot and he is putting zip on his passes. We still make lazy passes on the perimeter but every team does that. Seems like most of our turnovers could be avoided
He was not good in the northwestern game but has been a lot better since. Mason every now and then from the top of the key has a bad pass to Zach when he tries to throw it over his defender and it gets tipped for a TO. Hope he starts to use a bounce pass more, I know it can be tough from that angle, but it’s usually a better pass to use when feeding the post as it can bounce right up to the big maple’s paws.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT