ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Tweet

Braden has an edge over C.E. with his vision and savvy, but Braden is his own person. He has a little of this and a little of that in all areas of the game and capable of filling the void that needs filled in a given game
Saying a true freshman has an edge over CE is absolutely laughable. CE was a walking bucket. We haven’t seen anything like him since he’s left (including Ivey), and likely won’t for a long time. It’s one thing to be high on a player, it’s a completely other (totally unrealistic) thing to be comparing him to one of the most dynamic guards Purdue has had in a looooong time. Let’s pump the brakes a bit.

Saying a true freshman has an edge over CE is absolutely laughable. CE was a walking bucket. We haven’t seen anything like him since he’s left (including Ivey), and likely won’t for a long time. It’s one thing to be high on a player, it’s a completely other (totally unrealistic) thing to be comparing him to one of the most dynamic guards Purdue has had in a looooong time. Let’s pump the brakes a bit.
I can see it now. The start of their junior years. Purdue returns the starting back court of Smith and Loyer. IU fans complaining about how it seems they’ve been a pain for 6 years. Oh yeah Mile is going to regret not recruiting these 2.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I for one don't think it is ridiculous if someone believes that Braden Smith has better vision than what Carsen Edwards had. I said during CE's entire career here that identifying and finding an open man was always his weakness. That, and elite level handles that an undersized guard must have in the NBA. Heck, Ivey was far superior to Edwards in the vision department. We all remember what made Carsen do dynamic.. the ability to get hot and score points in quick bunches.

I for one don't think it is ridiculous if someone believes that Braden Smith has better vision than what Carsen Edwards had. I said during CE's entire career here that identifying and finding an open man was always his weakness. That, and elite level handles that an undersized guard must have in the NBA. Heck, Ivey was far superior to Edwards in the vision department. We all remember what made Carsen do dynamic.. the ability to get hot and score points in quick bunches.

and make some plays like this as well.....

giphy.gif

Let us be, in a euphoria a bit longer about 3 weeks..
Will be ready by when the season starts, whatever the season will throw at us..

After all, nothing wrong with a bit of Optimism on this board, esp of late.

Geaux Boilers!!
Not sure I can find the hype? Closest is maybe Matt's comment and it was somewhat generic player comparison? Was the hype in this thread or another?

You do understand OR HOPE you understand that I talked about court savvy and vision don't you? How you managed to conflict that with scoring has me a bit baffled? Did you confuse me with another poster and just quote my post by accident?

The post you reference by @PUQBMan didn't even discuss the post you and I are referencing. @PUQBMan somehow confused vision and court savvy with getting buckets. Braden's role is completely different than Carsen's and will never be looked at to be the scorer.

Not sure I can find the hype? Closest is maybe Matt's comment and it was somewhat generic player comparison? Was the hype in this thread or another?

When you're a more "mature/fine aged" Boilermaker alum - you have to walk a fine line with equilibrium analysis and Boilerepherine.

All homeostasis levels have to be monitored closely - in particular H20, R-OH, and Kool-Aid, which requires copious amounts at specified intervals throughout the year. In addition, stretching exercises are highly recommended, especially upper torso, to prepare for the inevitable spontaneous hurling of objects, such as universal remotes, glasses (with or without beverages), and snacks.

When you're a more "mature/fine aged" Boilermaker alum - you have to walk a fine line with equilibrium analysis and Boilerepherine.

All homeostasis levels have to be monitored closely - in particular H20, R-OH, and Kool-Aid, which requires copious amounts at specified intervals throughout the year. In addition, stretching exercises are highly recommended, especially upper torso, to prepare for the inevitable spontaneous hurling of objects, such as universal remotes, glasses (with or without beverages), and snacks.
I need to stretch and also need to get back in a gym. Unfortunately, I am not doing either. That line I walk is the A1C line and it is NOT my favorite amount in my body.

The post you reference by @PUQBMan didn't even discuss the post you and I are referencing. @PUQBMan somehow confused vision and court savvy with getting buckets. Braden's role is completely different than Carsen's and will never be looked at to be the scorer.
Yeah- I couldn't quote him because I have had that particular poster on ignore for a long time- but every once in a while I check the ignored posts just to see if the same BS is being spouted lol.

Yeah- I couldn't quote him because I have had that particular poster on ignore for a long time- but every once in a while I check the ignored posts just to see if the same BS is being spouted lol.
not just this example (I have nobody on ignore), but there are others where a person types something and another somehow doesn't consider the words, but "feels" something different than what is typed. Effective communication on the net already has some difficulties, but when someone interprets something rather than what was typed it just adds to the confusion. It may be haste...I don't know? If different words didn't have different meanings, there would be no reason to have different words...just grunt

You do understand OR HOPE you understand that I talked about court savvy and vision don't you? How you managed to conflict that with scoring has me a bit baffled? Did you confuse me with another poster and just quote my post by accident?
I think I misread “an edge” as “the edge”, as if you were implying Braden’s court vision puts him ahead of CE (since the chain of posts you were replying to were comparing the two). Mistakes happen when reading a lot of posts in quick succession. My bad.

Going to be a better version of Carson Cunningham.

And Carson Cunningham was pretty dang solid.

Sticking with Purdue's version of Ryan Arcidiacono.
Carson was way better than "pretty dang solid." Coming to Purdue was not to Carson's benefit from a basketball standpoint, at least personally/individually...like so many other PGs, Gene handcuffed the guy...assuming he even got to play (as that did not happen near enough early on).

Smith is a better athlete than Carson...does have some other similarities, but, Carson was off the charts when it came to acumen and understanding of the game...feel for the game...and, he was a virtual wizard with ballhandling and passing.

I can see where there are some similarities, and, hopefully Smith has some of the same success, but, Carson was SO much better than most ever got to see even, just because he was not able/allowed to show it unfortunately.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
He's a much better shooter than Craft. But there are some similarities in the way they play the game. If he can be the defensive pain in the ass that Craft was, I'll take that all day.
Much better offensively, not near as good defensively...same mentality and competitive nature.

Craft was a decent player. High energy guy that liked to defend. Wasn't a talented scorer. But I think he gets highly overrated by many. He was on some really good teams with a lot of great individual players and a top tier coach. Was never even close to the most talented guy on any team he played on at OSU. That's fine if Braden ends up being that type of player as long as we surround him with the talent to carry the load.
Craft was what made those teams great...absent him, they were just talented...he was the leader on the floor...set the tone at the defensive end...refused to lose, and, demanded the same of teammates...incredibly unselfish.

Carson was way better than "pretty dang solid." Coming to Purdue was not to Carson's benefit from a basketball standpoint, at least personally/individually...like so many other PGs, Gene handcuffed the guy...assuming he even got to play (as that did not happen near enough early on).

Smith is a better athlete than Carson...does have some other similarities, but, Carson was off the charts when it came to acumen and understanding of the game...feel for the game...and, he was a virtual wizard with ballhandling and passing.

I can see where there are some similarities, and, hopefully Smith has some of the same success, but, Carson was SO much better than most ever got to see even, just because he was not able/allowed to show it unfortunately.
I did not see Carsen get handcuffed by Painter at all. He pretty much had a green light his junior year. Painter even let him keep shooting through a slump where a lot of fans thought he was hurting the team.

Reactions: Schnelk
I feel like Smith and Carsen is a pretty good comparison though. They have about the same athletic profile in terms of size, length, strength, quickness and jumping. Both can shoot off the dribble and play with a lot of confidence. Carsen grew a lot after his freshman year, but Smith matching his numbers as a freshman wouldn’t be crazy. Freshman Carsen made a lot of dumb mistakes and took bad shots. Matching Carsens growth as a soph would be tough.

I feel like Smith and Carsen is a pretty good comparison though. They have about the same athletic profile in terms of size, length, strength, quickness and jumping. Both can shoot off the dribble and play with a lot of confidence. Carsen grew a lot after his freshman year, but Smith matching his numbers as a freshman wouldn’t be crazy. Freshman Carsen made a lot of dumb mistakes and took bad shots. Matching Carsens growth as a soph would be tough.
They may be similar physically, but Carsen was primarily a scorer and Smith is more of a facilitator, from what I have seen.

I did not see Carsen get handcuffed by Painter at all. He pretty much had a green light his junior year. Painter even let him keep shooting through a slump where a lot of fans thought he was hurting the team.

What we've got here is a miscommunicarso(e)n..... :)

giphy.gif

I think I misread “an edge” as “the edge”, as if you were implying Braden’s court vision puts him ahead of CE (since the chain of posts you were replying to were comparing the two). Mistakes happen when reading a lot of posts in quick succession. My bad.
as I said...haste can happen...nop problem. I have been consistent for over six months. Braden has a high level of court savvy, vision, passing and running a team...exceptional in those areas. Don't get me wrong because he can shoot as well, but those are the areas I have mentioned in the past. We all make mistakes in reading too fast...I'm good!

My disparaging comments center around a few posters who, imho (and everyone is entitled to an opinion) is we have a few posters who are in love w recruiting rankings and with guys who are athletic and ball centric. Ask IU how chasing guys like that have worked out.

95% of basketball is played away from the ball and you need guys who understand all facets of the game. Just because guys like Smith and Loyer don’t look the part does not mean they can’t play. There have been a lot of people on here who said Hammons, Haarms and Edey were going to be busts just to name a few.

As MP has said many times, anyone can spot the top 25-30 guys, but it’s the next 100 guys that require a sharp eye. In general a lot of the guys who rag on some of the players we’ve taken are mostly the ones who want MP out, and some of them have never seen guys like Smith play. I’ll trust my judgment over them every day.

My disparaging comments center around a few posters who, imho (and everyone is entitled to an opinion) is we have a few posters who are in love w recruiting rankings and with guys who are athletic and ball centric. Ask IU how chasing guys like that have worked out.

95% of basketball is played away from the ball and you need guys who understand all facets of the game. Just because guys like Smith and Loyer don’t look the part does not mean they can’t play. There have been a lot of people on here who said Hammons, Haarms and Edey were going to be busts just to name a few.

As MP has said many times, anyone can spot the top 25-30 guys, but it’s the next 100 guys that require a sharp eye. In general a lot of the guys who rag on some of the players we’ve taken are mostly the ones who want MP out, and some of them have never seen guys like Smith play. I’ll trust my judgment over them every day.
This^’
I am a fan so immediately hope for the best. I’m also a fan of CBB in general - Smith will be an all time favorite - kid is a baller period. The comp to Craft is spot on imo. Craft wasn’t the man on those teams but made those teams. Smith may actually be the man. He’s that effing tough.

This^’
I am a fan so immediately hope for the best. I’m also a fan of CBB in general - Smith will be an all time favorite - kid is a baller period. The comp to Craft is spot on imo. Craft wasn’t the man on those teams but made those teams. Smith may actually be the man. He’s that effing tough.
I probbaly don't share the the craft comparison, but do share the toughness. I think Braden has a much more versatile offensive game than Craft and that is strength is on O "moreso" than D and I think Craft shared the leadership part, but was more D than O. Still, like other good leaders...Braden shares those attributes.

Impressive numbers.. One concern. Who is he stealing the ball from?
I'm guessing you are visualizing stealing the ball off the dribble or person he is defending and such and I'm guessing there is no "from" as much as stealing passes with a possible dig down on a post...as in helping.

I don't know that, but have an educated guess that is what happened. It is a bit rare to steal the ball off a dribble or the guy you actually defend.

I probbaly don't share the the craft comparison, but do share the toughness. I think Braden has a much more versatile offensive game than Craft and that is strength is on O "moreso" than D and I think Craft shared the leadership part, but was more D than O. Still, like other good leaders...Braden shares those attributes.
Agree - my spot on was about those leadership type traits. Not the basketball skill set so much.

Reactions: tjreese
What made Carsen so good was his fearlessness. Shot clock running low, he wanted the ball because he knew how to get a bucket. I remember his tourney run taking a 3 at the damn logo with 0 care. Virginia switched defense on him and he still splashed buckets.

I’m not trying to say Smith will be like this or will be anything like Carsen. I am just stating what made Carsen a killer.

Do I see a similar swagger? Yes. Do I think he will be as good as Carsen was while here? TBD.

I'm guessing you are visualizing stealing the ball off the dribble or person he is defending and such and I'm guessing there is no "from" as much as stealing passes with a possible dig down on a post...as in helping.

I don't know that, but have an educated guess that is what happened. It is a bit rare to steal the ball off a dribble or the guy you actually defend.
I was kind of making a joke.

I was just thinking 6 steals equates to 6 turnovers. That's quite a few turnovers for one player to create. Last year Purdue only averaged 4.6 steals per game and the opponents created about 5.9.

Good sign that he's making the steals....bad sign those passes and turnovers are being made by our guys.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT