ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Tweet

I'm really hoping Painter doesn't redshirt anyone other than Berg this year. In my view its all hands on deck at the 1 through 3. You never know who is going to get injured or go into a shooting slump. The difference in talent level between the 7 guys playing the perimeter spots is not as significant as its been in years past and i hope Painter doesn't take any options off the table.

I was kind of making a joke.

I was just thinking 6 steals equates to 6 turnovers. That's quite a few turnovers for one player to create. Last year Purdue only averaged 4.6 steals per game and the opponents created about 5.9.

Good sign that he's making the steals....bad sign those passes and turnovers are being made by our guys.....
Yes and if you look at the other player stats it makes you wonder if they were playing horse? ;) FWIW...when players are learning sets in particular and they know the first option...maybe the second...sometimes those players become mechanical and know the ball is suppose to go to player such and such and get a bit robotic in running the offense instead of playing the game and recogniziing what is actually there for that player. Not saying that happened, but early in the season that many times is a problem.

The stats you have were for the full year though and so "learning things as a robot" doesn't explain that stat. Part of that stat was playing "too cute" out of the 5, sometimes it was getting up in the air and then looking for a pass...and then other times due to fatigue or lack of focus just passing the ball to someone that is not really open...and lastly bad angles on post feeds.

I'm really hoping Painter doesn't redshirt anyone other than Berg this year. In my view its all hands on deck at the 1 through 3. You never know who is going to get injured or go into a shooting slump. The difference in talent level between the 7 guys playing the perimeter spots is not as significant as its been in years past and i hope Painter doesn't take any options off the table.
120 minutes available for 3 spots.

Smith being the only true point probably locks him into 25+

Morton is going to play a big role and is the best defender in the backcourt so he’ll get 25+ too

The combo of Newman and Loyer are probably going to get all 40 minutes at the 2 spot and Newman will get another handful at the 3. Let’s say 45 combined

that’s anywhere from 95-100 with those 4 and Jenkins probably gets somewhere in the 15-20 range mainly backing up Smith.

Now you’re most likely talking about less than 10 mpg left so it doesn’t make sense to play both Heide and Waddell this year. It actually makes more sense to split the remaining 10 minutes between the players already mentioned than it would be to play either of them adding a 10th player to the rotation.

Heide was hurt for almost all of last season and has the redshirt available that Waddell doesn’t so that’s probably what should happen. He’ll be an excellent player for Purdue in time so don’t waste a year of eligibility. Give Waddell 5-10 minutes per game unless you need a smaller rotation and then he’s the odd man out.

Morton is going to play a big role and is the best defender in the backcourt so he’ll get 25+ too

The combo of Newman and Loyer are probably going to get all 40 minutes at the 2 spot and Newman will get another handful at the 3. Let’s say 45 combined

that’s anywhere from 95-100 with those 4 and Jenkins probably gets somewhere in the 15-20 range mainly backing up Smith.

Now you’re most likely talking about less than 10 mpg left so it doesn’t make sense to play both Heide and Waddell this year. It actually makes more sense to split the remaining 10 minutes between the players already mentioned than it would be to play either of them adding a 10th player to the rotation.

Heide was hurt for almost all of last season and has the redshirt available that Waddell doesn’t so that’s probably what should happen. He’ll be an excellent player for Purdue in time so don’t waste a year of eligibility. Give Waddell 5-10 minutes per game unless you need a smaller rotation and then he’s the odd man out.
It all depends on if Waddell is ready to go. ACL recovery is a hell of a thing.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I for one don't think it is ridiculous if someone believes that Braden Smith has better vision than what Carsen Edwards had. I said during CE's entire career here that identifying and finding an open man was always his weakness. That, and elite level handles that an undersized guard must have in the NBA. Heck, Ivey was far superior to Edwards in the vision department. We all remember what made Carsen do dynamic.. the ability to get hot and score points in quick bunches.
How do you know Smith has better vision than CE? He hasn't played against high major competition yet. I hope he's got the vision everyone claims he has.
But, CE's role wasn't to create for others, it was to create for himself, which he did very very well.

and make some plays like this as well.....

giphy.gif
One of the many "Nuts to the face" dunks iu players have experienced vs Purdue over the years.

Have they said Berg is a red shirt? I was actually looking forward to see if he was the type of Euro player who could play in the high PnR and hit that jumper.

Yes and if you look at the other player stats it makes you wonder if they were playing horse? ;) FWIW...when players are learning sets in particular and they know the first option...maybe the second...sometimes those players become mechanical and know the ball is suppose to go to player such and such and get a bit robotic in running the offense instead of playing the game and recogniziing what is actually there for that player. Not saying that happened, but early in the season that many times is a problem.

The stats you have were for the full year though and so "learning things as a robot" doesn't explain that stat. Part of that stat was playing "too cute" out of the 5, sometimes it was getting up in the air and then looking for a pass...and then other times due to fatigue or lack of focus just passing the ball to someone that is not really open...and lastly bad angles on post feeds.

I totally agree with your premise that there is high probability that only 4 or 5 of the seven guys are going to get major minutes. Most coaches ( Painter included) go with an 8 (maybe 9) man rotation by the end of the year. There is also no guarantee that one of our 4s won't at least get a few minutes at the 3. So I absolutely get were your coming from.

But here's the difference. I'm all about Purdue winning and we really don't have anyone who is a proven commodity in the back court. In the past when we've redshirted guys, they were behind proven commodities.

We all hope (and some assume) Morton will pickup his offensive game and that Newman will regain the form he had the first half of his freshmen year. Jenkins college career has been up and down. Wadell, Smith and Heide are coming off fairly serious injuries and then you have Loyer who is unproven at the college level. I think 3, 4 or maybe even 5 of these guys could have great years. Which ones? I don't know and Painter may not know until we start playing some games.

Maybe Painter will redshirt Heide, but if he does, I hope he holds off on his decision. He can hold him out of a few games at the beginning of the year and get a feel on how its playing out before he makes a decision.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I totally agree with your premise that there is high probability that only 4 or 5 of the seven guys are going to get major minutes. Most coaches ( Painter included) go with an 8 (maybe 9) man rotation by the end of the year. There is also no guarantee that one of our 4s won't at least get a few minutes at the 3. So I absolutely get were your coming from.

But here's the difference. I'm all about Purdue winning and we really don't have anyone who is a proven commodity in the back court. In the past when we've redshirted guys, they were behind proven commodities.

We all hope (and some assume) Morton will pickup his offensive game and that Newman will regain the form he had the first half of his freshmen year. Jenkins college career has been up and down. Wadell, Smith and Heide are coming off fairly serious injuries and then you have Loyer who is unproven at the college level. I think 3, 4 or maybe even 5 of these guys could have great years. Which ones? I don't know and Painter may not know until we start playing some games.

Maybe Painter will redshirt Heide, but if he does, I hope he holds off on his decision. He can hold him out of a few games at the beginning of the year and get a feel on how its playing out before he makes a decision.
anytime you lose 5 out of your top 6 players there are going to be questions and that becomes even more iffy when many players haven't played on the team last year. I fully get that and "think" Brian may be the only one struggling as a result of his injury and he and others have stated that he thinks it is a mental thing at this point. There is a bit of a log jam at this point and it is believed that Berg shirts...and "reasonable" that another could as well.

There are many positives in place that are not measured by basketball metrics that I believe will help this team do better than some others believe. 1) I think the kids like last year are good kids and that will again help against many other teams. 2) There is a collection of players with higher than typical individual measures based upon accomplishments...Like Mr. Basketball and others right on their tails. The individual accomplishments took place within "team" accomplishments and so it appears there are a few that do NOT need to be "the" player...which leads to good chemistry.

Sure there are questions...any reasonable person understands this, but there are also some good things going for this team that at least make me think they might be very good in Jan...perhaps before? However they do, I'll enjoy the ride ;)

How do you know Smith has better vision than CE? He hasn't played against high major competition yet. I hope he's got the vision everyone claims he has.
But, CE's role wasn't to create for others, it was to create for himself, which he did very very well.
Where did I ever say that I know that he has better vision? I didn’t. I said I do not think it is ridiculous to believe that, as some had said that it was. You see the huge difference in what I said and what you say that I said, don’t you?

I’m really hoping we can get more than 5-10 out of Waddell. The injury and him playing a position we’re so loaded at is unfortunate, but his upside with shooting and athleticism is crazy. He might be a better pro prospect than anyone we’ve had outside of Ivey the last decade. I think we have to find a way to give him minutes, if he’s recovered.

I’m really hoping we can get more than 5-10 out of Waddell. The injury and him playing a position we’re so loaded at is unfortunate, but his upside with shooting and athleticism is crazy. He might be a better pro prospect than anyone we’ve had outside of Ivey the last decade. I think we have to find a way to give him minutes, if he’s recovered.
uhh. what??

uhh. what??
What? Who would be a better prospect in the last 10 years? NBA is filled with guys like Jake LaRavias and Peyton Watsons, not Carsen Edwards, Swanigans, and Edeys. It’s all about body type. That’s why Wheeler was getting hype for years. Rothstein was tweeting about NBA scouts being very impressed, I think y’all need to watch him a bit. He’s not some unathletic stand still shooter Carmel player like Cline.

Last edited:
Craft was what made those teams great...absent him, they were just talented...he was the leader on the floor...set the tone at the defensive end...refused to lose, and, demanded the same of teammates...incredibly unselfish.
Had to look him up to see what he is up to. Played for six years in pros, all time ncaa leader in steals, was 6’2”, and is in 3rd year clinicals in med school at Ohio state.

Painter won't redshirt anyone who doesn't see a RS as a net positive for their situation.

What? Who would be a better prospect in the last 10 years? NBA is filled with guys like Jake LaRavias and Peyton Watsons, not Carsen Edwards, Swanigans, and Edeys. It’s all about body type. That’s why Wheeler was getting hype for years. Rothstein was tweeting about NBA scouts being very impressed, I think y’all need to watch him a bit. He’s not some unathletic stand still shooter Carmel player like Cline.
It appears he is behind due to his physical setback. I wish that wasn’t true. Maybe in January or December he is ready to go, but all data suggests it is as much mental as physical and that mental just sits on your shoulder growing doubt

Reactions: Purdue85
It appears he is behind due to his physical setback. I wish that wasn’t true. Maybe in January or December he is ready to go, but all data suggests it is as much mental as physical and that mental just sits on your shoulder growing doubt
If Waddell is not ready to go then it strengthens my belief that Heide shouldn't redshirt. We'll probably need 5 perimeter players in the rotation and there are too many open questions in the backcourt to settle on our top 5 before the season even starts,

I hope like heck you're right, but it's a huge stretch to go from lightly recruited injured bench player to best pro-prospect without ever having stepped on the floor.

If Waddell is not ready to go then it strengthens my belief that Heide shouldn't redshirt. We'll probably need 5 perimeter players in the rotation and there are too many open questions in the backcourt to settle on our top 5 before the season even starts,
I doubt anything happens for a while. They will wait until the last minutes since there are so many moving parts...even counting the healthy ones. Waddell and Heide are two I don't have a good feel on...

I want Smith to succeed as much as anyone else, but between this post and the post last week stating that Loyer was better than E Moore, it just gets tiresome.

Meanwhile the same guys say Morton is going to have a breakout year. Newman is going to regain his freshmen form with more minutes, Waddell is lighting it up in practice, Jenkins is going to give us the scoring punch we need, Furst isn't missing from 3 and TKR is the real deal. And nobody is even talking about Edey or Gillis....

I just don't understand how we're not ranked #1 heading into the season.
maybe we should have been #1 heading into the season lol

I don't think the original post aged well. The post started by saying Smith is leading the team in points, rebounds and assists in practice.

Smith has been great. He's a better in all aspects of the game than I had hoped but he doesn't lead the team in scoring, rebounding or assist. Go back and read the thread. People were actually arguing that it could happen.

I don't think the original post aged well. The post started by saying Smith is leading the team in points, rebounds and assists in practice.

Smith has been great. He's a better in all aspects of the game than I had hoped but he doesn't lead the team in scoring, rebounding or assist. Go back and read the thread. People were actually arguing that it could happen.
Come on. I did not re-read the thread, but I cannot recall any serious Purdue fan believing that Smith would average more points or rebounds than Edey. The fact that he is third in scoring and second in rebounding as a less than six foot, three star, freshman guard, goes a long ways to answering the uncertainty that I and others had about the critical point guard position going into the season. As far as assists, his 3.6 average is very solid and I will bet that he overtakes Morton to lead the team this season. Bottom line is that he is a very capable freshman point guard and he is one other the key reasons (along with Loyer) that Purdue has blown away expectations in the early part of the season, going from unranked to #1. Smith is going to have his struggles this season, but I am ecstatic with what I have seen thus far.

Last edited:
Come on. I did not re-read the thread, but I cannot recall any serious Purdue fan believing that Smith would average more points or rebounds than Edey. The fact that he is third in scoring and second in rebounding as a less than six foot three star freshman guard, goes a long ways to answering the uncertainty that I and others had about the critical point guard position going into the season. As far as assists, his 3.6 average is very solid and I will bet that he overtakes Morton to lead the team this season. Bottom line is that he is a very capable freshman point guard and he is one other the key reasons (along with Loyer) that Purdue has blown away expectations in the early part of the season, going from unranked to #1. Smith is going to have his struggles this season, but I am ecstatic with what I have seen thus far.
You don't need to re-read the thread, read the initial post.

You are absolutely dead on regarding Smith, he's really good but the "doubters" never said he wouldn't be good, we (they) questioned the Tweet that said he was "leading the team in scoring, rebounding and assists in scrimmages". Somehow doubting that was offensive to some on this board.

Now that he's averaging 9/5/4 this thread is bumped because we were wrong?

"... in practice."

This simply indicated to most people that he was a gamer and much better than portrayed by people who focus on size, color, number of stars next to his name, and who else offered. Without seeing him play, some were even claiming that he couldn't dunk. Based on what we now know, there is no reason to doubt the OP.

Until this post, no one extrapolated and suggested that he would lead the team in all categories in games this season. It was a simple observation from pre-season practices.

Reactions: Gemini95
Well, you would know by now how he was getting it done, wouldn't you? Rebounding is the part some really have had issues with.

Boiler Up!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT