ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Tweet

Either this guy is lying or maybe some people on this site don’t know how to trust their own eyes and evaluate tape
How does he think it was/is not "Smith's job to lose?"

I would not be shocked about any of those things, as, the kid just plays harder than anyone else...he is hands down the most competitive kid on the floor anytime that he plays.

Props to him if he is dominating as suggested...impressive...on the flip side, I would be lying if I said that I did not have some concerns about the fact that he is dominating, at least statistically, as he is.

And just to keep things in perspective...Purdue has generally struggled in general to stop active PGs off the dribble...so, that he is having success is not exactly shocking in that regard either.

The guy who tweeted this noted that gonzaga and Duke were in touch when he committed for whatever that’s worth. Guess it’s worthless unless actually offered
It is worthless...but, it is also irrelevant...he was offered by Purdue, and, he committed...and, it looks like he may be the starting PG this year...no idea still what that ultimately says or means, but, we will find out in just over 3 weeks.

Braden Smith is going to be Purdue's version of Ryan Arcidiacono from Villanova.

This dude can ball on both ends of the floor. If he was 6'3'', he would be at Duke.

Smith is the kind of versatile PG that can get you to a Final Four.

Its about time Purdue got a leader that can do more than hit an open shot.

Glass half empty guy: "Great, we have no one that can guard an undersized PG that has no P5 offers. Not even a B10 talent. Our front court can't out rebound a 6 footer. We're totally screwed!" Glass half full guy: "We have a PG that can do it all. He may be the most valuable PG to ever play for Painter. Dude is a stud and even out rebounds 7 footers. Going to be a great season!"

I know a very knowledgeable bball guy who knows MP well and attended practice last week. He said that Smith has been fantastic in practice and has way exceeded everyone's expectations. I have been watching IN HS basketball closely since the Mount era and am very confident that Both Smith and Loyer will have exemplary careers at Purdue.

I guess some are butt hurt because they have misjudged Smith and/or cannot conceive that a 6' white dude can excel in basketball. I am close with one of the most active tenured IN HS refs who has done multiple state tournament finals. He's a huge IU fan and has told me multiple times that IU will live to regret not trying to recruit Smith. He has done several of both Smith's and Loyer's games. How many Smith doubters on here have been on the court with Smith or Loyer????? I find it hilarious that folks on here who have literally never seen Smith play somehow are a better judge of his talent than bona fide HS coaches/ our coaching staff/guys who have been on the court with him/people on this board and KHC who have actually seen him play. It's comical some of the reaction on here.

Either this guy is lying or maybe some people on this site don’t know how to trust their own eyes and evaluate tape

So I could sit here and come to 2 differing conclusions from this. But my guess is it's somewhere in between.

1). Everyone last year prior to the season was saying the same thing about IT. Dude was "killing it in practice". So you can argue that there might be a lot of exaggeration going on.

2). Smith is leading scrimmages in every facet. Which means he's much better than advertised.

Again, I'm gonna be somewhere in the middle at this point. Everything points toward this kid being a very solid college player. I hope it turns out that things are closer to #2 versus #1...

The tweet is just ridiculous. I have no idea who the guy making the Tweet is but with me he's got credibility issues. The idea that Smith is leading the team in points, rebounds and assists in practice doesn't pass the smell test. What are the "stats" he's using from practice? It sounds like someone's observations not pure numbers.

If we're talking about actual stats, I guess I could believe it if someone said assists. The points would be a stretch in my view because its my understanding that scoring wasn't necessarily his strongest attribute as a recruit. However, the idea that he is leading the team in rebounding is just ridiculous. He's the shortest guy on the court for God's sake.

Leading the team in assist would be great news in and of itself. I'm not someone who is saying we shouldn't have recruited him but come on....

I, like many will reserve judgment until the games start. Smith is no IT. From what I could tell from watching tape Smith is a much better athlete and shooter. The fact he can dunk with ease should tell everyone the kid has fast twitch structure that should translate into some pretty good D. On the rebound issue, I agree, if he is leading the team in rebounds our overall shooting has to of been poor leading to long rebounds where he can use his quickness. Considering I have pretty much stopped watching pro ball of any kind, so much looking forward to BB season.

I don’t know what to expect of Smith this year, but I do think that point guard play is the key to this season. I expect Edey and Furst to be dominant inside and I think that the wings will step up, so if Smith can come close to what this thread suggests, it should be fun to watch!

Either this guy is lying or maybe some people on this site don’t know how to trust their own eyes and ev
I would agree with that. If he is outrebounding Edey, Kaufman-Renn, and Furst, then we are going to have a long season against physical, big
It also means we dont have anyone else who can guard a PG. However, I do think he is going to be better than what some on here are giving him
How does he think it was/is not "Smith's job to lose?"

I would not be shocked about any of those things, as, the kid just plays harder than anyone else...he is hands down the most competitive kid on the floor anytime that he plays.

Props to him if he is dominating as suggested...impressive...on the flip side, I would be lying if I said that I did not have some concerns about the fact that he is dominating, at least statistically, as he is.

And just to keep things in perspective...Purdue has generally struggled in general to stop active PGs off the dribble...so, that he is having success is not exactly shocking in that regard either.
Concerns are legit, but there is a HUGE reason he was MR. basketball ,even being what some perceive as tiny and pre judged his play. He is very aggressive on both ends.

Nobody tell Bonefish or Jimmy the Greek (in heaven). Braden clearly lacks the quick twitch muscles to compete.
So, some guy who nobody knows who he is, says that he heard something from someone about practice? Therefore it's true?

Just for the record, I hope it's true. I would love nothing more than for Smith to be a huge success and be one of those surprising recruits nobody else deemed worthy of a D1 scholie.

I know a very knowledgeable bball guy who knows MP well and attended practice last week. He said that Smith has been fantastic in practice and has way exceeded everyone's expectations. I have been watching IN HS basketball closely since the Mount era and am very confident that Both Smith and Loyer will have exemplary careers at Purdue.

I guess some are butt hurt because they have misjudged Smith and/or cannot conceive that a 6' white dude can excel in basketball. I am close with one of the most active tenured IN HS refs who has done multiple state tournament finals. He's a huge IU fan and has told me multiple times that IU will live to regret not trying to recruit Smith. He has done several of both Smith's and Loyer's games. How many Smith doubters on here have been on the court with Smith or Loyer????? I find it hilarious that folks on here who have literally never seen Smith play somehow are a better judge of his talent than bona fide HS coaches/ our coaching staff/guys who have been on the court with him/people on this board and KHC who have actually seen him play. It's comical some of the reaction on here.

Just for the record, I have been a Smith and Loyer fan from the start. Hence my posts and my video I just posted last week on Smith. I believe Braden Smiths style of play is gonna make a lot of people happy. Can't wait for basketball!

I want Smith to succeed as much as anyone else, but between this post and the post last week stating that Loyer was better than E Moore, it just gets tiresome.

Meanwhile the same guys say Morton is going to have a breakout year. Newman is going to regain his freshmen form with more minutes, Waddell is lighting it up in practice, Jenkins is going to give us the scoring punch we need, Furst isn't missing from 3 and TKR is the real deal. And nobody is even talking about Edey or Gillis....

I just don't understand how we're not ranked #1 heading into the season.

I want Smith to succeed as much as anyone else, but between this post and the post last week stating that Loyer was better than E Moore, it just gets tiresome.

Meanwhile the same guys say Morton is going to have a breakout year. Newman is going to regain his freshmen form with more minutes, Waddell is lighting it up in practice, Jenkins is going to give us the scoring punch we need, Furst isn't missing from 3 and TKR is the real deal. And nobody is even talking about Edey or Gillis....

This is just how preseason goes

That's why I personally never pay attention to claims of how practice is going for players. Talk is cheap. Let's see how they perform come game time.

Reactions: bonefish1 and DAG10
He was a writer for thehoosier.com. He branched off though I think.
Yeah, I remember this guy back in the day writing that Carsen would never win Big Ten player of the year over Romeo or Juwan Morgan because Purdue would struggle to break .500, and IU was supposed to win the league. Then we won the league. I think he’s a huge IU homer, if anything.

Reactions: TX4GB
Nick covers Indiana High School Basketball, and he is damn good at it. He is a Purdue fan and I think a Purdue grad. I trust his evaluations. I know he has access to all things Purdue Basketball. I have been following him for ten years now. I know for a fact he has access to all players from Indiana due to him covering them in high school and his connections to the main AAU programs. I have NO! clue as to why anyone would doubt an Indiana Mr. Basketball could come in and be a dominate player. As far as the rebounds Smith has a 6'7" wingspan and only one speed all out. Also, Painter will surround Zach with 4 shooters, so I am sure the long rebounds find their way to whomever hustles the most. The questions as to who would guard him in practice my guess is Jenkins and Newman with a slice of Loyer. I also have received reports of Smith's dominance. As far as the offers or lack of he played on the Under Armor circuit which normally isn't covered by the major recruiting services. He impressed the sports writers who cover Indiana high school sports all the way to winning Mr. Basketball. I apologize for sounding like a jerk. But the whole thing of doubting Smith is wearing on me, let alone someone calling Nick a possible liar for reporting what he knows.

Being a fan means you can also question a coach and comment on a players skillset. Doing so doesn't make you any less of a fan.
I agree with this, however it's when people haven't seen a player yet and they are giving too much credit or no credit at all and putting that player down. As much as I like Smith and Loyer , I am cautiously optimistic and trying to wait it out before I say too much on them.

Nick covers Indiana High School Basketball, and he is damn good at it. He is a Purdue fan and I think a Purdue grad. I trust his evaluations. I know he has access to all things Purdue Basketball. I have been following him for ten years now. I know for a fact he has access to all players from Indiana due to him covering them in high school and his connections to the main AAU programs. I have NO! clue as to why anyone would doubt an Indiana Mr. Basketball could come in and be a dominate player. As far as the rebounds Smith has a 6'7" wingspan and only one speed all out. Also, Painter will surround Zach with 4 shooters, so I am sure the long rebounds find their way to whomever hustles the most. The questions as to who would guard him in practice my guess is Jenkins and Newman with a slice of Loyer. I also have received reports of Smith's dominance. As far as the offers or lack of he played on the Under Armor circuit which normally isn't covered by the major recruiting services. He impressed the sports writers who cover Indiana high school sports all the way to winning Mr. Basketball. I apologize for sounding like a jerk. But the whole thing of doubting Smith is wearing on me, let alone someone calling Nick a possible liar for reporting what he knows.
He’s got a 6’5” wingspan, not 6’7”.

I saw this tweet. I recall when Painter said Bryson Scott was winning everything in practice as a Freshman and so he had no choice but to play him. He ended up transferring but I think it’ll be different for Braden cause he is more of a pure PG.

I saw this tweet. I recall when Painter said Bryson Scott was winning everything in practice as a Freshman and so he had no choice but to play him. He ended up transferring but I think it’ll be different for Braden cause he is more of a pure PG.
let’s hope so.

Reactions: oldboiler52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT