ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Q&A with Coach Versyp...

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Posted on Purdue Sports page. Since many of us have stopped following our sports every day (as there is hardly any news) I thought some of you might have missed it.

My thoughts are that this is the final nail in the coffin that she will be given at least one more year else Purdue Sports would not have published such a feature article. But... I certainly could be wrong.

It was interesting to hear how the staff desperately tried to get all their international students back to their countries before the borders were closed. One didn’t make it.

https://purduesports.com/news/2020/4/2/womens-basketball-quick-q-a-with-coach-versyp.aspx

Reactions: TC4THREE
Well we have a huge senior class next year. I would think the expectations will still be at least making it to the NCAA.

I was trying to piece a starting lineup together.

Karissa McLaughlin started all 30 games she played in this season so one can assume she has one spot locked down.

Likewise, Farquhar started all 15 games she played in before injury. Assuming she recovers fully in time, she will probably start also.

Traylor started 25 of 32 this year and led the team in assists so there's a good chance she'll be a starter as well.

I don't think the other spots have any clear-cut favorites. Grant (12), Hardin (8) and Diagne (8) all started games but I don't think any played well enough consistently to go into next season with anything locked down. Diagne would seem like she might be a starter in the post but maybe Woltman will factor in there also.

Will Grant/Hardin/Whilby/Makolo step up? Will we see one or both of the highly-touted freshmen in Layden and Kyle make an immediate impact?

I happen to think Layden has the potential to be a four-year starter for us and am hoping that she comes in and is the rare freshman that starts for Versyp. I also wouldn't be upset if Kyle split time with Diagne in the post and maybe even surpasses her. I don't know if she's as polished and ready for that as I think Layden is though.

Reactions: DocRon
Well we have a huge senior class next year. I would think the expectations will still be at least making it to the NCAA.

I was trying to piece a starting lineup together.

Karissa McLaughlin started all 30 games she played in this season so one can assume she has one spot locked down.

Likewise, Farquhar started all 15 games she played in before injury. Assuming she recovers fully in time, she will probably start also.

Traylor started 25 of 32 this year and led the team in assists so there's a good chance she'll be a starter as well.

I don't think the other spots have any clear-cut favorites. Grant (12), Hardin (8) and Diagne (8) all started games but I don't think any played well enough consistently to go into next season with anything locked down. Diagne would seem like she might be a starter in the post but maybe Woltman will factor in there also.

Will Grant/Hardin/Whilby/Makolo step up? Will we see one or both of the highly-touted freshmen in Layden and Kyle make an immediate impact?

I happen to think Layden has the potential to be a four-year starter for us and am hoping that she comes in and is the rare freshman that starts for Versyp. I also wouldn't be upset if Kyle split time with Diagne in the post and maybe even surpasses her. I don't know if she's as polished and ready for that as I think Layden is though.
It is interesting to speculate. I too suspect Indiana Gatorade POY Layden will push Traylor and Hardin for a starting guard position. They have been so damn inconsistent. Layden is tall (hopefully 6’2” by time she arrives) and a good ball handler, passer & shooter. Here's hoping she can help to reduce the team's turnovers and be competitive out of the gate.

Last edited:
I guess I didn't realize we were playing elite basketball and that the program was back at a high level. Just because you say it, doesn't make it true.
I am confused. “Just because you say it”??? Specifically who said the words “elite” and “high level”?

I am confused. “Just because you say it”??? Specifically who said the words “elite” and “high level”?

It's the nature of these people. Constantly trying to argue something even if nobody is arguing against it. Either you have to become a bitter, whining, complaining, constantly unhappy malcontent or they want to argue with you until you are. You are a real fan of the team. You have your opinion about what should happen but at the end of the day you're still going to follow the team and hope for the best. You're not a fair-weather fan.

Guess the open night lineup is Diagne-Farquhar-Traylor-Layden-McGlauthlin. Hardin, Grant, Woltman, Whilby, Kyle should round out the rotation. Mokolo, Gony, Harmon could earn some minutes as well. Should be a deep team, however, talent level suggests another mid tier finish that probably earns a NCAA bid as a 8-10 seed.

Looks like this interview seals that Versyp will be the coach again. In these painful times, doesn't seem very important, the safety of all of far more concern. Stay safe all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT