ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State got hosed

Well remember that A) the NET is a sorting tool, and your record against the Quads is more important than the ranking itself, and B) the sample size is very small since the NET only replaced the RPI in 2018 (I think).
I believe Indiana State was only 1-4 against quad 1 teams. A bad record and not playing enough quad 1s. Play a few more and get more than 1 win will help a lot.

I’m pretty confident that the Sycamores could score more than 14 points in a half unlike Virginia just did. Also amazing that during the game they mentioned that UVA has been beat by 20+ points 6 times this year including losing to VaTech by 34.

In my opinion too many fans place too much emphasis on stats like Ken palm ratings. In the end you had a bunch of people in a room making a subjective decision. With many other factors besides just stats an d algorithms!

They lost 2 of 3 games to a conference rival. They lost both games to their only tough opponents.

Basically their stats were thrown out and their actual performance is what was considered.

I’m kind of tired of seeing fans complain, but but but but their Ken palm ratings said blah blah blah. Ken Palm is NOT on the selection committee!

And if you believe the selection committee was wrong prove it in the NIT.
Sorry, but there is no way ISU is the 65th best team in the country.

I’m pretty confident that the Sycamores could score more than 14 points in a half unlike Virginia just did. Also amazing that during the game they mentioned that UVA has been beat by 20+ points 6 times this year including losing to VaTech by 34.

Including a brutal scoreless stretch spanning the time after Virginia made two FT's with 9:20 left in the first half until 16:37 to play in the contest. The drought included 19 consecutive missed shots and covered 13:53 of game time and 59 minutes of real time, which included a 20-minute halftime.

Yikes.......but it really helps the under. :)

to me they pass the eye test, UVA or msu doesn't, msu gets credit or tough scheduling but they lost 10 of 13 games vs tough opponents, you gotta win some not just play them

Reactions: wallyboiler79
They have beaten 4 high majors now?
I saw a tweet last night that said that Seton Hall making the final proved that they should have been in the NCAA Tournament. No it doesn't. It just proves that they're a good team and they're playing well right now. Same for ISU. Rooting for them, but you can't make that conclusion.

Ironically I was on Seton Hall's campus the day they were playing their quarterfinal game last Wednesday. The people there were really pumped about it.

I saw a tweet last night that said that Seton Hall making the final proved that they should have been in the NCAA Tournament. No it doesn't. It just proves that they're a good team and they're playing well right now. Same for ISU. Rooting for them, but you can't make that conclusion.

Ironically I was on Seton Hall's campus the day they were playing their quarterfinal game last Wednesday. The people there were really pumped about it.
Yep. Invites are resume based and both had suspect resumes. I could have seen them getting in over Virginia but nothing that has happened since validates that or disputes it.

Now, I'm a believer personally that it was a good thing that they got rid of the last 10 metric, but...... I think they should weight the latter part of the season more heavily when seeding teams. Candidly, if they did this, there was a viable argument that Purdue shouldn't have had a 1 seed last year.

Over the 5 weeks leading into the tournament (including our BTT run), Purdue was just 18th in efficiency margin. Gonzaga (1), Texas (5), Arizona (8), UCLA (9) and Marquette (10) were all playing better than us.

Now, I'm a believer personally that it was a good thing that they got rid of the last 10 metric, but...... I think they should weight the latter part of the season more heavily when seeding teams. Candidly, if they did this, there was a viable argument that Purdue shouldn't have had a 1 seed last year.
I think the committee lets some of that late season bias into the conversation unconsciously enough that they don't need it over-weighted by making it an objective part of the discussion.

I think, out of respect, we should play ISU this coming fall. Win or lose, it would be a great game and we need to be the good guys once in a while.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Yep. Invites are resume based and both had suspect resumes. I could have seen them getting in over Virginia but nothing that has happened since validates that or disputes it.

Over the 5 weeks leading into the tournament (including our BTT run), Purdue was just 18th in efficiency margin. Gonzaga (1), Texas (5), Arizona (8), UCLA (9) and Marquette (10) were all playing better than us.

agree with you on seeding, ZZ.....and absolutely thought Purdue probably should have been a #2-seed. Texas probably that #1-seed in the East and Arizona in the Midwest with Purdue in the South (2nd weekend, Louisville). Of coures, one could argue (no wait - ponder) would this year then have played out the way it did........

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Wow
Reactions: Do Dah Day
ISU belonged in the tourney, they had 1 bad week while 2 starters were out, cost them a bid. MSU belonged, VA was crap and they showed it, anyway, might be a good thing for them, a NIT final might be better than a play in game if they’d have lost, I don’t think they would have though.

I think Avila is huge for ISU. Great quickness, shooting touch is great, has fun with the game. I think he's going to lead ISU to the NIT title. Question is, with all the recruits coming in and players coming back, who would like to see him playing in Mackey for the Boilers next year>

Last edited:
They hosed themselves tonight with turnovers. I though they had it with the late 7 point lead, but the couldn't buy a bucket in the end.
They sure screwed the pooch tonight. Seven point lead with 1:51 to go, and the first thing that happens is Avila comes down and shoots a 3. Why in the Sam Hell do teams do that when they need to run the clock and then go inside to get fouled.

I'm sure ISU would love to have the last 2:00 back. That was some very poor clock management there and terrible decision making on shots. They would have been better off just holding the ball for 30 seconds each time and taking a shot clock violation.

They sure screwed the pooch tonight. Seven point lead with 1:51 to go, and the first thing that happens is Avila comes down and shoots a 3. Why in the Sam Hell do teams do that when they need to run the clock and then go inside to get fouled.
I'm sure ISU would love to have the last 2:00 back. That was some very poor clock management there and terrible decision making on shots. They would have been better off just holding the ball for 30 seconds each time and taking a shot clock violation.

Agree. ISU likely gave the game away with poor decisions in last 2 minutes. Milk clock, go inside get fouled, likely wins game.

Reactions: ejs1111
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT