ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State got hosed

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
I have no relatives there, no affiliation w/ the school but in my opinion they should be in it. They have a 28 - 6 record did well in their tournament, play in a conference that does well in Big Dance and got a star player / media darling. Think the committee blew it in regards to them while letting teams like UVA, MSU, and TAMU in.

I have no relatives there, no affiliation w/ the school but in my opinion they should be in it. They have a 28 - 6 record did well in their tournament, play in a conference that does well in Big Dance and got a star player / media darling. Think the committee blew it in regards to them while letting teams like UVA, MSU, and TAMU in.
I agree... there appears to be growing support to mod some things with the committee.

Not disagreeing - the four bid stealing bubble-shrinkers in conference tourneys (A10, Pac-12, ACC, and AAC) forced their hand.

Don't underestimate the power of the major conference cartel - $$$$$$$$ talks.

They need to schedule better in the OOC. Til then, gotta win the league
They had opportunities against Alabama (got smoked) and Michigan State (double digits) if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they can line up a decent opponent if they play in Indy Classic again?

Last edited:
What was their best win?

Maybe Drake? Whom they also lost to in their tournament championship game. Undoubtedly, strength of schedule hurt them......however, all its Q1 games were away from home.....went to Michigan State as well. Tough for them to get home/home's, though.

These arguments used to be commonplace a while back before the four play-in spots.....also has been a quiet bubble relatively speaking until this year. It's a subjective argument though - totally get why some might think they weren't deserving. Mountain West got six bids, so they aren't all going to the Big Boys.

In my view from what I've seen of them, they deserve a bid.

How do you expect a mid-major team to do that? They tried. People won't play them.
They got Alabama to play them. They got to play against a very mediocre Michigan State team. They had opportunities. Bottom line is they needed to win their conference and didn't.

And quite frankly, Indiana State has barely been on the college basketball radar until this season. I don't buy that nobody will play them. Maybe nobody will play them under the terms ISU would prefer, but I don't think many decent power-conference teams thought that highly of them until this season, let alone were afraid to play them.

They had opportunities against Auburn (got smoked) and Michigan State (double digits) if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they can line up a decent opponent if they play in Indy Classic again?

@ Alabama I think - yeah, lost 102-80.

This also raises the question of having the regular season champ get the NCAA-bid, and then the next team in would have to be the tournament champ.....seems more equitable to me.

@ Alabama I think - yeah, lost 102-80.

This also raises the question of having the regular season champ get the NCAA-bid, and then the next team in would have to be the tournament champ.....seems more equitable to me.
My bad. Got my SEC A's confused.

They got Auburn to play them. They got to play against a very mediocre Michigan State team. They had opportunities. Bottom line is they needed to win their conference and didn't.

And quite frankly, Indiana State has barely been on the college basketball radar until this season. I don't buy that nobody will play them. Maybe nobody will play them under the terms ISU would prefer, but I don't think many decent power-conference teams thought that highly of them until this season, let alone were afraid to play them.
Yes, they get opportunities to play a couple good teams in situations where the deck was stacked against them. But that's it. They deserve to be in. Virginia does not.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Yes, they get opportunities to play a couple good teams in situations where the deck was stacked against them. But that's it. They deserve to be in. Virginia does not.
I think you can make arguments for either side. But I find it hard to agree with anyone who thinks its cut-and-dry that they should be in. They had opportunities in the non-conference they didn't take advantage of and then they had their conference tournament they didn't win. They needed to help themselves and didn't.

They had opportunities against Auburn (got smoked) and Michigan State (double digits) if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they can line up a decent opponent if they play in Indy Classic again?
I think they lost a couple games with two of their starters out. Not sure which games though.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Best thing ISU can do is go win in the NIT. Too many times the teams that cry the most about getting left out end up losing their first NIT game.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Very true. MSU beat nobody except Baylor. I guess losing with post-game crying matters though.

Reactions: DrEss
They had opportunities against Alabama (got smoked) and Michigan State (double digits) if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they can line up a decent opponent if they play in Indy Classic again?
Michigan state was a bubble team. If they played a tougher OOC they would have had more losses likely. I feel for them but they fell apart at the end of the season losing late to crap teams.

Were the 29th ranked NET ranking in the nation, highest that did not get picked
Well remember that A) the NET is a sorting tool, and your record against the Quads is more important than the ranking itself, and B) the sample size is very small since the NET only replaced the RPI in 2018 (I think).

Reactions: wferrel
I don't have a dog in the fight really, but I knew they wouldn't get in. In fact, they ended up closer considering they would have made it if not for Oregon, UAB, and NC State among others. It's the same old story with the mids vs the majors. The majors, by rule, play more quality opponents and get more opportunities. It will never be a fair system.

I don't have a dog in the fight really, but I knew they wouldn't get in. In fact, they ended up closer considering they would have made it if not for Oregon, UAB, and NC State among others. It's the same old story with the mids vs the majors. The majors, by rule, play more quality opponents and get more opportunities. It will never be a fair system.
And thats why Conf tournaments need to go, it dilutes the 64 team field with automatic qualifiers.

And thats why Conf tournaments need to go, it dilutes the 64 team field with automatic qualifiers.
IMHO, Television networks and their dollars would never agree to this now. Too much money raked in by selling Cinderellas, their stealing of bids and the intro to March Madness. Top team players would probably come down with mysterious injuries and not play, saving themselves for the Dance.

At what point did you know that? Just curious if that was before or after the bid stealers. After the bid stealers it was pretty obvious they weren't going to make it. Prior to the bid stealers they were in by most brackets I saw.

They got Alabama to play them. They got to play against a very mediocre Michigan State team. They had opportunities. Bottom line is they needed to win their conference and didn't.

Was it Samford or Morehead State coach who said they were glad Purdue scheduled because no one in P5 schools would. No P5 coach wants the beat down of losing a buy game.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
At what point did you know that? Just curious if that was before or after the bid stealers. After the bid stealers it was pretty obvious they weren't going to make it. Prior to the bid stealers they were in by most brackets I saw.
More or less as things we're developing. I'd say when the A-10 top 4 all lost on Thursday, that was the nail for me. I was actually surprised they ended up considered the 3rd closest out. They just didn't have the wins. I was rooting for them, but knew that they didn't have enough.

In my opinion too many fans place too much emphasis on stats like Ken palm ratings. In the end you had a bunch of people in a room making a subjective decision. With many other factors besides just stats an d algorithms!

They lost 2 of 3 games to a conference rival. They lost both games to their only tough opponents.

Basically their stats were thrown out and their actual performance is what was considered.

I’m kind of tired of seeing fans complain, but but but but their Ken palm ratings said blah blah blah. Ken Palm is NOT on the selection committee!

And if you believe the selection committee was wrong prove it in the NIT.

Was it Samford or Morehead State coach who said they were glad Purdue scheduled because no one in P5 schools would. No P5 coach wants the beat down of losing a buy game.
Samford coach I think said something about none of the SEC schools be willing to play.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
In my opinion too many fans place too much emphasis on stats like Ken palm ratings. In the end you had a bunch of people in a room making a subjective decision. With many other factors besides just stats an d algorithms!

They lost 2 of 3 games to a conference rival. They lost both games to their only tough opponents.

Basically their stats were thrown out and their actual performance is what was considered.

I’m kind of tired of seeing fans complain, but but but but their Ken palm ratings said blah blah blah. Ken Palm is NOT on the selection committee!

And if you believe the selection committee was wrong prove it in the NIT.
What are Ken palm ratings?

They absolutely did. Watched them about five times this year and they play hard. But so did St. Johns and slick RIck. They had a NET 32

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT