ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

It’s not about Brohm. It’s about Purdue.

I’d rather have a system that caters to the player we CAN get vs the player we won’t.
Which, we are catering to the player we can get. So there is that….

Brohms best defense was the one he inherited, correct?

If he stayed he had Mbow, Hartwig, Moussa, Kaltenberger and Miller left on the line. That’s basically a whole batch of returning starters. Plus recruits plus the portal.

He’d have probably needed a portal QB as it seems Allen is not that good. He’d have gotten us a decent one I’m sure.

I love this rebuild narrative. It seems it’s what the Walters sunshine brigade will use as the excuse until he figures out how to put a winner on the field.
So we have a starting OL that, when healthy, is good, but undersized likely compared to bigger big ten teams. And an OL that cannot run block, though, that may have been Brohms scheme or stubbornness to utilize the run game. Maybe it’s the latter as it cost Purdue multiple games under Brohm.

DL would have been fairly decent. LBers would have been bad. DB’s? Did Brohm have any DB’s? Hard to say theineman would have had the same impact. Good yes, great, probably not.

It’s not about Brohm. It’s about Purdue.

I’d rather have a system that caters to the player we CAN get vs the player we won’t.
Walters, Bobinski and Purdue think we CAN get those better players.

I'll go with them. If he fails, he fails. But nothing wrong with wanting better players for a better programs than just doing good enough. Managed expectations and all that: no thanks.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Brohm never intended to stay at Purdue. He owned a home in Louisville during the entire time he was coaching at Western Ky and Purdue and that's where he's living right now. Heck, he openly said that he was planning to coach at Louisville some day. He should never have been hired.

When Brohm left he flipped a couple of recruits from Purdue to Louisville and he also got a couple of Purdue players through the portal. Some of you guys just don't know when you've been duped.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
Because everybody needs to hit the portal hard.

This isn’t 1990s college football like you think it is.

Your savior Walters will “hit the portal” hard after every season to try to fix weaknesses. That’s college football now.

Brohm did a great job of it and was better as the portal evolved. We will see if this coach can use it to his advantage.
Not sure of the genesis of this argument with you two, but come on man…

Brohm was finishing at Purdue before the portal really became brazen and ramped up. There wasn’t anyone flat offering someone’s dad 850k a house and a truck.

Purdue will always be hard pressed just to keep from having a talent deficit under these conditions. Players like Scourton will be bought, but at best, what comes in will be decent p4 talent or high pff graded players from g5.

Walters, Bobinski and Purdue think we CAN get those better players.

I'll go with them. If he fails, he fails. But nothing wrong with wanting better players for a better programs than just doing good enough. Managed expectations and all that: no thanks.
Who do you think Purdue is buying? The guys who came in who graded high on off were g5 guys. The Georgia guys had very little resume there. Jamarius dinkins graded at 73.3 last year at Kentucky, but only only 89 total snaps

Brohm never intended to stay at Purdue. He owned a home in Louisville during the entire time he was coaching at Western Ky and Purdue and that's where he's living right now. Heck, he openly said that he was planning to coach at Louisville some day. He should never have been hired.

When Brohm left he flipped a couple of recruits from Purdue to Louisville and he also got a couple of Purdue players through the portal. Some of you guys just don't know when you've been duped.
And actively recruited purdues roster after last season.

Who do you think Purdue is buying? The guys who came in who graded high on off were g5 guys. The Georgia guys had very little resume there. Jamarius dinkins graded at 73.3 last year at Kentucky, but only only 89 total snaps
I never said we are "buying" anyone.

I generally don't care about PFF.

The same players their peers are going after.

MY 2 cents, Walters got a late start, some players left, didn't have much time to recruit, had some bad injuries, he was new to being a head coach. Did he and staff make mistakes last year, yes they did, but Walters did pretty well in the Portal and recruiting, and i believe he learned alot during his first year as head coach. Seems like you are either a Purdue fan and want Walters to do well, or for whatever reason you don't like him and can't wait for him to fail so you can say i told you so. The man has one year , takes more than that to show what a coach can do. Most of us want Walters to succeed , and its gets old hearing how bad a coach he is , when has only been at Purdue one year.

Reactions: ejs1111
MY 2 cents, Walters got a late start, some players left, didn't have much time to recruit, had some bad injuries, he was new to being a head coach. Did he and staff make mistakes last year, yes they did, but Walters did pretty well in the Portal and recruiting, and i believe he learned alot during his first year as head coach. Seems like you are either a Purdue fan and want Walters to do well, or for whatever reason you don't like him and can't wait for him to fail so you can say i told you so. The man has one year , takes more than that to show what a coach can do. Most of us want Walters to succeed , and its gets old hearing how bad a coach he is , when has only been at Purdue one year.
This 100%.

I'm curious. Are these people who are so anti-Coach Walters the same people that didn't want to fire Coach Hazell?

Reactions: BoilerN
Brohm did that recovering from the hazell era. Purdue made a hire on the cheap and it’s worst hire ever between Brohm and tiller. You shouldn’t let that cloud your judgment.

If you rebuild, you then ask “what’s a good result”. A good result for Purdue is 8-4. That means that coach is doing well. To call a coach a good coach at Purdue that’s where you’d want him to be.

If you’re a buyer in the portal you can get back to good results with a good coach in 2 years. Purdue is not a buyer. They’re most of the way toward protecting their own.

In light of that and the conference schedule becoming ridiculous, I will be content with 5-7.
To be a good coach at Purdue historically is to be Brohm yes? The guy who left with a 36-34 record.

Which means a good result is to average 6 wins. That means sometimes you get 4 wins (like Brohm did) and sometimes 8 (like Brohm did) and sometimes 6 (like Brohm did).

Brohm wasn't getting 8 wins either last year or this year.

So, a couple of 6 wins seasons is right in line with "good" coach Brohm.

Also he had pretty crap recruiting his last two years here. Almost as if once AOC was gone, so was he.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
"He only grabbed . . . he only took . . ."
Purdue paid that Brohm goon millions of dollars to recruit players for Purdue. Very basic ethics dictate that Purdue should have been the one and only school that he should not poach/flip/recruit against after quitting - he wasn't fired, he quit.

As I said above, some of you guys don't know when you have been duped.

Who? He only grabbed Allen and Miller after they were told they wouldn’t start by Walters after the spring.

I think he only took 2 or 3 recruits with him as well.

Who was he actively recruiting?
It was reported he went after Mock both when he left and last off-season. I’m sure the lineman you mentioned earlier were of interest.

I never said we are "buying" anyone.

I generally don't care about PFF.
Because it doesn’t tell you what you want it to tell you. What do you think the chances are that pff and the Kentucky coaches who only played him 89 snaps are wrong, and he’s really a top tier SeC talent?

It is buying. Acquisition. Call it what you want. Once Purdue doesn’t have instant playing time to hand out they will likely struggle just to retain talent

Purdue paid that Brohm goon millions of dollars to recruit players for Purdue. Very basic ethics dictate that Purdue should have been the one and only school that he should not poach/flip/recruit against after quitting - he wasn't fired, he quit.

As I said above, some of you guys don't know when you have been duped.

So he did the same thing every other college coach does when they leave.

You clearly have never agenda…lol.

To be a good coach at Purdue historically is to be Brohm yes? The guy who left with a 36-34 record.

Which means a good result is to average 6 wins. That means sometimes you get 4 wins (like Brohm did) and sometimes 8 (like Brohm did) and sometimes 6 (like Brohm did).

So you don’t think they win more games early on if they are following another decent coach and not Darrell hazell? If Jeff Brohm was following another coach like Jeff Brohm, you honestly think his starting DEs in 2018 would have been Kai Higgins and geo Reviere?

So he did the same thing every other college coach does when they leave.

You clearly have never agenda…lol.
Well, you're right about one thing. I have never agenda.

Your analogy is absurd. "Every other college coach" who leaves is usually someone who was fired. The Purdue commits and current players should have been strictly off limits to this Brohm creature.

Because it doesn’t tell you what you want it to tell you. What do you think the chances are that pff and the Kentucky coaches who only played him 89 snaps are wrong, and he’s really a top tier SeC talent?

It is buying. Acquisition. Call it what you want. Once Purdue doesn’t have instant playing time to hand out they will likely struggle just to retain talent
I watch football because it's fun. I don't watch so I can spout numbers at people.

You have this creepy way of picking fights with people where there isn't one. I don't generally engage with you because I don't care about PFF, which obviously you do. That's fine and all, but don't drag me into that nonsense.

Football is fun. Figuring which OL graded over blah blah blah is not.

I watch football because it's fun. I don't watch so I can spout numbers at people.

You have this creepy way of picking fights with people where there isn't one. I don't generally engage with you because I don't care about PFF, which obviously you do. That's fine and all, but don't drag me into that nonsense.

Love this post. What did us “old school “ fans have Purdue football before the internet and message boards? Maybe a few articles in the Journal and Courier and thats about it. Only people I argued with was visiting fans in the stands at RA.

You’re trying to make it about someone else because you can’t just discuss ideas.

Eh, I think the end of next season, unless he tanks this year and wins like 2-3. Then I’ll be more concerned. I do think he’s the guy tbh. I’d expect both the offense and defense to make a jump this year. That’s just from looking at the team and the historical trends of both coordinators.

6 wins this season COULD lead me to believe that the rebuild is complete and Walters is the guy.

6 wins this season COULD lead me to believe that the rebuild is complete and Walters is the guy.
I think ND is going to be rough. 38-17 or worse. A LOT of people who are silent now will come out of the woodwork angry that Bobinski fired brohm.

They have to rebound against Oregon state. If they escape Corvallis with a win I think they’ll have a shot at 6.

Reactions: tenwest
I think ND is going to be rough. 38-17 or worse. A LOT of people who are silent now will come out of the woodwork angry that Bobinski fired brohm.

They have to rebound against Oregon state. If they escape Corvallis with a win I think they’ll have a shot at 6.
So confused.

If the OL holds, I think Purdue has a chance.

If the OL holds, I think Purdue has a chance.
They have a chance. They have to demonstrate that they can make ND pay if they stack the box. Then they have to make the QB for ND beat them with his arm. If they do all that and he can’t beat them with his arm, they’ll have a chance to win late. All other things equal. If they lose the turnover battle and don’t get a massive swing in their favor, no chance

What I don’t want to see is everyone using ND as a referendum @BoilerN

Even if they lose big, if they can beat Oregon state I think the overall outlook will be upbeat

When did Bobinski fire Brohm? Is this guy for real? For someone who says he know everything, how can he be so clueless?

I’m just saying there are levels. There are schools who would say “Nic we can match that. No big deal.” I think it’s fair for the fans of those schools to expect all these wins.

I’m gonna be happy with 6 wins and thriled with 7+ till something changes like tv money being used to pay players
Do you have inside knowledge on Purdue's NIL situation? There’s a recent quote from Walters saying Purdue is now much more competitive with NIL, but you seem to be a big naysayer of that concept.

Last edited:
Do you have inside knowledge on Purdue's NIL situation? There’s a recent quote from Walters saying Purdue is now much more competitive with NIL, but you seem to be big naysayer of that concept.
I think he thinks it is less than it is.

I think he thinks it is less than it is.
He’s acknowledged Walters has more to spend than previous coaches did and has fund raised a lot of it himself. Good for him.

All that said…relative to our peers in the conference, it’s still not THAT much. What we can sell would be 3 fold. 1. Opportunity to play. 2. Modest NIL. 3. A Winning brand of football - obviously we are not there yet.

If we can do those things over the next 2 years we can be well positioned to be at least competitive at the highest level of college football. If not, welll…we’ll be starting over and those kids Walters brought in will likely not stick around.

He’s acknowledged Walters has more to spend than previous coaches did and has fund raised a lot of it himself. Good for him.

All that said…relative to our peers in the conference, it’s still not THAT much. What we can sell would be 3 fold. 1. Opportunity to play. 2. Modest NIL. 3. A Winning brand of football - obviously we are not there yet.

If we can do those things over the next 2 years we can be well positioned to be at least competitive at the highest level of college football. If not, welll…we’ll be starting over and those kids Walters brought in will likely not stick around.
Can you please provide a link talking about our current NIL situation? I haven't been able to find anything saying it is good, bad, or modest.

Where are you seeing that Purdue isn’t competitive with their peers in NIL?

Can you please provide a link talking about our current NIL situation? I haven't been able to find anything saying it is good, bad, or modest.
The collective, as of a couple months ago, was getting close to 10 mil. That was from an interview with their president. I think Neubert or Tim has mentioned football is around 7.5 this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT