ADVERTISEMENT

Extremely disappointed in every aspect of this team

If they don't fire Walters end of season, minimum they need new coordinators.

Find two innovative up and coming guys, go all in on the young coach train.

Because these coordinators aren't it.

Also, need better line recruiting and coaching. These lines are putrid. Same for linebacker.
We're 1-1 for cripe's sake. Let wait until the dust settles on this season before we call for our coach to be fired.

Don’t post much but goodness. Defensive guru and that’s your performance? I’m a Bengals fan and am back in the mindset of 90s Bungels. Tailgate hard. Little to no expectations watching the game. Roll out the basketballs already.

We're 1-1 for cripe's sake. Let wait until the dust settles on this season before we call for our coach to be fired.
Normally I would agree, but we also have last season to go off of and the worst loss in school history now.. that something Hazell never even had happen to him.

ND came in a obliterated our defense which is supposed to be CRW's strong suit but has yet to show it really.

CRW I am sure is a great person, but if I am being honest, right now he has shown he has no real business being a head coach and is in over his head. I truly hope he proves me and everyone else wrong, but right now there is zero evidence to suggest he will.

I’m not ready to fire him right now. We owe him too much money, lol.

I’ve been concerned with Walters since we hired him. With No head coaching experience does he have what it takes to get his team ready? We’ve seen red flags. Partying poolside with his coaches at the Citrus Bowl instead of engaging with the team/fans. We weren’t ready. So many plays we gave up on defense. Our defense seemed totally satisfied with locking up with blockers and not aggressively getting tot the ball . Maybe we will be like ND and next week will come up and respond in Oregon.

Reactions: BBG
I have been a supporter of Walters and this staff, and will continue to be, but this is ridiculous. He absolutely did not get this team ready to play. Team was totally flat. Harrell’s game plan was terrible. He really thought he was just going to drop Card back all game and have him pick apart that defense, and did nothing to adjust and try to ease the pressure.

The players have no fire, no heart whatsoever. There is no effort. Can’t block, can’t tackle. Don’t look like they care.

I don’t think it is really as bad as it seems today though. I knew ND losing that game last week was bad news for us. That is an extremely talented team that is pissed of and desperate. They kicked our ass and we took it meekly.

Just so disappointed in the lack of preparation and lack of heart today.
Most humiliating loss in my 70 years of following Purdue football.Basic block and tackle not there.If the AD has any pride in Purdues history some of the staff has to go.

Reactions: msfboiler3 and BBG
If they don't fire Walters end of season, minimum they need new coordinators.

Find two innovative up and coming guys, go all in on the young coach train.

Because these coordinators aren't it.

Also, need better line recruiting and coaching. These lines are putrid. Same for linebacker.
Walters defensive scheme is not working.
that's just nonsense. It's not been two years later by the way, it's been one season plus two games. Brohm barely got to 6 wins against a much weaker schedule his first two season. You think he gets to 6 wins with these schedules? I don't. Now does the team lose a little better? Yes. But just like Brohm took four seasons to get to quality teams, any new coach is going to need that time. And it's going to be fragile because if that coach just gives up on recruiting his last two seasons like Brohm did, it's real easy to fall off a cliff.

You want to blame scheme, and you think talent isn't an issue. You're wrong on both. Talent is a problem, and it's bad enough that scheme doesn't matter. We weren't outschemed today, we were overpowered, outquicked and just beatdown by better, stronger and faster players at every position...particularly on the line.

Now maybe an experienced coach brings along a couple of his own players to patch holes like Brohm did, but then again, no guarantee there.

Ultimately, Walters can't survive if he doesn't figure out how to make up for the talent deficits. I don't think he has the coordinators to do that ultimately on either side of the ball. They want to play normal on offense (few gimmicks, our best against your best straight up) and man to man on defense, but we don't have the talent on either line to do that, or at linebacker. We haven't had a lot of good linebackers for awhile, even before Walters. CBs and Safeties seem talented but if the front 7 suck, it doesn't matter. QB, WR, RBs and TE seem talented, but if the oline can't run block and can't pass block, and they were putrid at both today and really not stellar against ISU IMO, then it doesn't matter.

So you have two options:

Fire em all. Which fine, you can do that, but you're still left with all the same talent issues, and no those aren't going to just be "portal'ed" away in one or two seasons.

Get better coordinators, more innovative and better recruiters for both lines and LBs OR break open the damn piggy bank and pay for some impact players on the lines and at LB.

If you have good lines and LBs, your team looks a whole lot better regardless of who your coach is. So this program has to figure out how to make that happen. And quite frankly, it's only going to happen with money, lots of money, and we don't want to spend that money.
His scheme is a problem along with talent and complete lack of fundamentals. They may not be equally at fault but even before yesterday his teams are giving up way too many big plays. Nds qb isn't barry sanders but had a career worths of highlights yesterday. Especially in one on one plays. No way we win in any circumstances yesterday due to the talent differential and focus by nd but the tackling yesterday was just embarrassing. Hats off to nd and their qb but he's not nearly as good as we made him look.

I'm sorry but no. This isn't basketball. This is football, and it's football against a top ten schedule for the second year in a row. People are in the portal for a reason, and it's usually not because they were super successful in their prior teams. And since we are not breaking the bank with NIL, we ain't buying our way to stars like some teams do and can. So we are getting a lot of second chance players, and there's a reason they needed a second chance usually.
There's a whole lot of teams going into that portal, and a whole lot of them are spending bigger bucks than we are to do it.
You can bring whatever coach you want, as long as we are going to be cheap, we are going to require a coach to get players to overperform instead of spending some money and getting players ready to perform.

Fire Walters, that's fine, but the next guy coming in is likely to struggle, in part BECAUSE of the portal and because we aren't monetarily competitive.
Gimme a break. 2 offseasons is plenty of time to put together a defense that can at least offer a shred of existence to a junior high level offensive scheme.

Reactions: pboiler18

His scheme is a problem along with talent and complete lack of fundamentals. They may not be equally at fault but even before yesterday his teams are giving up way too many big plays. Nds qb isn't barry sanders but had a career worths of highlights yesterday. Especially in one on one plays. No way we win in any circumstances yesterday due to the talent differential and focus by nd but the tackling yesterday was just embarrassing. Hats off to nd and their qb but he's not nearly as good as we made him look.
I still think the scheme is fine. The plays are there to be made, the players at some point are going to have to make them. Even the guys who are supposed to actually be good looked like a joke yesterday.

• Haha

His scheme isn't some whacky thing. We have struggled containing Running QBs for a long, long time.

Walters became a star at Illinois because he was gifted five future NFL draft picks in his backfield (including the #3 overall pick, and three others who went in the 3rd round or better). And he didn’t recruit a single one of those players; he inherited every single one. That will make any DC/Safeties coach look like a star. Without that talent he doesn’t look like much.

The other problem with hiring a young coordinator is he doesn’t have any connections or ways to fill out his staff. He hired the parts of Bret’s staff that Bret didn’t try to retain, and otherwise had to fill the rest with whoever would answer the phone and say yes.

I love Ryan, but he’s in over his head. I think he can still succeed but he’s got to make some big changes.
Bret seems like he has the Illini moving in the right direction, always thought that was a decent hire, good coaching experience and needed to get back to the BIG10

His defense is shit. Need more speed and when you play a team running it down your throats with a qb that hasn't proven he can throw it down the field with a safety 30 yards back....you are a complete bufoon.
Exactly! Bring the safeties up and dare that guy to pass. Sticking with this defense with a weak front line and zero talent at LB is suicide. We play several teams with better offenses than ND and I am certain they watch film. We are going to routinely give up 300yds rushing until we prove able to stop it.

Exactly! Bring the safeties up and dare that guy to pass. Sticking with this defense with a weak front line and zero talent at LB is suicide. We play several teams with better offenses than ND and I am certain they watch film. We are going to routinely give up 300yds rushing until we prove able to stop it.
The safeties were up. Stevens was near the line all day and Thieneman was coming up to spy Leonard. They were just bad at their jobs.

You guys are so caught up in trashing a scheme that you’re not even willing to watch the players. Guys are there and failing to make plays. This staff deserves a lot of heat right now, but it’s lazy to just blame the scheme.

The safeties were up. Stevens was near the line all day and Thieneman was coming up to spy Leonard. They were just bad at their jobs.
I mean you could watch the actual game or you can just say scheme.

You guys are so caught up in trashing a scheme that you’re not even willing to watch the players. Guys are there and failing to make plays. This staff deserves a lot of heat right now, but it’s lazy to just blame the scheme.
Whose job is it to coach them on making tackles and taking proper angles. Bunch of the missed tackles were due to guys taking poor angles. Yes the players need to perform better, but it's the coach's job to put them in position to succeed. It's also a coach's job to recognize when something isn't working and make a change, whether that's in personnel or scheme. Through 14 games, I have yet to see this staff do any of that. We all saw the same players making the same mistakes over and over yesterday and no changes were made to personnel or otherwise. That's a coaching failure.

Last edited:
Whose job is it to coach them on making tackles and taking proper angles. Bunch of the missed tackles were due to guys taking poor angles. Yes the players need to perform better, but it's the coach's job to put them in position to succeed. It's also a coach's job to recognize when something isn't working and make a change, whether that's in personnel or scheme. Through 14 games, I have yet to see this staff do any of that. We all saw the same players making the same mistakes over and over yesterday and no changes were made to personnel or otherwise. That's a coaching failure.
Think I’ve been pretty clear that the coaching staff was bad leading up to and during this game. But simply blaming the scheme is lazy and wrong.

Not a single person is saying the coaches did anything other than putrid yesterday.

So when some of us say there is a talent problem, that's on the coaches. When we say there's an execution problem, that's on the coaches. When we say it's not as simple as just saying "scheme," that is not saying the coaches are awesome.

The entire team from coaches to players are responsible. But yes the talent coming into this season was last place worthy.

When people ranked us last place, it wasn't "that's a middle of the conference team if they didn't do a DEI hire if a coach with a stupid scheme," it was "that team has the least amount of talent on it." Again, that's a program problem that's spread around to the prior staff, the current staff and the AD/School that plays cheap.

And until that last bit changes, whomever you bring in is going to be swimming seriously upstream.

Not a single person is saying the coaches did anything other than putrid yesterday.

So when some of us say there is a talent problem, that's on the coaches. When we say there's an execution problem, that's on the coaches. When we say it's not as simple as just saying "scheme," that is not saying the coaches are awesome.

The entire team from coaches to players are responsible. But yes the talent coming into this season was last place worthy.

When people ranked us last place, it wasn't "that's a middle of the conference team if they didn't do a DEI hire if a coach with a stupid scheme," it was "that team has the least amount of talent on it." Again, that's a program problem that's spread around to the prior staff, the current staff and the AD/School that plays cheap.

And until that last bit changes, whomever you bring in is going to be swimming seriously upstream.
Better coaching (see Brohm, Tiller) can overcome talent gaps with a better scheme, or you know, ability to develop the 2-3*s into productive players. Through 14 games, this staff hasn't shown any ability to do either of those things. They're too rigid, it's 42-0 at the half, try something different literally anything, but no, this staff is content to just stick with what ain't working.

Better coaching (see Brohm, Tiller) can overcome talent gaps with a better scheme, or you know, ability to develop the 2-3*s into productive players. Through 14 games, this staff hasn't shown any ability to do either of those things. They're too rigid, it's 42-0 at the half, try something different literally anything, but no, this staff is content to just stick with what ain't working.
Correct. Times 1000

We will never be more talented than ND.

So what are we going to do to give ourselves an edge and give us chances in these games? It should be lining up and trying to go toe to toe!

The best Purdue coaches have understood and thrived on this!

I mean you could watch the actual game or you can just say scheme.

Think I’ve been pretty clear that the coaching staff was bad leading up to and during this game. But simply blaming the scheme is lazy and wrong.
The scheme didn’t work last year, and it’s not working this year. We should be running a 2 deep shell, mixing zone and man.

Reactions: BBG and pboiler18
Brohm had multiple losing seasons....what happened then?

The scheme didn’t work last year, and it’s not working this year. We should be running a 2 deep shell, mixing zone and man.
Lmao we should be running a 2 deep shell, mixing zone and man. Holy shit, this guy from new pal just solved all of the problems for the Purdue University defense. I mean he saw that guy do that at the high school there and he never punted and just rolled up offensive yards week after week. You have it all figured out because of the Dragons dont you?

But you’re not really watching Purdue play. If you did, you’d understand that there are players out there who have a chance to make plays, but don’t. And they don’t seem to really care. That’s on the coaches, where they don’t make the play or care, they have to clean that up. The scheme is the least of our worries. It’s that this staff didn’t get them absolutely ****ing locked in for this game.

Last edited:
They both had a much longer track record of success and were head coaches.
The difference between Brohm and Walters is that you would never have heard Brohm say, I circled ND on my calander for some time, Brohm was way to smart to say that. Also Brohm's offense demanded route dicipline by receivers and it seems our offense now is way to easy to pick up for our receivers and the ND defense. Hard to imagine bringing in all the receivers we did and they all get it !!! NOT!1 Going ot be a long year for our offense. Please tell Walters not piss off anyone else. He'll need to circle the wagons on our visit to Oregon State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT