ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois and IU

I suspect they had a major role in mind for Jakai Newton who is also out, maybe for the season. So Gunn was the third choice at SG.

X’s foot injury isn’t a break so he’s got a shot; most likely if he’s 100% it’ll be around January 1st.

It’s a tough situation—losing two of the team’s expected three or four top guards is no joke. As well as Purdue has played and as dominant as Edey has been, imagine them without Smith and one other rotation guard. That shit completely changes the dynamic.

True on Smith.
But it's funny to me you would compare a Smith and any iu guards in the same sentence. 😂

If you don’t think that Xavier Johnson is as important to IU as Smith is to Purdue I don’t know what to tell you.

Lol. If you think XJ should be mentioned in the same breath as Smith....that says a lot.

True Purdue loses Smith and season is tanked. Not so with XJ. A loss sure. But no where close to losing Smith for Purdue. Not close.

No young-ish coach is a sure thing. May appears to be wired to succeed. The biggest factor is the assessment of people in the industry that know more than me.

May is a Greene County guy and IU is his dream job, but I would imagine Louisville will give him a long look when the fire Payne (which will be soon). FWIW, Michael Lewis has been excellent at Ball St, was the top assistant to Cronin ant UCLA, and also has IU as his dream job. Hoping that Woody thrives and it’s all a moot point.
Keep an eye out on Tang for the Louisville job. Think the Tomlin situation shows the admin isn’t aligned with him and he can do better with the right resources and Louisville will back up a Brinks truck for him.

Wonder if May takes on a different job before he goes for the big leagues. Lot of pressure when making that jump from a FDU to Louisville or Indiana.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Keep an eye out on Tang for the Louisville job. Think the Tomlin situation shows the admin isn’t aligned with him and he can do better with the right resources and Louisville will back up a Brinks truck for him.

Wonder if May takes on a different job before he goes for the big leagues. Lot of pressure when making that jump from a FDU to Louisville or Indiana.
As you probably know, May was an IU team manager as a student there. That’s a really close bond and I’m pretty sure he’d push hard for the IU job.

Tang is excellent and I agree; he’d be a great choice for UL.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Lol. If you think XJ should be mentioned in the same breath as Smith....that says a lot.

True Purdue loses Smith and season is tanked. Not so with XJ. A loss sure. But no where close to losing Smith for Purdue. Not close.
Glad to hear that losing XJ is won’t tank IU’s season!

As you probably know, May was an IU team manager as a student there. That’s a really close bond and I’m pretty sure he’d push hard for the IU job.

Tang is excellent and I agree; he’d be a great choice for UL.
I like Tang too ( the coach not that awful drink), thought it was cool the other night when KSU won a close OT game that he went into the student section w/ some players to celebrate. I also think that Fran has run it's course in Iowa

If you don’t think that Xavier Johnson is as important to IU as Smith is to Purdue I don’t know what to tell you.
I agree, X at least gives experience and can guard other guards in the backcourt. Like I’ve previously stated, X hasn’t looked himself for two years. The injury bug has hit him hard towards the end of his career, which is a bummer for him.

Smith is basically the 1b to Edey being 1a. We wouldn’t be anywhere near what we are without Braden…maybe hover around the top 25-30 range…but yeah we’d be struggling without him.

Some folks don’t know what they’re talking about!
I want to see X vs Braden to get a sense of where Braden is vs a guard like X. Whatever the outcome, itll be good experience for Braden. He has shown so far to be able to compete and produce. Ziegler from UT was all up in him and he didn’t have a huge stats day, but did handle the pressure well and gave us a huge bucket late to help win. Or maybe gallo would guard Braden again? His length gave Braden all sorts of fits last year so would be good to see how he’d play vs gallo again.

Confused Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
Love And Hip Hop Reaction GIF by I'm So Jonathan

• Haha
Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Reviewing this thread?

Losing Edey or Smith would have been horrible for Purdue. I posted that Purdue was the major favorite if both those guys stay healthy.
Altman is not all that great.
Losing Xavier Johnson may not have tanked IU's season, but it was really detrimental. Not because he is all-world, but more because the alternatives are a major drop-off.

And finally, to the point you just raised:
Woody is a dead man walking in Bloomington and is sucking tremendously!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Abugabby
Can you make sure he stays for another 3 years tho?
I most certainly cannot lol. Only Quinn Buckner and Scott Dolson can do that.

And I am pretty sure that much like with Tom Allen, the financial negatives of keeping Woody would far outweigh the costs of dismissing him. So I'm guessing he gone in about three weeks.

I most certainly cannot lol. Only Quinn Buckner and Scott Dolson can do that.

And I am pretty sure that much like with Tom Allen, the financial negatives of keeping Woody would far outweigh the costs of dismissing him. So I'm guessing he gone in about three weeks.
You think? Damn. Should I then be rooting for them to run the table in the BTT and win like 4 games in a row to make the tourney??

Reactions: boilermaker75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT