ADVERTISEMENT

How do you seeing the Cuse game going

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
I'm looking forward to the night game. I'm not all that up on Syracuse O or D but expect a good game with Boilers coming out on top.

Boilers' O and D takes another step forward.

What say you?

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
A shootout, most likely. But that benefits Syracuse. Purdue shuts down Syracuse run, but their QB throws for a lot of yards to WR in the middle of the field.

Purdue needs to start fast and score early, then find balance and consistency while grinding clock. Schrader gets his but is limited to 60 plays and 18 minutes TOP.

Purdue 30, Tangerines 27.

On O, I think we'll see a good balance of running/passing again. Cuse isn't big up front on DL, but our OL isn't exactly a great run blocking group either.
On D, doubt Cuse will be able to run, QB will probably throw at least 45+ times. We'll give up a lot of yards between the 20s, force them to make long drives, don't give up big plays.

As to seeing, is the game going to be on NBC's main channel, or will I have to do something weird to watch it?

Reactions: pboiler18
The biggest challenge of the game is to keep Schrader from keeping drives alive with his scrambling ability. It could be like FSU all over again with a 65% 3rd down conversion rate.
No
Missed
Tackles.

The biggest challenge of the game is to keep Schrader from keeping drives alive with his scrambling ability. It could be like FSU all over again with a 65% 3rd down conversion rate.
No
Missed
Tackles.
yep, got to keep a disciplined edge by the DE. I think we'll see more 3rd down blitzing, because this guy will pick you apart with time.

I'm looking forward to the night game. I'm not all that up on Syracuse O or D but expect a good game with Boilers coming out on top.

Boilers' O and D takes another step forward.

What say you?
I have been reading some of the Syracuse football writers' previews and several think it won't be as close as the line suggests. Two score predictions I saw were 34-16 and 33-21 Syracuse. They said that OL was their weakest position group, but one writer claimed that Syracuse had a definite advantage in all other position groups. Hope they are wrong.

Reactions: tenwest
I have been reading some of the Syracuse football writers' previews and several think it won't be as close as the line suggests. Two score predictions I saw were 34-16 and 33-21 Syracuse. They said that OL was their weakest position group, but one writer claimed that Syracuse had a definite advantage in all other position groups. Hope they are wrong.
I see us getting some TO's w/ the D improving more and getting a revenge win. Big game from Card too

Last edited:
I thought Purdue made good strides on both sides of the ball in the VT game (except for a 5 min stretch in the 2nd Q) and I think that'll continue.
Something tells me we jump out to a 14-0 lead early and then grind it out 31-20.
Got invited to a watch party hosted by a bunch of NY transplants/Cuse fans. They've been talking schnit since Monday so it'll be nice to have the last laugh.

Syracuse is likely not going to rush for 150+ yards like they did against W Michigan. Secondarily, their best receiver is likely out. Thirdly, they haven't encountered a D line that will be pressuring them like Purdue will. And on top of that, if Hartwig is back, Purdue's O-line is going to be pretty good.

They're not playing W Michigan or Colgate on Saturday. The fact that Syracuse fans are clamoring about how good they are after beating two cupcakes is a bit laughable.

Purdue really f'd around the first half of last years game on offense. And then of course a comedy of penalties that really started with an unforgivable 15 yard penalty on Sullivan (pushed the guy while well out of bounds). To me last years game was more about Purdue giving the game away rather than Cuse winning it.

Through 2 games, I dont think we've had any dumb penalties. The roughing the paaser penalties we've had could have gone either way imo, and its just the nature of the game were going to get called for some of those.

I see us stuffing the run again this year. I think the outcome boils down to how well we do on third downs, offensively and defensively.

I think the D leads the way in aggression and takes another step. They should be in the backfield often putting pressure on their O.

Card continues to grow in confidence and should have a better display of the air attack we started to see against VT. That will open up the run game, where Mock and Tracey have great games spending most of their time in the secondary.

First home night game, energy will be high in the stadium. Crowd better bring it.

Reactions: bonefish1
Their fans and media all had last year's game as an automatic win too. Like no contest. What a terrible loss that was, and not just because of penalties. I thought that QB looked terrible and we just kept busting coverages. I recall a play where he was scrambling right and then threw a prayer all, the way back across the field and there's just a guy there all alone. then you get a PI and then allow a wide open receiver on consecutive hail mary's. Just awful and I hope that Walters will not be having that stuff happen.

I feel like we are going to really feed Mockobee, pressure the QB, and hang on to win by a FG.

Purdue really f'd around the first half of last years game on offense. And then of course a comedy of penalties that really started with an unforgivable 15 yard penalty on Sullivan (pushed the guy while well out of bounds). To me last years game was more about Purdue giving the game away rather than Cuse winning it.

Through 2 games, I dont think we've had any dumb penalties. The roughing the paaser penalties we've had could have gone either way imo, and its just the nature of the game were going to get called for some of those.

I see us stuffing the run again this year. I think the outcome boils down to how well we do on third downs, offensively and defensively.

It'll be really important to contain the QB once he feels the pressure and starts to scramble. We put a lot of pressure on the FS QB but he kept breaking containment, buying time and finding open men. The Cuse QB likes to run and wlll run early and often. Keep him from getting 1st downs on 3rd and long will be really important.

It appears the Syracuse OL lost its starting RT (who was really bad against WMU so that may or may not be a benefit) and won't get the other 2 OL back that have been hurt.

After watching most of the first half of the Syracuse/WMU game I think Syracuse is a bunch of fools gold. WMU was doing a decent job stopping Syracuse and moving the ball. But like 100 penalty yards in the first half kill you

Reactions: purduepat1969
Worth noting they lost a stud along the o-line from last year to the NFL as well. Was a captain and their LT. He's moved inside and is starting for Atlanta at LG as a rookie.

Their fans and media all had last year's game as an automatic win too. Like no contest. What a terrible loss that was, and not just because of penalties. I thought that QB looked terrible and we just kept busting coverages. I recall a play where he was scrambling right and then threw a prayer all, the way back across the field and there's just a guy there all alone. then you get a PI and then allow a wide open receiver on consecutive hail mary's. Just awful and I hope that Walters will not be having that stuff happen.

I feel like we are going to really feed Mockobee, pressure the QB, and hang on to win by a FG.

Purdue actually dominated last year's game 424 yards to just a little over 300 for Syracuse. The issue for Purdue was 138 yards in penalties.

I don't see this Syracuse team being any different from last years. IMHO, if Purdue plays relatively mistake free ball, they win going away.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I think the D leads the way in aggression and takes another step. They should be in the backfield often putting pressure on their O.

Card continues to grow in confidence and should have a better display of the air attack we started to see against VT. That will open up the run game, where Mock and Tracey have great games spending most of their time in the secondary.

First home night game, energy will be high in the stadium. Crowd better bring it.
If Purdue can get a lead early and get the crowd roaring,it may have a big advantage by it.The Cuse averaged only about 32,600 fans at the Dome in their first two games.And there will be almost twice that many people in Ross Ade tomorrow night.I thought they would have better support at home than that.Even IU has more fans buy tickets than the Orangemen do.

Ross Ade will be electric. That south end zone for the students was a great idea. Walked through and looked like a great time. I also believe the game is sold out.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I just picked up 4 tickets and could not be more excited to check out the stadium. Sect 115, shout out to any forum members.

I am planning on getting to game early so I can take it all in and walk around a bit.

Worth noting they lost a stud along the o-line from last year to the NFL as well. Was a captain and their LT. He's moved inside and is starting for Atlanta at LG as a rookie.
Yes, that kid (Bergeron) has ended up to be pretty good.

It was actually sold out as of two weeks ago at the Fresno game.
I love a sell out and it looks much bigger on tv, but kind of sad RA only holds 58k with a student body of 40k.
I like RA, just wish it were bigger. (And yea, I realize I’m part of the problem as it’s not logistically feasible for me to consistently get to many home games any longer).

I think Cuse with throw 45+ times. They won’t be able to run. If we contain schrader and don’t let him run for 90 yards again or break containment and buy a lot of time, I like our chances.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think Cuse with throw 45+ times. They won’t be able to run. If we contain schrader and don’t let him run for 90 yards again or break containment and buy a lot of time, I like our chances.
Probably go 5 DB’s to cover and speed to get QB if he runs

I just think the fact Purdue has played 2 teams with a pulse and it being a night home game on national plays in their favor.

As always, the game will likely be won/lost at the LOS. Purdue showed a ton of improvement from game 1 to game 2, so I'm excited to see if they make another jump.
Agreed. I think Purdue working out the kinks against actual competition bodes well for us getting better faster. Sucks we lost to FSU, but I'd rather lose and get better than beat some no name and get nothing from it.

Well I definitely don’t know anything. Between the fumbles , missed tackles, receivers wide open, I now see Purdue is not a good team.

Well I definitely don’t know anything. Between the fumbles , missed tackles, receivers wide open, I now see Purdue is not a good team.
It’s almost like everybody ignored the first game, the middle 40 minutes of the second game and the first half (then entirety) of this one.

This is our last sell out for a long long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT