ADVERTISEMENT

If IU finishes worse than Purdue this year

I agree with you concerning the freshmen guard situation but its time for guys like Furst and TKR to be beating out guys like Gillis and Morton if Purdue wants to be a player on the national stage. Gillis and Morton are nice players but realistically they are what they are. Gillis will be 22 when the season starts and Morton 21 1/2. There are NBA teams who have an average age under 24. These guys aren't going to become different players than what they've already shown and in my opinion its just not good enough to lead a team to a B1G title without a little more star power at the other positions
I agree with your overall sentiment that someone has to step up in a big way if Purdue were to contend for a Big Ten title. I love Mason on the floor at the same time as Zach. If Zach plays at a BTPOY level this year and Mason makes incremental improvements, like adding a drive and pull up off of a shot fake from the three-point line, that could be a great combination.

If Zack isn’t playing at that level, they’re going to need someone else to step up, i.e. more offense from other positions than just spot up three-point shooting. I agree that seems unlikely to come from Ethan, although if TKR becomes a real scoring threat, he and Ethan could make a nice combination in transition and pick and pop situations.

Reactions: Schnelk
I agree with your overall sentiment that someone has to step up in a big way if Purdue were to contend for a Big Ten title. I love Mason on the floor at the same time as Zach. If Zach plays at a BTPOY level this year and Mason makes incremental improvements, like adding a drive and pull up off of a shot fake from the three-point line, that could be a great combination.

If Zack isn’t playing at that level, they’re going to need someone else to step up, i.e. more offense from other positions than just spot up three-point shooting. I agree that seems unlikely to come from Ethan, although if TKR becomes a real scoring threat, he and Ethan could make a nice combination in transition and pick and pop situations.
Personally, the pick and pop from Fletch and TKR could be pretty deadly. Fletch has such a smooth soft touch from anywhere on the court.

I think you guys are significantly underestimating Morton. Kid reminds me of RayDay with a better offensive game. Both did everything that was asked of them as role players their first two years and then stepped into a bigger role starting their junior year. If there were a lottery pick backcourt player on the roster I'd agree with getting younger players PT, but I think Ethan's going to have a great season as a glue guy, defender and underrated scorer.

"RayDay with a better offensive game"

I believe Morton may very well start at the point and I do think he does a pretty good job on defense but this kind of diminishes RayD's accomplishments at Purdue. Ray Davis was named to the All B1G Defensive Team three times and defensive player of the year his junior year. Ray Davis averaged about 6 points per game his Freshman and Sophomore year and then was Purdue's second leading scorer averaging over 10 points per game his junior year on a team that placed third in the B1G.

Morton's per 40 scoring numbers were the worst on the team by a wide, wide margin the last two years. His freshman year his points per 40 were 2.8. Last year Hunter's per 40 was 9th on the team at 9.7 ppg, Morton was 10th at 6.6 ppg. Everyone else on the team was over 10 ppg per 40. The guy literally has made 36 baskets in 60 games at Purdue.

I'll go out on a limb and predict Morton won't be the B1G defensive player of the year or Purdue's second leading scorer this year. If he is, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

"RayDay with a better offensive game"

I believe Morton may very well start at the point and I do think he does a pretty good job on defense but this kind of diminishes RayD's accomplishments at Purdue. Ray Davis was named to the All B1G Defensive Team three times and defensive player of the year his junior year. Ray Davis averaged about 6 points per game his Freshman and Sophomore year and then was Purdue's second leading scorer averaging over 10 points per game his junior year on a team that placed third in the B1G.

Morton's per 40 scoring numbers were the worst on the team by a wide, wide margin the last two years. His freshman year his points per 40 were 2.8. Last year Hunter's per 40 was 9th on the team at 9.7 ppg, Morton was 10th at 6.6 ppg. Everyone else on the team was over 10 ppg per 40. The guy literally has made 36 baskets in 60 games at Purdue.

I'll go out on a limb and predict Morton won't be the B1G defensive player of the year or Purdue's second leading scorer this year. If he is, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Tough to compare across circumstances. Love Raphael but the roster the last two years has been completely different (much better) than during Ray’s time, especially his first two years. Impossible to say with certainty but I’m willing to conject that Ethan would have been a go to offensive option on those teams.

Agree that Morton is unlikely to be DPOY, but would not be surprised at all if he made the all BT defensive team. Don’t mean to take away from Ray’s body of work in any way but I think that Ethan has a chance to be a special player.

I suspect that Purdue's front line will be a dominat force in the BIG (no surprise there). I do question (1) how many games that can win in the conference, and (2) how far that dominance can take us in the tournament.

You might notice that I am assuming an NCAA bid for Purdue next year. I think that is a given.

As for Indiana, I think the tons of experience they return is a deceptive indicator. That "experience" has not proven to win many important games up to now. I think the 5* incoming freshman will have the bigger impact on IU's fortunes than all that "experience". I can see the possibility of some of the returning players dogging it, being there just for the NIL money.

I predict we split our games, but that is without seeing either tream play a minute's worth of any game. Both teams will look significantly different than last year, so any predictions are based on pure fantasy.

:cool:

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Tough to compare across circumstances. Love Raphael but the roster the last two years has been completely different (much better) than during Ray’s time, especially his first two years. Impossible to say with certainty but I’m willing to conject that Ethan would have been a go to offensive option on those teams.

Agree that Morton is unlikely to be DPOY, but would not be surprised at all if he made the all BT defensive team. Don’t mean to take away from Ray’s body of work in any way but I think that Ethan has a chance to be a special player.
The roster during Ray D's last two years was pretty good.. They came in 3rd both his Jr and Sr year. Team was ranked 12th his senior year.

Again if this team finishes in the top 3 in the B1G, I'll be pleasantly surprised and if they do, I'll be shocked if Morton is the second leading scorer.

I guess we'll see.

You’re comparing a team like Kansas with a team like indinia that got beat in the first round by 30 by a horrible st Mary’s team. Funny
No I’m comparing shooting in the back court. Kansas averaged 7-8 threes made a game. Hardly a killer. You guys always overreact to a comment without digging into the numbers. Kansas offense was efficient but they didn’t shoot a bunch of threes doing it. In the modern game you don’t have to hit a ton of threes. Go back and look at recent sweet 16s.

No I’m comparing shooting in the back court. Kansas averaged 7-8 threes made a game. Hardly a killer. You guys always overreact to a comment without digging into the numbers. Kansas offense was efficient but they didn’t shoot a bunch of threes doing it. In the modern game you don’t have to hit a ton of threes. Go back and look at recent sweeFrisbee!
They were still significantly better at it, 36%+ as a team around 50th in the NCAA compared to 33% for around 230th. That is Inidinia's problem, before lecturing about "digging into the numbers" maybe you should have.

Reactions: Poprudy
The roster during Ray D's last two years was pretty good.. They came in 3rd both his Jr and Sr year. Team was ranked 12th his senior year.

Again if this team finishes in the top 3 in the B1G, I'll be pleasantly surprised and if they do, I'll be shocked if Morton is the second leading scorer.

I guess we'll see.
Yes and the best offensive players on those teams were AJ Hammons, Vince Edwards, Caleb Swanigan and Issac Haas.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I agree that Ray was a great player but in his best offensive year he averaged 10.7 ppg on 30% shooting from deep and 46% from the field. His senior year his numbers dropped to 8.3ppg and while his three point percentage went up to 36% his fg % dropped to 38%.

Being the second leading scorer doesn't mean that he was skilled offensively, it just means that he was relied on to score because there were few other back court options. If Ethan doesn't score as much as a junior and senior as Ray did I'd be shocked if his efficiency numbers aren't significantly better.

They were still significantly better at it, 36%+ as a team around 50th in the NCAA compared to 33% for around 230th. That is Inidinia's problem, before lecturing about "digging into the numbers" maybe you should have.
Ok 33.9 vs 35.5.. 1.6% difference. 202/596 vs 243/684. If you take out the tournament it gets even closer. So yes I have dug into the numbers. Efficiency matters more than 3 pointers. They were great at the two point efficiency inside the arc and still had space. This notion of needing to be dynamic at hitting threes is silly and a false narrative.

Ok 33.9 vs 35.5.. 1.6% difference. 202/596 vs 243/684. If you take out the tournament it gets even closer. So yes I have dug into the numbers. Efficiency matters more than 3 pointers. They were great at the two point efficiency inside the arc and still had space. This notion of needing to be dynamic at hitting threes is silly and a false narrative.

What site were you using for the 35.5? Not what I found.

Indinia‘a guards can’t shoot. If your guards can’t shoot, you’re screwed
Pro Tip: When beating a long dead horse on a stupid spelling mistake It's a good idea to spell correctly yourself.

Regardless, one team won a national championship and one didn't even get a W in the tourney. Zero comparison to me
You keep comparing teams. I’m comparing a stat. While important it’s not as drastic a problem as people think. Everyone thinks you need more of those shots than you actually do. How you doing by the way?

Last edited:
You keep comparing teams. I’m comparing a stat. While important it’s not as drastic a problem as people think. Everyone thinks you need more of those shots than you actually do. How you doing by the way?
Helps if you have the 14th and 21st pick in the NBA draft. It's only 'not a drastic problem' if it can be mitigated in other ways. IU will be fine and have a good to very good season but their shooting is likely a key factor as to whether they have a good season or a great season.

Actually, I don't disagree or agree. In saying that though, if you took the percentage of what Kansas avg. by 3's a game over IU that would equate to almost 8% of Kansas's points. Imagine if you took that avg. made and gave it to IU every game that's 6 points. That turns IU into a 28-7 vs. 21-14.

Seems with the close margin it's a huge advantage vs not.

Btw, I'm doing good. Probably, still drinking a little to much bourbon. I hope you and your wife are doing well.

Actually, I don't disagree or agree. In saying that though, if you took the percentage of what Kansas avg. by 3's a game over IU that would equate to almost 8% of Kansas's points. Imagine if you took that avg. made and gave it to IU every game that's 6 points. That turns IU into a 28-7 vs. 21-14.

Seems with the close margin it's a huge advantage vs not.

Btw, I'm doing good. Probably, still drinking a little to much bourbon. I hope you and your wife are doing well.
Yes. 6-8 points per separated a lot of teams. It’s mostly efficiency too. Especially 2 point shots(bunnies), free throws but the one thing that’s even closer is 3 point percentage. Most good teams are in that 34-36% range. 8-9 of 17-19. Very slim margins. Too 50 offense and top 20 defense win a lot of games. 76-78 points a game while holding opponents to under 70.

I dont buy their hype. I give us a 2/3 chance of the better record. We have the bigs to play with their bigs. Our guards may not be great ball handlers next year but they wont be boneheads and can shoot.

What’s a short story? 😂

The Tell-Tale Painter Conundrum and its companion The Shadow of the Quatre Finale.

Unfinished works......will they be in the horror, fantasy, science fiction, or legend genre when complete?

For Big Ten referees/officials - a Braille version should be available.

Poe2.jpg

The Tell-Tale Painter Conundrum and its companion The Shadow of the Quatre Finale.

Unfinished works......will they be in the horror, fantasy, science fiction, or legend genre when complete?

For Big Ten referees/officials - a Braille version should be available.

Poe2.jpg
Tales that will get your Boilerepherine going.

Yes. 6-8 points per separated a lot of teams. It’s mostly efficiency too. Especially 2 point shots(bunnies), free throws but the one thing that’s even closer is 3 point percentage. Most good teams are in that 34-36% range. 8-9 of 17-19. Very slim margins. Too 50 offense and top 20 defense win a lot of games. 76-78 points a game while holding opponents to under 70.
Interestingly enough, a 6 point swing to decide a games winner is what Tim Donaghy allegedly claimed to be able to provide for his gambling buddies in the netflix ‘Untold’ documentary about his officiating. I’m not saying any big ten refs are on the take, but I sure have considered it in the past lol

Reactions: Schnelk
Interestingly enough, a 6 point swing to decide a games winner is what Tim Donaghy allegedly claimed to be able to provide for his gambling buddies in the netflix ‘Untold’ documentary about his officiating. I’m not saying any big ten refs are on the take, but I sure have considered it in the past lol
That was a good documentary. It’s to easy to be on the take I’m afraid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT