ADVERTISEMENT

If Brohm does leave, two leading candidates currently on ESPN 2...

I am puzzled by the Dykes reference. He was not successful at Cal. Why would he successful at Purdue? I am curious as to your thoughts.
He has a good acumen of recruiting and a reputation as a passing offensive coach...things that bode well for Purdue. Cal likely has more inhibitors for success than Purdue does. Didn’t say he should be seriously considered BUT when you take what has been successful at Purdue in to account, Dykes checks a lot of boxes.

Better yet why doesn't Purdue open up their check book and make it worth while for Brohm to stay... Make a huge commitment for a change, reward him for his efforts, show him and his players and recruits, Purdue is not going throw in the towel...

If JB doesn't win out this year (Wisky and IU), he's done a pretty mediocre job IMO.
guys, it's Norvell and everywhere he's been he has turned up the O, his OC is a young guy Kenny Dillingham who also was around the ASU program ( I'm sure Plummer knows of him). He's really good at coaching QB's and TE's. I was touting Norvell and Joe Moorhead when we had the Haze. If we need a coach, he's in my top 3 along w/ Tedford and Babers.

Last edited:
guys, it's Norvell and everywhere he's been he has turned up the O, his OC is a young guy Kenny Gillingham who also was around the ASU program ( I'm sure Plummer knows of him). He's really good at coaching QB's and TE's. I was touting Norvell and Joe Moorhead when we had the Haze. If we need a coach, he's in my top 3 along w/ Tedford and Babers.
Neal Brown has to be in the mix. He has a great 3 years at Troy and shown he can compete with big programs (upset LSU in Baton Rouge, was close vs Clemson, and beat Nebraska at Neb this year). He is an Air Raid offense disciple. The only bad thing is that he played WR at Kentucky and would probably want that job when it opens. So could be the Brohm situation all over again.

He has a good acumen of recruiting and a reputation as a passing offensive coach...things that bode well for Purdue. Cal likely has more inhibitors for success than Purdue does. Didn’t say he should be seriously considered BUT when you take what has been successful at Purdue in to account, Dykes checks a lot of boxes.
His teams play almost no defense. Hard pass. Both of these coaches you named are a huge step down from Brohm. Sorry, but that's the truth. And once again, Brohm isn't leaving.

If JB doesn't win out this year (Wisky and IU), he's done a pretty mediocre job IMO.
Three Top 25 wins this year. A bowl win last year to go with a win at Iowa and getting the Bucket back in Year 1.

I don't know what the hell you want. Brohm has totally turned around the perception of Purdue football in two seasons. Recruiting is the best in many years. Outside of last weeks debacle in the snow, Purdue has been competitive in every game he's coached. This will be a bowl team again this season. I think Purdue will be ready for Wisky at home and will beat them. They are down this year vs. the past several years. IU sucks and Brohm will not lose to the glorified HS coach. IU beats Maryland by 2 and now they are good all of a sudden? They are going to get curb stomped by Michigan tomorrow. Take that to the bank.

guys, it's Norvell and everywhere he's been he has turned up the O, his OC is a young guy Kenny Dillingham who also was around the ASU program ( I'm sure Plummer knows of him). He's really good at coaching QB's and TE's. I was touting Norvell and Joe Moorhead when we had the Haze. If we need a coach, he's in my top 3 along w/ Tedford and Babers.
All three of those guys are a step down from Brohm. That's just the truth. Norvell doesn't fit Purdue well if you look at his background closely. Tedford is a West Coast guy. He's not coming to IN. Babers is wildly inconsistent.

Brohm is much better than any these guys. Plus, he's not leaving so why even go there?

Oh, my.

Going into this season, there was no way most people (likely you, as well) thought we had a chance to go to another bowl game.

Looking at the results of this season, there's no way this has been a mediocre coaching job.
agree, I figured 4 wins myself.

I know it isn’t popular to promote a coordinator, but unless you could pull Fickell from Cincy, I would take Holt in a heartbeat. Upgrade Poindexter to DC, double whatever Louisville would offer Hodges, Shep, Barclay, and strength/conditioning coaches to stay (would also offer TJ McCollum whatever it took to keep him on staff even as the LB coach), and offer B. Brohm as OC with a chance to call plays and make a name for himself. Doing that likely saves a lot of the recruit class, including GK. Keeping GK would be the single most important thing for Purdue is ‘19. If Brohm stays, that’s easy. If Brohm leaves, it becomes much more difficult. You run the Holt hire by GK and test those waters. Jeff gets a ton of credit for the turnaround, but his entire coaching staff has been phenomenal. Holt has the passion to lead and get kids to believe/buy in. What he needs is talent and coordinators that match his passion.

The skill positions on offense would be the most likely to leave. Retaining the defense would be most important and top priority.

Again, I think Brohm stays, but if he leaves, this to me would be best case scenario (unless you can get Fickell, but I don’t see him leaving his current gig yet). I think the appeal of B. Brohm calling the plays would be tough to turn down. This would maintain a Kentucky connection as well, and Hodges would keep that Ohio connection.

Reactions: boilerrick240
I like your thinking......

I must agree....LOL! No better than Coach Hope! But a good recruiting class coming in.....sky would be the limit if he were to stay! With a great recruiting class coing in and a player like RM to continue building around, foolish for him to leave....That sh*& hole job will be open again in another 3-4 years... if he does leave, he will be dead to me! He will take half our recruits with him and take away any momentum he has built here! He will have not finished the job he set out to do! Our top ten facilities and MBOB being in charge, Pur will be a good stop for whoever becomes our next coach! If we still had our old outdated facilities and MORON still as our Athletic DIR, I would be worried...No worries here.....things will all work out for the best here at Boiler Nation!!

Last edited:
Three Top 25 wins this year. A bowl win last year to go with a win at Iowa and getting the Bucket back in Year 1.

I don't know what the hell you want. Brohm has totally turned around the perception of Purdue football in two seasons. Recruiting is the best in many years. Outside of last weeks debacle in the snow, Purdue has been competitive in every game he's coached. This will be a bowl team again this season. I think Purdue will be ready for Wisky at home and will beat them. They are down this year vs. the past several years. IU sucks and Brohm will not lose to the glorified HS coach. IU beats Maryland by 2 and now they are good all of a sudden? They are going to get curb stomped by Michigan tomorrow. Take that to the bank.
I want to see games won that should be won....Losses to Minny (blow out), Missouri, and Eastern Michigan to negate those wins against top 25's. The bowl last year was great, but as I said it's going to be tough to beat Wisky. I agree about IU, but it's still going to be a must win for both and unless Brohm comes out and says "I'm staying" before the IU game, what heart is left in this team will be in question. There's something to the rumors, and he needs to quell them ASAP if they're not true. My guess, he's going back to Louisville.

I agree that IU's HS coach will see his team curb stomped and bitch slapped by Michigan, as Harbaugh wants to send a late season message.

As for turning the perception around, I'm not so sure you or I couldn't have done that after Haze so I wouldn't put that on my bragging list.

I want to see games won that should be won....Losses to Minny (blow out), Missouri, and Eastern Michigan to negate those wins against top 25's. The bowl last year was great, but as I said it's going to be tough to beat Wisky. I agree about IU, but it's still going to be a must win for both and unless Brohm comes out and says "I'm staying" before the IU game, what heart is left in this team will be in question. There's something to the rumors, and he needs to quell them ASAP if they're not true. My guess, he's going back to Louisville.

I agree that IU's HS coach will see his team curb stomped and bitch slapped by Michigan, as Harbaugh wants to send a late season message.

As for turning the perception around, I'm not so sure you or I couldn't have done that after Haze so I wouldn't put that on my bragging list.
You must have a high opinion of yourself as a coach. I could not do what Brohm has done. I don’t have connections to bring in a staff of the quality he has. I am not an offensive genius like him. I could not recruit the quality of players he does and get them to commit. All of these things and many more contribute to turning around the perception of Purdue FB.

I’m sorry, but the win over OSU alone is worth more than the losses you list. That’s a huge win against a playoff contender. We blew them out in prime time with a national audience.

The losses to EMU and the blowout by Minnesota were bad. Last week nothing went right. Still, this program is not where it needs to be roster-wise yet. Brohm has raised recruiting significantly and he will continue to do so as time goes by.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

I think you're holding someone to a different standard than what you would hold yourself.

Life is full of times when you performed much better than expected, yet didn't perform nearly as well as you should have.

Yeah... I don't think you would like to only be judged by your failures.

I’m sorry, but the win over OSU alone is worth more than the losses you list. That’s a huge win against a playoff contender. We blew them out in prime time with a national audience.

The losses to EMU and the blowout by Minnesota were bad. Last week nothing went right. Still, this program is not where it needs to be roster-wise yet. Brohm has raised recruiting significantly and he will continue to do so as time goes by.
Again, how's that Ohio State win looking right now? Maryland is up and looks like they will "upset" the Buckeyes too. The value of that win just went down a bit if Maryland holds on. It's about the entire work of art that makes the final analysis.

Honestly after the last couple games. If Brohm leaves, we'll fine somebody better anyway. Louisville can have fun with a coach that currently has 12-12 record at a real school.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I know it isn’t popular to promote a coordinator, but unless you could pull Fickell from Cincy, I would take Holt in a heartbeat. Upgrade Poindexter to DC, double whatever Louisville would offer Hodges, Shep, Barclay, and strength/conditioning coaches to stay (would also offer TJ McCollum whatever it took to keep him on staff even as the LB coach), and offer B. Brohm as OC with a chance to call plays and make a name for himself. Doing that likely saves a lot of the recruit class, including GK. Keeping GK would be the single most important thing for Purdue is ‘19. If Brohm stays, that’s easy. If Brohm leaves, it becomes much more difficult. You run the Holt hire by GK and test those waters. Jeff gets a ton of credit for the turnaround, but his entire coaching staff has been phenomenal. Holt has the passion to lead and get kids to believe/buy in. What he needs is talent and coordinators that match his passion.

The skill positions on offense would be the most likely to leave. Retaining the defense would be most important and top priority.

Again, I think Brohm stays, but if he leaves, this to me would be best case scenario (unless you can get Fickell, but I don’t see him leaving his current gig yet). I think the appeal of B. Brohm calling the plays would be tough to turn down. This would maintain a Kentucky connection as well, and Hodges would keep that Ohio connection.
10c.jpg

Again, how's that Ohio State win looking right now? Maryland is up and looks like they will "upset" the Buckeyes too. The value of that win just went down a bit if Maryland holds on. It's about the entire work of art that makes the final analysis.
Yeah, OSU is 10-1 now.

I could get behind Venebles if they retain Sheppard and Barclay. Those two are the best recruiters and can likely keep the class some what together

Poindexter and Hodges are both important too. If Brohm leaves you have to pick that staff clean. Which is why you keep Holt. Any other HC is going to want their people. It’s the only way to save the class without taking somebody that has a nice class already and having them follow.

But again, I think he is staying and his visit on the Big network kept that hope alive.

Oh lord... Holt's HC record is 5-18. His defense couldn't tackle my grandmother.

No thanks.

Ok... so give me the stars of all the players on his defense. Now give me the stars of that offense Wisconsin has. You can’t put that on Holt. Wisconsin just ran simple trap and off tackle runs and relied on one of the best college running backs to get it done. If not for Mosley’s bonheaded interference on third down they win the game.

Poindexter and Hodges are both important too. If Brohm leaves you have to pick that staff clean. Which is why you keep Holt. Any other HC is going to want their people. It’s the only way to save the class without taking somebody that has a nice class already and having them follow.

But again, I think he is staying and his visit on the Big network kept that hope alive.
That seems an awful lot like IUs strategy when they promoted Lynch and Tommy High School. Pass.

That seems an awful lot like IUs strategy when they promoted Lynch and Tommy High School. Pass.

They also didn’t have a top 20 class to try and salvage and Holt, if given the proper staff, has the fire and passion to get it done. I knew it wouldn’t be a popular opinion, but if you can’t get a current coach that’s willing to bring some of his current class and also the ability to recruit well, Holt and as much of the current staff as you can get is the way to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT