ADVERTISEMENT

I think Carsen could have helped himself by staying another year.

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
If Carsen would have do.inated his following year not only would Purdue have been a fun team to watch I think k Carsen could have really developed into a special player for Purdue and the NBA.

I hope he gets his shot to play / start this season.

The money is hard to pass up but I just can't help from wondering if he would have dominated another year if NBA scouts would have put him higher on the draft. Maybe not.

What say you?

Reactions: West James
Selfishly for me I would have loved to see him at Purdue. But hard to have a better NCAA showing than he put on his last few games. If someone offered me millions to leave school after my junior year I would have jumped at the opportunity.

He had every chance to succeed with the Celtics, even after his rookie year was over. So saying he would have been better off staying another year is saying he would have developed more in college than in a season in the NBA. That's a little tough to believe. He didn't need any more college game experience.

If Carsen would have do.inated his following year not only would Purdue have been a fun team to watch I think k Carsen could have really developed into a special player for Purdue and the NBA.

The money is hard to pass up but I just can't help from wondering if he would have dominated another year if NBA scouts would have put him higher on the draft. Maybe not.

What say you?
Those thoughts crossed my mind several times before. He, like so many other young, hungry & eager college basketball & football players often leave school too early, & often end up wondering, what might have been, if only they had stayed another year/been a little more patient or had more forethought. Biggie comes to mind as well, & so very many others. With the new NIL & transfer rules, it will probably only get worse.

He would have been drafted lower, and made less money also missing out on a year of professional pay. There was no Ncaa tournament that year either. Smart choice by Carsen, and he will play somewhere, if not the NBA.
Agreed. It was actually the best decision he could have ever made. Tournament was cancelled. There was no summer league.

The Cs have really given Carsen a ton of opportunities. He had every chance to be the backup point guard in Boston. He just simply isn't a consistent enough outside shooter.

Don't think it would have helped his draft stock. His size is what concerned most NBA executives, and that was not going to change.

Similar to the NFL, they like prototype sizes. That is why Brees went in the second round. Rondale's injuries played a part in it, but his size was another big factor of him going in the second round.

An extra year at Purdue would not have helped Caleb either.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
What value do you think NBA front offices put into a few March tournament games when making their draft selection?

A) .01%
B) .02%
C) None

Reactions: northside100
Carsen is what he is. He lacks the court vision, ball skills, and passing to be a starting NBA point guard and the height to be a starting 2 guard. None of that was changing with another year in college.

You can't teach size. Carsen left us great memories and we will always view him through tinted lenses because of that. Had he been born in Nojel's body or Nojel been granted Carsen's shot and work ethic we'd have seen a truly remarkable player.

No, he wasn't going to improve his draft stock and he can work on his game while in the NBA better than in college.
Wasn't he still (somewhat) injured (back?) when he left us? I also read he played injured (back) in the last half of his final season here. Maybe if he would have stayed until his back injury fully healed, listened to the scouts more/longer, then improved his game, his current situation would be a little different/better?

Wasn't he still (somewhat) injured (back?) when he left us? I also read he played injured (back) in the last half of his final season here. Maybe if he would have stayed until his back injury fully healed, listened to the scouts more/longer, then improved his game, his current situation would be a little different/better?
He didn't ignore any scouts or advice. He was not improving his draft stock with another year at Purdue. Plain and simple. The only difference from another year would be a different team selecting him and him having a different level of success with that team.

He didn't ignore any scouts or advice. He was not improving his draft stock with another year at Purdue. Plain and simple. The only difference from another year would be a different team selecting him and him having a different level of success with that team.

zero debate no way improves his position. He sold high and did exactly what he should have done. Floors me this a decision questioned today. Guy apexed in 2019 in tourney

Agree with most of my esteemed fellow posters' comments. Carsen Edwards was always in a bit of a bind because of his height.....although I think his superb performance in the 2019 NCAA Tournament helped him get a guaranteed deal with Boston - not automatic with second round picks. Although I would have loved to see him another year as a Boiler - he struck while the iron was hot, and I can't see a scenario where an extra year would have helped or made a huge difference.

The Celtics' situation is really not a good fit for him now, and absent an injury or two in the back-court, he's just not going to get the long-term opportunity there.

Ironically, I think a landing place with some intrigue at first glance would be the Lakers, but I don't think they're in a position with trade capital to swing it....plus they've had major roster turnover recently. Hoping he gets another shot somewhere. Regardless, he needs to show more consistency and be able to produce more efficiently - he won't have the luxury to "find" his rhythm. Defensively, if he was with a unit where he could utilize his anticipation and quickness - rather than getting bullied/isolated....he can stay on the floor. No question the heart/desire is there.....and he knows what he needs to do. Again, this shows you how difficult it can be to carve out a long career in the NBA.

Reactions: punaj

What say you?
For my own selfish reasons, I would have been ecstatic if he'd stayed. But staying another year would have been very risky. If he had more back problems or was injured his senior year, his stock would have plummeted. It would take several years playing in a lesser league for him to make the money he made with his NBA contract.

If not for his guaranteed contract he would have most likely already been cut by the Celtics. Hope the Celtics can move him to a team where he has another opportunity.

Nobody mentioned him ignoring any scouts. So him having a lingering back injury his last year here, is just not true?

Last edited:
CE made the right move at the right time. His stock was at it's peak and had nowhere to go but down if he stayed.

• Haha
CE made the right move at the right time. His stock was at it's peak and had nowhere to go but down if he stayed.
Exactly, his height, narrow width & non muscular body doomed him from birth. Lots of that going around now. :O

Sincerely

I. Thompson :O

I'm not gonna second guess his decision to go. His contract was for 4.5M. How many other Purdue alums make that kind of money three years out of school. If he was smart he should have a good life no matter what his basketball future holds.

Selfishly for me I would have loved to see him at Purdue. But hard to have a better NCAA showing than he put on his last few games. If someone offered me millions to leave school after my junior year I would have jumped at the opportunity.
He played those last games with a lingering back injury. If I recall, his shooting percentage was noticeably off in those tourney games. Maybe not much was made of it at the time, because Carsen didn't want NBA scouts getting word/worried of it?

I think he left at the perfect time. He as coach Painter has said is a volume shooter which can require lots of time on the court to see success. He has not really gotten that, as least as far as I an see, in the NBA.

He is still a rich man, much more so than I, and gets to play a game and be paid well for it that he loves. What more could anyone want????

Nobody mentioned him ignoring any scouts. So him having a lingering back injury his last year here, is just not true?

His performance in the tournament put to bed any lingering back issues he was dealing with at the end of the season.

Reactions: mathboy
His performance in the tournament put to bed any lingering back issues he was dealing with at the end of the season.
He scored many points, but since he first had his back injured, his shooting percentages were noticeably down, including in the tournament. Glenn Robinson had the same problem. He finished up his career here with back problems, which hurt his performances at the end of his career here. Larry Bird also had back problems, & it cut short his NBA career.

I know from experience/back problems since I was in my 20s, they can linger long past being noticed by the public.

He scored many points, but since he first had his back injured, his shooting percentages were noticeably down, including in the tournament. Glenn Robinson had the same problem. He finished up his career here with back problems, which hurt his performances at the end of his career here. Larry Bird also had back problems, & it cut short his NBA career.

I know from experience/back problems since I was in my 20s, they can linger long past being noticed by the public.
His percentages in the tournament were up relative to the season and he put on one of the greatest tournaments of all time.

Big dog on the other hand was not plagued by back issues his career. Rather he injured his back in the Kansas game and let Grant Hill out shine him. However his injury was not widely publicized and if it was only after the game.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...purdue-basketball-record-virginia-elite-eight

Do you know his fg shooting percentage, or 3 pt. fg percentage in the NCAA tourney??? He scored a lot, but took A LOT OF SHOOTS. I doubt his back was fully healed come tourney time. He probably decided ahead of the tourney, he was leaving for the NBA, no matter what/what fg percentage he shot. Wonder if his back problems persist to this day?

Often, if you have persistent/chronic back problems at an early age, those problems stick with you your whole life. That is the case with myself. The winter/cold weather time is the worst.

His percentages in the tournament were up relative to the season and he put on one of the greatest tournaments of all time.

Big dog on the other hand was not plagued by back issues his career. Rather he injured his back in the Kansas game and let Grant Hill out shine him. However his injury was not widely publicized and if it was only after the game.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...purdue-basketball-record-virginia-elite-eight
What were CE's fg percentages in the NCAA tourney? Thanks for the link. Didn't Hill look so good, because Big Dog was having back problems, & Big Dog was nowhere near 100% in that game? Thought I read that somewhere?

Do you know his fg shooting percentage, or 3 pt. fg percentage in the NCAA tourney??? He scored a lot, but took A LOT OF SHOOTS. I doubt his back was fully healed come tourney time. He probably decided ahead of the tourney, he was leaving for the NBA, no matter what/what fg percentage he shot. Wonder if his back problems persist to this day?

So there's an agreed baseline knowledge of the facts among the group:

Carsen Edwards ended up 28/61 from 3-pt range for the 2019 NCAA tournament with many of those well beyond the arc. He was 13-30 from 2pt FG range, so cumulatively 41-91 from the field overall. Oh, btw, 29-36 from the FT line for .806.....very good, IMO.....six of the seven misses were against Tennessee.

He struggled from the field perhaps a little against Old Dominion but certainly not against Villanova nor Virginia. The Tennessee game I'd attribute more to their physical defense. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, billy.......IMO, I wouldn't attribute any of that significantly to a lingering back issue.

Reactions: Boileratthebeach
So there's an agreed baseline knowledge of the facts among the group:

Carsen Edwards ended up 28/61 from 3-pt range for the 2019 NCAA tournament with many of those well beyond the arc. He was 13-30 from 2pt FG range, so cumulatively 41-91 from the field overall. Oh, btw, 29-36 from the FT line for .806.....very good, IMO.....six of the seven misses were against Tennessee.

He struggled from the field perhaps a little against Old Dominion but certainly not against Villanova nor Virginia. The Tennessee game I'd attribute more to their physical defense. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, billy.......IMO, I wouldn't attribute any of that significantly to a lingering back issue.
To be sure, we'd have to ask Carsen. Thanks for the #s. Do you know if he still has any back problems? Do you know when his back problems first started?

Often, if you have persistent/chronic back problems at an early age, those problems stick with you your whole life. That is the case with myself. The winter/cold weather time is the worst.
Did the inflamed spain lead to inflammation of the brain? Or did it start in the brain and work its way to the spine?

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg question, so it probably doesn't matter.

Did the inflamed spain lead to inflammation of the brain? Or did it start in the brain and work its way to the spine?

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg question, so it probably doesn't matter.
Somebody's still mad about getting publicly exposed, over & over, & over. Are we happy now?

:)

Carsen's shooting percentages were down in the tournament? Bahaha- once again this guy shows his ignorance

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT