ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter/Dow/Williams...too good to keep off the Court

RFSNES

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
I think all three will be needed by mid season..all three should get early playing time to get the feel and comfort level needed for Big Ten.....if they are the best, play them....do not get mesmerized by upperclassmen...all three can play....give them their time.

I think all three will be needed by mid season..all three should get early playing time to get the feel and comfort level needed for Big Ten.....if they are the best, play them....do not get mesmerized by upperclassmen...all three can play....give them their time.

While I concur with the above comments.....another take is....

How do you know these 3 can even play @ the B1G level & defend against B1G players?

Sure they are nice recruits and looked great in HS and likely will be great Boilers.....But what do you know that I don't....until I see it in person against B1G competition? How do you already know these 3 will be "Too good to keep off the court"?

Last edited:
While I concur with the above comments.....another take is....

How do you know these 3 can even play @ the B1G level & defend against B1G players?

Sure they are nice recruits and looked great in HS and likely will be great Boilers.....But what do you know that I don't....until I see it in person against B1G competition? How do you already know these 3 will be "Too good to keep off the court"?

You won't know until they do it vs. live competition. Not letting them get those minutes early will hurt development later in the year.

Reactions: Schnelk
Of course they'll get the extra developmental minutes. I don't think that's the debate here.

"Too good to keep off the floor" means they'll be playing minutes that decide the game. I think that's highly unlikely to happen often with the talent/experience ahead of them.

Of course they'll get the extra developmental minutes. I don't think that's the debate here.

"Too good to keep off the floor" means they'll be playing minutes that decide the game. I think that's highly unlikely to happen often with the talent/experience ahead of them.

Experience...maybe...talent to be determined

As for talent and experience, our new recruits have played against players in AAU games that are projected as starters and held their own. Nobody is suggesting IU's Langford should red shirt. I'm not saying these players are as big as Langford, but they surely are not far behind. Last time I looked, Langford did not lead his team to a state championship. So if you can't have Langford, you go after the players who beat him.

I have a lot of confidence in Painter's recruits and Painter's coaching ability to have them ready.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
As for talent and experience, our new recruits have played against players in AAU games that are projected as starters and held their own. Nobody is suggesting IU's Langford should red shirt. I'm not saying these players are as big as Langford, but they surely are not far behind. Last time I looked, Langford did not lead his team to a state championship. So if you can't have Langford, you go after the players who beat him.

I have a lot of confidence in Painter's recruits and Painter's coaching ability to have them ready.

Langford led New Albany to a state championship his sophomore year

It just supports my thoughts that while our recruits do not have the last name of Langford, they can compete on the same stage.

Michael Jordan never won a HS state title. Doesn't have much to do with anything. Were all the kids who won state titles in North Carolina as good as Michael Jordan now?

Warren Central (who beat New Albany in semis) was undefeated last year and had an historic squad.

edit: none of our recruits are from warren central and none of their players are signed with D1 programs after a quick search

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Boiler

None of our recruits beat him in high school (two of which aren't from Indiana). Stating that "because Langford didn't win state this year, our guys are just as good" is not even close to being an accurate statement.

Does Warren Central have better basketball players than Romeo?

Lebron James hasn't won the NBA championship the last two years. Is he not still the best player on the planet?

Reactions: joseole101
Don't see how Dow doesn't shirt. Just my opinion but that dude is RAW.

Obviously, you didn't understand my point. Langford is a great player and projected to be a star. But he still did not lead his team to a championship last year. And we've got players who played against him in high school and AAU and held their own. Edwards actually beat him out for a starting position when they were on the same USA team.

We may not have a top 10 recruit in the nation like Langford. But don't sell our current recruits short. They have a lot of talent! And with great coaching, they will play to their full potential.

Is Hunter as good as Langford? No. But he's not that far behind. Williams, despite all those claims he needs to lose weight, was still a monster on the court last year. Evan was good in high school and started and vastly improved his game in college.

Our guys have a lot more talent than others may believe and they will show the world.

Obviously, you didn't understand my point. Langford is a great player and projected to be a star. But he still did not lead his team to a championship last year. And we've got players who played against him in high school and AAU and held their own. Edwards actually beat him out for a starting position when they were on the same USA team.

We may not have a top 10 recruit in the nation like Langford. But don't sell our current recruits short. They have a lot of talent! And with great coaching, they will play to their full potential.

Is Hunter as good as Langford? No. But he's not that far behind. Williams, despite all those claims he needs to lose weight, was still a monster on the court last year. Evan was good in high school and started and vastly improved his game in college.

Our guys have a lot more talent than others may believe and they will show the world.
You loose 4 seniors now the sky is falling I get it. Experience matters I get it. That freshman class is really good and I believe all will play and contribute. Williams according to my son is slimming down but that kid is a monster on the boards Dow kinda raw but defensively I believe will be what this team needs. Evan top 15 transfer for a reason he’s no bum. The returning players has more experience than some not giving them credit for. Red shirt freshman gained experience sitting out and now will have some games under their belt b4 season starts. Pressure is on Indiana to win now and make the tournament. Romeo will have real pressure on his shoulders to carry this team far in big 10 tournament play and must make the NCAA tournament hope he is up for that challenge. Playing in front of 3000 fans in a gym is not the same playing in an 14,000 to 17,000 arena he hasn’t done yet. He’s not competed against not 1 college player yet and until he does no telling how he will do against guys who will be stronger bigger faster than himtjat hoes for Purdue freshman as well it’s gonna take some adjustment for sure. That’s not including the HOF coaches that these freshman hasn’t played against yet that are good at scouting opposing teams best players. So boil it down a lot is riding on that 1 player to take Indiana to place they haven’t been too in some years guess Weill see how it turns out as season plays out. 14 man roster Indiana has with a transfer 5 freshmen and 6/7 returning players not sure if it’s enough min to spread around will be interesting to see how he spread them min around trying to keep players happy still trying to win games. Every year Purdue is counted out bcuz of loosing players but yet every year they tend to better than expected despite loosing key players like every college team in America do every year. I’m with you this team has a lot a interesting pieces that you can be interchangeable add in the athleticism and speed of the players they bring back and brought in this team gonna surprise many. Once they get a few games under their belt this team gonna be fun to watch.

You loose 4 seniors now the sky is falling I get it. Experience matters I get it. That freshman class is really good and I believe all will play and contribute. Williams according to my son is slimming down but that kid is a monster on the boards Dow kinda raw but defensively I believe will be what this team needs. Evan top 15 transfer for a reason he’s no bum. The returning players has more experience than some not giving them credit for. Red shirt freshman gained experience sitting out and now will have some games under their belt b4 season starts. Pressure is on Indiana to win now and make the tournament. Romeo will have real pressure on his shoulders to carry this team far in big 10 tournament play and must make the NCAA tournament hope he is up for that challenge. Playing in front of 3000 fans in a gym is not the same playing in an 14,000 to 17,000 arena he hasn’t done yet. He’s not competed against not 1 college player yet and until he does no telling how he will do against guys who will be stronger bigger faster than himtjat hoes for Purdue freshman as well it’s gonna take some adjustment for sure. That’s not including the HOF coaches that these freshman hasn’t played against yet that are good at scouting opposing teams best players. So boil it down a lot is riding on that 1 player to take Indiana to place they haven’t been too in some years guess Weill see how it turns out as season plays out. 14 man roster Indiana has with a transfer 5 freshmen and 6/7 returning players not sure if it’s enough min to spread around will be interesting to see how he spread them min around trying to keep players happy still trying to win games. Every year Purdue is counted out bcuz of loosing players but yet every year they tend to better than expected despite loosing key players like every college team in America do every year. I’m with you this team has a lot a interesting pieces that you can be interchangeable add in the athleticism and speed of the players they bring back and brought in this team gonna surprise many. Once they get a few games under their belt this team gonna be fun to watch.

Inexperience can be both a blessing and a curse - and it's often game by game. I think there's a lot of potential (and hunger) and think the team we watch in February will be on a different planet than November - but inexperience - not only as individuals, but also a team - is not something that goes away overnight. Not sure you can quite call it a trend, but you've typically seen experienced teams do the best in postseason in the last several years - even though there's teams packed with extraordinary, but young talent.

Romeo will have real pressure on his shoulders to carry this team far in big 10 tournament play and must make the NCAA tournament hope he is up for that challenge. Playing in front of 3000 fans in a gym is not the same playing in an 14,000 to 17,000 arena he hasn’t done yet. He’s not competed against not 1 college player yet and until he does no telling how he will do against guys who will be stronger bigger faster than himtjat hoes for Purdue freshman as well it’s gonna take some adjustment for sure. .

I hope Nojel Eastern gives Romeo a nice welcome to the B1G using his size & experience to D him up even more than how he wore out Tony Carr last year......that will be fun to watch! I am hoping this experience also propels NE to the B1G's best defensive player next year.

Inexperience can be both a blessing and a curse - and it's often game by game. I think there's a lot of potential (and hunger) and think the team we watch in February will be on a different planet than November - but inexperience - not only as individuals, but also a team - is not something that goes away overnight. Not sure you can quite call it a trend, but you've typically seen experienced teams do the best in postseason in the last several years - even though there's teams packed with extraordinary, but young talent.
Good points sir well said. Nojel, Cline,Haarms all played maybe not many min but they all had their moments that help impacted games from what I saw. They return 2 sophomore and a senior along with a one of the top juniors in college basketball carsen that is the experience I speak of. They went through the battles the gained valuable experiences throughout the season knowing next year this time they will be relied upon to lead this young very talented team. I guess what I’m saying Purdue got enough experience players that what the roster suggest the difference they all roles will expand and team physically will look different than last season team. By big 10 play team gonna be scary scary good.

I hope Nojel Eastern gives Romeo a nice welcome to the B1G using his size & experience to D him up even more than how he wore out Tony Carr last year......that will be fun to watch! I am hoping this experience also propels NE to the B1G's best defensive player next year.

I agree that Romeo will probably have a below average game when Nojel guards him, he is a good defender. I just hope that enough attention is payed to Romeo that it opens up other options on the floor. Should be a competitive series of games between IU and Purdue this year.

Minus the C Zeller time-frame, Painter has pretty much owned IU. There will be a tremendous amount of pressure on Archie to win, and win big this year with Romeo including splitting with Purdue at minimum.
We're not that far away from the season starting so we'll all see soon enough.

Yes, I actually do understand your point. It's just a really weird stance to be taking. By your logic, just about every top 200ish recruit is more or less equal. and about 98% of them (complete guess) probably didn't win a state title last year either, so are they now not that great because of that too? I don't understand why winning a state title is a litmus test for success in college to you.

Yes, I actually do understand your point. It's just a really weird stance to be taking. By your logic, just about every top 200ish recruit is more or less equal. and about 98% of them (complete guess) probably didn't win a state title last year either, so are they now not that great because of that too? I don't understand why winning a state title is a litmus test for success in college to you.

Winning a state title is not really a litmus test. it's more of I've heard of Langford and how great he is for the past three years. if he's so great, he should have been able to carry his team on his back in a cakewalk to another state championship last year. The fact he was unable to do so means he's either not as great as his hype, or that a lot of other players are almost as good as he is. I believe the latter is the case.

My other point, is if Langford is projected to start and be a star, then the Purdue recruits should at least be expected to be contributors rather than needing to be redshirted. Sasha and Wheeler redshirted last year, not because they were not ready to contribute, but rather, because there would be little time for them to play. This year is different. We will have some time for all of our players to play. And I believe a guy like Dow will play and contribute rather than needing to redshirt this year.

And yes, I admit there is a difference between the top 25 high school players and the other 50-200 players. I would expect a top 25 high school player to start as a freshman and have a significant impact as a player. And I expect a top 50-200 player to be able to at least contribute and be part of a 10 man rotation rather than red shirting.

yes, our team is young. But we have enough experience and talent to overcome that lack of experience - especially in the backcourt.. An experienced backcourt is your coach on the floor, and can set the tempo and also cover for youthful mistakes. I also see Evan adding to that experience. I don't believe the sky is falling. I believe this team will be almost as good as last year's team. I see this team, even with its inexperience as a 20-25 win team.

Here's what I think , any time you have C Boogie on the team , you have all the experience you need. No need to worry about experience.

Winning a state title is not really a litmus test. it's more of I've heard of Langford and how great he is for the past three years. if he's so great, he should have been able to carry his team on his back in a cakewalk to another state championship last year. The fact he was unable to do so means he's either not as great as his hype, or that a lot of other players are almost as good as he is. I believe the latter is the case.

High school basketball without a shot clock is a bit of a different animal. My high school team had 7 guys committed to D1 schools and we lost to a school with 1 D1 guy (Patrick Bade)...They played a zone and we got eaten alive. Point being...it's hard to win a state title...especially in Indiana

Here's what I think , any time you have C Boogie on the team , you have all the experience you need. No need to worry about experience.
I’m with you Carsen brings plenty of experience but you all no he will need his supporting cast to help him out right he can’t win by himself but he sure as heck gonna cause plenty of headaches for teams. He got Cline his who’s a hellava shooter Matt rim protector, defender ball screen midrange shooter Nojel his backcourt mate that can play and defend multiple positions that many are overlooking him offensively and I say to that beware. Grady mr hustle not including Sasha and Aaron who now over in Italy getting some games under there belt like taking their foreign trip like many college coaches do every August will be ready to help carsen out. Evan has plenty of college experience and ready to show he can play at this level than you add the freakish athletic combo guard hunter Tre biggie 2.0 with ball handling and passing skills last Dow who will be very helpful defensively around the basket but athletically gifted carsen won’t be in this island by himself. This team is young fast athletic skilled with shooters and toughness just need a some games under their belt and once they start clicking as a unit watch out now scary team they will be gone March.

My other point, is if Langford is projected to start and be a star, then the Purdue recruits should at least be expected to be contributors rather than needing to be redshirted. Sasha and Wheeler redshirted last year, not because they were not ready to contribute, but rather, because there would be little time for them to play. This year is different. We will have some time for all of our players to play. And I believe a guy like Dow will play and contribute rather than needing to redshirt this year.

And yes, I admit there is a difference between the top 25 high school players and the other 50-200 players. I would expect a top 25 high school player to start as a freshman and have a significant impact as a player. And I expect a top 50-200 player to be able to at least contribute and be part of a 10 man rotation rather than red shirting.

yes, our team is young. But we have enough experience and talent to overcome that lack of experience - especially in the backcourt.. An experienced backcourt is your coach on the floor, and can set the tempo and also cover for youthful mistakes. I also see Evan adding to that experience. I don't believe the sky is falling. I believe this team will be almost as good as last year's team. I see this team, even with its inexperience as a 20-25 win team.

Your first two paragraphs still make me scratch my head... Your last two paragraphs - I'm mostly in agreement.

Langford is a projected lottery pick, of course he will be a very valuable player in college, no matter what team he ended up playing for (unfortunately IU). Whether or not he won a state championship last year isn't going to somehow magically affect his college play, and it also doesn't somehow elevate the play of our incoming recruits. Not sure why you keep sticking to that angle, the kid is a top 5 recruit for a reason.

We should keep reasonable expectations for our incoming players. The fact of the matter is they're all 3-star kids not even ranked in the top 150 (according to 247 composite). It's going to be a rebuilding year unfortunately. no team in the country is able to easily bounce back after losing 4 starters (except maybe Duke and UK because 1&done). I think our freshmen will have the ability to contribute, but it's yet to be seen. I doubt we have a 10 man rotation come conference play. If we do, then Painter obviously hasn't figured out effective line-ups yet.

Your first two paragraphs still make me scratch my head... Your last two paragraphs - I'm mostly in agreement.

Langford is a projected lottery pick, of course he will be a very valuable player in college, no matter what team he ended up playing for (unfortunately IU). Whether or not he won a state championship last year isn't going to somehow magically affect his college play, and it also doesn't somehow elevate the play of our incoming recruits. Not sure why you keep sticking to that angle, the kid is a top 5 recruit for a reason.

We should keep reasonable expectations for our incoming players. The fact of the matter is they're all 3-star kids not even ranked in the top 150 (according to 247 composite). It's going to be a rebuilding year unfortunately. no team in the country is able to easily bounce back after losing 4 starters (except maybe Duke and UK because 1&done). I think our freshmen will have the ability to contribute, but it's yet to be seen. I doubt we have a 10 man rotation come conference play. If we do, then Painter obviously hasn't figured out effective line-ups yet.

let me put it another way.

looking at the title of the thread. I believe all three of our incoming freshmen are too good to not see time on the court. I don't expect any to be a star as a freshman like Langford will be.. But I do believe they are good enough to be part of at least our early season 10 man rotation.

I believe once the BIG 10 season starts, Painter will narrow down his rotation to about 8 players. I expect to see Williams as part of the 8 man rotation. I expect to see Dow in garbage time, or if Haarms is in foul trouble. I'm not sure what to expect of Hunter . he's definitely talented, but I believe minutes will be given to Sasha and Cline ahead of him. I also expect Wheeler to see some time at SF, and Cline some time at Sg which would limit Hunter's minutes.

Reactions: Schnelk

If you can look up all the 5star all Americans top 50 players from 2017 class look at their college stats and see how different their stats are from HS stats. Langford Michigan state was an all American hasn’t lived up to his status has played well however. Romeo hellava player all the attention was on him his time in HS he has battled with some injuries but the pressure this kid will have on his shoulders will be massive is he ready to shoulder the wait of his team in his shoulder and feed into what the media scouts say he will do. It’s possible but as you no he hasn’t played a game yet at the college level against college level athletes who will be stronger faster and more athletic than him who by the way won’t care who he is or his status but rather try to gain their status of of him if he don’t play as well. Trae young came out the gate killing in non conference winning a lot of attention conference play began they began to loose his numbers dipped a bit t/o mounted and he struggled down the stretch how bad did he get talked about the pressure got him too. What I’m saying that’s a lot of responsibility that the media has already put on his shoulders I sure hope he can handle it when things don’t go as plan. Wish the kid lithe best luck however.

If you can look up all the 5star all Americans top 50 players from 2017 class look at their college stats and see how different their stats are from HS stats. Langford Michigan state was an all American hasn’t lived up to his status has played well however. Romeo hellava player all the attention was on him his time in HS he has battled with some injuries but the pressure this kid will have on his shoulders will be massive is he ready to shoulder the wait of his team in his shoulder and feed into what the media scouts say he will do. It’s possible but as you no he hasn’t played a game yet at the college level against college level athletes who will be stronger faster and more athletic than him who by the way won’t care who he is or his status but rather try to gain their status of of him if he don’t play as well. Trae young came out the gate killing in non conference winning a lot of attention conference play began they began to loose his numbers dipped a bit t/o mounted and he struggled down the stretch how bad did he get talked about the pressure got him too. What I’m saying that’s a lot of responsibility that the media has already put on his shoulders I sure hope he can handle it when things don’t go as plan. Wish the kid lithe best luck however.
I think if you go look at the college stats for the top 25 players from 2017, you would be surprised how good their stats were (minus those that say out with injury, or were ineligible). Out of the top 10, Trevon Duvall had the worst stats, but he averaged 10 pts and 6 asts while playing on a very good team.

Romeo averaged 35 pts, 10 rebs, and 4 assists in high school. No one is expecting him to get close to those numbers. A very realistic expectation for him would be to cut each of those numbers in half.

I think if you go look at the college stats for the top 25 players from 2017, you would be surprised how good their stats were (minus those that say out with injury, or were ineligible). Out of the top 10, Trevon Duvall had the worst stats, but he averaged 10 pts and 6 asts while playing on a very good team.

Romeo averaged 35 pts, 10 rebs, and 4 assists in high school. No one is expecting him to get close to those numbers. A very realistic expectation for him would be to cut each of those numbers in half.
I guess we’ll really never no unless somebody dig into the stats from HS and college you could be right but I personally no of quite a few of those top players all American didn’t have close to their numbers they had in HS in top of that some didn’t play much and some didn’t have the impact on their team as their ranking suggest they would. My son from that class why I’m asking. Realistically he may not average those kinda numbers but the way the media is pushing him it’s there expectation of what they believe he will achieve this season and if he doesn’t what happens how would the media look at him than or would they say he’s just a freshman when you are projected Lito 10 pick in next years draft. Point I’m making is the pressure this kid will have on his back will be a lot and a how far Indiana hoes this season will all be on his shoulders according to the media even tho you all have many other good returning players who in my opinion are just as important for the success of this team.

I guess we’ll really never no unless somebody dig into the stats from HS and college you could be right but I personally no of quite a few of those top players all American didn’t have close to their numbers they had in HS in top of that some didn’t play much and some didn’t have the impact on their team as their ranking suggest they would. My son from that class why I’m asking. Realistically he may not average those kinda numbers but the way the media is pushing him it’s there expectation of what they believe he will achieve this season and if he doesn’t what happens how would the media look at him than or would they say he’s just a freshman when you are projected Lito 10 pick in next years draft. Point I’m making is the pressure this kid will have on his back will be a lot and a how far Indiana hoes this season will all be on his shoulders according to the media even tho you all have many other good returning players who in my opinion are just as important for the success of this team.
We will find out in a few short months, and I cant wait. Best of luck to you and your son.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT