ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter/Dow/Williams...too good to keep off the Court

let me put it another way.

looking at the title of the thread. I believe all three of our incoming freshmen are too good to not see time on the court. I don't expect any to be a star as a freshman like Langford will be.. But I do believe they are good enough to be part of at least our early season 10 man rotation.

I believe once the BIG 10 season starts, Painter will narrow down his rotation to about 8 players. I expect to see Williams as part of the 8 man rotation. I expect to see Dow in garbage time, or if Haarms is in foul trouble. I'm not sure what to expect of Hunter . he's definitely talented, but I believe minutes will be given to Sasha and Cline ahead of him. I also expect Wheeler to see some time at SF, and Cline some time at Sg which would limit Hunter's minutes.

Complete agreement - that’s the most pragmatic thing you’ve said all thread.

If you can look up all the 5star all Americans top 50 players from 2017 class look at their college stats and see how different their stats are from HS stats. Langford Michigan state was an all American hasn’t lived up to his status has played well however. Romeo hellava player all the attention was on him his time in HS he has battled with some injuries but the pressure this kid will have on his shoulders will be massive is he ready to shoulder the wait of his team in his shoulder and feed into what the media scouts say he will do. It’s possible but as you no he hasn’t played a game yet at the college level against college level athletes who will be stronger faster and more athletic than him who by the way won’t care who he is or his status but rather try to gain their status of of him if he don’t play as well. Trae young came out the gate killing in non conference winning a lot of attention conference play began they began to loose his numbers dipped a bit t/o mounted and he struggled down the stretch how bad did he get talked about the pressure got him too. What I’m saying that’s a lot of responsibility that the media has already put on his shoulders I sure hope he can handle it when things don’t go as plan. Wish the kid lithe best luck however.

For every 5-star recruit that doesn’t live up to the hype, there are 15 that get drafted by the NBA. Could happen that Romeo has an awful year, sure, but prbly not. You referenced Trae Young to support your point of 5 stars struggling - but you know he was still a top 5 pick?

For every 5-star recruit that doesn’t live up to the hype, there are 15 that get drafted by the NBA. Could happen that Romeo has an awful year, sure, but prbly not. You referenced Trae Young to support your point of 5 stars struggling - but you know he was still a top 5 pick?
I’m well aware sir and it also mean he might not be either. But I’m done will not go back and forth with this me and the other poster had a good civil discussions I’m not gonna debate with you have a nice day

I’m well aware sir and it also mean he might not be either. But I’m done will not go back and forth with this me and the other poster had a good civil discussions I’m not gonna debate with you have a nice day

Sorry if I said something wrong... didn’t realize we were debating and/or having a discussion that wasn’t civil in your eyes. You replied to one of my posts directed at someone else, so I thought I’d reply to you too.

Sorry if I said something wrong... didn’t realize we were debating and/or having a discussion that wasn’t civil in your eyes. You replied to one of my posts directed at someone else, so I thought I’d reply to you too.
You didn’t say nothing wrong in fact you were correct with what you said just had a Indiana fan Interaction that didn’t go so well when it comes to that player didn’t want to go through that again. It’s all good

Reactions: Schnelk
Obviously, you didn't understand my point. Langford is a great player and projected to be a star. But he still did not lead his team to a championship last year. And we've got players who played against him in high school and AAU and held their own. Edwards actually beat him out for a starting position when they were on the same USA team.

We may not have a top 10 recruit in the nation like Langford. But don't sell our current recruits short. They have a lot of talent! And with great coaching, they will play to their full potential.

Is Hunter as good as Langford? No. But he's not that far behind. Williams, despite all those claims he needs to lose weight, was still a monster on the court last year. Evan was good in high school and started and vastly improved his game in college.

Our guys have a lot more talent than others may believe and they will show the world.

This is the same statement you guys made about Johnson being as good or better than Yogi, coming out of H. S. You were wrong then and you are Definitely wrong now about how close Hunter is to Langford.

This is the same statement you guys made about Johnson being as good or better than Yogi, coming out of H. S. You were wrong then and you are Definitely wrong now about how close Hunter is to Langford.

I'm not saying Hunter is that close to Langford. What I'm saying is if Langford is a projected starter and possible star, then Hunter should be at least good enough to earn playing time and not be redshirted.

You didn’t say nothing wrong in fact you were correct with what you said just had a Indiana fan Interaction that didn’t go so well when it comes to that player didn’t want to go through that again. It’s all good

Oh okay, I see. I'm a Purdue fan, not IU. I just think it's silly when Purdue fans try to demean another player's ability simply because of where he's going to school (you did not partake in that, which I respect!). We'd all be ecstatic if someone like Langford signed with Purdue, and I wish Painter was able to get more top in-state kids more consistently in addition to other top talent close by, like Nojel

Oh okay, I see. I'm a Purdue fan, not IU. I just think it's silly when Purdue fans try to demean another player's ability simply because of where he's going to school (you did not partake in that, which I respect!). We'd all be ecstatic if someone like Langford signed with Purdue, and I wish Painter was able to get more top in-state kids more consistently in addition to other top talent close by, like Nojel
Just trying to keep the peace. Watch out for number 20 tho he’s back and ready to Ball. So many sleeping on my baby boy. He gonna make many open their eyes this season.

Actually we are more right than when you loosiers proclaim before each season how the upcoming one will be 'the one that gets us back'.

So clean up your own house before you come to a Purdue forum and try to dictate what is said on here.

And stop burning my fries. Being a fry cook cannot be that hard of a job.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think you are making up a straw man argument. Not one of us said that E. Hunter was as good as Langford.

Of course, now your post will be used as an example that the guys on the Purdue board think Hunter and Langford are about equal...

Reactions: BoilerIron
I think you are making up a straw man argument. Not one of us said that E. Hunter was as good as Langford.

Of course, now your post will be used as an example that the guys on the Purdue board think Hunter and Langford are about equal...

Agreed, no one has said Hunter is as good as Langford. I'm not sure there are many that predict Hunter to redshirt either. He's better than that. Not sure how good he'll be as a freshman, but pretty sure good enough to contribute.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
More class than any of you loosiers. Again, clean your own house first before coming here and trying to clean ours.

My house is in fine condition. There are plenty of Purdue fans here who can comment with class and intelligence without being demeaning. You're not one of them. Does it really make you feel better to call us loosiers and make jokes about fry cooks? If that's what it takes to make you feel big, I feel bad for you.

Did not say as good, not close to Langford.

Did not say as good, not close to Langford.
I don't intend to split words with you. My point is that this board is read and sometimes quoted (misquoted often) on the national board. Somebody I see might take your post (yes, from an IU fan) and state that we are "saying this on the Purdue Board".

I see it happen all the time with one poster in particular. He waits for the most homer post and then runs to the national board and tattles. Most of them chide him for being such an obsessed a-hole.

In one of the other chains, one of our posters put out some ridiculous troll bait and this "spy" thought it was a real perspective on the BIG. Too funny.

Michael Jordan never won a HS state title. Doesn't have much to do with anything. Were all the kids who won state titles in North Carolina as good as Michael Jordan now?

Warren Central (who beat New Albany in semis) was undefeated last year and had an historic squad.

edit: none of our recruits are from warren central and none of their players are signed with D1 programs after a quick search
So why did you bring up the fact that his team won a state title, then backtrack and tell us it doesn't mean anything? You are now arguing with yourself.

Geez, you guys are really hurting for some good vibes, hoping to find it here.

I think if you go look at the college stats for the top 25 players from 2017, you would be surprised how good their stats were (minus those that say out with injury, or were ineligible). Out of the top 10, Trevon Duvall had the worst stats, but he averaged 10 pts and 6 asts while playing on a very good team.

Romeo averaged 35 pts, 10 rebs, and 4 assists in high school. No one is expecting him to get close to those numbers. A very realistic expectation for him would be to cut each of those numbers in half.
So you think it's "very realistic" that Langford will score 17.5 ppg as a freshman?

No. Langford is not Gordon.
You're right. Langford has proven to be a better scorer at the same stage. I didn't say Romeo would average 17.5. I said it was a realistic possibility.

If you want my predictions for him, I think he averages 15 pts, 6 rebs, and 2 asts.

Reactions: KisteK
Then I think it takes him 15 plus shots to get that and 6 boards a game is ridiculous. He'll be lucky to get half that many. But I think you're right about the 2 assists as the ball will stick in his hands.

Then I think it takes him 15 plus shots to get that and 6 boards a game is ridiculous. He'll be lucky to get half that many. But I think you're right about the 2 assists as the ball will stick in his hands.
You do realize James Blackmon averaged 16 pts as a freshman right. You dont think Romeo is a better scorer than Blackmon?

Romeo will get a lot of rebounds, because it will be guards trying to block him out. You will see the same thing with Eastern.

Reactions: mathboy
So why did you bring up the fact that his team won a state title, then backtrack and tell us it doesn't mean anything? You are now arguing with yourself.

Geez, you guys are really hurting for some good vibes, hoping to find it here.

What? I didn't bring it up. Someone else said that Langford never won a state title (to support his argument that he's not that great of a player), so I just mentioned that Langford actually did as a sophomore.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. I was saying that whether a player wins a state title or not doesn't have any impact on his play at the next level (why I brought up MJ, and held to that point in my continued discussion about Langford's potential impact). If I contradicted myself anywhere, please point it out to me in a more eloquent manner.

Last edited:
I don’t think any of the incoming freshmen will comfortably slide into a starting role. Maybe Williams has the best chance because he is so aggressive with rebounding. All of the 3 freshmen will get playing time though, and they will do well.

From the little I know, Dow might be the most raw. I worry that he will not be able to translate his athletic ability into real basketball skills. We have all seen this story before where a good athlete just never makes the leap to a good basketball player.

I didn't say never. I said last year. And I'll also predict Romeo scores 17+ ppg and Archie will allow him to take as many shots as he wants to reach that point total. And if the coach allows it, I have to believe Langford will do it. On the same note, I expect to see some ugly efficiency stat lines.

As for not being a great shooter, I've seen some coaches tell their players to just fire away and have the remainder of their team running for rebounds of missed shots and the strategy produces some very ugly shooting stats, but also a lot of wins.

I didn't say never. I said last year. And I'll also predict Romeo scores 17+ ppg and Archie will allow him to take as many shots as he wants to reach that point total. And if the coach allows it, I have to believe Langford will do it. On the same note, I expect to see some ugly efficiency stat lines.

As for not being a great shooter, I've seen some coaches tell their players to just fire away and have the remainder of their team running for rebounds of missed shots and the strategy produces some very ugly shooting stats, but also a lot of wins.

"Last time I looked, Langford did not lead his team to a state championship."

That was the original statement to which I was responding, and it is a verifiably false statement. On the surface, it applies to Langford's entire HS career. As our discussion evolved, it became clear you were referring to his senior year - but that was not clear from your original statement alone.

"Last time I looked, Langford did not lead his team to a state championship."

That was the original statement to which I was responding, and it is a verifiably false statement. On the surface, it applies to Langford's entire HS career. As our discussion evolved, it became clear you were referring to his senior year - but that was not clear from your original statement alone.

admittedly, I should have included the words last year at the end of that sentence. People complain my posts are too long, so I tried to shorten it, and inferred last year. Never again will I try to shorten my posts.:cool:

admittedly, I should have included the words last year at the end of that sentence. People complain my posts are too long, so I tried to shorten it, and inferred last year. Never again will I try to shorten my posts.:cool:

Lol thanks for the validation. I wasn't trying to play "fact checker." But I just couldn't bring myself to read something I knew to be false on the surface and not say something. As you can probably see, my "correction" was my first post on this forum haha. I usually just stalk and read.

All this talk about romeo's scoring . I went to the IHSAA website and looked up the scoring records, low and behold , guess who I saw down there in 7th place?
I think we have a pretty good incoming freshman ourselves. And he'll probably be around longer than 1 year.

He reminds me of Walls - a power forward on our team in the late 70's. Walls didn't score much, but he could defend the best of players and rebound. Of the members of the soul train, he was my favorite.

Reactions: Inspector100
Williams came in at 315 lbs. Down to 290. Painter says he is closer to a 6 than a 4 at this point (he is jokingly saying he is a center, not a PF).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
R.A.W. aka project
I admit I've seen nothing but a few videos. is he raw on both offense and defense? His athletic ability would make him much more serviceable on D than the time it takes to develop skill and understanding of O. Out of the clouds just due to atheltic ability and length I can see him hitting the floor. how long...that would take some viewing...

Williams came in at 315 lbs. Down to 290. Painter says he is closer to a 6 than a 4 at this point (he is jokingly saying he is a center, not a PF).
I would never have guessed 290 seeing him Saturday. I thought maybe 275/280. I suppose 10 more pounds over that body isn't much different?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT