ADVERTISEMENT

How many years till Purdue plays in the big ten championship game?

Summy1

Junior
Jun 17, 2015
Wisconsin is the main team Purdue has to compete with in order to clinch a spot. Purdue fans would pack Lucas oil stadium.

And the BIG 10 will probably add two more teams most likely Oklahoma or Texas! Purdue was competive in every game this year with inferior talent! The key to Purdue being in a championship game will be dependent on having an all big 10 caliber QB!

Reactions: ChuckJr
I'm wondering when an elite qb is going to want to play for Brohm at Purdue? Should get one soon.

And the BIG 10 will probably add two more teams most likely Oklahoma or Texas! Purdue was competive in every game this year with inferior talent! The key to Purdue being in a championship game will be dependent on having an all big 10 caliber QB!

Is there more smoke lately about expansion? I’d have to believe the Big 12 would add two teams or more before simply folding. I’d have to think UCF, USF, Boise St, and a few others from the AAC and the Mountain West.

Wisconsin is the main team Purdue has to compete with in order to clinch a spot. Purdue fans would pack Lucas oil stadium.
It will take 1 exceptional QB the likes of Drew Brees and a rock solid defense to get there. Focus on improvement and enjoy the ride. Otherwise we could be in turmoil like UT or A&M and firing coaches believing we should be in championship games every year.

Reactions: skfboiler
Plummer could be that QB. Add a couple of the WRs Brohm is targeting, add some offensive linemen, and in Plummer's junior year after red shirting we will contend for a title! That seems realistic! That would be 2021!

The arrow does point aggressively north...no doubt about that...but we may underestimate how difficult it is to reproduce the physicality of our front 7 this year. It kind of just happened, so we give all the credit to the new coaching staff. Mature, physical LB's and disruptive tackles....you can recruit pretty well and not come up with the combination we had this year. Best we've had combined since 2003 at minimum - maybe longer than that. It wasn't just coaching on defense.

Am I crazy to think next year? Assuming we lose to OSU, we could possibly be 6-1 in the B1G heading into the home game against Wisconsin. Win that and then wrap it up against that team from the south and we would be 8-1 in the B1G and 6-0 vs the West.

It's the off-season (pretty much) so it is time to be optimistic! I'm hopeful that happens but realistically we probably get 7 or 8 wins.

Am I crazy to think next year? Assuming we lose to OSU, we could possibly be 6-1 in the B1G heading into the home game against Wisconsin. Win that and then wrap it up against that team from the south and we would be 8-1 in the B1G and 6-0 vs the West.

It's the off-season (pretty much) so it is time to be optimistic! I'm hopeful that happens but realistically we probably get 7 or 8 wins.

I’m the same way. That’s why I like being in the West. Just beat Wisconsin, and you’ve got a really good shot. Iowa and Nebraska are so inconsistent.

Aside - conference expansion is slow right now. Might pick up again in ‘21 when new tv deals happen. But even then I’d be shocked if Texas moves.

Reactions: Purdue11
2020 if Brohm stays.
TC you stole my thunder with 2020, his guys(his recruits) will be Juniors and Seniors by then.
If he can put together for sure 2, but hopefully 3 really good recruiting classes together in a line, it will be Nuts around this University, now gotta Go hard and get it done!

I expect our competition also has the same optimism as we do. I expect Nebraska fans are asking the same questions. I suspect Nebraska, UW and Iowa will all be tough teams in the future. I also suspect our schedule will include different teams from the EAST than we had this year. We could have O$U, Mich , Penn St and/or MSU on our schedule. This could lead to 1-2 additional losses. Be thankful we keep IU on our schedule as an EAST team.

What I'm saying is for the foreseeable future, my expectations are for 3-4 conference losses. Just because we had success against certain teams this year does not mean we will enjoy that same success in the future.

one must remember we were 6-6 this year, not 8-4. We found a way to win 6 games. but we also found a way to lose 2 games a championship contender would have won.

Yes but Brohm did this in his first season with players mainly handed to him. Just wait till he has a few recruiting classes. No reason to believe they can't compete.

QUOTE="Wolegib, post: 1570612, member: 37187"]I expect our competition also has the same optimism as we do. I expect Nebraska fans are asking the same questions. I suspect Nebraska, UW and Iowa will all be tough teams in the future. I also suspect our schedule will include different teams from the EAST than we had this year. We could have O$U, Mich , Penn St and/or MSU on our schedule. This could lead to 1-2 additional losses. Be thankful we keep IU on our schedule as an EAST team.

What I'm saying is for the foreseeable future, my expectations are for 3-4 conference losses. Just because we had success against certain teams this year does not mean we will enjoy that same success in the future.

one must remember we were 6-6 this year, not 8-4. We found a way to win 6 games. but we also found a way to lose 2 games a championship contender would have won.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy the ride. Two, three or more 8-4 seasons are still very good. It will be difficult (even for me too) to not use our forum to trash coaches and program when we are not hitting elite program levels of New Year’s Day bowls and conference championships. It takes time.

Enjoy the ride. Two, three or more 8-4 seasons are still very good. It will be difficult (even for me too) to not use our forum to trash coaches and program when we are not hitting elite program levels of New Year’s Day bowls and conference championships. It takes time.

Funny you say that. I remember saying the same thing immediately after Joe's magical 1997 season. A lot of people scoffed, but it's human nature. Very few people are satisfied, especially with a sports program. That can be both good and bad: good when it drives you to greater success; bad when you think you're owed it, or deserve it.

The human failing of envy, greed, etc., takes hold. It's playing out in the $EC, what with Saban's success. Administration/fans think they're entitled to what others have achieved.

Politicians play on this basic human emotion . . . going after "the wealthy" . . . the "1%" . . . "big corporations" (as if that is such a person).

There are lots of analogies between sports and life!

Reactions: ITSC-Ret
I " suspect Nebraska, UW and Iowa will all be tough teams in the future. I also suspect our schedule will include different teams from the EAST than we had this year. We could have O$U, Mich , Penn St and/or MSU on our schedule. This could lead to 1-2 additional losses. Be thankful we keep IU on our schedule as an EAST team."

that's what i was thinking when people were talking early this year about the tough schedule the boilers had this year.
no msu, psu, osu. the schedule probably won't get easier ever
it's nice to feel good about purdue football and coach brohm but ...

Last edited:
And now Nebraska with Scott Frost.
Not sold on Nebraska as they have been on a downward trajectory since leaving the Big 12. If Frost rebounds Nebraska, don’t discount him jumping for a bigger gig. Harder to recruit with the schedule playing in Iowa, Whisky, Illinois, Minny, and West Lafayette versus Texas, Oklahoma, and in then Big 12.

I think Frost improves them but recruiting to Nebraska is going to prove a bit harder Orlando.

The arrow does point aggressively north...no doubt about that...but we may underestimate how difficult it is to reproduce the physicality of our front 7 this year. It kind of just happened, so we give all the credit to the new coaching staff. Mature, physical LB's and disruptive tackles....you can recruit pretty well and not come up with the combination we had this year. Best we've had combined since 2003 at minimum - maybe longer than that. It wasn't just coaching on defense.
Pretty well sums it. Our defense was a top 3 or 4 in the conference and we'll be tough to top in 2018.

Not sold on Nebraska as they have been on a downward trajectory since leaving the Big 12. If Frost rebounds Nebraska, don’t discount him jumping for a bigger gig. Harder to recruit with the schedule playing in Iowa, Whisky, Illinois, Minny, and West Lafayette versus Texas, Oklahoma, and in then Big 12.

I think Frost improves them but recruiting to Nebraska is going to prove a bit harder Orlando.

I'm not totally sold on Nebraska! But I'm also not totally sold on Purdue either! My thoughts are just because we beat Iowa this year and Nebraska was down this year doesn't mean we should believe Purdue will always be able to beat them in the future! I can see Nebraska Playing in the BIG 10 championship game just as easily as I can see UW or Purdue or Iowa! I see Purdue before Minn, NW, Iowa, Rutgers and Maryland. And sorry sports fans, I don't ever see IU in the championship game.

I " suspect Nebraska, UW and Iowa will all be tough teams in the future. I also suspect our schedule will include different teams from the EAST than we had this year. We could have O$U, Mich , Penn St and/or MSU on our schedule. This could lead to 1-2 additional losses. Be thankful we keep IU on our schedule as an EAST team."

that's what i was thinking when people were talking early this year about the tough schedule the boilers had this year.
no msu, psu, osu. the schedule probably won't get easier ever
it's nice to feel good about purdue football and coach brohm but ...

2018 we pick up OSU and MSU, drop Michigan and Rutgers.

2019 we pick up PSU and Maryland, drop OSU and MSU.

2020 we pick up Rutgers and Michigan, drop PSU and MD

2021 we pick up OSU and MSU, drop Rutgers and Michigan.

Notice a pattern? Right now, it looks like the worst rotation will be OSU/MSU, assuming MSU stays relevant.

The point about Nebraska is a valid one. If Scott Frost makes them relevant again, that makes our road tougher. But, that's what I want: An incredibly tough B1G.

Nebraska is the new wildcard. Frost is the real deal offensively. Anxious to see if he can recruit his type of athletes to Lincoln.

I say bring it on.

QUOTE="Purdue85, post: 1571101, member: 896"]2018 we pick up OSU and MSU, drop Michigan and Rutgers.

Notice a pattern? Right now, it looks like the worst rotation will be OSU/MSU, assuming MSU stays relevant.

The point about Nebraska is a valid one. If Scott Frost makes them relevant again, that makes our road tougher. But, that's what I want: An incredibly tough B1G.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Frankie611
2018 we pick up OSU and MSU, drop Michigan and Rutgers.

The point about Nebraska is a valid one. If Scott Frost makes them relevant again, that makes our road tougher. But, that's what I want: An incredibly tough B1G.

good info. do all teams in the west play each other each year

If they add those two teams, wouldn't that push us into the east division?

I think realistically 2020-2021 something like that. Understand though that it is going to take a once in a generation recruit (Drew Brees) to go 8-1 to get us there and it is something to hope for once every 10 years or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT