ADVERTISEMENT

How do you think.....

Nov 30, 2003
it effects the team mentality, when they know CMP will never make a defensive adjustment (coaching) to counter an opponent's offense when they are clicking on all cylinders and shooting lights out?

• Haha
Reactions: northside100
it effects the team mentality, when they know CMP will never make a defensive adjustment (coaching) to counter an opponent's offense when they are clicking on all cylinders and shooting lights out?
Lolol is this a real question?

But just to humor you, no not when you’re winning as much as Purdue is. If I were a player and my coach told us to play zone vs a team shooting 60% from 3, I would second guess him. Theres quite a few things , but there were some lazy passes by our offense yesterday that got deflected or stolen and turned into fast break points. Also, I think it’s a pretty good philosophy when you let a 26% 3 pt shooter be wide open and take it. If he makes it, ya live with it cuz the averages is on your side that hell miss 74% of the time. Nebraska and northwestern shot 50-60% from 3 and we lost. Tough to beat teams when they do that…and it’s happened 2 times out of 16 this year. We beat Alabama after they hit 19 3s…not a lot of teams can overcome that.

If we allow the next two teams to hit 60% of 3s on double digit makes, then yeah, maybe start questioning it. But also, it’s on the players to play defense. It’s not like we are sagging off dudes and letting them hit 3s. We are trailing the curl, or Tominaga ran off of 4 different screens and double screens in one sequence.

Reactions: Flot and Nappanee
Most coaches would zone or press as a last-gasp effort to change things up, but CMP does not allow for that kind of option. Imagine playing golf w/only 2-3 golf clubs. BTW, most kids in jr high and high school play/learn zone and press.
The comedy on this board never stops. Yes, let’s zone the team that is hitting 60 % from 3… with a 5’-10” guy out front…

Anything to change momentum, stop the bleeding. Call time out, yell at refs, get tech on purpose, 1/2 court press?
I would have called another TO in the first half.

He did yell at the refs. No to tech. Too many freebies already.

Don’t have the length or athleticism to press effectively. At least our starters don’t. You could maybe cobble together an average press with Heide, Morton, Jones, Furst and Colvin?

Edit: And I’m not anti-zone. I do think we should have it in our toolbox. But not for this game. I am thinking zone as a change up in a game against a quick undersized team who is taking us off the dribble but aren’t great shooters.

Reactions: z_one and Dryfly88
LOL It just NEVER ENDS after every single loss it's ALL Matt's Fault. I will say it again Purdue has the worst fans in the country. Already planning on hearing Matt Needs to be Fired if Purdue doesn't make the Final 4. Agree Purdue has weaknesses and these rankings absolutely mean nothing. Matt has 3 of the top 89 Rivals Player's coming in next season so even after Edey is gone the program will continue to make the NCAA Tourney.

Purdue has the best resume in college basketball. The perimeter defense needs to be better. Chris Kramer is not walking out of the tunnel so the back court needs to try and improve defensively. But you can only do what you can do with the personnel on hand. What I hope is Matt can find a lineup defensively that fits in the situation they faced against Nebraska when a team is lights out from outside. Nebraska has been lighting it up at home in the Big 10 beating MSU, IU and now Purdue. You use a loss to try and improve. The defensive intensity needs to improve on the road.

The comedy on this board never stops. Yes, let’s zone the team that is hitting 60 % from 3… with a 5’-10” guy out front…
You are absolutely correct. The only team I have seen that played a zone which was consistently good an entire game is Syracuse's 2/3 zone under Jim Boeheim. He used it to advance in the NCAA Tournament too due to team's not having experience against it. Think of that IU team several years ago that won the Big 10 and had 2 first round NBA player's on it.

I read Boeheim actually recruited player's to play specifically that 2/3 zone Syracuse ran. Ie... Tall guards with long arms. You just don't throw a zone defense out there without practicing it or having the right player's to play it. Personally I have never liked zone defense because it is a passive defense and as I pointed out the good one's have to fit your player's talents.

After watching Purdue lose 2 of their 3 Big 10 games on the road giving up 88 in both losses. I think the team may want to slow the game way down on the road turning it into a half court battle. Plus learning to come out with better defensive intensity. Nebraska played harder than Purdue. The next road test will be at IU and we shall see if Purdue can respond.

Last edited:
LOL It just NEVER ENDS after every single loss it's ALL Matt's Fault. I will say it again Purdue has the worst fans in the country. Already planning on hearing Matt Needs to be Fired if Purdue doesn't make the Final 4. Agree Purdue has weaknesses and these rankings absolutely mean nothing. Matt has 3 of the top 89 Rivals Player's coming in next season so even after Edey is gone the program will continue to make the NCAA Tourney.

Purdue has the best resume in college basketball. The perimeter defense needs to be better. Chris Kramer is not walking out of the tunnel so the back court needs to try and improve defensively. But you can only do what you can do with the personnel on hand. What I hope is Matt can find a lineup defensively that fits in the situation they faced against Nebraska when a team is lights out from outside. Nebraska has been lighting it up at home in the Big 10 beating MSU, IU and now Purdue. You use a loss to try and improve. The defensive intensity needs to improve on the road.
I agree with a lot here but I wouldn’t say worst fans in the country though!!! 😂

It has them with the mentality of being the #1 team in the nation three years in a row despite having 0 five stars and one high four star.

I'd say their mentality is great!

Most coaches would zone or press as a last-gasp effort to change things up, but CMP does not allow for that kind of option. Imagine playing golf w/only 2-3 golf clubs. BTW, most kids in jr high and high school play/learn zone and press.

What zone would stop that shooting?? The opposite....
That is what stops a zone....great shooting.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I'd guess they trust their coach that has them in the top 10 in the nation for 3 years in a row.
That is no guess. They know Matt knows the game as previous players have commented as well. Matt recruits typical high IQ players and so they are more likely to look inside and understand what went on. Lastly, I doubt any coach says a certain way of playing always produced wins, but would be in agreement that whatever approach a coach take being efficient and effective in the chosen approach is MUCH MORE important than the particular approach. No mystery there! Some approaches are superior, but being efficient in an inferior approach can be better than being inefficient in a superior approach.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
He adjusted by playing Heide on Tominaga. Truthfully, Tominaga hit some incredible shots when well guarded. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other guy.
Matt rotated three people on Tominaga...Ethan, Cam and Lance trying quickness and length. He made great shots before as he did last night...and did it against a lot of teams

The only change might have been some kind of press once they got down double digits again late. But it’s not something they do or practice, so they can’t just whip it up. It likely would have been beaten for easy looks.

The only change might have been some kind of press once they got down double digits again late. But it’s not something they do or practice, so they can’t just whip it up. It likely would have been beaten for easy looks.
I certainly hope they practice a press…even if it’s not used.

It has them with the mentality of being the #1 team in the nation three years in a row despite having 0 five stars and one high four star.

I'd say their mentality is great!
Maybe it is one low five star and another 6 four star…….

I am not basing this on last night. I just hope we don’t have a repeat of the last 2 years. We beat some of the best teams in the country early in the year. We get a number 1 rating. We probably win the NCAA tournament if played in December.

We get to the heart of the BT season. Other teams seem to play games of the season against us, because we have a bullseye on our back. We seem to wear out as the season goes on. Our shots start to get colder while our opponents cannot miss or we run up against a really hustling athletic team and March success escapes again.

Hopefully last night was just a 2 off, including Northwestern from earlier.

I agree with a lot here but I wouldn’t say worst fans in the country though!!! 😂
I am a Purdue fan. But geesh every time they lose a game you see the comments I replied too... Go back and look at the comments after the Northwestern loss. Heck go back and look at the comments after the team won the Big Tournament against Penn State.

Quite frankly seeing how the Big Ten has performed in the NCAA Tournament the last few seasons and Purdue's resume in non conference play. If Purdue does not win the Big 10 Conference and still receives a high seed I'd take that as a compliment.

Watching the way Edey gets mugged in the Big 10 games versus non conference play gives you an indication of possibly why the Big 10 struggles in the Tournament. Maybe if the Big 10 was officiated differently it would force ALL Big 10 Teams to change their style of play for the better...

Rightly or Wrongly alot of National media don't respect the Big 10 and their are reasons for this... If Wisconsin goes on to win the Big 10 this year I am very interested in how they fare in the tournament. Because why Wisky has success with their style. I dislike watching Wisconsin Basketball.

There were certainly things Painter could have done different, some of that timeout usage, some personnel, but zone definitely wasn't a solution for a team who was primarily focused on three point shooting unless I suppose you are going to try a 3-2 but doubtful.

I concur that it's perplexing that Painter never considers using a zone as a changeup for hot offenses, but the reality is he's never ever ever ever going to do it, and folks should just stop talking about it.

Reactions: Gman544
In this case, if the team wasn't mentally in the game from the start -- like last nighty -- I don't think it would affect them, if what you suggest ever truly happens.

Wisconsin goes on to win the Big 10 this year I am very interested in how they fare in the tournament. Because why Wisky has success with their style. I dislike watching Wisconsin Basketball.

I used to hate watching Wisc. This year they are a little more high scoring making them more tolerable to watch. All their guys can hit the 3. The way Purdue defends the 3, I will be surprised if we win @ Madison. BUT it's looking like the Wisky games vs Purdue might decide the B10 though

Wisky won convincingly on road last night at a pretty good OSU, a great road win.... something we have yet to do in the B10. W keeps doing that, they will be top 10 by time we face them.

Last edited:
I used to hate watching Wisc. This year they are a little more high scoring making them more tolerable to watch. All their guys can hit the 3. The way Purdue defends the 3, I will be surprised if we win @ Madison. BUT it's looking like the Wisky games vs Purdue might decide the B10 though

Wisky won convincingly on road last night at a pretty good OSU, a great road win.... something we have yet to do in the B10. W keeps doing that, they will be top 10 by time we face them.
AJ Storr is really good and has turned them into a dangerous team with the pieces they have around him. Did not watch the Arizona, UT or Providence games for Wisconsin but they are obviously beatable. However, they look very tough and need to definitely bring our A game when we play them.

I am a Purdue fan. But geesh every time they lose a game you see the comments I replied too... Go back and look at the comments after the Northwestern loss. Heck go back and look at the comments after the team won the Big Tournament against Penn State.
A large contingent of Purdue fans are soft and mentally weak, clearly beaten down by 40+ years on no Final Fours.

Its really sad because very little of what has happened before has any bearing on this year but people still let it affect their psyche.

A large contingent of Purdue fans are soft and mentally weak, clearly beaten down by 40+ years on no Final Fours.

Its really sad because very little of what has happened before has any bearing on this year but people still let it affect their psyche.
💯💯💯💯

Purdue basketball has a great fan base as evidenced by sellouts. People are great fans and put alot of money down to support Purdue & Purdue sports. Sure there are complaints after losses, but that indicates passion, interest and caring more than anything else. More B10 championships than any other team have developed this passion.

He put Heide and Gillis in at start of 2nd, was that not a defensive adjustment?

He put Heide and Gillis in at start of 2nd, was that not a defensive adjustment?

It was. Heide focused on Tominga some. I thought he did well limiting him compared to his monster H1.

Trouble is other guys went off in H2.
And Purdue just wasn't ready offensively. So they would have beaten us even if that wasn't the case. Any time Purdue has a sub 40 pt half is a major concern the way they defend.

Reactions: Schnelk
Purdue basketball has a great fan base as evidenced by sellouts. People are great fans and put alot of money down to support Purdue & Purdue sports. Sure there are complaints after losses, but that indicates passion, interest and caring more than anything else. More B10 championships than any other team have developed this passion.
Agree with all that. I love our fan base....even the ones who are soft. But it's also exhausting experiencing their rollercoaster of emotions.

15 years ago, I let the outcome of a game affect my attitude to the point my wife didn't like being around me. I've fortunately matured beyond that and wish others would see how unhealthy it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck

It is worse than that. For some a single entity or simplicity of a view as to a reason why it exists in their eyes is so easy to see without the reason for why that single entity holds such high regard in some minds. They just know it when they see it and yet sometimes they don't know what they don't know. All fan bases have that at all levels. Their minds find a single thing that still exists and so they gravitate to that single thing as a reason for previous results...when it may only be part of the reason.

Many that flip two heads in a row...just know that the "next flip" has to be tails thinking the probability of the NEXT throw dependent on the previous flip or two

BS. Purdue fans are some of the best in the land. 64 sellouts in a row. Sold out the women's game last night. Sold out Ross Ade most games last year even with a losing record. Great fans, knowledgeable and loyal. Complain? Sure. No more than other fan bases and less than many others.

Reactions: Schnelk
BS. Purdue fans are some of the best in the land. 64 sellouts in a row. Sold out the women's game last night. Sold out Ross Ade most games last year even with a losing record. Great fans, knowledgeable and loyal. Complain? Sure. No more than other fan bases and less than many others.
@boilerzz Can you both not be correct?

This is true-

"A large contingent of Purdue fans are soft and mentally weak, clearly beaten down by 40+ years on no Final Fours.
Its really sad because very little of what has happened before has any bearing on this year but people still let it affect their psyche."

You comments are also true in that they do go to games and are more knowledgeable than some fan bases overall and share a lot of similarities with other fan bases. The sellout last night we know wasn't to see Purdue as much as Caitlin Clark.

Reactions: boilerzz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT