ADVERTISEMENT

Horrocks trending up; pre-NU notes

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004

Bree Horrocks’ fourth-quarter scoring outburst against Incarnate Word last month didn’t matter to the outcome – Purdue won by 68 points – but they certainly mattered to her.

The 15-point quarter, in which Horrocks hit all seven of her field goals, has served as a needed confidence boost. And since, the sophomore center has continued to play the best basketball of her young Purdue career.

Starting with Word, Horrocks has averaged 6.2 points in the last five games, including a seven-minute outing vs. Ball State, a smaller opponent in which she didn’t match up well, while shooting 71.4 percent (15 of 21) from the field.

“That game helped me see and remind myself what I could do in the post,” Horrocks said before Wednesday’s practice. “Even though it was kind of easy – if you can score 15 points in one quarter, there’s something wrong (with the defense) there – it reminded me that I do have a good right-hand hook and I can turn around and stick one. Before, my first option was always to take the ball back out, but if I am open and I am that deep in the paint, then I should shoot.”

It’s given Purdue a good boost. Horrocks has been able to pair with starter Torrie Thornton as a 1-2 in the post – freshman Nora Kiesler gets in as well – to help solidify the 5 spot. The duo had 12 points and eight rebounds, while holding Chatrice White in check, in the win over Illinois on Sunday. They’ll be challenged again vs. Northwestern at 8 p.m. Thursday in Evanston.

Horrocks’ development has come slowly, but the sophomore feels now that she is getting there.

“It definitely has been a process and I’m taking baby steps, and allowing (myself) to know those baby steps are something to be proud of, instead of looking for something to change overnight,” the 6-foot-5 center said. “That’s something that’s been really important for me. I am more comfortable and it’s been a daily effort to be positive and confident.

“I try not to look at the stat sheet too much – there are things that I’m proud of on there – but I like to look at the things you don’t see, like setting good screens that help my teammates get the shot off or giving a good pass, facilitating inside-out. I’m trying to look at those more importantly.”

Horrocks still has more room to grow. She’s not rebounded as well as could be hoped for a big post, averaging only 1.3 per game this season, with a career-high of only four. But her confidence – and general know-how – has helped out her foot speed a bit, which in turn might help on the glass.

But she’ll keep taking baby steps.

“It’s just building her confidence,” Coach Sharon Versyp said. “I think she has confidence (now) and her teammates have really stepped up and have encouraged her that they have her back. And when you know your teammates believe in you, then you step up a little bit more. And she’s studied the game more, watching a lot of film, understanding the scouts and personnel. All of that together really puts you in a better place to be successful.”

439309.jpg
Tiara Murphy is available again for the Boilermakers, after missing five games with an injury.

She also sat out a sixth – in Sunday’s win over Illinois – but was available, if needed. She’s recovering from a stress reaction in her lower left leg.

Versyp said Purdue didn’t want to play Murphy Sunday, because she’d had only three full practices, but the wait ‘til Thursday gives the freshman a full week.

“Now we’re real confident moving forward,” Versyp said.

Murphy could be valuable. With Justine Hall’s semester transfer, Purdue was temporarily down to only three guards in its rotation – although Andreona Keys and Bridget Perry could play on the perimeter – meaning Murphy could get minutes. She was averaging 4.3 a game, but shooting well, through the first seven games.

“The biggest thing is her starting to understand what we’re looking for at the point guard position,” Versyp said. “I need her to score for us – we need another scoring threat – and she’s not afraid to score the ball, and someone who can create on the offensive end for others. Those were the things that she was doing early … but she’s got to be able to step up and do those things. But she’s going to make mistakes, she hasn’t had the opportunity to play since she was hurt. She’s a baller and a confident kid.”

439309.jpg
Versyp goes for win No. 206 on Thursday, a milestone that would tie her with former Purdue coach Lin Dunn atop Purdue’s all-time victories list.

But the 10th-year head coach isn’t thinking about that.

“Right now, it’s just doing what’s great for the team,” she said. “We just want to continue to battle and be competitive, and if we end up with wins, then that’s fantastic. Until those moments happens, and the next two, three, four games it doesn’t get any easier, I haven’t thought about it.

“But when you come and are coaching at Purdue, you take a lot of pride. And I’m honored to be here. Coach Dunn and everyone before me did amazing things. I’m just part of something that I really cherish.”

439309.jpg
The 16th-ranked Wildcats (12-2 overall, 1-1 in the Big Ten) might be Purdue’s best opponent to date.

The Boilermakers (11-2, 2-0) feel good about the opportunity, heading to Evanston the winners of six straight.

The Wildcats are one of the top teams in the nation in several statistical categories, ranking second in the nation in turnovers per game (10.9), fourth in three-point field goal percentage defense (.239) and eighth in steals per game (12.4). And they can score, averaging 78.6 points per game, the sixth-best in the Big Ten.

“They just know how to play,” Versyp said. “They do a great job of sucking you in (defensively) and then kicking the ball out.

“… We have to play great defense, but we’ve got to put points up in order to be successful.”

439309.jpg
Purdue’s had three transfers since the end of last season, with the departures of Haley Bodnar, Erica Moore and Hall, the latter two coming within the last few weeks.

And Lamina Cooper, a member of the 2015 signing class, didn’t enroll at Purdue in the fall, although it’s a possibility that she could at a latter date.

Versyp was asked about the departures, specifically if there’s a common reason tying them together.

"I think just trying to stay committed to the process, accepting roles, accepting when you're time (is), putting in the work, putting in extra work, doing what you need to do," she said. "And it's tough when everything isn't perfect in their world, for them, so it is what it is, but the loyalty of working through things and being here for four years and understanding where you need to be, that's (it). But it's happening all over the country, whether you play 35 minutes or you play eight minutes, it's a now generation."

Purdue has only 10 scholarship players now, with three seniors leaving and three freshmen coming in next season. It's still heavily recruiting Heritage Christian senior Tyasha Harris, a '16 guard who will sign in the spring.

Versyp says the transfers don't change her recruiting plans.

"No, we've got plenty of kids coming in next year and a '16 that we're still recruiting," she said. "You always think you want more numbers, but now you don't, because if kids aren't happy because they don't play one second or one game then things change. But we're not going to do anything with the roster. We're fine where we're at. (The) '17 (class) is loaded, '18 is loaded, we only lose two that following year, so we're not going to be anxious. You never know what can happen in the spring, a lot of transfers, a lot of things happen in the spring time, so we'll see what happens."

Last edited:
Versyp clearly has a plan. I am sure she would like to get some 5 star players and I am sure she tries. Does not seem to be happening for her, but she is getting a bevy of good athletes and that it appears will continue for her. So far this year is one of her best coached teams in my opinion. The new understanding for Purdue WBB, whether we like it or not, is if the fan base will accept a consistently winning team that competes for the top echelon of the BT and has a shot at the NCAA most years. I know there are some on here that will say that is not enough and, indeed, it is impossible to know if a new coach can make those recruiting breakthroughs that kept us on the national stage we were once on a lot. It will be interesting to see the view of the new AD.

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT