ADVERTISEMENT

We Can Beat Iowa

outis

True Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
Caitlin is going to take 28 shots. Somebody should be on her like white on rice. Then there is their big girl on the glass. Someone has to guard her tightly. She has killed us in the past. I would double team both of these players and let the other Hawkeyes beat me. On our side of the ball, at least 2 of our sharpshooters must be on. We have no chance if we do not hit at least 35% of 3 point efforts. Have watched Iowa a couple of times and it amazes me how many times Caitlin rebounds the ball and dribbles the length of the court to shoot with no one picking her up. Someone (or 2) has to step up and play some defense. Caitlin has the star rep so she gets a lot of calls, but someone has to sacrifice herself and play some defense. C'mon Katie, I know you can coach em up for this one. Let tonight be the night that the Boilermakers command some attention in the league.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Caitlin is going to take 28 shots. Somebody should be on her like white on rice. Then there is their big girl on the glass. Someone has to guard her tightly. She has killed us in the past. I would double team both of these players and let the other Hawkeyes beat me. On our side of the ball, at least 2 of our sharpshooters must be on. We have no chance if we do not hit at least 35% of 3 point efforts. Have watched Iowa a couple of times and it amazes me how many times Caitlin rebounds the ball and dribbles the length of the court to shoot with no one picking her up. Someone (or 2) has to step up and play some defense. Caitlin has the star rep so she gets a lot of calls, but someone has to sacrifice herself and play some defense. C'mon Katie, I know you can coach em up for this one. Let tonight be the night that the Boilermakers command some attention in the league.
Our best perimeter defender other than Terry who needs to be on their primary ball handler has been out the last two games and even if she plays will not likely be 100%, our best post defenders start the game on the bench in favor of Harper's offensive potential, and our outside shooters have a history of tanking against good competition. Clark is a legit all american and its not because teams don't know she's good and don't focus on her, its because there are only a handful of players capable of effectively guarding her in all of D1, and none of them will be in uniform for Purdue tonight. Also playing 1 on 3 if we doubled their post and Clark gets us beat by 60 and the game looks like a layup line as Iowa is well coached and would easily overcome such a foolish move. MAYBE box and 1 or diamond and 1 would work, but only if we practice it a lot, and since we have not seen it in games, I very much doubt we have that junk defense in our arsenal.

I see Iowa winning by 10-15 points, sure hope I’m wrong, can’t see Purdue keeping up with their scoring. If it’s low scoring they got a shot I suppose.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Well, we started out shooting poorly, and except for the 3rd quarter, finished the same way. we also missed several bunnies as well as many 3 pointers. We did a pretty good job on CZ under the boards this time, but Caitlin and their other 3 point shooters buried us. We looked a little intimidated. Gotta get back to attacking and hitting more 3s.

ADVERTISEMENT